• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EliteXC Heat: Kimbo V Shamrock, and two other heavyweights not in the main event....

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

*wishes that Shamrock would bust out the Ankle Lock, just for the lulz*

kenshamrock2.jpg

harSon

Banned
yacobod said:
ya kinda like brock lesnar fighting frank mir and randy couture respectively in his 2nd and 3rd mma fights

Do we have to do this again? Brock Lesnar has prior experience that is applicable to the sport of MMA. He's had years of professional athletic training through amateur wrestling, the WWE, and the NFL. Kimbo Slice played High School football and did street fighting, they're not fucking comparable.

Meier

I swear every time a new one comes up I see a Yahoo story about how Kimbo is fighting to save it from being canceled.

smurfx

get some go again
here are my picks...

kimbo (will knock out shamrock because shamrock will stand up and trade shots)
arlovski (he will easily beat nelson)
shields
rua ( go ninja!)
carano

unreon

mrbagdt said:
Kimbo brings in a big beard and cool teeth. Each of his opponents have been on losing streaks, starting with a 4 fight losing streak, a 3 fight losing streak, a 2 fight losing streak and now the ante is really being upped with his opponent coming in with a 5 fight losing streak. The level of competition in this main event is pretty incredible.
Amazing :lol :lol :lol :lol

Pimpwerx

Why so much Kimbo hate? He's nowhere near the best, and is just a converted brawler, but he is humble and respectful of the opportunity he has to make it legitimately in this sport. The guy tries hard for the fans and has totally reversed his knuckleheaded image into that of a guy trying to do the best with what he's got. You know, we applaud one silver spooner who's a complete dick (Lesnar) and diss Kimbo, other who's actually a nice guy. I'm pulling for Kimbo. Shamrock is a sham anyway. Mr. Slice deserves to pull in a few paychecks before he's exposed/forced to hang it up. He's an old guy, and deserves more than just beating people up in backyards and basements.

Oh yeah, the one time he faced an MMA guy, he got beat, but he was also completely out of his league. He's much more prepared to face an MMA fighter now than he was then. I'm not sure that brawl would go quite the same way anymore. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

affableamerican said:
BSBrolly, who is Chuck pounding on in your avatar?

Also, amusing OP and Franklin gif!
Overeem. That Pride event was the first MMA event I ever watched since like UFC1 or 2. Overeem is like Kendall Grove. Lots of length that should make him freakishly good, but just so damn overrated. Once he missed the guillotine that fight, it was over. Chuck destroyed him. Overeem probably didn't remember much of what happened after that crazy lady introduced him to the ring. :lol PEACE.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Pimpwerx said:
Why so much Kimbo hate?
i think it's more elitexc hate. they're trying to make him out to be the best ever, while everyone here knows that's nowhere near true, the casual fans out there eat that shit up, which pisses everyone else off.

iddqd

TheWolf said:
gina%20towel%202.gif

Gina has some monster tits. no wonder it's tough making weight.

wow!

looking forward to the fights, i understand the hate for the card and i get the fact that this is more of a WWF thing than say the BJ - GSP fight.. but its alright to go for entertainment sometimes!

Pimpwerx

sefskillz said:
i think it's more elitexc hate. they're trying to make him out to be the best ever, while everyone here knows that's nowhere near true, the casual fans out there eat that shit up, which pisses everyone else off.
I can't lie. I'm 305 'til I die, so there's always the homer heat on my part. :D PEACE.

vpance

Damn, those tittays must be like 4 lbs each.

I've rooted for Shamrock to win before, but he knows his role and basically admitted to such so he will lose...

fistfulofmetal said:
Mother fucker. Time Warner dropped CBS because of they wanted to start charging us for it....
:\
Huh? You dont have a local channel? Where do you live that CBS isnt local?

I'll be watching this tonight... to see the lovely goddess known as Gina Carano in HD.

Solaros

fistfulofmetal said:
Mother fucker. Time Warner dropped CBS because of they wanted to start charging us for it....

We are still in negotiations with them, but it doesn't really look promising.

The demands they are wanting are totally reasonable, but my upper management doesn't see it that way.

Meier

fistfulofmetal said:
How is that even possible?

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Time Warner Cable Inc said on Friday it lost the right to carry some broadcast channels on its cable systems in 13 U.S. cities after it failed to reach an agreement with broadcaster LIN TV Corp.

Some 1.5 million subscribers in cities like Buffalo, New York; Columbus, Ohio; and Green Bay, Wisconsin, will not receive free-to-air broadcast local affiliate stations of General Electric Co's NBC affiliate, News Corp's Fox and CBS Corp's namesake network after Time Warner Cable's agreement with LIN TV ended Thursday.
http://www.reuters.com/article/industryNews/idUSTRE4927MB20081003

Weird...

Pimpwerx said:
Why so much Kimbo hate? He's nowhere near the best, and is just a converted brawler, but he is humble and respectful of the opportunity he has to make it legitimately in this sport. The guy tries hard for the fans and has totally reversed his knuckleheaded image into that of a guy trying to do the best with what he's got. You know, we applaud one silver spooner who's a complete dick (Lesnar) and diss Kimbo, other who's actually a nice guy. I'm pulling for Kimbo. Shamrock is a sham anyway. Mr. Slice deserves to pull in a few paychecks before he's exposed/forced to hang it up. He's an old guy, and deserves more than just beating people up in backyards and basements.

Oh yeah, the one time he faced an MMA guy, he got beat, but he was also completely out of his league. He's much more prepared to face an MMA fighter now than he was then. I'm not sure that brawl would go quite the same way anymore. PEACE.

Who in the fuck on here has been applauding Lesnar? His advancement has been as big of a joke as Kimbo's.

Why does Kimbo "deserve" anything? He hasn't faced anyone of merit; they through him against washed-up fighters and we're supposed to give him props for kicking the cans? I'll stick to respecting the fighters that actually earned their place in the sport instead of those who rode in on a wave of publicity that pushed them much farther than they actually deserved to go. Being a nice guy isn't enough.

WickedAngel said:
Who in the fuck on here has been applauding Lesnar? His advancement has been as big of a joke as Kimbo's.

Why does Kimbo "deserve" anything? He hasn't faced anyone of merit; they through him against washed-up fighters and we're supposed to give him props for kicking the cans? I'll stick to respecting the fighters that actually earned their place in the sport instead of those who rode in on a wave of publicity that pushed them much farther than they actually deserved to go. Being a nice guy isn't enough.

James Thompson actually beat Kimbo last time.

... I'm in love with Gina Carano. I hope Kelly doesn't "fuck her shit up" like she said she would.

NinjaCodah said:
James Thompson actually beat Kimbo last time.

... I'm in love with Gina Carano. I hope Kelly doesn't "fuck her shit up" like she said she would.

That only compounds the point. Why does this man deserve admiration and support?

Kimbo puts people in seats and he is the guy the public wants to see. When you are putting fights on CBS this matters. Its the same reason Mike Tyson was still one of the biggest PPV draws in boxing despite the fact that he was way over the hill and fighting no name bums. No one is asking you to admire or support the guy, Elite and CBS are just asking you to watch him, which most of you probably will, proving them right.

WickedAngel said:
That only compounds the point. Why does this man deserve admiration and support?

Honestly, he doesn't. I've never seen someone protected as much as Kimbo is.

He's fought nothing but meat sacks, Shamrock at this stage isn't much different. Ken's a relic, but I wouldn't be surprised if he schooled Kimbo.

Boogie

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2008/10/4/628309/shamrock-injured-tonight-s

Shamrock out of the fight.

how in the FLYING FUCK do you get yourself injured less than 24 hours before your fight?

A cut above your eye? You're fucking SPARRING hard enough to get a cut less than 24 hours before your fight?

What the fuck is wrong with you Shamrock? Are you retarded or something?

*thinks back to season 3 of TUF*

Oh, that's right, I forgot. Of course you're retarded.

MrOctober

Banned
Boogie said:
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2008/10/4/628309/shamrock-injured-tonight-s

Shamrock out of the fight.

how in the FLYING FUCK do you get yourself injured less than 24 hours before your fight?

A cut above your eye? You're fucking SPARRING hard enough to get a cut less than 24 hours before your fight?

What the fuck is wrong with you Shamrock? Are you retarded or something?

*thinks back to season 3 of TUF*

Oh, that's right, I forgot. Of course you're retarded.

Holy shit.

Asbel

:lol :lol :lol

Props to MMARated:
MMARated.com has learned that Ken Shamrock sustained a cut above his eye in the last 24 hours while training and WILL NOT be fighting in tonight's main event bout against Kimbo Slice.

EliteXC officials are scrambling to find a last minute replacement for Shamrock. We have heard that Frank Shamrock - who is calling the fight for CBS - offered to step in at the last minute but is ultimately not fighting. EliteXC has offered Slice Seth Petruzelli (pictured right) - who was scheduled to fight Aaron Rosa tonight. As of right now, Kimbo has yet to officially accept the fight.

Update via MMARated:
We are now hearing that EliteXC officials may have found a doctor who may clear Shamrock tonight after all. EliteXC may be on the verge of dodging a bullet of epic proportions.

Seth if good enough to expose him. This is really bad for Kimbo. Like him having to do ground work bad.

NinjaCodah said:
Wow, I hope they find someone to replace Ken.

Now imagine Kimbo getting his ass kicked by a replacement!
Kimbo has to accept any replacement fight, and I don't think he will accept anyone he is not confident he can beat.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
"Here's Ken, I mean Frank Shamrock"

oh man this could be hilarious. I remember their last prime time event ran 30+ minutes over. Hope they can manage their time better this show.

dem

Ken Shamrock is such a gong show.

Kimbo better hope he aint fighting Frank Shamrock.. lol

Hell.. If the fight ends up being Petruzelli vs Kimbo im picking Seth...

Asbel

Update via Dave Meltzer:
As of 7 p.m. Eastern time it looks like Shamrock has been cleared and the main event is back on. If anything changes,we will post a new update.

:( fallout hilarity over. back to your regularly schedule beating.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Its all a part of EliteXc's script. Its gives Kimbo an out. If he starts to lose and Shammy's cut bleeds at all the fight gets stopped and they pretend like Shamrock was aout to bleed to death.

TheWolf said:
gina%20towel%202.gif

Gina has some monster tits. no wonder it's tough making weight.

From MMARated's write up on the weigh-ins:
http://mmarated.com/blogs/blog/20081003/friday_afternoon_notes__weigh_in_drama__tito_ortiz_out_until_spring_2009__and_more-827.html

* Meanwhile, the weigh-in everyone was waiting for had it's fair share of drama too as Gina Carano needed three tries to tip the scale at the 141-pound limit. There's no excuse for failing to make weight and Carano must figure this problem out, but, honestly, the whole scene was a little creepy. I mean, just watching an embarrassed Carano strip while the fan's in attendance whistled at her was a strange. Even stranger was the fact that her dad was one of the people holding up the towel as she weighed in naked (at least I think she was). Thankfully, in the end, she made weight but, sheesh, are we really going to have to go through this every time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom