• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elemental: War of Magic - Stardock TBS

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
If you guys DLed earlier today, check again. 2nd patch was released a few mins ago to fix something mapwise.

epmode

I've been in this beta for ages now. I really REALLY hope they get the balancing down because this one looks really special.

I still don't really like the art (character design in particular) but the stylized look works in the game's favor. It's a lot more interesting than if they'd gone for a realistic style.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
They just went gold today.

As for the balancing, my guess is it will be a work in progress for a year, with numerous patches. Absolute worst case, mods will be made.

I know a 30 Day and 60 Day patch, as well as Quest and Monster Packs are planned. Unsure if those are same thing or not, but will all be patches.

This game really does have the potential to be special, though it won't get realized until it is finished. Stardock improves their games over time more then any other company I know, and that includes Valve.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
GhaleonQ said:
Exclusive content and book tie-in: boo!
Everything else: hoorah!

I haven't played what it's based on, but Wardell always has my attention.

The book tie-in is just a single-player campaign.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
GhaleonQ said:
I'm a terrible PC gamer in that single-player is the main draw for me. *wanders back to Handheld/Console Land*

Well, 90% of the people getting this will never play MP, probably myself included. That's why Stardock stuff is so good- the AI always ends up being good enough that you don't need MP. I typically play sandbox- campaigns get dull.

GhaleonQ

arstal said:
Well, 90% of the people getting this will never play MP, probably myself included. That's why Stardock stuff is so good- the AI always ends up being good enough that you don't need MP. I typically play sandbox- campaigns get dull.

What you said. Wardell's also very generous with post-release discussion, so I can't wait for the development stories this time around.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
For those who did the beta, you may be getting it a few days early, and/or be able to preload.

Just announced tonight.

Update: looks like the early will just be 1 day, maybe 2.

Minsc

Gold Member
Anything big not make the cut this time around? The biggest problem with stardock games is you usually have to wait for expansions for some crucial features to get added in. They usually need a good 20 patches to iron out performance issues and bugs too, that was my experience with GalCiv II anyway.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Minsc said:
Anything big not make the cut this time around? The biggest problem with stardock games is you usually have to wait for expansions for some crucial features to get added in. They usually need a good 20 patches to iron out performance issues and bugs too, that was my experience with GalCiv II anyway.

Custom servers aren't in the day 0.

Yeah, SD does patch the stuff pretty quickly though- you may get it late, but you'll get it. GCII Twilight after the last patch to me is one of the most polished PC games I've played.

Can't wait for next Sunday or Monday.

eznark

Banned
Damn, I was really really hoping "early" meant the next couple of days. I'm heading to Yosemite for 10 days this Friday and wanted to get some time in with the final build.

booo

Ceebs

Just read that interview. I think more of GAF needs to see this bit:

Oh, and this game actually has the same hardware requirements as GalCiv II because we avoided doing any bump-mapping. All games have bump-mapping these days but it’s really expensive from a hardware, CPU, and video card standpoint. But because of the game's art style we didn't have to do bump mapping so our game will actually run on a netbook.

I'm very interested in seeing that because the version I’m playing most definitely will not run on a netbook.

I actually bought a three year old Thinkpad as my demo machine to drive home the point about the game's hardware requirements. It's getting 40 - 50 frames a second.

Arde5643

johnsmith said:
Civ 4 is one of my favorite games ever. Will I like this?
It's actually a different game from Civ - have you ever played MoM? Master of Magic? Or MoO? Master of Orion?

It's basically the spiritual successor of Master of Magic.

If you don't know either of those games, then think of it as a combination of Heroes of Might and Magic as well as a bit of Civ.

Arde5643

Ceebs said:
If you have some time to kill, try reading this gameplay journal. It gives a really good idea of how the game plays.

http://forums.elementalgame.com/390900

I am anxious to see how all the story stuff plays out considering all the Random House stuff they have been talking up/
Oh man oh man oh man oh man - feeling that Master of Magic nostalgia around me all over again.

Fucking yeah!! Thanks be PC games!! :D

Ceebs

KuroNeeko said:
Maaaan, how am I supposed to play this AND Starcraft 2 at the same time? ;.;
Well this one is more single player oriented so you can play this when you are not up for the stress Starcraft multiplayer brings.

epmode

Minsc said:
Enjoy. Still awesome even today. Though the game is more like Master of Magic, as mentioned, but MoO 2 has aged a bit better and I always enjoyed it a little more.
It's pretty amazing how well the Master of Orion games stand up, even today.

There are some interface annoyances, mostly due to the low resolution but I can get lost in them just as easily as before. ..and I have the lost weekend to prove it.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Impulse is saying the full version is up, but your registration key will be invalid until they pre-release it. This is planned, so no need to panic.

It's still scheduled for either Sun Night or Monday.

I think this means they finsihed the day 0 patch early, which is a good sign for stability.

Spl1nter

arstal said:
I think this means they finsihed the day 0 patch early, which is a good sign for stability.

Some people seem to have been able to play the game but Brad may have personally done that since he posts on that forum.

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?p=2343099#post2343099

Also best news from that thread

Hey Brad, what happened to the dungeons? Are they in?

edit: and thhe 64 bit version of the game? Next patch?

Only in the abstract sense.

As for 64-bit, yep, it's coming. We did eventually get Intel to get us a 64-bit version of Havok but it was too late in development to get it in for day 0.

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=48528&page=66
Just fucking awesome news.

Im going to start working on the OT thread today. any suggestions for the thread title?

arstal said:
Impulse is saying the full version is up, but your registration key will be invalid until they pre-release it. This is planned, so no need to panic.

It's still scheduled for either Sun Night or Monday.

Thanks. I got the update last night that said there is an update available, and then it said my registration was invalid. I was too tired to look into it further, so I appreciate your post.

I'm really looking forward to diving into this game. I held off on playing the beta to wait for final release. Though how I'm supposed to sink my teeth into this, replay the Witcher and Arkham Asylum and play the other ton of Q3-Q4 releases is beyond me.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
MyOtherBike said:
Thanks. I got the update last night that said there is an update available, and then it said my registration was invalid. I was too tired to look into it further, so I appreciate your post.

I'm really looking forward to diving into this game. I held off on playing the beta to wait for final release. Though how I'm supposed to sink my teeth into this, replay the Witcher and Arkham Asylum and play the other ton of Q3-Q4 releases is beyond me.

Elemental will always be there, and they'll keep making it better. they've said 2011 for their main team is going to be nothing but Elemental work (Guessing XP in a year, which will be a legit XP)

epmode

So I don't really want to make a new thread for this but Elemental got a pretty massive patch a few days ago. 1.1 revamps a lot of the core systems in the game and the full patch notes are here: http://forums.elementalgame.com/402305

Has anyone tried it out? I'm not sure if I should reinstall yet or just wait for the first expansion.

Top Bottom