• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eiji Aonuma: “No one explicitly said that that was Link.”

There are rules when it comes to proportions and anatomy regardless of the art style.
Well, women and men have all sorts of anatomy. There really aren't any rules that are more important that someone's personal art style and things like that.

Kuja from Final Fantasy IX has a much tinier waist than hips.

royalan

The character doesn't really have hips. It looks wider on that one shot because of the pose (the knees are raised making his/her butt look bigger.

Look at the seam going up the side of the tunic. There'd be a more pronounced curve if the torso were that twisted. Also, hell, just look at the tunic itself. It's tailored to be narrow at the waist and widen at the hips. A tunic made for a male would not be cut this way.

orochi91

It would be awesome if some role-reversal were to happen in this game.

Zelda rescuing Link!

This is seriously exciting and I've barely ever played a Zelda game lmao.

Excited to pick up a Wii U at some point.

This could mean plenty of things, seriously master troll:

A. He's saying that they made Link even more female-like for the sake of causing a stir in comments and getting interest in the game.

B. He's confirming that Link is male but that the reactions to a female protagonist might make them consider in the future a female-starring game.

C. They're giving you the option to choose the sex of the protagonist, with the male version called Link and the female version called something else. Seeing how outside of Skyward Sword there was never much romance between Link and Zelda, this wouldn't really make the game that different.

D. He's still hiding the character is a female.

The wording of "one of the most interesting reactions" makes it seem to me like he wasn't expecting it, hence a bigger scale on the fact he never implied the character is female. But seeing an opportunity to keep the hype he then went full "don't quote me" as to not confirm and end the discussion.

Squishy3

What if we get some actual insight into Link's parentage this time? Maybe he/she won't be an abandoned orphan left to live in whatever little no-name village. :p

Eiji Aonuma said:
That might be something that consciously we kind of did, but not to say anything specific – I am not saying anything specific – but, I am hoping people continue to comment, and I will continue to follow the fan comments and reactions to the trailer. I am certainly curious, and I am sure there are things we as developers can glean.

Actually, thinking about it, this is like the exact way he acted when people figured out Fi was the Master Sword.

I wonder if he's gotten any better at teasing (read: hiding stuff) or if it's the same situation again, where people figured something out and he just won't confirm it right away.

Popnbake

This is probably old by now, but

Q: I thought that, too. I thought maybe it was Zelda when I first saw Link on Epona in the distance.

Eiji Aonuma: That might be something that consciously we kind of did, but not to say anything specific – I am not saying anything specific– but, I am hoping people continue to comment, and I will continue to follow the fan comments and reactions to the trailer. I am certainly curious, and I am sure there are things we as developers can glean.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/06/11/is-link-a-girl-in-zelda-on-wii-u.aspx

post-23747-Oprah-shaking-head-NO-gif-Imgu-SO8b.gif

He's going to drag this out for as long as he can, isn't he?

III-V

In the way that he says it, I can imagine Link posing as Zelda, possibly to draw the enemy, and then the reveal, on the bridge, where he rips off the cloak, this is a surprise to the enemy.

It was a set-up

cube444

Even if you get to play as Zelda I can't see Nintendo not allowing you to play as Link at some point in the game. If not, lots of Zelda fans would go nuts.

In the way that he says it, I can imagine Link posing as Zelda, possibly to draw the enemy, and then the reveal, on the bridge, where he rips off the cloak, this is a surprise to the enemy.

It was a set-up

In that case, it would be rather ironic that it was ripping the cloak off that gave more solid(-ish, depending on who you ask) evidence to the "protagonist is female" hypothesis than anything else.

Popnbake

He wants the hype to build, understandably.

Sure but at this rate he's prolonging it with "You think it's a female character? Hmm, it's possible. ;)" building up the expectations for those expecting it.

If he comes out with "lol it was Link♂ all along!" afterwards then it may do more harm than good.

But of course he could say "We may have a female protagonist next time. ;)" to avoid possible negative reactions.

That type of hype building is just unnecessary.

royalan

I'd hate for the character to be Zelda. There's only so many times you can play what is basically the same story remixed among the same cast of characters.

Besides, the idea of Zelda saving Link never made sense to me. Remember, Link is a nobody, a character nobody knows exists until he saves the world. That's kind of the point of his character. He has no value outside of his role as the Hero of Time, and if you're going to save the hero...well, some hero he turned out to be. Why would you even need him then?

I want this to be a brand new female character, hopefully that we play as. A completely new addition to the mythos. God, these are the EXACT kind of changes they need to make to the Zelda formula to bring the fresh feeling back again. It has been too long since I played a Zelda game and didn't know, ultimately, how everything was going to turn out.

cube444

I'd hate for the character to be Zelda. There's only so many times you can play what is basically the same story remixed among the same cast of characters.

Besides, the idea of Zelda saving Link never made sense to me. Remember, Link is a nobody, a character nobody knows exists until he saves the world. That's kind of the point of his character. He has no value outside of his role as the Hero of Time, and if you're going to save the hero...well, some hero he turned out to be. Why would you even need him then?

I want this to be a brand new female character, hopefully that we play as. A completely new addition to the mythos. God, these are the EXACT kind of changes they need to make to the Zelda formula to bring the fresh feeling back again. It has been too long since I played a Zelda game and didn't know, ultimately, how everything was going to turn out.

Some will say that's change just for the sake of change. Others will say it simply isn't a Zelda game without Link.

Wazzy

Banned
The more he avoids answering who it is the more it's looking like it's a female character.

Hopefully it turns out to be true.

Albo

Ending spoilers

Link speaks at the end of the game, is revealed to be female, everyone has a new favourite waifu even though they thought she was male throughout the whole game.

I can imagine why Aounuma would say nothing to clarify the matter before the game's released if there's a twist like that.

Demise cursed the bloodline of those who share the blood of the goddess (hylia/zelda) and the spirit of the hero (link), so there's a possibility a female link which inherits the spirit of the hero can be born. It's strange that all the links would be male given the probability of a boy or girl being born. Given demise's curse the characyer has to be link or zelda right because they are bound to battle this evil? Who else would you play as?

But I would still consider female link to be link, so aonuma's qoute is confusing, unless it's zelda or an already known/established zelda character something, it would always be link, to me anyway. Maybe he just meant in terms of gender this isn't the traditional link since the character is female.

Deitus

Maybe they'll just never specify gender.

Honestly I could see them going that direction.

Link was never a defined character, he was the "link" between the player and the game, and his character was whatever you projected on him.

I could see them carrying that a few steps further. Do you think Link is male? Then he is male. Do you think Link is female? Then she's female. Of course they wouldn't actually say this outright, they would just play coy in interviews and answer a question with a question.

Q: "Is this new Link a female?"
A: "What do you think?"

This is probably old by now, but

Eiji Aonuma: That might be something that consciously we kind of did, but not to say anything specific – I am not saying anything specific – but, I am hoping people continue to comment, and I will continue to follow the fan comments and reactions to the trailer. I am certainly curious, and I am sure there are things we as developers can glean.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/06/11/is-link-a-girl-in-zelda-on-wii-u.aspx

Hmm, strange phrasing by Aonuma. It's possible that internally they want to use Zelda as the protagonist (and have already steered the plot and design that way), but he's floating this with the fans to gauge interest first, guessing that we would probably pick it apart and find the feminine aspects.

I think if Aonuma wants to shake up the series, and also draw in more female gamers to the series, this would be a great way to do so. I'd personally be hyped if this turns out to be Zelda.

Haunted

It was a set-up
1893302_o.gif

I think if Aonuma wants to shake up the series, and also draw in more female gamers to the series, this would be a great way to do so. I'd personally be hyped if this turns out to be Zelda.
Just some anecdotal evidence for fun, my female friend who's pretty nuts for Zelda absolutely refuses to even float the idea of a female Link when we were talking about this earlier. Link needs to be a hunk for her to be happy (which is why she also refuses to accept Toon Link).

She's a bit of a sexist.

Top Bottom