• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

yurinka

so you think its gonna outsell dark souls 3 by double?
  • Cyberpunk 2077 had a 1,054,388 Steam CCU peak (we also have to understand that CD Project owns GoG so many of their PC sales may have been there).
  • Elder Ring had a 891,638 Steam CCU peak. Which means it's the top 7 CCU peak in Steam's history.
  • Dark Souls III had a 129,975 Steam CCU peak.

In barely 10 days Cyberpunk sold 13 million copies (and will continue selling way more), while DS III needed over 4 years to reach 10 million units sold.

In PS, ER launch week numbers may have been a bit affected by the Horizon 2 release, but to expect to see Elder Ring selling at least 2X the units Dark Souls III sold makes sense. I think it's highly possible to see Elder Ring reaching over 20M units sold.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Guys how do you transport to the Roundtable area?, i want to use the blacksmith to level up some gear but i wasnt concentrating when the game warped me there first time, and now i'm sot sure how to get back lol.

XJF

Guys how do you transport to the Roundtable area?, i want to use the blacksmith to level up some gear but i wasnt concentrating when the game warped me there first time, and now i'm sot sure how to get back lol.
Open map, Roundtable is bottom left of map.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Roughly what % of the whole map is Limgrave? Ive been playing 20+ hours and still havent done everything in it lol

Not uncovered the whole thing yet but I would estimate Limgrave is about 20%. When you factor in areas that aren't on the main map, and some huge interious, it's even less.

Cyberpunkd

Is there a way to see summons signs without using the thing you craft? Or do I have to use one every time I die?

EDIT: I don't die very often though.....only like 10 times an hour.
Yes, this was super confusing for me, it seems you really need to use that item in order to summon others.

SJRB

Gold Member
Yes, this was super confusing for me, it seems you really need to use that item in order to summon others.

The summoning system is needlessly obtuse. There are like 7 key items that involve summoning or being summoned and they all have vague or abstract descriptions. It shouldn't be that complicated.

But yeah, you need to use a consumable if you want to see player summon signs. You don't need to do that for AI summons though, so that's a plus.

Last edited:

Sgt.Asher

Played all weekend long, really like it so far.
Bosses though seem to be balanced around spirits. Nearly every boss has been hyper aggressive with little stopping between attacks and their attacks hit harder too. I don't remember many bosses in DS3 being that quick. shit the boss in the hand spider manor didn't leave an opening unless she was attacking something else.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The summoning system is needlessly obtuse. There are like 7 key items that involve summoning or being summoned and they all have vague or abstract descriptions. It shouldn't be that complicated.

That's Dark Souls, alright. It's dumb as shit but I sort of love it.

Bottom left on your map, or just zoom out completely and it becomes the biggest thing to select.

imsosleepy

found my own little farm to gain a few extra levels sneaky and quickly. Got to the church of marika and there is a big beast there that is not hard to kill if you have spirits and u can summon them there, gives me 1k each time i kill him and he is back everytime i teleport back. Dont wanne ruin the full experience for me but since I found it myself I can treat myself on 2 3 extra levels haha

I like the game can't wait to get some free time this weekend but it definitely doesn't deserve 10/10s and it's definitely not the best souls games. Some of the stuff in thus is like Pokémon and enemies just fall from the sky their are soo many messy elements to this game. I haven't even go into the frame drops when fighting a boss and when doing a role your character doesn't respond...

I think Sony should buy from Software I think they could make them a better company. It's a good game can't wait to get back to playing it.

I dont actually like the cheesy crouching and jumping (great for Sekiro) and I also feel like overall character movement and the weighted feeling of other souls games over this.

This game could use some polish....

Last edited:

imsosleepy

Not uncovered the whole thing yet but I would estimate Limgrave is about 20%. When you factor in areas that aren't on the main map, and some huge interious, it's even less.
are you for real?! I'm having a blast in limgrave for a few days now..stil not went passed this area and there is so much to explore!

Aesius

Finally took on Margit with a +14 Longsword and level 40 something. Melted him pretty easily but Godrick was still tough even being so OP at this point in the game.

Stormveil Castle is absurdly huge. So many glowing items in so many seemingly unreachable places.

near

Gold Member

I found a hidden area yesterday which is absolutely huge with its own map. This game is honestly mind-blowing in scope.

Dr.Morris79

Utterly hooked. This is exactly what I want from gaming and to know these lands are huge is just icing on the cake.
UjQu8qz.jpg

So I decided to give up on my faith/str build for now. This is my third time re-rolling. I made a prisoner I put about 10 hours into, and a faith/str confessor I put about 30 hours into and got to level 45.

Magic just doesn't click with me really. I'll probably revisit it eventually. I will say this: I found an incantation off an enemy I killed that let me almost one shot a lot of late game enemies. It fucks up bosses too and requires less then 20 fp. Seems incredibly strong, incantations are no joke.

The Samurai just feels more comfortable to me. I honestly feel like strength/faith builds require a lot of skill or at least some skill I don't have. the slow attacks really make you get down your timing just right. and if you go into casting you are a lot squishier than a pure str build. it could be that I didn't find any incatantations that buff my character ot make him tankier, I'm assuming some of them have to exist. Dex build seems to be more forgiving since the attacks are very fast.

the move set on the katanas is amazing. and when I dual wield them, it seems to cause bleed damage crazy fast.

found my own little farm to gain a few extra levels sneaky and quickly. REMOVED
you might want to spoiler tag that

having said that, I agree, this area is amazing. FYI you can sneak around and backstab them all, there are a lot of them, then reset the area

this has to be intentionally put there to power level your new characters or something. they are incredibly easy to back stab and are spread out far enough where they don't aggro each other (usually). I made a Samurai last night and have been using it to level up given I already put over 30 hours on my faith/str build so I don't feel bad exploiting that area.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Played all weekend long, really like it so far.
Bosses though seem to be balanced around spirits. Nearly every boss has been hyper aggressive with little stopping between attacks and their attacks hit harder too. I don't remember many bosses in DS3 being that quick. shit the boss in the hand spider manor didn't leave an opening unless she was attacking something else.
The game is not meant to be soloed. That’s blatantly clear.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I like the game can't wait to get some free time this weekend but it definitely doesn't deserve 10/10s and it's definitely not the best souls games. Some of the stuff in thus is like Pokémon and enemies just fall from the sky their are soo many messy elements to this game. I haven't even go into the frame drops when fighting a boss and when doing a role your character doesn't respond...

I think Sony should buy from Software I think they could make them a better company. It's a good game can't wait to get back to playing it.

I dont actually like the cheesy crouching and jumping (great for Sekiro) and I also feel like overall character movement and the weighted feeling of other souls games over this.

Yea, I don't really have any negatives to say about the game. It feels and plays like a Souls game with some added flourishes.

I'm kind of questioning the "GOAT/Genre Defining" comments though. Not because I think the game is bad but it's more or less typical Souls stuff with more open space. That's a good thing but it's not like we haven't seen an open world game before. Maybe lots of these people have never really played Souls games all that much?

It is definitely on the minds of people who haven't played Souls games though, I heard people talking about it this past weekend at a local brewery, basically people saying they wanted to get this new "Game of Thrones" type game and were hearing how brutal it was. Lots of people are interested in it. My friend even brought it up and she doesn't play games at all.

im not well versed on souls games. Is dropping enemies on u from the sky a thing? I was like WTF when this happened to me in elden ring. a whole pack of wolves fell out of a gd tree on me. And i know that mf goblin wasn't in the room. I looked at the ceiling. He wasn't there

im not well versed on souls games. Is dropping enemies on u from the sky a thing? I was like WTF when this happened to me in elden ring. a whole pack of wolves fell out of a gd tree on me. And i know that mf goblin wasn't in the room. I looked at the ceiling. He wasn't there
No this dumb stuff never happens in fact souls games feel more like a tactical single player game without stealth. The way you run away from enemies and the whole messiness of this game isn't common. This is actually probably one of the worst souls games to be honest.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Just started today...any tips for a new player?
Don't be afraid to look up guides that will help you get golden seeds and other useful tools in the beginning hours of the game. These games can be so insanely difficult, you're not gonna spoil the game by occasionally using a guide for help. It's still gonna be brutally difficult at times but that extra bit of help can make all the difference in the world between outright frustration and "this is challenging but rewarding..."

Basically, don't think you're cheating or missing out by poking at guides, these games are cryptic and incredibly hard. There's also a shit ton of stuff to do and see so you're going to experience things blind all the time even if you opted to pour over a guide throughout your sessions.

hlm666

So the world is massive, didn't really expect it to be as big as it is. Actually havn't really had the feeling this game creates in regards to world size since my early mmo days trying to find friends starting cities in EQ. I expected the open world to cause sacrifices with the dungeon/castle areas, boy was that incorrect. I've been through 3 of the major castle/dungeons areas now and these have been better than any previous DS games for me, so good no compromises.

I'm so addicted at the moment, I do have some negatives though. Alot of the attack patterns from DS3 have been reused here, which I don't overly care about but it's pretty obvious when they take the abyss watchers move set and give them to waldo the werewolf and crank his speed to mach 1 to make it new. Coop in the open world is pointless without the mounts available. Pvp at the moment seems to be DS3 release bleed spam everywhere, small sample set ive been invaded about 20 times probably at least 17 of them I know were using bleed, I think the ones I'm not sure what they were doing were trying to use weapon arts that could 1 hit kill. The light load dodge/roll seems to be barely worth trying to keep light load for.

Only starfield has a chance of knocking this off goty for me, and I don't like it's chances.

Swift_Star

Banned

Enemy positioning in dungeons are all over the place, yes.

Boneless

Yes, the main stuff is nice, not Sekiro or Dark Souls 1 level of nice, but okay nonetheless. Even that blue dragon was pretty fun.

But the dungeon stuff is Capra Demon level of stupidity.

Cool mini bosses so far,
rune bear, big octopus, magma wyrm.
I like it.

Swift_Star

Banned
No this dumb stuff never happens in fact souls games feel more like a tactical single player game without stealth. The way you run away from enemies and the whole messiness of this game isn't common. This is actually probably one of the worst souls games to be honest.
Of course it does, since Demon’s there always were enemies in the ceiling that falls on you.

Freeman76

Right now everyone is hyped as hell on the game and most of the takes are bad. It's hard to say that one is better than another when it comes to exploration. One thing Elden Ring does not have is relaxation, BOTW is tranquil at times, same with Skyrim. In BOTW sometimes you will climb a mountain, just to fly back down, or spend time in certain areas because it's nice and beautiful, there is nothing like that in Elden Ring.

What a load of old bollocks

This game has loads of relaxing areas and scenes to take in. It also can be very relaxing to play when you're farming items, gathering ingredients etc.

Bragr

Banned
What a load of old bollocks

This game has loads of relaxing areas and scenes to take in. It also can be very relaxing to play when you're farming items, gathering ingredients etc.
Stop nuthugging Elden Ring, every part of that world involves fighting.

Freeman76

With ashes of war, i just dont get how it works. I use it without knowing how effective it really is, and once its applied, even if it isnt as useful as the base weapon skill, not only can I not return to the base skill, but I cant reuse the ashes of war either? Or have i misunderstood it? Seems dumb if I am right, as i dont wanna risk fucking up my +8 weapon when upgrade stones are so hard to come by 🤣

Soodanim

With ashes of war, i just dont get how it works. I use it without knowing how effective it really is, and once its applied, even if it isnt as useful as the base weapon skill, not only can I not return to the base skill, but I cant reuse the ashes of war either? Or have i misunderstood it? Seems dumb if I am right, as i dont wanna risk fucking up my +8 weapon when upgrade stones are so hard to come by 🤣
They can be applied and removed an infinite number of times. Feel free to experiment

You can remove it and apply it to any other weapon at any time for free

It isn’t permanent

are crystal tears a limited resource?

I'm scared to use my wondrous flask as the only crystal tears I've found are looted in certain areas. haven't seen vendors sell them or monsters drop them.

Top Bottom