• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

DeaDPo0L84

Me and my wife played for 12 hours yesterday, overall our experience was a lot of fun, but...still a lot of issues. I had two hard crashes on my end and it's always great logging back in and the game reminds me to use the quit function so I don't lose progress then I make this face: 😒

We killed I think 5 or so bosses, wont name them or anything to avoid spoilers but a couple really gave us a challenge but also a rewarding feeling when we finally were able to defeat them. We're really enjoying the open world they've created BUT...

The limitations in coop are extremely annoying. Why can't we use our fucking horses in coop!!! I mean sure the game runs like shit as is in spots but hell I'd fight through the pain if we could both use our horse, being we can't there's so many areas we can't traverse. Also we can't use spirit summons which I assume is a balancing issue but all the same the game will still allow me to summon my level 100 friend who can just murder all the bosses for me so really what's the point?

Also there's so many caves/dungeons we came across that we'd love to explore but are inexplicably blocked off, this happened way too many times. I assume this is due to some story progression issue but it just ruins the flow of exploration.

So lots of things to work through, I'm honestly more upset about no ultrawide support or unlocked framerate at the moment then I am about anything else. It's mind boggling in 2022 they omitted these features but here we are.

SCB3

the new Pokemon game is looking great

FMtQnjrWUAA_nHE

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
I've just got the map completely unlocked (I think) and picked up all sorts of nasty Faith spells running through zones on my horse on a suicide mission. At first I had this notion that I would see everything in Limegrave but then you come to realize what an overwhelming task that is so I want to clear the map to fast travel when I'm ready to make sure I don't miss anything.

I really don't like the BOTW comparisons but I also see them, just going to be as blunt about this as possible.... this game is BETTER THAN BOTW IN EVERY WAY. The graphics are better, the story is better, the character building is better. It's really not even close..... for as great as BOTW was that bullshit with the breaking weapons was a complete fuck up.

There is a lore reason for wolves to fall from the sky. I haven't see any Dragons fall from sky either, if anything they flew in like a normal dragon would. If you are talking about the troll coming down in that gate area, he is not falling down from the sky, he is standing on top of a rock getting ready to jump. Use your camera more and explore around.

It's nice that you try to blatantly shit on this game with very poor reasoning and explanation because you want to be cool and go against the norm and the fact that this is a game of all time. But I pity you and laugh in your face.

I'd rate your post 1/10. Try harder next.time. :)
I like the game but the animations look so cheap and the wolves falling from the sky can give someone the impression that things are falling from the sky. The Wolves also have garbage animations and you see it at the very beginning when you're in the cave for the first miniboss.

Fools idol

Banned
there are some summons in this that completely break the bosses.

For example, every single humanoid dungeon boss can be beaten simply by using the Jellyfish, waiting for it to divert attention and simply walking right in for a free backstab. Rinse repeat. I have yet to see any boss counter this strategy, which does kind of trivialise boss encounters completely.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I like the game but the animations look so cheap and the wolves falling from the sky can give someone the impression that things are falling from the sky. The Wolves also have garbage animations and you see it at the very beginning when you're in the cave for the first miniboss.

This is such a weird chip to have on your shoulder, is the game really made that much worse for you because of the handful of times in a 50+ hour game that monsters fall from the sky? Monster ambushes have been a thing since Demon's Souls, I'm really not following why this is such a problem

there are some summons in this that completely break the bosses.

For example, every single humanoid dungeon boss can be beaten simply by using the Jellyfish, waiting for it to divert attention and simply walking right in for a free backstab. Rinse repeat. I have yet to see any boss counter this strategy, which does kind of trivialise boss encounters completely.
it seems like this becomes less viable later in the game

I was only 30 or so hours in on my faith/str build and bosses would 1 shot my jellyfish

even my Oleg summon, which is supposedly one of the, if not the, strongest summons in the game struggled until I upgraded the crap out of him. even then, bosses could make quick work of him.

MachRc

The whole weekend devoted to Elden Ring due to the hype...

I have not successfully parried any attacks and choose to either block, or roll away..
Anyone actually use parry>?

Am I stupid for not being able to assign a D-pad for potion?
having to scroll through inventory from throwing daggers to potion all while dodging and running is probably been the most difficult to adapt.

I thought I was stuck in the roundtable until I just opened map and transported out.
I tried really hard to have fun and not give up and keep at it.

I dont know if I am having fun

SCB3

So is everything here designed to trick me? Is that the True Elden Ring?

Got stuck in a Tower with a big Tanky fire knight

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member

I have not successfully parried any attacks and choose to either block, or roll away..

having to scroll through inventory from throwing daggers to potion all while dodging and running is probably been the most difficult to adapt.

I thought I was stuck in the roundtable until I just opened map and transported out.

You assign the quick item in the start menu. Go to the right and highlight the one you want to equip it too. Then triangle I belive on ps5.

fart town usa

Gold Member
So 10 hours hit now, I’m enjoying this world, however there are a few annoyances that are fine for most

For example finding the maps, surely a better system is when you find the Bonfires that it fills in where you’ve been or something, I’m near castle Morne and have no idea where the map for this area is despite the messages being left
edit- NM, someone already posted an image.

I was exploring the Eastern part of Limgrave and didn't have the map. It did have some things pop up though, like a road and a tower.monument looking structure. I figured it might be the Map so I went there and sure enough, it was.

Maybe explore some more and look for a grayish tower looing thing to appear on the map.

Last edited:
That is awesome. Does it drop from the big octopus things that look like it?
it drops from

the little octopus guys that surround the big ones. there is a shit load of them directly south of deathtouched catacombs in the starting area. there isa. pond right below that dungeon, you can see it on the map

the big ones might drop it too, but the small ones dropped it for me

Last edited:

imsosleepy

hoooly shit I was so frustrated with someone I came across in the stormveil castle.. Could not find anything on how to beat him. Then found a random comment that said how to beat him in a easy way..
If u ever come across this stupid knight
The bronze knight at the bottom of the castle.. You can actually lure him to fall down the elevator lol

Keihart

A lot of this is just extremely cheap input reading though, not some "amazing upgraded AI", fighting games had it forever and everyone hates it, because the devs don't code in a realistic delay in their reactions.
The AI can basically react instantly the second you press a button, even before your own animation starts; the end result just makes them seem psychic and it's cheap and lazy.

From also still hasn't fixed the input buffering either, this means if you dodge a moment too late and get hit, the game will hold your dodge input, causing you to dodge after being hit, this can be a death sentence with the insane tracking on some of the enemy attacks; it really should get rid of any inputs when you get interrupted by an attack.
i agree, it's not amazing AI it just makes encounters more challenging.
The input buffer tho? it's fucking trash, it probably the worst it has ever been, it buffers for seconds, you can press roll, get slap in the face and end up rolling afterwards. If i want to play devils advocate maybe it's meant to prevent mashing, but still, it feels off.

MastAndo

My Vagabond looks...vagabond-y. 10 hours in and I haven't found anything worth swapping out the starting gear for, minus a helmet that is a complete mismatch.

I'm hoping to stumble upon something better looking in my travels, otherwise I fear I'll be maidenless forever.

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Hinedorf

Banned
it seems like this becomes less viable later in the game

I was only 30 or so hours in on my faith/str build and bosses would 1 shot my jellyfish

even my Oleg summon, which is supposedly one of the, if not the, strongest summons in the game struggled until I upgraded the crap out of him. even then, bosses could make quick work of him.
I'm still going at it with my Confessor Str/Faith build, regarding your earlier comment about Faith seeming lacking, early game it definitely is with fire sling being your only viable option even when pumped up isn't all that great. Once you get past Margit the door really opens to go out and find the OP spells but quite frankly this world is so vast you wont stumble or luck your way into finding them without some guidance which is what I had to do.

As an example Black Flame made the Godrick fight absolutely comical. I'm going to fully max this character before I reroll and in now knowing several great grind locations the next character leveling should be a breeze. Next build will be STR/DEX quality build with either Vagabond/Warrior

Other than the Margit fight where I used wolves to get a few fireballs off I almost never utilize the summon for any fight, doesn't feel that needed to me

This is such a weird chip to have on your shoulder, is the game really made that much worse for you because of the handful of times in a 50+ hour game that monsters fall from the sky? Monster ambushes have been a thing since Demon's Souls, I'm really not following why this is such a problem
Everyone on this board gets defensive when someone points out flaws in something.

Last edited:
hoooly shit I was so frustrated with someone I came across in the stormveil castle.. Could not find anything on how to beat him. Then found a random comment that said how to beat him in a easy way..
If u ever come across this stupid knight
The bronze knight at the bottom of the castle.. You can actually lure him to fall down the elevator lol
Or you can just shoot him with arrows.......

To piggyback on this, how viable is just rolling two handed the whole time with the Uchigatana (essentially ignoring block/parry)?

SJRB

Gold Member
My Vagabond looks...vagabond-y. 10 hours in and I haven't found anything worth swapping out the starting gear for, minus a helmet that is a complete mismatch.

I'm hoping to stumble upon something better looking in my travels, otherwise I fear I'll be maidenless forever.

The fashion souls is pretty weak, at least in the earlier game segments. I'm 20 hours in and I've changed to one other outfit [Exile armor].

Look, I'll give you fact that the wolves animations are not the best. From Software was never really known for outstanding animations or great technical aspects.

I never got impressions that everything from the sky, with some things I know about the lore it's not far fetched to have things come from the sky in a universe like elden ring. This is a dark Gothic fantasy, not a irl video game replication...

Souls games have always been about the environments and scenery and no one does it better than Elden Ring. Boss animations I think are pretty well done though. Wolves is a very low tier enemy and don't bite rme much with their animations.

I'm still going at it with my Confessor Str/Faith build, regarding your earlier comment about Faith seeming lacking, early game it definitely is with fire sling being your only viable option even when pumped up isn't all that great. Once you get past Margit the door really opens to go out and find the OP spells but quite frankly this world is so vast you wont stumble or luck your way into finding them without some guidance which is what I had to do.

As an example Black Flame made the Godrick fight absolutely comical. I'm going to fully max this character before I reroll and in now knowing several great grind locations the next character leveling should be a breeze. Next build will be STR/DEX quality build with either Vagabond/Warrior

Other than the Margit fight where I used wolves to get a few fireballs off I almost never utilize the summon for any fight, doesn't feel that needed to me
I found a book that unlocked lightning incantations and they did seem VERY strong

the lightning spear and enchant your weapon with lightning are the two I used, and they both did a shit load of damage with my low faith

I just got frustrated spending hours and hours to kill a boss that dropped a weapon I wanted for my faith/str build, only to find out I can't use lightning enchant on it, meaning it would probably be best to use a normal weapon

I'm sure I'll go back to my str/faith build, especially if it becomes a meta in pvp or something.

enjoying my samurai for now though. I prefer the simplicity of just having a sword and bow

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Haven't watched, but it feels like complaining about difficulty is invalidated by the outstanding reviews and sales making it abundantly clear that it's been accepted.

Besides, ER has more ways to make life easier than ever before without compromising on its core gameplay. So far I have:
  • Passive healing
  • A special customisable effect flask
  • A choice of NPC summons (one of which self revives)
  • Crafting bombs of your choosing whenever you like (for free, past the inital urn cost)
  • A weapon customisation system that lets me do (almost) whatever I want without the old limitations, including early access to a group poison weapon effect
Couldn't do any of that before. People still want to complain about git gud? They need to git gud. They also need to know what that means: git smart. Pay attention and wait your turn. You die because you tried to hit 4 times knowing you could only fit 3 in, but you kept doing it anyway. Punishing but fair has always been the philosophy.

The argument that « easy mode will not hurt the game, why do you care?? » is also pretty wack. Not only did the developers repeatedly said no, but I also think it would dilute the genre.

When I talk to a friend and we say we beat the Nameless king, or maybe he tried but couldn’t, we BOTH understand the hardship of it, because everyone is on the same difficulty

When I know someone that beat a boss I couldn’t? This is my reaction

Robert Redford Nod GIF

Making an easy mode removes all that, because now beating a boss is basically a checklist to either a platinum or an ending.

It’s the same reason all rowers train indoor on a Concept C2, even Olympic athletes, because it’s a benchmark. It sets the bar for your effort versus result and is consistant throughout the years.

Many games don’t give a shit about that, but do you even recall much of the fights you had in it? Can we even place a single boss from Jedi Fallen order in a top 50 tier list in the souls genre?

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I will simply play both.
Once I get tired of dying too many times at the same spot in Elden Ring I’ll just play some GT7. The games are very dissimilar so I think it will work out fine.
Yep, I am going to be doing both. Perfect way to mix it up when I get souls fatigue. I’m not getting that fatigue as much though in Elden Ring, it is a lot of fun exploring.

Don’t even know why I bought Forbidden West to be honest as I’ll probably play it last properly. Wanted to genuinely support guerilla though as it is an absolutely beautiful game from the few hours I played before Elden ring has taken over my life.

isoRhythm

Banned
Sorry to derail, but Elden Ring isn't broken.

I've played 17 hours with no gameplay issues and only 2 or 3 network issues that were fine after retrying. If this is a reference to performance, I can attest that this is the most performant on launch day release FROM/Miyazaki has put out to date. It plays very well. The only thing not working afaik is blood stains.

I have no doubt they will patch in improvements, but if you think it is "broken" now on PS5 and are waiting for it to be "fixed", that will never happen and you can just cross it off your backlog.

On topic: I honestly am expecting this to be the best Gran Turismo every released and the videos have me very hyped overall.
Yeah, fix was a bit strong there. I should've added I will play on PC so waiting for fan-made patches, ENBs, mods, etc :messenger_grinning:

fart town usa

Gold Member

I don't use parry for anything. I always dual wield weapons and will pull out the shield if the situation calls for it. I focus more on getting my timing right with rolling. Dual wielding is done by holding triangle and hitting L1 or R1.

There's also the shield parry which is super easy and new to the Souls games, just use the shield and it should stun the enemy and you just hit R2 for massive damage.

If by potions you mean flasks, you can hold Down on the d-pad and it will make your flask appear, no need to cycle through, though cycling through items in the heat of battle can be annoying.

You can also assign items to your pouch, it's on the right-hand side in the options menu. Once they're in your pouch, you hold triangle and then up, down, left, right to use the item.

You also want to check your weight, you should always be at medium or light. Heavy loads will cause you to roll slower.

MachRc

I noticed the seed in the pouch, thanks, its a miracle Ive gotten so far without knowing some of the basic ass stuff. For some reason I miss Nioh and Nioh 2s combat over this.
The castle is pretty damn difficult right now.

Chiggs

Gold Member

Translation: I'm a big baby who needs to led around by the nose like a stooge. I don't like mystery and discovery...just tell me how to do things.

Ash Parrish

Ash Parrish​

Video Games Reporter
Ash is a Video Games Reporter for The Verge with a focus on covering marginalized gamers and their communities, writing about the intersection of video games and sex, and finding a way to make the general video gaming public care about the Overwatch League.

Tv Land Wow GIF by YoungerTV

Last edited:

GHG

You know that playing multiple games at once is a possibility right? Especially when they are in different genres.

When I rage quit Elden Ring I can hop in to GT7 and then when I rage quit GT7 after getting punted by Momoz I can go back to Elden ring.

Life Soap GIF by DrSquatchSoapCo

I will not play ER, unless Bluepoint remasters it. And I won’t be playing GT unless its VR2 killer app. (And I have a wheel for PS5)

That being said Sony might as well release GOW2 in 3 weeks. Maybe then ill be done with Horizon.

bArTl3bY

It's going to be a fun time for me, these two are my most anticipated games this year and of course they release within a week of each other. Haha. I'll manage both fine but there likely won't be anything else in my rotation for at least a couple of weeks.

So I'm 40 hours in and I've yet to find a better melee weapon than something I got in the first few hours: the Golden Halberd. Yeah, I arguably shouldn't have had that weapon so early, but I fought Tree Sentinel for like an hour while HORRIBLY underleveled (started as a lvl 1) so I'd say I earned it.

Having said that, it's kinda lame that it's seemingly so OP. I've tried to branch out to other weapons but this thing is just too good to stop using.

Edit: I just hopped around some mid-game Twitch streams and sure enough, most are using it. Not surprised at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom