• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ElAnalistaDeBits: The Last Of Us 2 Vs Red Dead Redemption 2 Graphics Comparison Video

Max_Po

Banned
Possibly the worst post on this entire forum - pre or post purge.

Anyway, RDR2 is still the most graphically impressive game I've ever seen, and it's not even close. In addition to its sheer scale and quality, something that's worth remembering is that it's entirely real time - it's time of day can progress, it's conditions can change.
On the contrast, to accomplish its visuals, TLOU2 has limited and hedged in environments lit with static pre-baked GI lighting and fixed time of day where transitions are baked and controlled. There's just a lot less going on. Environments feature significantly better lighting than the NPCs as a result, props in particular feature good, but lacking, approximations of the more advanced lighting techniques featured on the hero characters. This causes discrepancies in quality, despite the game's more limited scope and scale. And the end result is just slathered in film grain and aggressive post processing that leaves the image soft and noisy, emulating low-quality chemically treated film, as opposed to being a proper digital image from a video game.
In RDR2, everything is there, all open, all the time, with a very clean image that is just more appealing.
Is TLOU2 still a gorgeous game and a real technical showcase for the PS4? Absolutely. Does it surpass RDR2? Nope. Rockstar are just on another level, literally the best in the gane. Naughty Dog still have a ways to go before they're in the same ballpark.

yea, keep crying and then cry some more... how many times did you try to pick up the items in RDR2 ?

Max_Po

Banned
I own both games and both machines (PRO and X) and still think RDR2 is the best looking game this gen (followed closely by TLOU2).

me too, I just like the animations and game-play more response in TLofUs2. RDR2 is easily more ambitious and takes the edge because of open world.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Even though the quality of every area in TLOU 2 is insane, riding across the landscapes in Red Dead 2 is beyond anything I have seen in a game this generation.

Uncharted 4 also is absolutely insane at times and still holds up. That house at the end is the most insane indoor environment I have ever seen, even beyond anything in TLOU 2.

hphdkp9he3b31.png

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Both look incredible. RDR2 was really an insane achievement in visuals considering it was multiplat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly this is way closer than I expected it to be. There’s no denying the smoothness of LOU2’s combat/character animation is a level above everything else though. Better than cyberpunk as well - although cyberpunk as a whole looks better. Really depends on which things you value

Kenpachii

Even though the quality of every area in TLOU 2 is insane, riding across the landscapes in Red Dead 2 is beyond anything I have seen in a game this generation.

Uncharted 4 also is absolutely insane at times and still holds up. That house at the end is the most insane indoor environment I have ever seen, even beyond anything in TLOU 2.

hphdkp9he3b31.png

With stuff like this i honestly feel like raytracing is useless. Just look at the lights. looks dam nice.

Moriah20

It's a very close call. I think both games prove that ND and rockstar are undeniable the kings when it comes to production values. Say what you will about RDR 2's controls or TLOU 2's story, the technical achievement of these 2 games is undeniable. They almost feel like "AAAA" games.

As for comparison between the two - I think RDR 2 is still my personal favorite. The vistas you stumble across, and how the world changes depending on the time of day or weather is still making me stop and look around and snap a few screenshots even on my 3rd playthrough after like 200 hours of play time. The fact that RDR 2 can even put up a fight when it has so many dynamic elements and an open world is mighty imrpessive - though it's obvious that in smaller scale stuff (indoors, asset detail, npc detail) TLOU 2 is the winner.

as for animation i can't help but to think that RDR 2 is actually superior, with one major caveat. You see, in RDR 2, Arthur physically connects with everything - wether its something you pick up, put down, push, whatever. In TLOU 2, this isn't the case. Just run around and spam triangle to loot stuff - you can see Ellie reach out, however there very often is no actual "grabbing", the loot just teleports into her hands. This is obviously done for gameplay reasons, whereas RDR 2 decided not to compromise (except in the online mode where they simplified and sped up a lot of animations) and stuck with a more realistic approach. Also, I find the dodging in TLOU 2 look a bit below par compared to the other animations.

One thing that really amazed me about TLOU 2 however was the facial capture. RDR 2 has some excellent facial capture too for the main characters but TLOU 2 really takes a major win here. It's incredibly impressive.

But yeah I just can't get over how rockstar made an open world game that can actually compete with a linear naughty dog production. We have come a long way since GTA 4 vs Uncharted 2 or even GTA 5 vs TLOU on the PS3.

Last edited:

Darius87

hphdkp9he3b31.png
actually the quality of detail in some indoor enviroment in TLOU2 is on par with these screenshots but enviroment in TLOU2 is more dark and lightning is different making it look worse but details are near the same.

AzureFlame

The Last of Us 2 with HDR on is crazy looking but i still think Red Dead Redemption 2 is more impressive overall.

ZywyPL

Banned
TLoU2 looks washed out, the textures are so low-res they just kill the entire presentation. Also the lightning isn't as good as RDR2, the self-shadowing is seriously lacking, especially in full sunlight.

mejin

Rockstar has 3 big advantages: more people, money and time.

It would makes more sense to compare Rockstar and CDPR games imo.

thelastword

Banned
LOU 2 easily, better ATD, better character models, extremely better textures.....Some of the textures and character models in RDR2 looks just plain awful. RDR2's environments are very impressive, like it's foliage and snow, but LOU 2's is still more impressive, I mean Seattle is straight bonkers the first time you see it. The snow in LOU 2 is more impressive, the houses and their detail in LOU 2 as you traverse is more impressive since you can enter most of them. The lighting in the forest is more impressive, the light shafts etc...And on top of all that, to have a character running so effortlessly, with fluid animation, hurling over many objects with such smoothness in that environment gives you more angles and scenarios to render in realtime in TLOU2 than RDR2.

Now lets talk about water, that water in LOU2 is next level, perhaps one of the things that impressed me everytime I saw it, the ground textures under the water and how impressive different water streams were depending on whether it's a pool, puddle, rapids or ocean, I must have taken a million photos of water......People talk about vista's and though I think Horizon is still untouched as an open world game relative to ATD and consistency even over RDR2. I think LOU 2 had some vistas that were really impressive, they are pretty much all spoilers if you care for locations, but I took screens of all. The way LOU2 handles not only horizontal depth, but vertical depth, height and breath is the most impressive I've seen in a game bar none.....

I'd say best looking games are.

LOU2
Uncharted 4/LL
DriveClub
The Order 1886
Horizon Zero Dawn
Death Stranding
Detroit

All of these games come before RDR2. They all have superior animations and ATD. RDR2 has great environments, but lots of bad textures and weak character models. I always told folk, where SWWS excels, is that the quality they offer is consistently high across the board. Graphics, ATD, lighting, Character models, Animation, Controller response, Physics......All of these areas are at a high level so their games always look and play smoother or better.....Say what you want about 1886, but that game was a blast to control, perhaps the least input lag for a TPS, just like LOU and UC. RDR 2 on the other hand reminds me of unpatched Witcher 3 relative to controls and camera......They are just not as good in these aspects.

I was really disappointed when all the journalists including DF saw this game behind the scenes and hyped it through the roof as being next level and all the talk of "wait till you see it , this literally makes all other games look dated". Then I saw the reveal, weak looking characters, lots of polygonal edges on objects everywhere, shimmering on high specular surfaces. And anyone can go back to the gameplay reveal thread, I immediately called out this game's subpar almost robotic animation. It's a colorful game, but it's not the most detailed game, not even close. Also, what's with the stretched looking image in many of the previews I've seen, it looks horizontally stretched especially whilst driving, and I'm never a fan of a game that looks too dark in the night, it's a futuristic city, with lots of neon and light, yet it's as dark as an abyss, like in other games, this is done to obfuscate the rendering technology or lack of detail in many areas that they choose to cut.

I still don't understand how this gets into any graphical king conversation, If you look at the latest previews, when driving through the city, many of the buildings don't look like you can interact or go into them as they promised. I'm seeing lots of basic mapping of buildings in that game as we saw in many games before it. You can see the same low rez background details, where they render the side of the building you see and try to mimic a fake light source through the windows to mimic activity or life inside. There is nothing impressive about this game visually except the aesthetic. To me Cyberpunk just looks like a more impressive Crackdown 3, lots of color, same big city, but at least with Crackdown 3 you had more freedom since you could jump anywhere.

I can only imagine they will cut down more things or lessen the graphical complexity a bit more before launch. CDPR always delays their game to downgrade them, just like in Witcher 3. So with talks about a 2080ti running this with DLSS 1080p and still not having all RT bells and whistles on, I'm certainly not as stoked based on the hype. The reveal did not stand up to the hype and the previews show some signs that things will be scaled back for consoles, especially if we look at PC performance, so we can only wait till release to see what happens. People keep forgetting that Witcher 3 took years to patch and it's still not a locked 30fps on consoles. At least RDR2 runs pretty solid on all consoles minus the input lag.

ZywyPL

Banned
That tag says it all but.....

Got it for mentioning the infamous "9TF" which gets many #team13TF folks here butthurt as fuck if you really want to know. But that doesn't change the fact that ND games this gen lack texture details, be it TLoU2, UC4 or LL. You look at launch titles like TO1886, inFamous:SS, KZ:SF or DC, and they look so damn clear and sharp they put ND's games into shame. Not to mention for someone who is used to play on PC washed-out textures are what stands out immediately. Maybe there will be a PS5 patch that will change things up thanks to 16GB RAM, but until that happens, it is what it is, other than the foliage (that has been done to death this gen), I don't see anything "mind-blowing" in TLoU2. And those 15FPS snow animations are some kind of a bad joke,

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
It's a very close call. I think both games prove that ND and rockstar are undeniable the kings when it comes to production values. Say what you will about RDR 2's controls or TLOU 2's story, the technical achievement of these 2 games is undeniable. They almost feel like "AAAA" games.

As for comparison between the two - I think RDR 2 is still my personal favorite. The vistas you stumble across, and how the world changes depending on the time of day or weather is still making me stop and look around and snap a few screenshots even on my 3rd playthrough after like 200 hours of play time. The fact that RDR 2 can even put up a fight when it has so many dynamic elements and an open world is mighty imrpessive - though it's obvious that in smaller scale stuff (indoors, asset detail, npc detail) TLOU 2 is the winner.

as for animation i can't help but to think that RDR 2 is actually superior, with one major caveat. You see, in RDR 2, Arthur physically connects with everything - wether its something you pick up, put down, push, whatever. In TLOU 2, this isn't the case. Just run around and spam triangle to loot stuff - you can see Ellie reach out, however there very often is no actual "grabbing", the loot just teleports into her hands. This is obviously done for gameplay reasons, whereas RDR 2 decided not to compromise (except in the online mode where they simplified and sped up a lot of animations) and stuck with a more realistic approach. Also, I find the dodging in TLOU 2 look a bit below par compared to the other animations.

One thing that really amazed me about TLOU 2 however was the facial capture. RDR 2 has some excellent facial capture too for the main characters but TLOU 2 really takes a major win here. It's incredibly impressive.

But yeah I just can't get over how rockstar made an open world game that can actually compete with a linear naughty dog production. We have come a long way since GTA 4 vs Uncharted 2 or even GTA 5 vs TLOU on the PS3.
Animations are great in both games, tlou2 with euphoria engine would be close to perfection.

Last of Us 2 for sure but that doesnt mean RDR 2 looks bad by any stretch. My biggest gripe with RDR 2 is a lot of the time it just has a hazy soft look that I cant seem to adjust out on the PS4 Pro.

Comparing an open-world game to a linear game is just testament to how incredible RDR2 looks, especially at 4K (which TLOU2 can't manage to do).

RDR2 is the clear winner here despite the worse character models.

I actually thought Gears 5 was better looking than TLOU2 overall, especially considering it's 4K (variable)/60fps, which I'm sure is a supremely unpopular opinion on NeoGAF :messenger_alien_monster:

Mister Wolf

Comparing an open-world game to a linear game is just testament to how incredible RDR2 looks, especially at 4K (which TLOU2 can't manage to do).

RDR2 is the clear winner here despite the worse character models.

I actually thought Gears 5 was better looking than TLOU2 overall, especially considering it's 4K (variable)/60fps, which I'm sure is a supremely unpopular opinion on NeoGAF :messenger_alien_monster:

I don't even consider a game visually impressive unless its 60fps. Gears 5 is still the top console game for me.

Last edited:

Larogue

This made me appreciate RDR2 even more.

Accomplishing all that in open world and in 4K, when a closed environment game (almost like a car game in garage/photo mode instead of open track) optimized only for one console STILL can't reproduce the same level.

Last edited:
Yep. Rdr 2 looks more impressive still. The lightning, composition, animations just oozes quality. Take any screenshot, including inside buildings and the game looks stunning. Not the case with tlou 2

Even little details like splashes from shots, fire spreading on grass etc are better

After watching the video, its not even close how much more detailed Rdr 2 compared to Tlou 2. The only department where Tlou is better is textures, everything else Rdr 2 is a clear winner

Its amazing what they achieved with a giant open world, absolutely insane

I definitely wouldn't say that. Red Dead 2 has more photo realistic day time through evening landscape lighting but the HDR in the game doesn't work properly so night time and dark areas look horrible with it turned on. So The Last of Us with out a doubt beats it in terms of black level and darkly lit areas. The Last of Us also has more stylized lighting in most places.

Red Dead 2 has more natural horse movement animations but the horses in The Last of Us have much more detailed muscle and facial animations.

The Last of Us doesn't have spreading fire but it does have jumping fire that acts like gasoline and sticks to peoples limbs and doesn't actually kill them. Red Dead has fire spreading that is just ok, but nothing will ever beat Far Cry 2.

But the thing that Red Dead 2 can't handle, obviously because it would like crash the game, is the rain and water technology. Naughty Dog has outdone themselves yet again with the water tech in this new game. Water behaves almost exactly like real life and they even got the speed as which water flows and falls correct in around 95% of areas. Climbing a ladder in the pouring rain that's dripping off of every rung is just incredible.

The Last of Us also wins hands down in animation quality, again (this is most likely the reason) because it's a much more focused and linear title.

So the two are comparable games but totally different.

mrMUR_96

I think tlou2 slightly edges it out, but the fact that rdr2 looks that amazing while being open world, with dynamic time of day/weather and being multiplatform is just incredible.

Top Bottom