• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eiji Aonuma's Regrets For Twilight Princess (EDGE)

I really need to play Twilight Princess again to see how it stands up since the first time I played it at Wii's launch. I remember hating the first hour or two, as well as the stupid collection missions as the wolf, but after that it totally hooked me. Masterfully crafted dungeons, great items and the experience flowed really well.

My only complaints coming out of it was the fact the end boss twist came too abruptly and as such had no emotional impact ("Oh, so I have to fight him again?") and that there was nothing to do outside of the dungeons. I also think that, honestly, other than the Twilight realm, the game looked HORRIBLE after experiencing the HD era for a year. The visuals of games on Wii since then, such as Galaxy, gives me hope that this won't be so true with a 2010 Zelda game built specifically for the Wii.

I could be way more picky and over analyse it, but honestly, I don't want to. It's still right up there with Ocarina, Link to the Past and Majora's for me.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Dr. Muganda said:
Strongly disagree.
It started the whole timetravel clusterfuck storyline, also it introduced zelda to all those silly, pointless fantasy races like the gorons or zora (yeah I know they're in zelda since number one) that only feel tacked on and cheesy.

Wow, I think you hate everything that makes OOT great, OOT wouldn't be as epic as it is without the time travelling aspect (you go from a puny little kid to an under-equipped adult to a badass ganon ass-kicking adult). I, honestly, would never want to play a Zelda game created by you.

Cygnus X-1 said:
Sorry, but that's so wrong.

Recall both games for a moment and remember: in Kakariko's village of OoT, you had the chickens to collect, the song in the windmill, the mask of the guard, the song in the cemetery, Igor's excursion, the secret salesman, Talon outside the ranch. And of course the well, the hookshot and the expansion of the quiver. And I'm sure I'm missing things, because everything was doubled (but not in a cheap way) when Link grew up.

In Kakariko's village of TP, you had...what? The store-sidequest and...? Outside the bombs to buy, the bugs to collect (but that was part of the main-quest actually).

Then, to the Death mountain: in OoT you had the shop of medigoron, the rotating vessel, the door the lost woods, the Goron's bracelet small quest that implied Saria's song, the crater to explore, the fairy at the top of the mountain.

In TP? The only interesting thing was the quest to obtain the iron's boots, which implied the sumo wrestling match. This was not bad at all. But it was the only thing.

To Zora's domaine: in OoT, we had the side-quest important to obtain the Silver scale, the research of the disappeared Ruto, the quarter of heart behind the waterfall. Then, Link could obtain the wind of Farore and go the Hylia's lake which had not only the message of Ruto, but also the fishing game and the scarecrows, which were important for solving puzzles later.

In TP: the Zora's river game, the fishing game and...?

Anyway, let me say that the early stages of the game, let's say until the Arbiter's grounds (which was a fabulous dungeon) was more or less acceptably filled with side-quests, even if OoT had more, but mostly better cohesive side-quests, which filled intelligently the game and not in a cheap way as TP did. The reward system in TP was also particularly broken due to the damned rupies. Too many and too useless.

True. This is exactly what I meant.

I don't think it's fair to call quests that are necessary to get items to continue the story as "sidequests". Sidequests are called as such for a reason, they're quests on the side away from the main story.

edit:
Enduin said:
Well then you need to play more games, cause a lot of games before FFX had great VA and even more have great VA since then. Sure theres no need for Link to have VA since he doesnt speak to begin with and doesnt need to, but everyone else in the game could certainly benefit from VA. An irrational fear that Zelda Wii will have poor VA like its some B rated game is not a valid reason to exclude it from the game. Nintendo is very protective of its franchises and the last thing they would do is half ass the premier of VA on their #2 franchise.

Did you miss the part where I said that few other games have pulled off voice acting correctly? I'm not against voice acting as a whole, however I am against it in Zelda games because with voice acting you either need to get it right or risk making the whole dialogue look silly (and waste money doing so). I think you would agree that it's a much safer bet going without voice acting than otherwise.

Cygnus X-1

Mgoblue201 said:
Wait a minute, most of those things you had to do for the main quest (and betrays a double standard when you fault TP for the same thing). In Kakariko, you listed the hookshot, the well, and the song of storms. In TP, I could list sumo wrestling for the iron boots or the quest for the Zora armor or the horse call. You could list Igor's game, but I could also list the sled racing in TP. You can list upgrades, but in TP I can also list games you play for upgrades. We could keep going tit for tat. Everything OOT has, TP has something similar.

