• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EliteXC Heat: Kimbo V Shamrock, and two other heavyweights not in the main event....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbagdt

127206_sqvzbvmfns_xxlarge.jpg

This Saturday at 9ET, there will be some totally awesome and free MMA on CBS featuring two of the greatest MMA fighters in existance- KIMBO SLICE AND KEN SHAMROCK! There are also some other great fights, including Arlovski fighting some guy from the IFL who is fat and Gina Carano fighting a chick who is not as hot has her. But I digress- here is the card and a little info on each.

The 'Main Event' Ken Shamrock (+250) vs Kimbo Slice (-350).
UPDATE
Ken managed to cut himself this morning and will no longer have to face Slice. Who woulda thunk it. Kimbo will have a new opponent, a somewhat less pathetic Seth Petruzelli. Talk about a curve ball... who knows what will happen now. I don't know what the new odds are, but Seth might be a harder test than Ken... He still sucks, and taking a fight like this on a days notice- how prepared can you be?
UPDATE 2:
Seth wins, I wanted to call it but I didn't have the balls. So sad!

1027.jpg

Ken brings in an impressive record of 26-13-2, with an even more impressive record of 3-8 since returning to MMA in 2000. Fans who are really smart
retarded
will probably pick him by some sort of foot lock, since he is known for doing so many (his last one was in 1996). Kens last win was in 2004 against Kimo, and he has since lost 5 in a row. His last loss was from an amazing punch by Robert Berry that managed to knock him out without even having to actually hit him. Rest assured, however, that he is not just doing this for the money.

Kimbo brings in a big beard and cool teeth. Each of his opponents have been on losing streaks, starting with a 4 fight losing streak, a 3 fight losing streak, a 2 fight losing streak and now the ante is really being upped with his opponent coming in with a 5 fight losing streak. The level of competition in this main event is pretty incredible.

The next fight worth mentioning on the card is Roy Nelson (+350) vs Andrei Arlovski (-500).
1012.jpg

This match was announced just a week ago, and it seems to be a little bizarre compared with the rest of the card. Apparently, Affliction is paying the purses for both fighters and if AA wins he should be pulling in 7 figures. A pretty expensive ad for an organization that doesn't even have another event in the works until the third week of January. Regardless, we should be treated to AA laying a whooping on Nelsons big ol belly.

Next up is Paul Daley (+450) vs Jake Shields (-600). This fight is tied with the girls fights for the biggest spread between the fighters are far as odds go.
1028.jpg

Paul Daley announced his retirement not that long ago, and now is back to fight Shields. I don't care much about this fight, but maybe some others can lay down some better insight than me. At least one of the EliteXC Champs will have a belt, other than Robbie Lawler. KJ got stripped
complete garbage imo
and Bigfoot pissed hot, so those are the only two left.

Benji Radach (+175) vs Murilo Rua (-220) should be the most competitive fight of the night. Not much else I can say about it.
1031.jpg

For the ladies, you have Kelly Kobald (+450) vs Gina Carano (-600).
1034.jpg

I don't want to waste any breath commenting on this match up.... Gina should whoop her ass.....

Yoko Takahashi (+450) vs Cristiane Santos (-600) was going to be televised as a kind of swing bout depending on time, but with the addition of Arlovski and Nelson, we will probably miss this beating. At some point, maybe they will actually have Santos fight Carano? No no, that wouldn't be right..... that would be competitive....

The card is rounded out with a bunch of fighters that I know hardly anything about... but I am sure it will be great.

Blackface

Banned
I assume you are being sarcastic by calling Kimbo anything but horrible. If not, kill yourself.

Shamrock will toss the fight, much like Bo did. (and he has done in the past)

Outside of that pathetic excuse for a fight, the cards looks pretty good. Looking forward to seeing my man Shields dominate.

mrbagdt

Trax416 said:
I assume you are being sarcastic by calling Kimbo anything but horrible. If not, kill yourself.
i am glad you took the time to read my post before replying! thanks!

Elite is afraid of giving Kimbo a capable fighter and totally douched the guy with the massive ear to protect Kimbos rep. Shammy needs to wrestle Kimbo down and just take him via points, which is unlikely since he hasnt won a fight in six years.

Afrikan

harSon said:

OMG :lol :lol .... is that the Rich Franklin fight.... I've never seen that camera angle before....... LOOK at his feet :lol ...it looks like he trip over an invisible wire...haha....

People can hate on Kimbo if they want....actually they should hate on Gary Shaw (who I like)) he is the one who hypes Kimbo and chooses his opponents..... Kimbo has been very respectful to the sport ever since he started fighting professionally.......

As far as the other fights..... this is going to be a tough fight for Jake Shields.... I've seen this Daley guy fight....kid is tough.....look him up on youtube....

and speaking of Jake... that guy is cool ass dude..... my close friend trains with him and I have watched an event with him before......down to earth, serious guy......

ggnoobIGN

Banned
I've never watched UFC but will be tuning into this. Kimbo is just a freak, how could you not. No one will ever beat that thug. Cue the laughs.gifs because I'm a MMA elitest, but you guys can go screw yourselves. No one if ever taking down 250 pounds of pure awesome.

Chris R

Can't wait for this. Don't have Showtime or order PPV so the free events on Spike + this on CBS (in HD :drool: ) is the only MMA I get to see.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
ggnoobIGN said:
I've never watched UFC but will be tuning into this. Kimbo is just a freak, how could you not. No one will ever beat that thug. Cue the laughs.gifs because I'm a MMA elitest, but you guys can go screw yourselves. No one if ever taking down 250 pounds of pure awesome.

Joke poster?

ggnoobIGN said:

Guess we'll never know because he will never fight someone good.

SUPREME1

Banned
The addition of the Arlovski fight makes this twice as fun.

Look guys, this isn't elite MMA... If you accept that going in, you'll enjoy it.

This main event is a joke, but that's what'll make it entertaining. It'll be a train wreck and you won't be able to look away.

Arlovski is pretty bad ass, so at least you get a serious guy in there, even if his competition isn't up to snuff. Maybe we see a wicked KO?

Gina is also a positive in the entertainment area, just so cute.

I'll be watching the Dodgers beat down the Cubs at Chavez Ravine, and will begin switching over at times.

We're gonna be grilling. watchingthe Dodgers win there 3rd straight playoff game, and watching a freak MMA show. Add alcohol to the mix and it adds up to a fun Saturday.

Good times.

What Kimbo fanboys dont understand (aside from mma as a whole) is that hes a simple thug with good power. The real fighters are multi-disiplined guys who have trained and competed since childhood in some cases. Kimbo is ultimately doomed and will eventually fall straight off the map.

Teddman

ggnoobIGN said:
I've never watched UFC but will be tuning into this. Kimbo is just a freak, how could you not. No one will ever beat that thug.
He's already been beaten soundly before, by the only MMA fighter in decent shape he ever fought...

SUPREME1

Banned
riskVSreward said:
What Kimbo fanboys dont understand (aside from mma as a whole) is that hes a simple thug with good power. The real fighters are multi-disiplined guys who have trained and competed since childhood in some cases. Kimbo is ultimately doomed and will eventually fall straight off the map.

I don't think anyone honestly believes he's destined for the top.

He's way too old to just jump in with any hopes of becoming that good. He knows he's a brawler, he knows he's limited in what he does. He knows he has a VERY short amount of time to do his thing, which is to basically ride this cash train as long as it lasts...

It's entertainment. Cheap entertainment.

He knows this beats fighting on the streets for $5K in an uncontrolled environment.

This way, in a year or two, when he's milked MMA for all he can, him and his family will have made a cool MIL or so and they'll be set.

Again, it beats fighting in the streets illegally for a few lousy grand... for who knows how long.

I like Kimbo, he's actually very humble in his interviews and has acknowledged as much.

I just wish, they'd book nothing but brawlers for him so that at least it's balanced and he can do what he's reallt talented at, which is dropping bombs and just flat out punching.

LET'S GO KIMBO!

riskVSreward said:
Elite is afraid of giving Kimbo a capable fighter and totally douched the guy with the massive ear to protect Kimbos rep. Shammy needs to wrestle Kimbo down and just take him via points, which is unlikely since he hasnt won a fight in six years.

He did look tired as hell when the fight ended, while the white guy was ready to go (even though his ear was bleeding) and was even mad when they stopped the fight.

Anyone remember what he used to say in his old youtube videos, "South Beat, South Beat Records"

Baker

Banned
I am fucking on the floor from that OP.

Great job. It has been passed around the office to get more laughs.

BSsBrolly

Banned
God, I wish they would make Kimbo fight someone legit. I want people to see him get his ass kicked. That wont happen as long as they keep feeding him cans. I'm sick of people saying he's the best fighter in the world.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I'll watch for Arlovski and to see Semtex get destroyed.

Radach vs Ninja and Gina's fight should be good too.

Really the only uninteresting fight is the main event.

BSsBrolly said:
God, I wish they would make Kimbo fight someone legit. I want people to see him get his ass kicked. That wont happen as long as they keep feeding him cans. I'm sick of people saying he's the best fighter in the world.

Shit man, he should get his ass kicked because some morons are uninformed?

FF_VIII

Banned
wayward archer said:
Guess we'll never know because he will never fight someone good.

Seen his YT fight vids? He's taking down people his size/weight with ease. They can't get near him.

BSsBrolly said:

Only retarded people say that. Stop hanging around retarded people.

As usual I'm rooting for Kimbo mainly because he's always respectable in his interviews and he annoys the shit out of the "hardcore" mma fan base.

BSsBrolly

Banned
Jack Random said:
Shit man, he should get his ass kicked because some morons are uninformed?

Absolutely, if he want's to fight in mma, he should fight real fighters. He shouldn't be handed gifts.

Hate to shock you, but he needs to work is way up to "real fighters" just like everyone else.

You earn the right to fight the big guys, you don't have that handed to you.

You all gotta stop hating on Kimbo, the fights are entertaining simply to see if he's gonna pull out the win or get his ass whooped. Kimbo has always been very respectful of MMA, he even stated on ESPN that "BJ Penn would probably whoop my ass" It's the truth and he knows it, he's not hyping himself as the greatest, it's just how the man eats.

yacobod

Banned
Jack Random said:
Hate to shock you, but he needs to work is way up to "real fighters" just like everyone else.

ya kinda like brock lesnar fighting frank mir and randy couture respectively in his 2nd and 3rd mma fights

yacobod said:
ya kinda like brock lesnar fighting frank mir and randy couture respectively in his 2nd and 3rd mma fights

and that's a shit move by the UFC, Brock didn't earn a title shot, not even close

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Stoney Mason said:
As usual I'm rooting for Kimbo mainly because he's always respectable in his interviews and he annoys the shit out of the "hardcore" mma fan base.

Pretty much. He's certainly more likable than King Douche Shamrock.

I have this weird feeling that Shamrock is going to win. I don't know why, since the last time i saw him fight were his 3 ass whoopings at the hands of Tito Ortiz, but just a gut feeling.

BSsBrolly

Banned
Jack Random said:

Yet he's fighting in the main event? Usually you earn the right to fight in the main event by beating legit opponents. Kimbo was just thrust into the spotlight and continues to be fed cans. I wish the main event was Arlovski vs Kimbo. That would be my fight of the year.

Stoney Mason said:
And the hardcore contingent was all whining about that too.

Whining?

He's had two fights in UFC and is 2-1 (1 fight outside UFC). You tell me how that's "earning a title shot"

Jack Random said:
Whining?

He's had two fights in UFC and is 2-1 (1 fight outside UFC). You tell me how that's "earning a title shot"

My point was that people bitch about bringing him along too fast. People bitch about bringing Kimbo along too slow.

Whatever. It will all work itself out in the end. People pay for who they want to see. They currently want to see Kimbo and Brock. The organizations are under no pressure themselves other than to make money and put asses in the seats and eyes balls on the TV. In his 4th MMA fight Kimbo still doesn't need to be fighting bad-asses (or what passes for bad asses in Elite XC) as much as that infuriates the hardcore crowd.

Brock Lesnar is much more of a physical athlete than Kimbo. Kimbo is a big street guy who get's winded after running down the block. He's also 34 years old.

Brock Lesnar also completely destroyed Frank Mir, who got lucky by getting a submission on him. Brock is for real.

mrbagdt

Stoney Mason said:
My point was that people bitch about bringing him along too fast. People bitch about bringing Kimbo along too slow.

Whatever. It will all work itself out in the end. People pay for who they want to see. They currently want to see Kimbo and Brock. The organizations are under no pressure themselves other than to make money and put asses in the seats and eyes balls on the TV. In his 4th MMA fight Kimbo still doesn't need to be fighting bad-asses (or what passes for bad asses in Elite XC) as much as that infuriates the hardcore crowd.

i guess the only thing that 'infuriates' me about the entire situation is that it is the main event of the evening. but that is more of an annoyance than anything else. elitexc has got to get numbers for this event on TV and they have to show they are viable, because all they have done so far is show they know how to lose money. if elitexc is EVER going to go into some sort of ppv market, they are going to have to do a lot better than this, and i just dont see it happening anytime soon. there are to many retards running that place and to many inexperienced goombas
Jared Shaw
to ever get it off the ground. this is just free mma and the fact that i dont have to buy an affliction ppv to see AA is fine by me.

ToxicAdam

Shamrock is looking for money and I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a dive for some extra money on the side. There would never be any way to prove it, but it wouldn't surprise me.

ToxicAdam said:
Shamrock is looking for money and I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a dive for some extra money on the side. There would never be any way to prove it, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I have similar fears about the Randy/Brock fight (Randy's old. trying to get out of his contract, etc).

mrbagdt

Jack Random said:
I have similar fears about the Randy/Brock fight (Randy's old. trying to get out of his contract, etc).
randy is to much of a draw for this to happen and has way more to much to gain. if ken wins, it will not change his status that much- i dont think he will fight in elitexc again after this fight regardless of what happens.

Jack Random said:
He's not trying to get out. He signed back up with a new contract because after Brock, UFC will do what they can to give him Fedor. He has a serious motivation to win so he can go into the Fedor fight with a winning record and build the hype.

Boogie

Trax416 said:

Shamrock will toss the fight, much like Bo did. (and he has done in the past)

Outside of that pathetic excuse for a fight, the cards looks pretty good. Looking forward to seeing my man Shields dominate.

What the fuck are you doing posting in a GAF MMA thread? Didn't you say you wouldn't post anymore? GTFO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom