• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eiji Aonuma: “No one explicitly said that that was Link.”

Darkangel

To me it almost sounds like they made his gender ambiguous on purpose in order to gauge the fan reaction. Maybe we'll end up with a selectable gender or something.

Mik317

you have a lot of games, good games, with female leads, why is it that link needs to be rule63d, thats ridiculous

do we really?

I personally don't care as the character , male or female, looks awesome to me so I am there anyway.

but people are acting mad selfish here lol

Not

Banned
To me it almost sounds like they made his gender ambiguous on purpose in order to gauge the fan reaction. Maybe we'll end up with a selectable gender or something.

This is what I'm thinking.

Come on, guys, that's the playable character in the trailer. You're really grasping at straws here.

Heroman

Banned
Sure, combined. That's not individual character growth. Links may be similar in the way they act in some ways, but they don't actually change or develop based on the experiences of their predecessors

Getting a clone vibe from using the term "Links." Kinda creepin me out
Samus has no growth 95% of the metroid games. She stays the same for all most game unlike Link.

-Horizon-

As much as I joked about Aonuma's non-answer before, I'm beginning to believe this. At least a part of me does.

ZenTzen

do we really?

I personally don't care as the character , male or female, looks awesome to me so I am there anyway.

but people are acting mad selfish here lol

yes we do, metroids, tomb raiders, bayonettas

And how is it selfish, does everything need to be called selfish when people dont like some things

TEJ

I dunno if making Link a female is the best way of handling things

Now, playing as an older Aryll would be pretty damned cool. She's a canonical character, has her own personality, has direct ties to link that a story could be based around...etc etc etc

Jea Song

Did the right thing
I seriously doubt that link as we know him ( green tunic, male) won't be in this game.

Perhaps you can play as a male or female in this new one. Maybe the stories come together at the end. Maybe you have to beat the game as both link and this new character to get the " good" ending. So many possibilities. Who knows really. Could be trolling, either way, it has our attention.

BY2K

Membero Americo
There's always very little uses of "he/his" in Zelda games when characters refer to Link. And it's always been possible to name Link whatever we wanted. So maybe they are pushing it a bit further. A system to change "he/she" to whatever gender the player chooses would take minimal effort.

Gendre choice would be possible.

“No one explicitly said that that was Link. But you can make that character Link if you want to.”

Mik317

yes we do, metroids, tomb raiders, bayonettas

And how is it selfish, does everything need to be called selfish when people dont like some things

One series is dead ATM

One series will be dead

and besides that is 3 games against countless games with male leads. I am not expecting you to name every game series with female leads but trust me 2 1\2 great series doesn't make up for the imbalance .

It is selfish that you are mad that they are changing something so small to perhaps please others. You don't have to like it but you probably should understand that not everything is for you and sometimes you have to share.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
There's always very little uses of "he/his" in Zelda games when characters refer to Link. And it's always been possible to name Link whatever we wanted. So maybe they are pushing it a bit further. A system to change "he/she" to whatever gender the player chooses would take minimal effort.

“No one explicitly said that that was Link. But you can make that character Link if you want to.”

Don't they always say once a little boy reaches a certain age he wears a green tunic as tradition?

honestly I'd rather there just be two different playable characters. One Link, one someone else. I don't like Link's looks or gender not being established in the canon, female or Male.

BY2K

Membero Americo
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/06/11/is-link-a-girl-in-zelda-on-wii-u.aspx

What are your reactions to everyone's reactions to the Zelda Wii U reveal?

Eiji Aonuma: Because I have been at E3, I haven't had much time to spend in doing this research, but I certainly have been checking fan reaction and I am really excited many comments have said how beautiful the game looks. The designers have been working really hard to make sure the visuals look like something players don't expect, or maybe something they haven't seen before, and this applies to not just to the scenery, but to the enemies and things like that.

Another interesting comment I've heard, quite frequently actually, is that, "Oh Link's a woman. Link is female now."

I thought that, too. I thought maybe it was Zelda when I first saw Link on Epona in the distance.

Eiji Aonuma: That might be something that consciously we kind of did, but not to say anything specific – I am not saying anything specific – but, I am hoping people continue to comment, and I will continue to follow the fan comments and reactions to the trailer. I am certainly curious, and I am sure there are things we as developers can glean.

Damn it, that's even more vague...

It's interesting to know that he pays attention to the fans reaction. Maybe he'll adjust some things in response?

Jea Song

Did the right thing
I'm split on this one.

On one hand I'll be a bit "upset" if this isn't link. I expect link, I want to play link, that's why I buy The legend of Zelda games. Link is male, so I expect male. Is that too difficult to or too much to ask?

On the other hand I feel I can get excited that this may be a new character. A possible female one is very interesting to think about and can be a very refreshing thing.

One thing is for sure. It's going to be an excellent game.

Neiteio

Given the fluid and emergent nature of Zelda game development, and the fact story is often their last priority... and given Aonuma's GI comments that he's watching our reactions on this topic... I think he hasn't decided himself yet, and Link could become a girl based on what he thinks will have the most impact with fans.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Are people going to be disappointed if link is just a girl instead of being able to Ch-ch-ch-change at will?
I nominate this man for a tag for one of the best post edits ever.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=116035334&postcount=1656
Just posting this again. Link as stands is hardly a character. As a mental exercise, I would like anyone who disagrees to give me 10 words that describe his personality. I'd be impressed if you can make it to 5 honestly.

mantidor

Link is such a non character really, making him a girl or a boy does nothing to me at the end of the day. Same for story, I loved that weirdly reverse damsel in distress from Skyward Sword, I'm ok with that approach even if we "rescue" Zelda again.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
Honestly. Did someone here say they will boycott the game if it's not link? A male link?