You're simply listing anything that's outside of a dungeon, but are you really going to claim that TP didn't have enough content? TP had just as much, if not more, than OOT. It's just that a lot of it was manifest in completing dynamic objectives. You're just gaming your own definition so that you can make OOT out to have more stuff, especially when in TP the content is spread out in a totally different way and is thus resistant to straight comparisons between towns and areas. For instance, a lot of the stuff in TP is actually contained in places that didn't exist in OOT or in Hyrule Field. In OOT, there is almost nothing in Hyrule Field besides the poes, a few skulltullas, and a heart piece or two. But if you take the games in their totalities, then TP stacks up favorably.

I compared similar places between the two games, but I don't see how TP had more side quests then OoT.

The well was important to the main quest, but it had also the characteristic that it was accessible as soon as you became adult and you were not forced to go in it exactly before the temple of shadow. But anyway, let's suppose it was part of the main-quest.
The hookshot was part of the main quest, but, if you read my list, it was the last of other 10 different side-quests which were absent in TP. So, just because I added it, you cannot say that my comparison fails.

If we exclude the well and the hookshot, we can safely exclude then the main quest in Kakariko of TP. Now, OoT has still other side-quests, whereas TP has nothing. That's the difference.

Of course I did not compare other places as the Gerudo's fortress and Gerudo's valley, but if you compare them, then in OoT we have the Gerudo's training and the archery. Not to mention that the entire infiltration in the fortress was something very well placed between the temple of shadow and the temple of spirit. Not to mention the entire desert that had to be passed.

What had TP? The hole in the ground. Period.

-------------------------------

Himuro said:
Once again, Majora's Mask wins.

End game.

There will never be a Zelda again as good as Majora's Mask, but I'd certainly like to play another Zelda in a similar vein.

I just wonder if Aonuma is aware of the great praise behind Majora's Mask. It is actually the proof that people like more a well written plot, with a lot of possibilities of human interactions between Link and all other people in the town.

One mask, one story; that was the key that made it so great. Link was literally the typical expression of one good boy who loved to help other people. I know, that's a pompous way to say it, but looking carefully, an unknown boy explored the city and talked to everyone. When problems, regrets, feeling between the various citizens emerged, Link proposed himself as a simple boy, but which really wanted to help other find solutions to their problems.

Not an hero. Just a good boy. That's also a marked difference between Majora's Mask and any other 3D Zeldas.

Everyone that loved it also have to admit that the fact that the plot and the characters were at the core of the game, made it a better Zelda. It could have been the start for a nice fantasy oriented evolution of the series. TP was a step back in this sense. Maybe Aonuma should really start to ignore what fans want.

JaseMath

Nuclear Muffin said:
Fighting - These fans will want more enemies, more involved fighting mechanics, and harder difficulties.

Exploring - These fansdont care so much about the enemies, but care about having as big and vast a world as possible with many hidden items, areas, and secrets

Puzzles - These fans focus mostly on the dungeons, and want puzzles and dungeon design that make you go insane at trying to figure these out

Narrative - These enjoy and expect a well crafted story with many NPCs with their own mini story Arcs or Fetch-Quests, and compelling story progression
Nice work pigeon-holing the fanbase - looks like you've got it all figured out. There's no reason why a Zelda game in this day and age can't do everything you've listed.

Anth0ny

Twilight Princess said:
i dont understand why every twilight princess thread can reach 6+ pages, didn't we just have the exact same discussion a week ago? :(

I'd be happy if there was a 6+ page thread about me ever week :lol

But seriously, it's because the fans love their Zelda. We also love to get hot blooded about TP vs. OOT.

Hamfam said:
My interpretation is this: Making realistic Zelda takes too much effort, let's use Cell shaded Zelda again! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
I'm unsure how you came to this cost analysis because I'm pretty sure you're wrong

Anth0ny said:
I'd be happy if there was a 6+ page thread about me ever week :lol

But seriously, it's because the fans love their Zelda. We also love to get hot blooded about TP vs. OOT.

Yeah, the OOT people *cough* definitely are sticking out :lol

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Dr. Muganda said:
OoT had the by far most shitty and barren overworld of all Zelda games to date with the exception of WW. It's pretty obvious that OoT was rushed through development in the final stages.

I think that was due more to tech limitations rather than being rushed. I mean, it took at least 3 years to make! :lol

SpacePirate Ridley said:
The refrences were in the dialogs? Im playing the spanish version so maybe they have changed the text a little bit. I know that when the train passes the teleporters there is a BttF3 reference with the train dissapearing and you can see the light of the wheels still going through the tracks, but I dont remember the Indy references at the dungeons (the rock balls and the snake item?)
Could you tell me the references you found in the game because im a sucker for those things.
Yeah, the Indy reference is in the Rock ball falling down on you if you pull the wrong sword and theres 2 Indy references in the snake whip ( He uses it just like Indy and Indy was scared of snakes).

Also
in one of the temples your moving on a floating plateform and if you flip the wrong switch arrows will shoot at you from all directions. And Im not sure what happens in the Spanish game but when you take either the Light Bow or the Sand Staff (not sure which it was) you hear a short rumble and Zelda says something like " Do you think we should have taken that?".

Nuclear Muffin said:
What makes Zelda so good is the balance it has between the various forms of gameplay people like. And the problem of asking people what they want from a Zelda game, is that they will ask for more of one thing, and less of the rest.

Types of Zelda Fans

Fighting - These fans will want more enemies, more involved fighting mechanics, and harder difficulties.

Exploring - These fansdont care so much about the enemies, but care about having as big and vast a world as possible with many hidden items, areas, and secrets

Puzzles - These fans focus mostly on the dungeons, and want puzzles and dungeon design that make you go insane at trying to figure these out

Narrative - These enjoy and expect a well crafted story with many NPCs with their own mini story Arcs or Fetch-Quests, and compelling story progression

I actually think thats a fair list.

I go around Zelda U sometimes and see people saying how "Ok, I just NOW got my first Game Over in ST" and Im left wondering WTFH does that matter? I didn't get one game over when I was in the
Sand temple
. . . wondering, confused, for around 1-2 hours before throwing in the tile and youtubeing my way to the key because I just couldn't get the puzzle.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
GSG Flash said:
Did you miss the part where I said that few other games have pulled off voice acting correctly? I'm not against voice acting as a whole, however I am against it in Zelda games because with voice acting you either need to get it right or risk making the whole dialogue look silly (and waste money doing so). I think you would agree that it's a much safer bet going without voice acting than otherwise.

I'm sorry but you telling me that most games have done VA wrong doesn't make it so, so your fears still seem irrational to me, quality VA isn't a rarity these days. Most games have it and most do it adequetly. Even then I have only played a handful of games where the VA inhibited my ability to enjoy the game. And I know that NoA has the ability and experience to produce quality VA from games like Baten Kaitos Origins, which was not an important or money making game at all, so when dealing with a premier franchise they would pull out all the stops. The so called risk is so minute to me that it's not much of a risk at all, the chance that Nintendo would screw up the VA is so small that to err on the side of caution would be folly and simply overkill.

I can respect your opinion that VA in games isn't all that great, but that's just not the case for me. Maybe we are playing different games or have highly different standards, I don't know but we are obviously divided on this issue.

jdogmoney

I think VA wouldn't work with Zelda. We've read this stuff for, what, two decades, now? We all have our own idea of how it "should" sound.

Also, there's a lot of dialogue in the games, most of it repeated. Is it worth it to hire a voice actor for every single "I am Error."?

It seems like a lot of trouble for not a lot of benefit.

Eric_S

civilstrife said:
The mountain metaphor actually makes me think that a Zelda game set entirely on a gigantic mountain range would be pretty fantastic.

Link is a boy growing up in a tiny community at the base of a mountain. A great evil has taken up residence at the very peak of the mountain. Link must climb the mountain and gain the aid of the various races that have built cities and settlements on the ridges and paths of the mountain.

It may not allow for very flexible dungeon progression, but it would solve the problem of guiding the player through the world by the hand: as long as you're travelling up, you're headed in the right overall direction. There would be detours, tasks and dungeons along the way, of course, not to mention an opportunity for some pretty stunning vistas.

/fanboy

I like this idea. Perhaps having a mountain in the middle of a vally sorunded my inaccesable moumtains would be more to my liking. The three firs dungeons are in a narrow strip in the vally leading (that you get hand held to by some NPC) up to the mountain and some sort of gatekeeper beast that you have to slay. Once you do that you gain an equivalent to the "bird warp" from ALttP and you can activate warp points here and there to kill off boring backtracking. Then there are main dungeons located higher and higher up on the mountain that you need to beat to unlock access to what lurks at the top / alt. go straight to the last one with some sidequest items to "seak past" the force field or what ever it is that keep you from progressing as a way to sequence break.

Mix that up with bosses that can be beat in more ways than one. Sidequests that net you items that makes your yourney easier (but are not neccesary to complete the game) and hidden dungeons in the vally below and alongside hidden paths on the mountain that net you magic (making combat easier, allso not neccesary to complete the game). Rupies could be used to buy maps perhaps, something to tweak your gear / magic with (again not neccesary, just helpfull)?

Something like that, that's balanced, got good puzzles, multiple diffculties and I'd be pleased. And a pony, I'd allso like a pony, and a mountain of cash and maybe a rain of candies.

GSG Flash

Enduin said:
I'm sorry but you telling me that most games have done VA wrong doesn't make it so, so your fears still seem irrational to me, quality VA isn't a rarity these days. Most games have it and most do it adequetly. Even then I have only played a handful of games where the VA inhibited my ability to enjoy the game. And I know that NoA has the ability and experience to produce quality VA from games like Baten Kaitos Origins, which was not an important or money making game at all, so when dealing with a premier franchise they would pull out all the stops. The so called risk is so minute to me that it's not much of a risk at all, the chance that Nintendo would screw up the VA is so small that to err on the side of caution would be folly and simply overkill.

I can respect your opinion that VA in games isn't all that great, but that's just not the case for me. Maybe we are playing different games or have highly different standards, I don't know but we are obviously divided on this issue.

When it comes to something like voice acting, opinions are very much subjective. What ever voice acting you may have liked I may have found it to be crap and vice versa. I just don't think voice acting will do any justice to the Zelda franchise(because it simply won't add much to the game because that's not what Zelda games are about) and there's a greater chance that it may come out as botched rather than perfect. No irrational fears there.

That's simply my opinion and you're going to have to deal with it.

Oblivion

The Wii Zelda is gonna be like Skies of Arcadia. Aonuma pretty much implied as much.

Little Green Yoda said:
So they ran out of cartridge space before they could cram in the Light dungeon?

..what?

GSG Flash said:
I, honestly, would never want to play a Zelda game created by you.
Thanks, the same to you.

I'd rather play a zelda that doesnt try to epic with a story but rather through exploration and adventure.
I'd rather have a tightly knitted zelda with a great overworld, mazes, hidden caves (and not the beam me up scotty kind from OoT < ) and random forrests full of secrets than some huge barren overworld with a horse and timetravel.

jesus christ this thread got even worse. Stop making up shit that you want from Zelda that's never existed in the series in the first place. Go play a fucking Elder Scrolls or something.

neoism

Teddman said:
Please, just do something new with the damn franchise.

SOMETHING NEW
This!

I was disappointed by TP, I bought Wii just for it, I loooooved this franchise, but after Hourglass.... I'm done. I may buy Spirit Tracks for cheap of something, but I want something far less archaic, I want a RE4 for Zelda. I'm not saying it needs it, but I guess I'm just tried of playing the same game over and over!

Dr.Hadji

neoism said:
This!

I was disappointed by TP, I bought Wii just for it, I loooooved this franchise, but after Hourglass.... I'm done. I may buy Spirit Tracks for cheap of something, but I want something far less archaic, I want a RE4 for Zelda. I'm not saying it needs it, but I guess I'm just tried of playing the same game over and over!

IDK, after the critical reception of games like Okami and Beyond Good and Evil and now seeing how high on the "Games of the Decade" list various publications place them I'd say people don't have much of a problem with the Zelda structure. Apparently a Zelda game made by Capcom or a Zelda game made by Ubisoft is enough of a change for most people. A lot of the same structure, progression and interactions but set it in old Japan and add some Capcom flare and its "ohh so refreshing and new". Which is fine and all because ALL GAMES in a series/genre follow pretty much a similar structure to other games in the same series/structure. So I'm not down of those games (really like Okami) its just strange to me that Zelda gets singled out most of the time.

Varjet said:
Seeing as it was planned as a 64DD title... maybe?

Never realized that it was supposed to be a 64DD title. There must have been many up-ended tea tables while it got delayed and changed. :lol

Oblivion said:

The Light medallion is given to you before Ganondorf's castle. All the other medallions were received after beating each respective dungeon so something doesn't quite fit. Then there's the whole frozen Zora's domain stuff that also hints at OoT being an unfinished product.

Little Green Yoda said:
Never realized that it was supposed to be a 64DD title. There must have been many up-ended tea tables while it got delayed and changed. :lol

The Light medallion is given to you before Ganondorf's castle. All the other medallions were received after beating each respective dungeon so something doesn't quite fit. Then there's the whole frozen Zora's domain stuff that also hints at OoT being an unfinished product.

I think you're making a huge fucking leap of logic there, buddy.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Cygnus X-1 said:
I compared similar places between the two games, but I don't see how TP had more side quests then OoT.

The well was important to the main quest, but it had also the characteristic that it was accessible as soon as you became adult and you were not forced to go in it exactly before the temple of shadow. But anyway, let's suppose it was part of the main-quest.
The hookshot was part of the main quest, but, if you read my list, it was the last of other 10 different side-quests which were absent in TP. So, just because I added it, you cannot say that my comparison fails.

If we exclude the well and the hookshot, we can safely exclude then the main quest in Kakariko of TP. Now, OoT has still other side-quests, whereas TP has nothing. That's the difference.

Of course I did not compare other places as the Gerudo's fortress and Gerudo's valley, but if you compare them, then in OoT we have the Gerudo's training and the archery. Not to mention that the entire infiltration in the fortress was something very well placed between the temple of shadow and the temple of spirit. Not to mention the entire desert that had to be passed.

What had TP? The hole in the ground. Period.
What does it matter when you can do it? That is structure, not content. If, for instance, in TP the iron boot thing can be completed at any time, then does that elevate the content of the game beyond what it already has? Of course not. Nothing has changed. It's still the same game. And you keep doing it when you name the stealth section and the desert, which can't even tangentially be called sidequests. They are unequivocally part of the main quest.

All the Gerudo area really has in OOT are the dungeon and the archery sections. You can directly compare the dungeon to the cave of ordeals, but once again, it's nonsense to directly compare sections of the game since both are structured differently. TP may have not horse archery, but it does have the balloon popping mini-game...or the canoe game...or sledding. You also have the clawshot game and the goat herding (which, yes, is a part of the main quest, but also can be undertaken optionally for a piece of heart). For everything in OOT, there is probably something comparable in TP. Holding TP against the strict equivalent of OOT is like faulting OOT because it does not have any of the mini-games that I just mentioned. How would that make sense? Then, how does it make sense to do what you're doing?

BrandNew said:
I think you're making a huge fucking leap of logic there, buddy.
I don't know about a light dungeon, but there were rumors that you could enter the Sacred Realm because there was a picture showing Link collecting the Triforce from a chest. There was also a lot of stuff left out. Castle town was an actual town with buildings and not just a small area with a background.

GCX

Oblivion said:
The Wii Zelda is gonna be like Skies of Arcadia. Aonuma pretty much implied as much.
So, Aonuma says something like "Umm I quess there might be flying" and suddenly it's a spiritual successor to SoA. :lol

Black-Wind said:
Yeah, the Indy reference is in the Rock ball falling down on you if you pull the wrong sword and theres 2 Indy references in the snake whip ( He uses it just like Indy and Indy was scared of snakes).

Also
in one of the temples your moving on a floating plateform and if you flip the wrong switch arrows will shoot at you from all directions. And Im not sure what happens in the Spanish game but when you take either the Light Bow or the Sand Staff (not sure which it was) you hear a short rumble and Zelda says something like " Do you think we should have taken that?".

Thanks!
Im in the sand dungeon now so I will see what Zelda says in spansih in that part.
I dont know in the american version, but there were some wall cells in Bowsers inside story that when you complete a thing and they are going to let you pass they say, its going to be Legen- wait for it... DARY!

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
They need to burn the series to the ground and start over. I want to see them take the skeletal elements of the original Zelda, then build on that foundation with contemporary or (gasp!) forward-thinking ideas and design. There are plenty of examples of Zelda games now, so the world doesn't need another built with the same assumptions - structure, puzzle logic, etc. - that have already been done to death.

[Nintex]

I think Aonuma has said in many interviews recently that the new Zelda will surprise us. That they already changed the structure of the game and even have a new targetting system in place. I expect the next Zelda to be quite a leap in the right direction, considering it'll take them at least 4 years to build.

I've started Twilight Princess again today and still the only big complaint I have are the muddy textures. The game has nice looking characters, great lighting and particle effects and many more visual stuff going on. They must've thought that the added lighting and such would've made up for the textures. When you look past the mud the art in this game is still incredible. I think it has to do with the fact that it is a GameCube game. I remember the cube had a hard time rendering a few places and there were framedrops in that version too.

Needless to say the game is still incredible. I think the biggest problem that most gamers seem to have with this title is that it is the fourth console Zelda with the same structure. 3D Mario got changed at the third installment.

I'm not sure if this was the right place to post this in:

Anouma said:
"To tell you the truth, I actually wanted to create Link’s Crossbow Training 2," Anouma said in an interview with games™ magazine. "I thought that we should do something more and better in the field of the first person shooter, based on our experience of the first game."

"For example, I was thinking that maybe we could intensify the multiplayer mode. The original game was really just a solo game but I thought that we could add a true multiplayer mode with multiple users playing together, from remote areas, over the Wi-Fi Connection."

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/2119/aonuma-wanted-to-make-crossbow-training-2

Was the first one good? I never played it.

[Nintex]

Shadowlink said:

It was pretty good but also the biggest waste of development resources ever if you ask me. The game sold pretty good but overall I can't believe that a part of the main Zelda team developed it after they finished Zelda TP. It's like if EAD Tokyo didn't move on to do Super Mario Galaxy 2 but worked on a Luma feeding minigame for the MotionPlus instead.

Shadowlink said:

The first one was inexpensive, and I love it a lot.

Getting combos and stuff and getting over 100,000 or 200,000 points in a level was extremely satisfying to me.

Because it uses the same environments from Twilight Princess, the game's also pretty diverse. One moment, you're third person shooting with Link in a forest or in a desert town, then you're first person shooting off Epona's back in Hyrule, then you're on a canoe shooting things, then fighting a boss somewhere.

Also, one of the bosses I really like a lot.

I wouldn't spend more than 20 or 30 dollars on it (it reuses pretty much everything from TP and has
levels, which is a good amount, but it still feels kinda short), but I think it was its MSRP when it first came out, so yeah.

I would love to see a sequel, with more bosses. Or maybe a crossbow mode in Zelda Wii.

[Nintex] said:
It was pretty good but also the biggest waste of development resources ever if you ask me. The game sold pretty good but overall I can't believe that a part of the main Zelda team developed it after they finished Zelda TP. It's like if EAD Tokyo didn't move on to do Super Mario Galaxy 2 but worked on a Luma feeding minigame for the MotionPlus instead.
The experience will definitely be helpful if, say, they decide they want to make the crossbow one of Link's weapons in the next main Zelda game. So I don't see how a Luma feeding game is analogous to this.

With shooters as popular as they are this gen, Nintendo would only gain by having its staff gain what little experience they could making those things.

"I thought that we should do something more and better in the field of the first person shooter, based on our experience of the first game."

sounds like those rumors of zelda going fps weren't all that far fetched.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I personally would like a less linear Zelda with more focus on exploration, the great thing about Wind Waker was that you did feel like you were discovering new lands and that the whole world was at your disposal .. suire a lot of people didnt like sailing, but I still think Nintendo had the right idea.

comedy bomb said:
sounds like those rumors of zelda going fps weren't all that far fetched.
If there's a spin-off Zelda (mini-)series with first or third person shooting with Link with a crossbow, I'd love it. I'd love to see what they can do with that idea. I really liked the third person sequences in Crossbow Training.

GSG Flash

Well we can take solace in one thing, whatever the next Zelda game turns out to be, whether it be a 3rd person adventure game, a first person rpg/shooter or even a racing game, we know it will atleast not be pathetic enough to turn into an interactive cg movie like the FF series has become, especially with FF13 :lol

Jezan

Pseudo_Sam said:
Best dungeons of the series, best new item (double clawshot), excellent gimmick (wolf link), well-directed cutscenes, great swordplay, great new character (Midna). Twilight Princess rules.

Make it more interesting visually, less empty, give the other items some relevance outside of their respective dungeons, up the difficulty, fix the goddamned rupee system, and you'd have had the best game evar, yup. Still, definitely the best 3D Zelda.

EDIT: You know what game would be good for Zelda to emulate, from an environmental perspective? Morrowind. Brighten it up a bit, flatten it down a bit, and bam, awesome Hyrule.

No, no, no. If something...worst item. That could be the reward for some kind of minigame, or one of those mini-dungeons. But being the treasure of the sky-dungeon, disappointment. The only thing that saved that dungeon from being the worst dungeon in TP was the boss.

IMO

Jax said:
SOTC is... eh. The world is dead and boring and the horse controls poorly. It also has NO citizenry. Very different games. What zelda ought to be is quite different.

also MP3 in say an engine UE3 would have been insanely gorgeous. Admit it.

its not about HD gaming. Its about better VFX/shaders..etc. Also about the no. of polys the console can throw out. Well, I think most games should look HD console good in 2010.

/shrug.

Everything covered in phazon? :lol

No thanks :p

neoism

Dr.Hadji said:
IDK, after the critical reception of games like Okami and Beyond Good and Evil and now seeing how high on the "Games of the Decade" list various publications place them I'd say people don't have much of a problem with the Zelda structure. Apparently a Zelda game made by Capcom or a Zelda game made by Ubisoft is enough of a change for most people. A lot of the same structure, progression and interactions but set it in old Japan and add some Capcom flare and its "ohh so refreshing and new". Which is fine and all because ALL GAMES in a series/genre follow pretty much a similar structure to other games in the same series/structure. So I'm not down of those games (really like Okami) its just strange to me that Zelda gets singled out most of the time.
Well I played Okami first, and it was my second GOTY, behind FF12, and it did the wolf thing waaay better than TP. Structure wise, I seen no similarities to a Zelda game. I've played most if not all, and after LTTP( which is my favorite in the series), their more or less the same game. Maybe it was the "new" type of battle system in Okami or the gorgeous graphics, that blinded it a little. I understand, asking for a completely different game, will in a sense make it not a Zelda game, but seriously I enjoyed it for the most part, I did everything, and beat it, but after Hourglass which is the first Zelda game I hated, I'm just not excited about it anymore. Hell, I'm one of those people that was disappointed with Galaxy.... I got to the the last world and qiut. Not sure what it is, maybe Nintendos way of making game are just not doing it for me anymore!

Reading this thread and the tone it has taken on Christmas makes me sad. Twilight Princess is something all gaming enthusiasts should celebrate not criticise. What Aonuma achieved with this masterpiece is phenomenal and he deserves credit. I have yet to play a game with so much attention to detail. Detail so thorough and yet so subtle. From the physics to the colour palette, to the musical score, and the character archetypes everything is done with subtlety and with nods and references to past iterations and common myth.

the thoroughbred said:
Reading this thread and the tone it has taken on Christmas makes me sad. Twilight Princess is something all gaming enthusiasts should celebrate not criticise. What Aonuma achieved with this masterpiece is phenomenal and he deserves credit. I have yet to play a game with so much attention to detail. Detail so thorough and yet so subtle. From the physics to the colour palette, to the musical score, and the character archetypes everything is done with subtlety and with nods and references to past iterations and common myth.

Technically, I really don't like criticizing Twilight Princess, because it is a game I love so much (probably top 20 or 25 games of all time for me), but it still disappointed me for specific reasons, and I don't want to go around calling it a disappointment without saying why.

However, it was certainly one of the greater games I've ever played, and, after all this Twilight Princess talk, am having strong urges to play it again.

Oblivion

[Nintex] said:
It was pretty good but also the biggest waste of development resources ever if you ask me. The game sold pretty good but overall I can't believe that a part of the main Zelda team developed it after they finished Zelda TP. It's like if EAD Tokyo didn't move on to do Super Mario Galaxy 2 but worked on Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat 2 instead.

Fixed.

Top Bottom