• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elder Scrolls Online Beta sign up

gossi

The publishers/corporate guys in charge think this is going to be some Big Thing(tm) - if you took part in the beta, do the survey and drop by the beta forum. Because, man.

They're looking at retailing at full price on Xbox One as an example, with the high subscription charge per month and Xbox Live Gold charge.

Samus4145

Couldn't even get past the character creator. Same error every time.

First question on the survey should be, could you log in.

Valhelm

contribute something
The publishers/corporate guys in charge think this is going to be some Big Thing(tm) - if you took part in the beta, do the survey and drop by the beta forum. Because, man.

They're looking at retailing at full price on Xbox One as an example, with the high subscription charge per month and Xbox Live Gold charge.

Wait, they want to release TES Online for Xbox One? When did this happen!?

Mandoric

Banned
That's only content changing though, the basic gameplay does not change. For instance, while the pvp MAY be fun in TESO, or the end game pve may be really cool somehow, the combat and quest systems are NOT going to change, they're basic gameplay functions, and they're bad. So, it's genuinely not that difficult to get an idea of how an MMO plays pretty quickly. I had an entire bar of hotkeys by level 3 or 4, If the low level abilities suck and aren't fun, why would I extrapolate something different for the level 20 and 30 abilities?

I mean, yeah, wow at level 10 is different in many ways from wow at level 90 in a raid, but all the same the basic act of running up to something and killing it isn't THAT different aside from the amount of depth due to having more options.

That's still a product of the WoW-derivative mindset on how MMOs "have to work", though.
What if we take regen out of the picture, your abilities start coming at around level 20, and below that it's a jRPG-style resource management game of how long you can stretch between trips to go heal?
What if later on we play with monster interaction and placement to the point where fights are a formality after the 3D stealth action segment of getting to the monster?
What if we take a page from the MOBA end of things and make lower levels all PvE, and higher all PvP?

Not that I expect TESO to do any of these things, but there's definitely room for that kind of variety even within the context of a tab-target+macro interface.

TheYanger

That's still a product of the WoW-derivative mindset on how MMOs "have to work", though.
What if we take regen out of the picture, your abilities start coming at around level 20, and below that it's a jRPG-style resource management game of how long you can stretch between trips to go heal?
What if later on we play with monster interaction and placement to the point where fights are a formality after the 3D stealth action segment of getting to the monster?
What if we take a page from the MOBA end of things and make lower levels all PvE, and higher all PvP?

Not that I expect TESO to do any of these things, but there's definitely room for that kind of variety even within the context of a tab-target+macro interface.

None of those things have anything to do with BASIC GAMEPLAY principles. Games can absolutely become more complex as you go along, they all do, it would be ridiclous to insinuate elder scrolls doesn't. What doesn't change is the basic gameplay functionality in the game. If somehow elder scrolls is VASTLY different at level 30 than at level 3, the real question is why anything at the beginning of the game exists at all.

To make it more clear, this is like me playing 1-1 of Mario and you showing me a video of Halo saying it might be more like that later. There's no logical reason it would be that way, which is why people write the game off so quickly, and if it WERE that way, it would be just as big of a travesty in design as you can imagine. If you show me 1-1 and then show me 8-1 however, yes I will in fact believe they are the same game and that the concepts are simply evolving and becoming more complex.

Mandoric

Banned
None of those things have anything to do with BASIC GAMEPLAY principles. Games can absolutely become more complex as you go along, they all do, it would be ridiclous to insinuate elder scrolls doesn't. What doesn't change is the basic gameplay functionality in the game. If somehow elder scrolls is VASTLY different at level 30 than at level 3, the real question is why anything at the beginning of the game exists at all.

To make it more clear, this is like me playing 1-1 of Mario and you showing me a video of Halo saying it might be more like that later. There's no logical reason it would be that way, which is why people write the game off so quickly, and if it WERE that way, it would be just as big of a travesty in design as you can imagine. If you show me 1-1 and then show me 8-1 however, yes I will in fact believe they are the same game and that the concepts are simply evolving and becoming more complex.

It's not a question of complexity, it's a question of focusing on different core gameplay systems in different content ranges. This definitely isn't a common feature of the genre now, but it's not unheard of and the idea that it's a travesty or illogical is just part of the current feedback-treadmill, theme-park-ride genre standard rather than a core truth.

For another MMO example, I'd say that Aion's core conceit when it works, which really wasn't all that often, is another "it all changes" moment. Solo PvE is standing stock still or kiting in circles and DPS-racing dumb mobs, and the game is mastering rotation while bidding as close to your resource/dps potential without going over; suddenly at level 25 the game is massive group PvP and all about area control in 3D/cooldowns and reaction. Same interface, the same buttons do the same things, but suddenly it's a qualitatively different game of the guy with spatial awareness and yomi winning as opposed to a quantitatively different game of the guy who can learn to 111321431113421 outperforming the guy who never got beyond 1111211112.

TheYanger

It's not a question of complexity, it's a question of focusing on different core gameplay systems in different content ranges. This definitely isn't a common feature of the genre now, but it's not unheard of and the idea that it's a travesty or illogical is just part of the current feedback-treadmill, theme-park-ride genre standard rather than a core truth.

For another MMO example, I'd say that Aion's core conceit when it works, which really wasn't all that often, is another "it all changes" moment. Solo PvE is standing stock still or kiting in circles and DPS-racing dumb mobs, and the game is mastering rotation while bidding as close to your resource/dps potential without going over; suddenly at level 25 the game is massive group PvP and all about area control in 3D/cooldowns and reaction. Same interface, the same buttons do the same things, but suddenly it's a qualitatively different game of the guy with spatial awareness and yomi winning as opposed to a quantitatively different game of the guy who can learn to 111321431113421 outperforming the guy who never got beyond 1111211112.

Nothing you described is actually a change in the core gameplay functionality. Nothing is going to suddenly make unfun combat fun, and if it is - the question is why have unfun combat for the first X hours of gameplay at all?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Nothing you described is actually a change in the core gameplay functionality. Nothing is going to suddenly make unfun combat fun, and if it is - the question is why have unfun combat for the first X hours of gameplay at all?

Yep. Basically TES Online just has bad gameplay design, that's the short story. The only way it will get better is if they do some hard work to improve a lot of the core gameplay. Sounds to me like they are focusing on content now up until launch though, so it doesn't seem promising.

Thankfully, Elder's Scroll VI has nothing to do with this, so hopefully it doesn't damage the brand too much and we get our true next TES game untarnished.

dubq

Thankfully, Elder's Scroll VI has nothing to do with this, so hopefully it doesn't damage the brand too much and we get our true next TES game untarnished.

I think TES fans would still buy into the next TES regardless of how the MMO version goes.

MillerEP

Neo Member
I've been having the worst luck recently in getting in betas. Since everything is moving towards pay for "Early Access" or pay for this founders pack and get "guaranteed alpha/beta access." They've been sliding downhill. Still nada on beta invited for The Elder Scrolls for me.

Lucifon

I got one. But the launcher simply won't open. Double click and nothing happens. Tried running as an admin but still nothing. Anyone else got this?

ref

I got two beta keys for the weekend beta coming up (10th-12th).

I guess if you're interested in trying the game out, send me a PM. First two get the keys.

Edit: All gone.

If I get anymore, I'll post again here.

Onyar

Got one.
I can say I'm somehow exited to play even though the bad news. But I'm not expecting anything, maybe it's the way to enjoy it.

angrylamp

Neo Member
Still angry that I can't in, I am so on the fence for this. Come on open the NDA already and get some open beta's going.

The hiding with 3 months to is what worries me!

ElfArmy177

Im confused, are we waiting for another beta weekend or is this an open beta now? I cant seem to find the calender anywhere

gogosox8

Damn didn't get one. I've been getting really unlucky with these beta invites lately. If anyone has an extra or doesn't want one, I'd gladly take it off your hands : )

jediyoshi

If your ESO account has already had beta access before, is the key they sent in the recent email new or just your old one again?

MrXavier

I was in the November beta and I got reinvited again. I just got the email a few hours ago. I'm surprised they let me back in despite the feedback that I gave them.

I was in the November beta and I got reinvited again. I just got the email a few hours ago. I'm surprised they let me back in despite the feedback that I gave them.
I'm surprised they let me back in despite the feed back I didn't give them, I guess they realized that us college students were probably busy studying for finals at that time. It'll be interesting to see how the game has improved since then, if they take the feedback to heart it could become as good as SWTOR has become which isn't as bad as people say it esp now 2 years after launch.

Top Bottom