• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eiji Aonuma thinks that he can top Breath of the Wild. How?!?

ryechu

I disagree HEAVILY with the bolded. Instead of removing those elements entirely there should be ways to manage them. There should be a way to preform maintenance on weapons when near a fireplace, the climbing problems during rain and slow climbing can be both solved with an optional upgrade (let's call them "claws") that has to be earned.

Combat wise the only things I'd want is to be able to defend with a broadsword: They can let you take chip damage so Shields will still have a use and let you parry without having to put up your broadsword to then grab your shield, and to have link preform his best Captain America impression - to have the ability to throw shields.

Yeah that suggestion is disgusting. At least, he suggests that they also change every other aspect of the game. The appeal of Breath of the Wild, exploring places and finding treasure, cool elemental weapons that function as tools, the ability to get any weapon that an enemy is using, shrine rewards being useful, are all enabled by the fact that weapons break. They could balance the system a lot better, but I think it deserves another attempt.

Also I can appreciate the hold and cook mechanics because it shows their commitment to letting their gameplay systems dictate all interactions through the same interface. They don't want a wildly varied "cooking" interface. The way you toss elemental chuchu jellys, drop items, drop food, toss bait, cook, create balloons, create fire, are all done using the same interface. It can be clunky and confusing, but its important for encouraging experimentation.

I disagree with all these MM darker tones... TP was plenty dark.. MM was just weird... plus it had nothing to do with Zelda. (It's the Dark Souls 2 of the series) If they do, don't call it a Legend of Zelda.

MM is amazing. Zelda is prominent in the game but she plays a role. MM was dark in a twisted way. Prob my fav 3D Zelda as far as world is concerned.

Yeah that suggestion is disgusting. At least, he suggests that they also change every other aspect of the game. The appeal of Breath of the Wild, exploring places and finding treasure, cool elemental weapons that function as tools, the ability to get any weapon that an enemy is using, shrine rewards being useful, are all enabled by the fact that weapons break. They could balance the system a lot better, but I think it deserves another attempt.

Also I can appreciate the hold and cook mechanics because it shows their commitment to letting their gameplay systems dictate all interactions through the same interface. They don't want a wildly varied "cooking" interface. The way you toss elemental chuchu jellys, drop items, drop food, toss bait, cook, create balloons, create fire, are all done using the same interface. It can be clunky and confusing, but its important for encouraging experimentation.

I honestly do not like the cooking implementation at all. You should just be able to cook from an interface specific for it. Because its just a time waste an annoyance the way it is now with no actual benefit.

Sometimes streamlining is just the better option imo.

eliochip

I disagree with all these MM darker tones... TP was plenty dark.. MM was just weird... plus it had nothing to do with Zelda. (It's the Dark Souls 2 of the series) If they do, don't call it a Legend of Zelda.

I feel like TP was dark aesthetically only. The story felt pretty lighthearted to me.

MM was the complete opposite. Looks childlike but is pretty twisted and dark in the background.

PS Dark Souls 2 is my favorite Dark Souls having played every Soulsborne game since Demon's. My tastes are not reflective of the majority i suppose

Astral Dog

They did what they could. But the dungeons and weapon system are a weak part of BotW that could be improved.

As of the sequel im not sure why op is freaking out. Lbviously they have to do one eventually if they want to keep their BUSINESS good luck Aonuma and team :)

Skyrender10

Neo Member
I am loving my 20 hours journey

From what i have seen, For me to reach perfection the next game needs

Option for Higher difficulty in battles
Even more moves in meele fights
More enemies variety
More story atached to each region, greater sidequests
More armor variety
Multiple companions
Deep caves with enemies and loot, i havent seen any cave
Shortcut for food

At least 10 full dungeons

Astral Dog

Not having awful voiceacting would be a start,i cant believe they mess this up

Better Hardware is a good start. Breath of the Wild had to run on the WiiU's CPU.

Imagine how many concurrent systems you could combine together with a 2017 or later CPU.
You mean 2015 cpu right?

This game is incredible, and I absolutely agree that it deserves at 10/10 rating.

But that doesn't mean it couldn't be improved....

I hope there will be another Zelda game with a similar layout/ + improvements.

Experimenting with the formula keeps it fresh.

Haines

Banned
I like how op states it's such a massive game that's been out for 3 days but we're all supposed to discuss topping it.

Like we've all seen what the game has to offer in its entirety?

Lordy

Zweisy1

Of course there's always room for improvement. Maybe not necessarely something even bigger but maybe smaller and more concise would be the way to go.

Some meaty puzzle dungeons would go a long way for even a better overall experience.

That said, the game has blown me away.. the first sort of 2 hours I wasn't really feeling it. Took a while getting used to the chances to the formula and the subtle atmospheric music, the inventory management was kinda annoying at first.
Really really loving it now after substantial time of exploring the gorgeous world filled with lovely details all over the place.. it's incredible how fun, interactive and dynamic the whole package is.. I was losing hope there would ever be a Zelda that I would love as much as Link's Awakening but this might even take the 1st place when all is said and done.

10/10 has lost its meaning to me because it's been thrown around like nothing for e.g every Uncharted and Grand Theft Auto etc.. this is the first game for a while now that feels like it actually deserves the crazy hype and praise

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
So you basically want them to reverse every new feature they added into the game...

Well, no. I did, for instance, not say, that the open structure of the overworld should be reversed or that the more dynamic battle system should be reversed, or that the interesting climbing spots should be removed. I just asked for the needlessly more complicated systems and the pockets of emptiness to go.

Pejo

Gold Member
All he has to do is get rid of this weapon durability mechanic. My only negative on BotW.

Honestly though, this is a great game.

Planet

The era of video games is over! It lasted from 1950 to late last week.

Now, there is only Breath of the Wild. Praise the lord (that is Breath of the Wild). Stop playing those video games now, they are outdated and have evolved into this.

Did I do it right? Or not enough hyperbole for the current zeitgeist?

The era of video games is over! It lasted from 1950 to late last week.

Now, there is only Breath of the Wild. Praise the lord (that is Breath of the Wild). Stop playing those video games now, they are outdated and have evolved into this.

Did I do it right? Or not enough hyperbole for the current zeitgeist?

Every other developer should cancel their game. It's not worth anymore. We got the game of all games.

Peltz

All he has to do is get rid of this weapon durability mechanic. My only negative on BotW.

Honestly though, this is a great game.

I feel like the durability mechanic is so essential to making the game what it is though. You're constantly forced to scavenge for new weapons and never know what new one you're going to find.

SomTervo

I can think of a number of things:
- Remove the weapon breaking
- Shrink down the world to about a 16th
- Increase the density of the world (more than 16 fold due to the shrinking)
- Bring back the overworld puzzles from SS
- Rebalance the game by either making the puzzles harder or the fights easier (as it is now, the fights are disproportionately difficult when compared to the puzzles)
- Increase the speed of the game, in particular the slow-ass climbing
- Remove random elements that slow down the player without any significant gameplay gain
- Tone down the upgrading / forging to make for a more approachable game while not taking away anything from the main mechanics
- Bring back proper dungeons
- Increase presentational variety in the shrines
- Improve controls - button mapping is less than ideal

That is, if they want to continue the path set out by BotW.

Sounds a lot like you should just replay the previous games

hao chi

While it's exciting that he presumably has some ideas for things that can be improved and added, I hope this doesn't mean that his idea for an IP starring a thief doesn't come to fruition. I hope that's his next game, and besides, I'm sure he can use a break from Zelda.

- Rebalance the game by either making the puzzles harder or the fights easier (as it is now, the fights are disproportionately difficult when compared to the puzzles)
- Remove random elements that slow down the player without any significant gameplay gain
- Tone down the upgrading / forging to make for a more approachable game while not taking away anything from the main mechanics

You won't even be able to take a step without tripping over Korok puzzles with your changes.

I was just thinking it should unbalance the resistance so you're weaker towards cold and stronger against heat. Just makes sense to me. But sure, maybe you can run faster and climb faster too!

I don't know about running or climbing but a NPC does say you swim faster when you're wearing just your underwear.

MADGAME

I've already been playing for what feels like far too long and I've barely scratched the surface; I just installed the Parental Controls app on my phone just so that I can track my play time because I'm pretty sure I've already dropped more than 15 hours into it and I'm only up to the first village.

15 hours of play feels far too long to you?

Pejo

Gold Member
I feel like the durability mechanic is so essential to making the game what it is though. You're constantly forced to scavenge for new weapons and never know what new one you're going to find.

I would have less of an issue with it, if you could repair the ones you really like (wouldn't change the gameplay effect during a battle and out/away from town), or if they had way more durability in general. I should be able to kill more than 2 monsters without my weapon breaking, which is the part that frustrates me. Hell, even give me a box to put weapons I just like the look of, that I don't want to break/lose.

Hero

No offense but these sound like terrible changes. Play the earlier games if that's what you want, because that's exactly what you described.

I would have less of an issue with it, if you could repair the ones you really like (wouldn't change the gameplay effect during a battle and out/away from town), or if they had way more durability in general. I should be able to kill more than 2 monsters without my weapon breaking, which is the part that frustrates me. Hell, even give me a box to put weapons I just like the look of, that I don't want to break/lose.
You can mark on the map with a weapon stamp to keep track of weapon locations. Also you get 3 weapon, sheild and bow racks each in your house.

I'll respond to these one by one

This game becomes totally unbalanced if you can just get the strongest weapons and steamroll enemies for the entire game. Breakable weapons mean you're constantly having to adapt to your current equipment. The game does durability better than other games because in other games it's mostly just an annoyance that doesn't impact the game very much. In Breath of the Wild, equipment is consumable which means you have to manage it like any other resource. The game constantly throws new weapons at you, so you're never out of gear anyway.

The game is already very, very dense given the world size. I'd go so far as to say it's easily the densest Zelda game I've played when you control for how vast the world is and how much there is to do in it. The only area that feels a little too sparse is the large field outside the plateau, and that's purposefully sparse for
horseback Guardian battles

These are still in the game. There are more of them than there were in SS.

I'm having exactly the opposite experience; the puzzles are much more difficult than the battles for me.

Climbing is deliberately slow so enemies can pick you off if you try to escape combat. There are ways to climb faster.

Upgrading/foraging is the way the game becomes more approachable without setting a low difficulty bar. Too hard? Improve your armor, scavenge for gear, cook strong meals, craft elixirs.

These things don't make games less approachable. Skyrim has sold way more copies than Zelda ever has, and it's full of this kind of thing. The problem with complex games is that the complexity often gets in the way of fun. I don't see this happening with BotW in its current state (this happened all the time with Puzzelda, though.)

I absolutely agree with these. The shrines were cool but I wish they could have at least varied visually by region, and I'm hoping for more "temples" in future games. Button mapping would also have been really nice.

Pejo

Gold Member
You can mark on the map with a weapon stamp to keep track of weapon locations. Also you get 3 weapon, sheild and bow racks each in your house.

Hold the phone a second. You get a house? Oh man, can you spoiler tag me where to get it? I need that right now to dump some weapons that I've been holding on to, for way too long. Also, do all the weapons respawn? Like even in shrine chests?

Hold the phone a second. You get a house? Oh man, can you spoiler tag me where to get it? I need that right now to dump some weapons that I've been holding on to, for way too long. Also, do all the weapons respawn? Like even in shrine chests?
House is in
Hateno Village and costs 3000 rupees, the racks are 100 each
. I'm not sure if shrine chests respawn but enemy camp chests seem to. I also mark on the map where I find useful items and weapons so if I need them I can just travel there and pick them up. Also be sure to find the Korok that upgrades your inventory.

Raven117

Gold Member

Some of this I agree with...The weapon breaking is terribly too frequent. I cant get through a fight without having to switch at least once.
Controls are clunky as is the combat.

Other than that...the "slow-ness" is kinda a selling point because it makes it all feel right to me.

rekameohs

Banned

Sounds like you just want Ocarina of Time - what would it be - 6?

Pejo

Gold Member
House is in
Hateno Village and costs 3000 rupees, the racks are 100 each
. I'm not sure if shrine chests respawn but enemy camp chests seem to. I also mark on the map where I find useful items and weapons so if I need them I can just travel there and pick them up. Also be sure to find the Korok that upgrades your inventory.

Wew, looks like I need to do some ore farming. Thanks for the tips, I'm super excited to do this and get my inventory back, lol.

This is the first 3D open world game Nintendo has ever made, isn't it? I know people say Zelda 1 was, but that was prior to GTA3 and Shenmue.

They can probably do better on the next one. This is their rookie effort to some degree. There's probably some elements that they were hamstrung on due to how they made some system back when they didn't really "know" open world game design yet.

I kinda feel like thinking Nintendo can't top this is like someone in the 80s thinking Mario 1 couldn't be topped. How many 1st entires are the best entries have they made? Especially when the first one is them trying a new genre.

This is the first 3D open world game Nintendo has ever made, isn't it? I know people say Zelda 1 was, but that was prior to GTA3 and Shenmue.

They can probably do better on the next one. This is their rookie effort to some degree. There's probably some elements that they were hamstrung on due to how they made some system back when they didn't really "know" open world game design yet.

I kinda feel like thinking Nintendo can't top this is like someone in the 80s thinking Mario 1 couldn't be topped. How many 1st entires are the best entries have they made? Especially when the first one is them trying a new genre.
Xenoblade X is their first open world game, some of the Monolith Soft dev staff worked on Zelda too.

Jacobson

The thing with removing weapons breaking is, they wanted you to be able to get your enemies' weapons. If they don't break, you'd end up with a shitton of weapons you won't be needing, using. Maybe a little somewhere in between.

Skyrender10

Neo Member
The thing with removing weapons breaking is, they wanted you to be able to get your enemies' weapons. If they don't break, you'd end up with a shitton of weapons you won't be needing, using. Maybe a little somewhere in between.

I like the feature makes loot always important, and it adds an extra layer of fun, i have engaged in a lot of fights just using the enemy weapons of that specific encounter only

Well, no. I did, for instance, not say, that the open structure of the overworld should be reversed or that the more dynamic battle system should be reversed, or that the interesting climbing spots should be removed. I just asked for the needlessly more complicated systems and the pockets of emptiness to go.

Yeah, just take everything out of BOTW that makes it good.
Makes sense.

I think Breath of the Wild is amazing and probably my favorite game at this moment in time but no game is perfect! There are quite a few things you can tweak to make the "ultimate zelda experience" next time around IMO. The fact that they nailed it on the first try should be exciting, because they're about to come back stronger than that next time now that the building blocks are already in place. The future of the Zelda series couldn't be more exciting.

I think Breath of the Wild is amazing and probably my favorite game at this moment in time but no game is perfect! There are quite a few things you can tweak to make the "ultimate zelda experience" next time around IMO. The fact that they nailed it on the first try should be exciting, because they're about to come back stronger than that next time now that the building blocks are already in place. The future of the Zelda series couldn't be more exciting.

Exactly how I feel.

Keep the same building blocks that are already there, but add more fresh and new content that isn't just another version of Hyrule remixed, but something like North Hyrule in Zelda II, Termina in Majora's Mask, or Holodrum or Labrynna from the Oracles titles that takes us to new places and environments and gives us new races to meet and enemies to defeat.

Fbh

Haven't played the game, and I'm sure it's really really good.

But I doubt it's perfect. I doubt there is literally nothing they can improve.
Is the combat right now literally perfect?
Does it have the best puzzles ever?
The best bosses ever?
The best art direction ever ?
The best story ever?

As a whole experience and how it all comes together I'm sure it's one of the best games. But I doubt every single aspect of it on its own is perfect.
Hell, a Zelda thats just as good as BotW bit with no frame rate drops would technically already be a better game.

If you ask me you follow this up with a sequel that's similar in style but keeps polishing, improving and innovating in its game mechanics and design.

WHAT? :D

Dude.

I disagree BACK! MM has the best characters, the darkest atmosphere and yes, positively weird situations as well. It's like a nightmare that's too coherent to be just a dream.

The feeling of doom is phenomenal and the pacing between dungeons and everything else is more balanced than in any other traditional Zelda. If anything it's the Bloodborne of Zelda.

The Big N

Banned
My guess is Nintendo will want to recycle the engine and physics system. I wouldn't be surprised if BotW got a Majora's Mask type sequel.

Improvements could probably include better performance optimization and improvements in the voice acting department. I think there is plenty of room to offer more items from previous Zelda games, and personally I would rather have 3x more dungeons and half the shrines.

I would be fine with a smaller game world if it meant more dungeons and better performance. Overall its going to be a hard game to top, but there is always room for improvements.

I always would prefer if each dungeon rewarded you with a permanent item that did not break. Otherwise, I wish you could repair items that you like. I don't mind changing weapons because there are benefits to using different weapons during different encounters, but as I said I wish there were ways to keep certain weapons.

Top Bottom