• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring or Bloodborne?

Elden Ring or Bloodborne?

• Elden Ring

Votes: 236 48.2%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 254 51.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
All those riflemen hidden among the trees 😬 And then the fucked up dogs roaming around
Yup, getting shot out of nowhere was crazy. Those snakes were crazy too. It fit the setting perfectly. Then you had that one guy behind the canon that could one shot you early on. The boss wasn’t bad at all and then you were on your way to see the nightmare fuel boss encounter. It was perfect.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Yup, getting shot out of nowhere was crazy. Those snakes were crazy too. It fit the setting perfectly. Then you had that one guy behind the canon that could one shot you early on. The boss wasn’t bad at all and then you were on your way to see the nightmare fuel boss encounter. It was perfect.

The guys with the bunch of snakes that explode out of their heads is easily my fav enemy. So fucking cool

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Elden Ring is only better if you actually haven't played Bloodborne.
I played both and I platinum both and I honestly liked both, there things I like in Bloodborne better and there are things I like Elden Ring better.....Its hard for me to chose which I like more.

But I'm 120% sure I like Sekiro better than both.

Last edited:

Xylac

Neo Member
As long as Bloodborne isnt on pc it is Elden Ring simply because of mods. Randomizers and mods like Convergence push the replayability to the maximum.

DelireMan7

Bloodborne no contest for me.

I am replaying it at the moment and it's just way better than Elden Ring in almost every way. But I consider Elden Ring being quite low, if I'd rank the Soulsborne game (but still an amazing game).

Only big complaints about Bloodborne is the farm of Blood vial and Bullets. Shitty design choice in my opinion. It really breaks the flow when you're on a boss and suddenly runs out of vials.

Chalice dungeons are not my thing but I like how they are tie to the lore of the games. And the mains one have unique bosses and kind of a story.
Honestly I consider them superior to the "copy/paste" catacombs of Elden Ring.

Just did Lady Maria yesterday. This boss is so good. Intense, fair, stunning and epic music...
And because I choose violence today : Lady Maria is a way better boss than Malenia. I see the "Malenia is harder" coming and I agree. Does a boss being harder makes it better ? Hell no ! Lady Maria is so enjoyable to fight. Malenia is just frustrating with her Waterfall move.

Last edited:

Melchiah

The pigs and shadows of Yharnam section (after Micolash, before Mergo's Wetnurse) is where it's at. Set your Moon runes and have at it.

True. It grants 290k Blood Echoes on NG+ with three Moon runes equipped, and about a third of that on the first playthrough. The run takes only about three minutes. You can kill the first Maneater Boar from behind, and lure the remaining two to fight against Shadows.

Danjin44

is a way better boss than Malenia. I see the "Malenia is harder" coming and I agree. Does a boss being harder makes it better ? Hell no ! Lady Maria is so enjoyable to fight. Malenia is just frustrating with her Waterfall move.
I disagree, because of Bloodborne OP parry which is much easier and much safer to pull off, you can literally parry Maria to death. I liked Maria’s fight but in my honest opinion I had way more fun with Malenia fight…..but that’s just me.

DelireMan7

I disagree, because of Bloodborne OP parry which is much easier and much safer to pull off, you can literally parry Maria to death. I liked Maria’s fight but in my honest opinion I had way more fun with Malenia fight…..but that’s just me.
Again, an harder boss isn't synonym of better for me.
And you can parry Malenia too.

These 2 bosses shared so similarity but the philosophy of their fight is different. And I prefer Lady Maria's one by far.

SkylineRKR

Bloodborne would absolutely win if it was enhanced for current-gen. I platinumed that game, took days to survive defiled dungeons and finally did it. There is nothing like it in Elden Ring.

Elden Ring is one of my all time faves but I don't like it much in replays. In fact I never beat it twice.

Danjin44

Again, an harder boss isn't synonym of better for me.
And you can parry Malenia too.

These 2 bosses shared so similarity but the philosophy of their fight is different. And I prefer Lady Maria's one by far.
You can but you need to successfully parry her 3 times in order to get critical hit and in Elden Ring is much riskier to parry compare to Bloodborne.

I don’t care which one is more difficult, I just personally enjoyed Malenia‘s fight much more.

