• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eiji Aonuma: “No one explicitly said that that was Link.”

The series director said he wants to change things up, because things have become too conventional and expected. Is that not a compelling reason? It makes me think "wow, maybe they're really going to do something interesting to this stale series"

And what's the alternative? Is "doing it just because that's how it's always been" a compelling reason? That's basically settling for inertia, which is saying that it's fine if the series continues to coast along in its formulaic ways. Ocarina of Time was a landmark game, but that over 15 years ago...the series desperately needs to be reinvented, in more ways than one.

I'd say don't make Link playable if that's the case.

Why? Aonuma already said it might have coop, at this point you're just being difficult.

I worry people are going to get so invested in the female Link idea that there's going to be a backlash against this game when it is revealed Aonuma is just being Aonuma.

Oh, well. They kind of opened themselves up to it, I guess.

Jintor

On average, a male nose is bigger than a female nose. At this point, I'm at risk of confirmation bias, so I'll let you be the judge:

9e2871f648bb79b3a69fec1aeb90f6c5.png
bee54c9e1230bd625c04acbd1024f153.png
059f4b7d9cfbc427ff4f8449c89ed493.png

Or maybe someone can overlap them or something to conclusively figure it out.

Nose?

Man, there are plenty of games series that have different protagonists in each game. So you're going to have to stop and ask yourself eventually:

If Link isn't in a Zelda game, is it still The Legend of Zelda?

I would have to say no. It may be the Legend of Zelda, but Link really is the star. He's the one we take on the adventure.

Female Link is still Link. Aonuma said the character is not necessarily Link. I don't think, whoever the character is, is a female Link.

I view it oppositely. One of Link's ongoing features in a way is being male; "Link" is presumably a male name in the Legend of Zelda universe. I am simply comparing the character to Link because it's a known male from the series, and Skyward Sword especially has a vaguely similar art style.

I believe the character to either be a new character that guessing the name of would be nigh impossible, or Zelda.

atr0cious

I disagree that it would be "disrespectful" to fans and the character, because Link is the ultimate faceless avatar.

So you're telling me Kafka was supposed to be an insert character because you can name him? This is just an easier way for devs to 'immerse' you. The writer of the story is told the characteristics of every character, what they will say, what they won't say, why they won't say it. Do they have a history with a certain affinity towards whatever, and so on. Link probably has more things he can and can't do than any other character in the story. The fact that you can relate to him is called good writing.

-Horizon-

Female Link is still Link. Aonuma said the character is not necessarily Link. I don't think, whoever the character is, is a female Link.
Felt too much like a non-answer to conclude with that imo.
Aonuma has to have a GAF account here somewhere. He or the others on the Zelda team must be reading this thread or someone at NoA is translating for them.

Golnei

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea. Not going to set myself up more disappointment though :p

I like the following ideas

- Female Link and a Prince Zelda
- Just a female link to mix up the mythology (could be a cool going-against-legend type of story)
- No hero appears, and it's up to Zelda to stop bad stuff from happening

I think at this point we're taking it a little too far though lol. He says that might not be Link, yet we're arguing if it's a female Link, not if it's Link at all.

Why is it so common to take genderswaps as a package deal? I'd much rather have both the game's leads be female.

Kieli

Well, does anyone want a female Mario and a Prince Peach?

Honestly, what's the point of changing their genders? That's not changing things up. That's just being random for the sake of being random.

Why not just create new characters with new genders?

I view it oppositely. One of Link's ongoing features in a way is being male; "Link" is presumably a male name in the Legend of Zelda universe. I am simply comparing the character to Link because it's a known male from the series, and Skyward Sword especially has a vaguely similar art style.

I believe the character to either be a new character that guessing the name of would be nigh impossible, or Zelda.

But why can't it be Link? We don't know the gender of the name Link in Hyrule. It could be a non-specific name, like Kelly, Dana, or Leslie in English.

So would you not play the game without Link? This is the big question Aonuma wants to know, you guys.

What games are there that you don't play as Link? None that I've played.

I would probably play this one if that were the case, but I would be pretty perturbed.

Jado

Banned
Someone probably brought this up, but what if it's create a character? Hence: open world RPG, not really Link because it's a custom-created lookalike, different clothing because it's equipped gear, no sword because it's a different class (archer) and so on.

-Horizon-

Honestly, what's the point of changing their genders? That's not changing things up. That's just being random for the sake of being random.

You're assuming that that's all they would change while still sticking with the same old Zelda plot formula.
With the focus on open world exploration and everything you can see, you can go to, I think the Zelda team is going to use this game to experiment with a lot of things.

Not

Banned

If I have to say the "multiple reincarnated iterations" thing one more time until people understand why these rule63 comparisons break down, I am going to bang my head against a skillet

Heroman

Banned
Someone probably brought this up, but what if it's create a character? Hence: open world RPG, not really Link because it's a custom-created lookalike, different clothing because it's equipped gear, no sword because it's a different class (archer) and so on.

The problem with that is zelda isn't a rpg and that it wouldn't be zelda

LegendX48

On average, a male nose is bigger than a female nose. At this point, I'm at risk of confirmation bias, so I'll let you be the judge:

It's hard to say given the lighting but, going by the TP Link, it does seem like this new Link, or whoever it is, has a bit of a thinner nose. The bridge I can't say for sure but, nostril to nostril, it isn't quite as wide.

Mik317

I worry people are going to get so invested in the female Link idea that there's going to be a backlash against this game when it is revealed Aonuma is just being Aonuma.

Oh, well. They kind of opened themselves up to it, I guess.

lol.

"No one explicitly said that is was Link.............

but it was Link"

... Going by the idea I suggested earlier of
the protagonist's gender never getting revealed until after the game launches, leaving characters to suspect another male-knight-saves-princess quest the whole game, until the protagonist speaks briefly at the end in an unambiguously female voice, with the lesbian relationship remaining a non-issue for Nintendo PR partly thanks to how much of a spoiler it would be
, it would actually be surprisingly similar to Metroid in that
the character's gender would be a spoiler up until the last moment of the game

Talking this over with the friend I mentioned last post, he formed the crackpot/wild mass guessing hypothesis that
the game will be a prequel to Metroid, citing the ponytail, blue clothing, sideburn-ish (best way I can describe it where you'll know what I'm talking about) hair pattern in front of the ears, and laser-based/futuristic weapons being similar to those of Zero Suit Samus

Fredrik

Oh, seeing them close together like that makes them all look the same, the differences are tiny, male Link is male Link, he barely look male in any of those designs looking at his face, I think I'll go by no boobs no girl for now :p

Not

Banned
What games are there that you don't play as Link? None that I've played.

I would probably play this one if that were the case, but I would be pretty perturbed.

Might be not a bad thing though. Who knows? Kinda exciting, huh?

It's funny, some people complain about the staleness of the franchise and others don't want anything to change. I guess this is just another situation like that, and that's just how it's always been.

I humbly submit a new theory:

Why isn't this horse Epona? If Link is now female, she could still ride Epona. If this is a new character who was still a reincarnation of the hero, he or she could still ride Epona. But this horse is clearly not Epona. Which says to me that Epona exists in this world and this is a different horse. Epona is Link's horse, so therefore Link exists in this world and this is not Link. Maybe it's Zelda (has she ridden a horse before?). But I'm betting on this being Link and Zelda's daughter (or son).

Look, this horse looks a lot like Epona just like this character looks a lot like a mix between Link and Zelda. It could be the foal of Epona.

But yeah, who knows. I'm just pretty sure this ain't Link.

No one explicitly said it wasn't Link either. Also, that character doesn't look female to me as much as I'd love a female protagonist whether it be a female Link or Zelda or whomever.

Karkador

Banned
I was proposing a compromise so that both people can play with the "toy" you're the one being difficult, by refusing to want anything other than what tailboard completely for you.

Let's assume this new game's main character is Zelda, and playable.
Let's do it your way and compromise, and also have Link be his average self in the game, also playable.

To me, that compromise can go one of two ways:

1) You play as Zelda and do some things, but Link steps in later when things get too hot to handle. Sorry, Zelda, but this wasn't your game after all, and we know who the 'real hero' is.
This is basically nothing new.

2) Zelda is the main character, and you play with her for 90% of the game, with Link coming in somewhere in the middle to go search for some some dew drops of light or some chaos emeralds or something.
You and the rest of the Zelda traditionalists call it the worst Zelda game ever because it teased your one true hero, much like how the Metal Gear fanbase collectively lost their religion when you only played as Snake for half an hour in MGS2. This will be very annoying

So no, there is no compromise.

Now you know that's not true. Link wins every single "best character ever" poll on Gamefaqs every year. People are extremely attached to this "faceless avatar."

No one would have sent angry petitions at Nintendo over Space World 2001, if we didn't care about Link's character. o____o

You're talking about my favorite character ever here.

I'm not saying Link is like a block of tofu, but he is designed to be The Hero for the player. I think people love the character because they can see themselves or who they'd like to be in Link. Link does have character traits, but those traits are archetypal and not necessarily traits which define his personality. Because it's a different Link in every game.

Anyway, I'm not concerned about Link, I'm #teamzelda.

Let's assume this new game's main character is Zelda, and playable.
Let's do it your way and compromise, and also have Link be his average self in the game, also playable.

To me, that compromise can go one of two ways:

1) You play as Zelda and do some things, but Link steps in later when things get too hot to handle. Sorry, Zelda, but this wasn't your game after all, and we know who the 'real hero' is.
This is basically nothing new.

2) Zelda is the main character, and you play with her for 90% of the game, with Link coming in somewhere in the middle to go search for some some dew drops of light or some chaos emeralds or something.
You and the rest of the Zelda traditionalists call it the worst Zelda game ever because it teased your one true hero, much like how the Metal Gear fanbase collectively lost their religion when you only played as Snake for half an hour in MGS2. This will be very annoying

Neither of these were what I was suggesting at all. I was talking a character select screen or something with both characters having unique abilities, where both Link and Zelda are on the adventure together and you can switch out at any time. The story would involve both equally. My evidence being that Aonuma already teased multiplayer.

Oh, seeing them close together like that makes them all look the same, the differences are tiny, male Link is male Link, he barely look male in any of those designs looking at his face, I think I'll go by no boobs no girl for now :p

A friend and I agree that the newest protagonist has higher cheek bones, making the new face feminine. Not even the increasingly androgynous TP and SS Links can boast that! The face is also rounder (the chin is narrower, pretty much coming to a point).

Top Bottom