I mean thats pretty ridiculous.

The game will be amazing,you will buy it day 1 don't kid yourself.

K' Dash

What was there to reveal when she took off that cloth or whatever it was? we knew it was link the one riding the horse, everybody knows what link looks like, the surprise was that it was Linkette, too much drama over showing her face.

To the people saying past Links looked androgynous, I must be blind, he always looked like a guy to me, until now.

rrs

I'm for playing Zelda in the game, or just keeping the gender neutral within the game and let you decide the gender.

Fredrik

Well they wanted the Link costume in Bayonetta and even insisted that they sexed it all up by removing some clothes. I could definitely see a female Link or even entirely customizable in the new Zelda.

Kuro

Just posting this again. Link as stands is hardly a character. As a mental exercise, I would like anyone who disagrees to give me 10 words that describe his personality. I'd be impressed if you can make it to 5 honestly.

Aloof, Selfless, Curious, Determined, Innocent, Protective, Sarcastic (Wind Waker), Quick-tempered at times, Jubilant, and Courageous.

-Horizon-

i second this
lets shake things up
Let's do it!

What was there to reveal when she took off that cloth or whatever it was? we knew it was link the one riding the horse, everybody knows what link looks like, the surprise was that it was Linkette, too much drama over showing her face.

To the people saying past Links looked androgynous, I must be blind, he always looked like a guy to me, until now.
I guess I've been conditioned by anime. When I saw the design my mind went first to it's a girl or a very convincing trap.

Piss off the hardcore conservative Zelda fans plz. :p
It doesn't take much effort. It doesn't even need to be about gender. The cel shading angered some who were wanting the tech demo style. Now just add in mandatory gyro controls for bow and arrow lol

zeldablue

A lot of the Link's have different character traits and completely different back stories. There are times when Link is very defined and other times when he is not. Also...people are able to recognize new Links based off of old legends they remember of an older Link. Meaning that all of the heroes share the same name and a similar attire.

OoT/MM Link:
Introverted
Lonely/yearns for friendship or acceptance
Awkward
Heroic
Courageous
Loyal
Forgiving
Innocent
Sheltered
Curious
Lazy/tired sometimes
Regretful/problems with failure/wants to redo things a lot.

TWW/PH Link
Grandmas boy
Protective
Mischievous
Cunning
Silly/clumsy
Curious
Courageous
Forgiving
Persistent
Leaps before he looks/impulsive

LA Link
Head in the clouds
Nostalgic
Yearns for home

Yeah? He doesn't talk but he's certainly a character doing things that relate to what he's going through.

seriously though guys he gets fucking reincarnated
your telling me he somehow is reincarnated as a guy every single time?
nah doesnt make sense

nah doesnt make sense

In fairness, it also doesn't make sense that something that pays little attention to science and law (reincarnation) would pay attention to probability and statistics.

sphagnum

Banned
I'd rather have Zelda in disguise than female Link, or Aryll. But a playable female is definitely preferable.

Zeldas blonde though
why would she need to dye her hair
She's a brunette in TP. There's no reason her hair has to be the same in every game.

zeldablue

nah doesnt make sense
A lot of cultures believe being reincarnated as a woman is a demotion. Of course Link wouldn't be reincarnated into a "lesser being."

:p

A friend of mine raises an interesting personal hypothesis of his, which I'm posting here for posterity:

Between the blue torso with white forearms and sleeves, the ponytail, and the way that Aonuma said that "That might be something that consciously we kind of did" in response to how the character almost looked like Zelda from a distance, he's now convinced that this is a young Sheik.

EVOL 100%

Link has always been pretty androgynous, but still looked noticeably like a guy. But they took that shit into a new level this time around(Asian audience that's more used to androgynous character designs have been mentioning this too), and the way Aonmuma's talking about it, it was clearly intentional.

Although I'd like female Link or character creation for some shaking up, I'm not minding if it just turns out to be male Link only if the game is good. I'm not sure why people are actually upset about the prospects about Link being a girl though

Dice//

Banned
It doesn't take much effort. It doesn't even need to be about gender. The cel shading angered some who were wanting the tech demo style. Now just add in mandatory gyro controls for bow and arrow lol

As a girl, it frightens me (and disheartens me) a bit how adamantly some feel that IT MUST BE A MAN!!! RAAAAUUUUGGGGHHHH!! and shit like that. I get that admiration for tradition, but.... brrr.
I'm not really keen on cell shading all the time (it's hit or miss with me), but I've never damned a title for going ahead with it. I honestly don't get hardcore fans even for series' I'm a *huge* fan of to begin with.

http://www.zeldadungeon.net/2014/06/new-zelda-wii-u-character-may-not-be-link/
(view top comments).

I like the female angle... Lord knows Nintendo needs more 'tougher ladies'... (i.e. "Smash Bros Worthy" after the really bad ratio of all of the past titles).

A lot of cultures believe being reincarnated as a woman is a demotion. Of course Link wouldn't be reincarnated into a "lesser being."

:p

Even as a joke I couldn't help but shiver...
gDS5aij.gif

Top Bottom