• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elemental: War of Magic |OT| Spellbooks, Spiders and Shards

robin2

The Fallen Enchantress beta starts tonight for anyone that was silly enough to pre-order Elemental. Like me.
I was curious about Elemental: WoM, but not being a fan of 4x games I didn't preorder. Then things went as they went and I never got it.

Awaiting opinions on this.

(I followed a bit the development and I think they worked hard, so I hope this time they got it right).

Mimir

Are they sending out emails about the beta, or is it just automatically added to your Impulse account? I pre-ordered the game, but haven't gotten any information about this beta.

Are they sending out emails about the beta, or is it just automatically added to your Impulse account? I pre-ordered the game, but haven't gotten any information about this beta.

I got an email about it, saying that it was getting added to anyone's account who preordered the original. So check your account, I guess.

Bento

I was one of the numbskulls that pre-ordered WoM. Barely played it but will give this beta a shot, hopefully they've been able to craft a better game this time around.

Woorloog

Banned
I was one of the numbskulls that pre-ordered WoM. Barely played it but will give this beta a shot, hopefully they've been able to craft a better game this time around.

Yeah... i pre-ordered WoM too and didn't really play it. 1.0: Unplayable. 1.1 for me, still unplayable. 1.2 boring or unplayable. 1.3, the same. 1.4, haven't even bothered to try it.

But FE sounds promising, so absolutely going to try it. Why not, getting it for free after all.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
The Fallen Enchantress beta starts tonight for anyone that was silly enough to pre-order Elemental. Like me.

To anyone who does try this expansion beta out, please post impressions here. This was one game I was so looking forward to, and so crushed when it came out. I never even bought it due to all the horrible reviews. Hopefully this time around they actually put a game worth buying out.

All I want is Master of Magic 2. Is it really that hard? Is it too much to ask?

alstein

My first impression:

Very very promising, but like any beta, rough around the edges.

Writing and gameplay have definitely improved.

Moobabe

My first impression:

Very very promising, but like any beta, rough around the edges.

Writing and gameplay have definitely improved.

Sounds promising. I've always had half an eye on Elemental - but the disastrous launch threw me off completely; fingers crossed for this one.

Woorloog

Banned
Hmph. Very nice. 2 hours downloading the beta, then the fucking Firefox crashes (while trying to finish the few final KBs) and wipes the whole download. Fuck.
How i'd love a torrent version of the beta installer....

Woorloog

Banned
Fallen Enchantress beta impressions:
It's stable. No crashes so far. Performance is all right despite old laptop that pretty much matches the min specs only (not using cloth map and i have minimun zoom (but that's because i like it that way)).
Looks nice. More color than EWoM.
Gameplay is certainly an improvement over WoM. Similar but feels better... since i ended up playing WoM very little, it is hard to say exactly how this is different.. for me, feels better is enough though. Tactical battles especially are much better.
Monster can gain levels and items etc, by the way, so you need to win on try number one or it is gonna be harder. No dynasties... though they can be enabled and modders can probably add them as fully working feature.
I'll play some more later on, feel free to ask questions but if your question concerns something that starts happening during mid-game or later, be prepared to wait for your answers...

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Fallen Enchantress beta impressions:
It's stable. No crashes so far. Performance is all right despite old laptop that pretty much matches the min specs only (not using cloth map and i have minimun zoom (but that's because i like it that way)).
Looks nice. More color than EWoM.
Gameplay is certainly an improvement over WoM. Similar but feels better... since i ended up playing WoM very little, it is hard to say exactly how this is different.. for me, feels better is enough though. Tactical battles especially are much better.
Monster can gain levels and items etc, by the way, so you need to win on try number one or it is gonna be harder. No dynasties... though they can be enabled and modders can probably add them as fully working feature.
I'll play some more later on, feel free to ask questions but if your question concerns something that starts happening during mid-game or later, be prepared to wait for your answers...

My number one question: does it feel like Master of Magic?

I guess I need to ask, did you ever play the old Master of Magic? Stardock has always said, from the beginning, that this was the spiritual successor to MoM. They even tried to get the MoM license at one point but couldn't, hence the different name. I so want this to be a good game.

Thanks for the impressions. Please keep us informed as you play it more, post everything.

Anno

FE beta has now expanded to anyone who purchased WoM before 11/1/2010. You'll have to log in to store.stardock.com and go to My Downloads to see if the beta is available.

Anyone been playing this? I've been following the journals and forums. People seem to be cautiously optimistic.

alstein

FE beta has now expanded to anyone who purchased WoM before 11/1/2010. You'll have to log in to store.stardock.com and go to My Downloads to see if the beta is available.

Anyone been playing this? I've been following the journals and forums. People seem to be cautiously optimistic.

There's a beta thread. I think the general consensus is that the game is coming along quite nicely, but isn't there yet.

If the game gets the same level of improvement that FFH did from its launch to .41n, you might be looking at something special though.

Top Bottom