DelireMan7

You can but you need to successfully parry her 3 times in order to get critical hit and in Elden Ring is much riskier to parry compare to Bloodborne.

I don’t care which one is more difficult, I just personally enjoyed Malenia‘s fight much more.
I think, yes it all comes down to personal preferences.

I think I really enjoy the duel on "equal level" Lady Maria offers. 2 hunters fighting each other with same rules (ok she has some crazy blood/fire move xD but none feels unfair).

I have the feeling Malenia was designed to destroy the player again and again.

Danjin44

I think, yes it all comes down to personal preferences.

I think I really enjoy the duel on "equal level" Lady Maria offers. 2 hunters fighting each other with same rules (ok she has some crazy blood/fire move xD but none feels unfair).

I have the feeling Malenia was designed to destroy the player again and again.
I like super bosses in games, I enjoyed Malenia fight same reason I enjoyed Weiss the Immaculate in FFVIIR and Sword Saint in Sekiro.

They are epic and absolute thrill to fight them.

Edit: Also "equal level" only works in PVP not in PVE when AI is not all that smart…that kind makes you are not really in "equal level".

Bosses are not suppose to be equal ground, they should much stronger have more dangerous attacks which in my opinion makes the fight more fun.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

I like super bosses in games, I enjoyed Malenia fight same reason I enjoyed Weiss the Immaculate in FFVIIR and Sword Saint in Sekiro.

They are epic and absolute thrill to fight them.

Edit: Also "equal level" only works in PVP not in PVE when AI is not all that smart…that kind makes you are not really in "equal level".

Bosses are not suppose to be equal ground, they should much stronger have more dangerous attacks which in my opinion makes the fight more fun.
That's why I used quotation mark on "equal level". The fight is design to feel like a battle between 2 hunters. Even if one is a boss. (And the battle is much more interesting that PvP xD)

I like impressive big boss. In Elden Ring, I loved Godfrey and Placidusax (my favorite boss of the game, EPICNESS x10000) are good examples.
Sword Saint is also another example of good very challenging fight. It's always fair and reward the player for learning timing, pattern... while pushing you to your limits.
(Haven't played FFVIIR yet)

I use a lot the word "fair" because it's an important aspect of a good game/boss for me. Since Dark Souls, FromSoft has master the art of "challenging but fair" in my opinion. But it's not the case of Malenia in my opinion. Her waterfall attack is really infuriating for me. I question also a bit her staggers which looks inconsistent to me and cost me countless death. Her regen is fine in my opinion.
To be honest, several times in Elden Ring I had the feeling they "failed" a bit on this "challenging but fair" aspect. I hope it's not a consequence of the constant talk about how their games are difficult and they feel they need to push further the limits. We'll see their future works. I know the incoming DLC will be probably be a step further in difficulty like it always has been in their DLC (still looking forward to it).

keefged4

I'm currently going through Elden Ring again for the 4th time, its magnificent. But Bloodborne is better, so Bloodborne. But really whynotboth.gif

DelireMan7

Bloodborne is more focused, exquisite from start to finish
This !

The big "letdown" of Elden Ring is its size and how great content was diluted in a middle of "no so interesting stuff" (catacombs, reused bosses, uninspired lesser bosses...).
Elden Ring has amazing content in a middle of "okay" content.

Again I might sound a bit harsh on Elden Ring, but I really like the game and finished it several times and will do the DLC. And it's above many of the big AAA games that came out recently

Danjin44

That's why I used quotation mark on "equal level". The fight is design to feel like a battle between 2 hunters. Even if one is a boss. (And the battle is much more interesting that PvP xD)
In Elden Ring you are fighting Malenia, one of the strongest demigod who overpowered General Redahn......Of course you are no her equal, thats why the fight is fucking epic.

Sgt.Asher

Elden Ring.
Though i did just played bloodborne again and I do appreciate it more, it's the Campbell's condensed soup of fromsoft.

MagnesD3

Elden Ring by far.

I don't understand why Bloodborne is loved so much. I like them all, but Bloodborne is the weakest FromSoftware game, imo.
Armored Core 6 is that for me out of their great modern era but out of the soulslike I agree Bloodbourne is on the bottom since its just slightly worse than the souls games in almost every way except for the rally mechanic.

Top Bottom