• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda teases early development of The Elder Scrolls VI on 30th anniversary of the franchise

killatopak

v9HEOUV.jpg

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Skyrim was amazing. Since then many games have raised the bar, and many more will do the same in the future. I am curious about how Bethesda can rise to the challenge. We can laugh all we want about Bethesda and Xbox problems, but it will be hard for them to give us what we want.
No PS5 Pro Jokes ?
If you really like the IP, would you want the PS5 Pro to be the ceiling or the floor? With how costly it is to make games I don't mind it either way, but if Elder Scrolls is out more than a few years from now I would prefer for it not to be limited by this gen.

Gojiira

Cant say I care, after the Non-RPG’s of Fallout 4, 76 and Starfield and dwindling quality of their games, there really isnt much hope for ES6…They NEED to get rid of Emil and his ‘writing’ team they are single handledly ruining the games more than any other department. They NEED better design philosophy and management with a design document so they know exactly what they are striving for…I dont see anything changing though, not a day one buy at all, likely not ever, they have lowered the bar that much.

I’m hoping it’s good, and turns the studio around. If they’ve learned anything since their last few releases…. Only time will tell.
I don’t want them to fail, but I don’t have a lot of hope left at this point. There’s always Oblivion and Skyrim with mods, so that’s something.

HL3.exe

For all those posting they want more physics and next gen gameplay then get ready... Elder Scrolls VI will bring it!

I mean, I think people mean 'gameplay relevant physics' when they say that.

It's why BOTW/TOTK's world simulation and physics is more impressive than '1000 potatoes in a room'. Bethesda's game-logic and systems feel ancient in that way.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Oblivion was cool cause the mechanics and engine worked 2 gens ago, Skyrim was that formula at its peak, in the same gen. This won't work in 2026 and yet I predict it will have the same engine, the same combat and the same quest design, which are all already outdated garbage today.

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

100% Elder Scrolls VI needs to be a next gen only launch title for PS6 / Xbox Next. It sounds like the timing might be about right to achieve that.

What Bethesda will lose from also releasing on past gen they will gain with the long legs the Elder Scrolls games have traditionally had.

To regain RPG dominance they need an ambitious 'wow factor' next gen game rather than one hobbled and compromised by past gen hardware.

SoloCamo

How can any sane person be remotely hyped for a new elder scrolls. Guys - this game will not be what you are hoping it to be.

Simple, because Starfield isn't nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be and the fact that TES has much more to build off of. The material is there as long as they put just a little effort in. Take previous TES titles, improve it graphically, have slightly less bugs than usual and have good writing. Do that and you're golden. TES fans aren't that hard to please which is obviously not a good thing but I know I'm a day one buyer if they follow the basic formula.

Arachnid

Fallout 4, Fallout 76, Starfield

Too many duds in a row for me personally. My expectations are in the toilet, along with my hype.

LordOfChaos

Skyrim was so good but they've disappointed so much since, and the engine even on blazing fast SSDs with hardware decompression feels so much the same, why should every door and train and elevator have a loading screen now.

I want the best but fear I'll be let down again.

Rockondevil

So long away still and I don't want to get too excited but I just enjoy starting a new Elder Scrolls game soooo god damn much.
The worlds they make just do it for me. I do hope for the obvious improvements like engine and a great story for starters, but all I can do is wait.

Cant say I care, after the Non-RPG’s of Fallout 4, 76 and Starfield and dwindling quality of their games, there really isnt much hope for ES6…They NEED to get rid of Emil and his ‘writing’ team they are single handledly ruining the games more than any other department. They NEED better design philosophy and management with a design document so they know exactly what they are striving for…I dont see anything changing though, not a day one buy at all, likely not ever, they have lowered the bar that much.
It still so funny to me that a multi million dollar project didn't have any sort of overarching design written down. I absolutely incredible stuff. Imagine these goons being tasked with building a bridge.

Last edited:
someone said this is using the same engine starfield used? If thats the case this is going to be one of the biggest failures in gaming. That engine is so fucking crusty old, might as well call it Load Simulation
And yet Starfield looks a lot better than games the just released like Dragon's Dogma 2 and Rise of the Ronin.

MujkicHaris

Day one for me.

I only hope they don't go straight to Skyrim 2.0 route. What we need is more like a combination of Oblivion's level of complexity for RPG systems and quests plus Skyrim's fluid combat and environment detail.
I love Skyrim but Oblivion is a much better game in terms of choice and layers of freedom.

Last edited:

swaffles23

Makes me incredibly sad that we will never get another Jeremy Soule scored Elder Scrolls game. The Oblivion OST is my favorite game soundtrack ever

• Love
Reactions: cjp

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I dont know what I find less likely:
1. That this will be a masterpiece
2. That Xbox and Gamepass will even be around when this comes out.

Moochi

0 hype from me. They don't have the track record anymore. The quests and characters in their games are so corporately curated I can stand them. Safe is boring.

Last edited:

Bigfroth

I can't wait for this game ,but there's no way it's ever going to live up to the hype that's going to build as time goes on. Also it will never live down all the comparisons to Skyrim that will probably happen. Skyrim was Bethesda's peak and unfortunately they will never have a game like that again.

Rob_27

You know by recent standards this won't be any better. In fact it will be far worse than Skyrim. They big things up and I am always let down.

Is it time for me to switch from console/controller to PC/KB+M and community mods to enjoy Starfield yet? The controller based aim was garbage tier and the menu loading tedious. I've got to get back to Nexus Mods and see the current state of Starfield. Should be aces by now, I might enjoy the game for what it is.

StereoVsn

I too am looking forward to the next PS6 console exclusive from Microsoft/BGS!

Also, Fallout 4 was meh, Fallout 76 sucked (eventually became meh) and Starfield is a giant scoop of meh. I wonder how ESVI will perform… 🧐

StereoVsn

Is it time for me to switch from console/controller to PC/KB+M and community mods to enjoy Starfield yet? The controller based aim was garbage tier and the menu loading tedious. I've got to get back to Nexus Mods and see the current state of Starfield. Should be aces by now, I might enjoy the game for what it is.
Give it a year for expansions, patches for expansions and the mods for the expanded/patched game.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’m in day one.

99% of this thread is too. They’ll get caught up in the hype.

When the ES theme song hits in a trailer you’ll all bust fat nuts.

Todd plays us like a damn fiddle.

PSlayer

Didn't they announce the game 5 years ago? How can that be early development?

My gut feeling is that they reseted the development after starfield's reception was lackluster to say the least.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Just thinking about another BGS game makes me wanna...

giphy.gif

I have more faith in BioWare and their next Dragon Age and Mass Effect.

Top Bottom