• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

El Chapo Guzman delcares war on ISIS

Status
Not open for further replies.
FAKE

The above-quoted story was published by Thug Life Videos on 30 November 2015, but it wasn't until the story was picked up by CartelBlog.com, a web site that reports on cartel news, that it went viral. Shortly after CartelBlog posted the story on its web site, several major news outlets published headlines such as "El Chapo tells ISIS his men will destroy them" and "Cartel leader Chapo Guzmán threatens war on ISIS after terrorists destroy drug shipment."

But this is not true. Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman has not waged war against ISIS. The rumor started on a satire web site that frequently publishes fake stories. It was mistakenly picked up as a genuine news item by a web site that specializes in stories about the cartel, and was then regurgitated by several popular publications.

This isn't the first time that Thug Life Videos has fooled the media with a story about El Chapo. In October 2015, the web site helped promulgate the false story that El Chapo had put a bounty on Donald Trump's head.

I know someone at work who grew up in Mexico and when this guy escaped she was talking about the cartel in a revered tone. Talking about how shrewd of businessmen they were and they were smart and hownitd just part of life in Mexico.

I guess I wouldn't know but its so different than how people usually talk about them. Is it like this for many mexican citizens?

cdyhybrid

Cartels are already buddy-buddy with the US government, not much of a surprise.

Oh, it's fake. Still wouldn't be a surprise.

LOLDSFAN

I know someone at work who grew up in Mexico and when this guy escaped she was talking about the cartel in a revered tone. Talking about how shrewd of businessmen they were and they were smart and hownitd just part of life in Mexico.

I guess I wouldn't know but its so different than how people usually talk about them. Is it like this for many mexican citizens?

Well you have to be if you want to successfully run any type of organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom