• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk buys Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the internet as a whole needs to be a free speech zone, nor do I want the government more involved in it than they need to be. If that makes me woke, then I guess I'm woke.
I agree with you that the government absolutely shouldn't be involved.

The problem is that Twitter does seem to have a large influence over culture and politics. If it was a purely social, private entity then I 100% agree with you that we shouldn't care about how "free" the speech is. But when you have a platform used by the government to reach its citizens... things change a bit.

Last edited:
I don't think the internet as a whole needs to be a free speech zone, nor do I want the government more involved in it than they need to be. If that makes me woke, then I guess I'm woke.
I don’t think it needs to be, but I’ll put it this way. Twitter has outsized importance in public conversation and opinion. Twitter is also enforcing values that I completely disagree with. So any potential changes to the way Twitter does business are welcomed by me personally. I generally do support free speech for public conversations, and I would certainly prefer Twitter move towards a more free speech model over their current enforcement system.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There's the odd mistake as with any system and the human element. Nothing drastic has happened since it's not a sole source of information.
Cracking Up Lol GIF

Zeroing

Banned
news comes quickly if inaccurately.
Well that’s a problem from the platform but alas Bill Clinton passed a 1990s law starting that the internet holders and their platforms are not accounted for whatever happens there. The internet evolved, the bill did not, it was manipulated and even used as a weapon!

Also people need to realize that free speech doesn’t mean you can say whatever you want! Actions has consequences so does words who incite. Not saying everyone should be “policial correct” or polite to each other but all this “ I can say whatever I want” makes people go to opposite extremes.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I agree with you that the government absolutely shouldn't be involved.

The problem is that Twitter does seem to have a large influence over culture and politics. If it was a purely social, private entity then I 100% agree with you that we shouldn't care about how "free" the speech is. But when you have a platform used by the government to reach its citizens... things change a bit.
The government is choosing to use Twitter. Twitter only has as much social influence as we allow them to. Stop using Twitter, stop clicking on Twitter links. Don't reward them for behavior you don't like.

I don’t think it needs to be, but I’ll put it this way. Twitter has outsized importance in public conversation and opinion. Twitter is also enforcing values that I completely disagree with. So any potential changes to the way Twitter does business are welcomed by me personally. I generally do support free speech for public conversations, and I would certainly prefer Twitter move towards a more free speech model over their current enforcement system.
I don't want companies to be forced to become arbiters of rights guaranteed to me by the constitution. The 1st amendment only guarantees me that the government shall not pass laws infringing on those rights, it says nothing of businesses. If we to want mandate companies to uphold those causes, then we need new amendments.

If a company wants to only allow certain speech, certain topics, certain viewpoints then that is their right. Just as it is mine. Ending that for business is a short step away from ending it for me and everyone else.

Last edited:

benno

This isn't really about a single company. It's the start of the backlash against big tech who have way too much power over the narrative with their "blue check marks", "fact checkers" and manipulated search results.

Anyone who thinks this is a bad thing needs to remember what a hell-hole this place was few years back...

Last edited:
The government is choosing to use Twitter. Twitter only has as much social influence as we allow them to. Stop using Twitter, stop clicking on Twitter links. Don't reward them for behavior you don't like.

I don't want companies to be forced to become arbiters of rights guaranteed to me by the constitution. The 1st amendment only guarantees me that the government shall not pass laws infringing on those rights, it says nothing of businesses. If we to want mandate companies to uphold those causes, then we need new amendments.

If a company wants to only allow certain speech, certain topics, certain viewpoints then that is their right. Just as it is mine. Ending that for business is a short step away from ending it for me and everyone else.
I’m not arguing any government action here. I’m arguing that if Elon Musk wants to assert his considerable influence in a way that I agree with, I am happy about it.

I think that companies should actively support free speech. I don’t think they should be forced to. But if market forces, or in this case one market mover, are able to move an influential corporation in a way that I support, why shouldn’t I applaud that?

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I’m not arguing any government action here. I’m arguing that if Elon Musk wants to assert his considerable influence in a way that I agree with, I am happy about it.

I think that companies should actively support free speech. I don’t think they should be forced to. But if market forces, or in this case one market mover, are able to move an influential corporation in a way that I support, why shouldn’t I applaud that?
The problem with not invoking the government is that 'free speech' exists only from the hand of government. Whether I want to allow certain speech in my home, for example, is not a violation of anyone's 'free speech'. Likewise, I can't go into a Wal-Mart and start screaming obscenities. Wal-Mart can kick me out and my 'free speech' has not be violated. Same goes for Twitter, Facebook, NeoGaf, etc.

If a company wants to choose to prioritize free speech, I have no issues. 4Chan exists as an example.

I don't think any company should be required to prioritize free speech either legislatively or through social pressure.

Buying stock to become a shareholder of a company to change policies is viable, though personally I think it's dumb when you're talking about 'free speech' for the reasons above. I'd rather see one of the many Twitter competitors take off. I'd rather see Musk keep his focus on topics that actually matter and less on Twitter. In fact, him becoming a shareholder only serves to further legitimize Twitter. He's making the issue bigger by trying to solve it, essentially.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Buying a huge chunk of Twitter, becoming the largest single shareholder, is a massive power move. If they wanted to ban him, now I'm pretty sure they won't be able to.

Ionian

Maiden Voyage Maiden Voyage Does have a perfectly reasonable response by saying it's not free speech in fairness when the company is private and pointing out that it is used by governments says more about who they target (the userbase) then anything.

Elon is laughing all the way to the bank, he has also used his following to preach some incredibly dumb shit to on Twitter. Pump and dump stock using it etc. He got in trouble doing that and was suspended from the Telsa board for doing it;

He has enough money to do this shit and get away with it. Doesn't make it right, his own Tweets that have been posted can rise a share price. It's a power move.

He knows what he's doing but saying he's for free speech when he only means for him is kinda silly. Not saying I disagree with your post but that's a utopian world-view. He has used Twitter to his own advantage too many times. He has his fans, I get it. I think he's just a smart-rich lunatic but I rarely look at Twitter unless someone posts a link.

Hard to hate the but with that much power, well ... he's made it obvious his intentions. He's not doing it for humanity.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Maiden Voyage Maiden Voyage Does have a perfectly reasonable response by saying it's not free speech in fairness when the company is private and pointing out that it is used by governments says more about who they target (the userbase) then anything.

Elon is laughing all the way to the bank, he has also used his following to preach some incredibly dumb shit to on Twitter. Pump and dump stock using it etc. He got in trouble doing that and was suspended from the Telsa board for doing it;

He has enough money to do this shit and get away with it. Doesn't make it right, his own Tweets that have been posted can rise a share price. It's a power move.

He knows what he's doing but saying he's for free speech when he only means for him is kinda silly. Not saying I disagree with your post but that's a utopian world-view. He has used Twitter to his own advantage too many times. He has his fans, I get it. I think he's just a smart-rich lunatic but I rarely look at Twitter unless someone posts a link.

Hard to hate the but with that much power, well ... he's made it obvious his intentions. He's not doing it for humanity.
I'd love to get to the point where we can discuss these topics again without having to call everyone we disagree with woke or a nazi. Differing opinions are a major part of why the US such a great place. It's shame we no longer tolerate even the slightest differences of opinion, no matter the topic.

zeorhymer

Buying stock to become a shareholder of a company to change policies is viable, though personally I think it's dumb when you're talking about 'free speech' for the reasons above.
Employees hijacking the company is equally as dumb. Just look at the employees of Disney, Netflix, Spotify, etc using the company as their platform.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Employees hijacking the company is equally as dumb. Just look at the employees of Disney, Netflix, Spotify, etc using the company as their platform.
I think it's less the employees and more the customer base, tbh. Boycotting used to be more challenging to get the voice out there. With social media any idiot can present only the points that support their case and be echoed. We give entirely too much weight to the engagement metrics on social media, especially as it's been shown that those metrics can be easily manipulated.

IE: stop giving Twitter attention, stop talking about, stop using it, and eventually it will die out.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
The government has nothing to do with this story.

Twitter serves as a public square more than anywhere else. Whether it is publicly owned or not is irrelevant. I’m not happy about it, but unless you can provide a better example, I think you don’t really have an argument.
More than anywhere else? It's not even the second largest social media website. Hell it isn't even the third most popular. Facebook, Instagram, and Reddit all have more daily activity and traffic than Twitter does. Calling it "the public square" is ridiculous. It's a private platform that is entitled to impose it's own ToS. If you want to use it then just follow the rules. If you break them you get suspended or banned. That's not a free speech issue. Also the narrative that Twitter only allows one viewpoint or bans everyone of a certain political opinion is also nonsense.

I also know that Musk is smart enough to know this. So I assume he has an angle here somewhere. The price of the stock is obviously going to go up now after his purchase. Might just be a quick flip for him.

Sybrix

Twitter is not an ancient Greek forum where the great minds gathered and discussed philosophy, science and arts.

No idea why people see any value on twitter at all.

The only reason its worth what its worth is because 100s of Millions of people use it and can have adverts aimed at them. Thats it.

Anyone who thinks its a genuine place for debate and free thinking is seriously deluded.

Star-Lord

IE: stop giving Twitter attention, stop talking about, stop using it, and eventually it will die out.
That’s a nice idea in theory, but we know it won’t work in practice. Let’s look at how many times people have said they’ll boycott Facebook because of Zuckerberg. Nearly two decades since launch, and Facebook - sorry, Meta - is still going strong. The same thing happens with Twitter. Toxic social media is here to stay.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
More than anywhere else? It's not even the second largest social media website. Hell it isn't even the third most popular. Facebook, Instagram, and Reddit all have more daily activity and traffic than Twitter does. Calling it "the public square" is ridiculous. It's a private platform that is entitled to impose it's own ToS. If you want to use it then just follow the rules. If you break them you get suspended or banned. That's not a free speech issue. Also the narrative that Twitter only allows one viewpoint or bans everyone of a certain political opinion is also nonsense.

I also know that Musk is smart enough to know this. So I assume he has an angle here somewhere. The price of the stock is obviously going to go up now after his purchase. Might just be a quick flip for him.
The format of Twitter makes it more of a public square than a site like Instagram or Reddit. Reddit is composed of a bunch of subcommunities, and IG is not for discussion but posting photos. Regardless, your point would be all well and good if they enforced rules evenly. They do not. You can get suspended for saying a man is not a woman, but you can make death threats on there and organize violence with impunity depending on your leanings.

Sybrix

Toxic social media is here to stay.

Sadly your right.

Its human nature.

Why do you.. yes.. i mean you reading this right now.. slow down to see the aftermath of a car crash?

Its the same reason why Twitter will always exist.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

The format of Twitter makes it more of a public square than a site like Instagram or Reddit. Reddit is composed of a bunch of subcommunities, and IG is not for discussion but posting photos. Regardless, your point would be all well and good if they enforced rules evenly. They do not. You can get suspended for saying a man is not a woman, but you can make death threats on there and organize violence with impunity depending on your leanings.
I would take that talking point more seriously if I didn't have first hand experience reporting posts like that and getting real time responses from Twitter when they act on my reports. I've seen posts get removed and accounts suspended for the behavior that you're talking about. The fact that some stuff slips through the cracks is not proof of a rigged system especially considering that I have seen many of the hateful posts that you're talking about insulting transgender people and railing against lgbtq rights stay up and go unpunished. I could post specific examples of this from major pundits and politicians in recent weeks, but I'm afraid that would get a ban because it would be coming from political sources.

Tldr:Twitter is just awful and is not properly moderated in general. Getting banned from Twitter for breaking their terms of service is not an attack on your free speech.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
That’s a nice idea in theory, but we know it won’t work in practice. Let’s look at how many times people have said they’ll boycott Facebook because of Zuckerberg. Nearly two decades since launch, and Facebook - sorry, Meta - is still going strong. The same thing happens with Twitter. Toxic social media is here to stay.
Yes, it is unfortunate that people cannot divorce from social media. It's basically a drug addiction. I could see social media becoming like the tobacco industry eventually as we learn more about the harm it does to society. Until that day, at the very least, you won't catch me on any social media accounts.

HoodWinked

Thinking Twitter will go away if you stop using it is disconnected from reality.

Even if something eventually replaces it the same shitty policies will be pushed by weirdo fringe.

All of these social media platform founders were of the free speech mindset on their onset YouTube, reddit, even Twitter, and, Facebook. Only insidiously through infiltration through bad actors that things shifted into the shitty state they are currently.

heck if you see the "other" thread people getting angry about this then you know this is probably a good thing.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I would take that talking point more seriously if I didn't have first hand experience reporting posts like that and getting real time responses from Twitter when they act on my reports. I've seen posts get removed and accounts suspended for the behavior that you're talking about. The fact that some stuff slips through the cracks is not proof of a rigged system especially considering that I have seen many of the hateful posts that you're talking about insulting transgender people and railing against lgbtq rights stay up and go unpunished. I could post specific examples of this from major pundits and politicians in recent weeks, but I'm afraid that would get a ban because it would be coming from political sources.

Tldr:Twitter is just awful and is not properly moderated in general. Getting banned from Twitter for breaking their terms of service is not an attack on your free speech.
I think if people make a big enough stink then Twitter will suspend anybody. But I've seen smaller accounts being banned for really small things that most people would not find offensive. Every time I login to that cesspool I see someone calling for the murdering of "TERFs."

I don't think it's to the level where they will only suspend one side, but I do think there's very strong reason to believe they will be more favorable for one set of people opposed to another.

Also, I don't think it's a question of free speech. Put that aside. That term only goes so far, otherwise you could threaten people on there, which should obviously not be allowed. I think what people have an issue with is Twitter deciding what constitutes hate or misinformation. Not the issue of free speech in itself. If Twitter only banned people who were vulgar, threatening, etc, then I don't think you'd get a lot of complaints. If Twitter bans someone for making a fat joke, then it becomes subjective, not objective, on if that's hateful or not. Or getting banned last year for even mentioning the lab leak hypothesis. Things like that

Ionian

Remember the great exodus and the KB warriors posting on Twitter about it?

They'd be lucky to get 2 likes, always the same people as well.

They all went into hiding after other sites posted screenshots (from accounts they publicly posted) when their posts were mocked by nearly everywhere online and they had their feelings hurt. Deleted their Twitters and went into witness protection once they started attacking each other. Each other, hahaha.

But not before they did a last post decrying the imaginary bullying! (Barely anyone replied to them, just laughed about it and their MALE FRAGILITY). Classic times, miss that thread. They all deleted their accounts once they saw nobody was laughing with them. Brilliant stuff.

And that's one use-case (probably one of a really minor amount) that Twitter was hilarious.

Nobody_Important

I think if people make a big enough stink then Twitter will suspend anybody. But I've seen smaller accounts being banned for really small things that most people would not find offensive. Every time I login to that cesspool I see someone calling for the murdering of "TERFs."

I don't think it's to the level where they will only suspend one side, but I do think there's very strong reason to believe they will be more favorable for one set of people opposed to another.

Also, I don't think it's a question of free speech. Put that aside. That term only goes so far, otherwise you could threaten people on there, which should obviously not be allowed. I think what people have an issue with is Twitter deciding what constitutes hate or misinformation. Not the issue of free speech in itself. If Twitter only banned people who were vulgar, threatening, etc, then I don't think you'd get a lot of complaints. If Twitter bans someone for making a fat joke, then it becomes subjective, not objective, on if that's hateful or not. Or getting banned last year for even mentioning the lab leak hypothesis. Things like that
I think we mostly agree. Because I know Twitter is poorly moderated so we definitely agree on that. I think we just disagree on the specifics.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I think we mostly agree. Because I know Twitter is poorly moderated so we definitely agree on that. I think we just disagree on the specifics.
I think platforms should be able to enforce their own rules. At the same time, when a rule is vague like “no hate speech” and making a joke of some sort counts as “hate speech” or saying something like “men can’t get pregnant” is considered hate, well then the question becomes what is hate and what isn’t. At that points it’s just whatever Twitter considers hate, or maybe not even Twitter but some rogue staffer who was butt hurt by a certain post.

Then the issue becomes well Twitter can’t create a definitive list on every single thing in the world that constitutes hate. It’s going to be a case by case basis. And with that, you’re going to get major inconsistencies, and I think that’s why people believe that outside of threats and stuff, people should be allowed to say what they want. Because then you have a platform where potentially, you can get kicked off for making a fat joke because that counts as hate, but saying TERFs should die doesn’t count as hate. I think you either need a very specific defined list of what is a bannable offense and if they can’t do that, then allow more freedom in what you can post.

As an aside, I saw a moderately sized public figure the other day was banned from Patreon for something that they posted on Twitter. They didn’t even post it on Patreon. And in the email they sent to this person, it said “we do not allow hate speech or discrimination against marginalized groups.” Indirectly implying that they may allow it for groups they don’t deem marginalized. And I think that’s how a lot of tech elites feel anyway. That rules should be unevenly enforced based on your identity. And in that case, I support more open rules, because if you can’t enforce rules evenly then what’s even the point.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Also on a side note this news has exposed just how dumb some people are and are displaying that they have no idea how Twitter (or any other business) works. I have seen I don't even know how many people asking Musk to unban certain people and ban others.

As if Musk is now the king of Twitter lol

Xdrive05

I would like to see a culture of free speech in privately owned social spaces, like this. There used to at least be lip service toward such a culture in recent times past. The early internet at least tried to present such an ethos in most places. Never mind the arguments about how private are these companies exactly, but whatevs.

If some rich dude wants to buy his way into changing the culture of the information exchange platform that is used by almost all the taste makers, then so be it. That's the flipside to the progressive's newfound admiration for private property and corporate censorship. Your enemies can retake that power from you by your own admission.

"When I am weaker than you I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles"- Frank Herbert

Rinse and repeat.

zeorhymer

Keep putting on a blazing light on Twatter. The more people make noise, the more people mock and shame them about their nilly willy censorship, hopefully there'll be enough pressure on the company just to be a company and enforce the rules evenly.

HoodWinked

Keep putting on a blazing light on Twatter. The more people make noise, the more people mock and shame them about their nilly willy censorship, hopefully there'll be enough pressure on the company just to be a company and enforce the rules evenly.

its so comical how the same people that used to be all about free speech turned into corporate shills espousing how it's a private business they can do whatever they want. honestly the best case scenario is that those same people that advocate for censorship would be banned by the same standard they hold others on the opposite ideological spectrum that way they can magically remember why we should all collectively want freedom of speech and not because the ones in charge happen to be ideologically aligned.

Cyberpunkd

TIL Twitter market cap is a measly 40bln USD. For the record this is how it compares to others:

Apple 2.91 trillion = 2910bln
Microsoft = 2.36 trillion
Meta = 636bln
Amazon = 1.71 trillion

cormack12

Gold Member
I just imagine him getting home, opening twitter and reading some tweets and declaring I own 10% of thus. Funking amazing.

If it results in something I consider positive, I don’t really care about his motives or personal benefit. Of course, that remains to be seen. It may be a cynical pump and dump for him, in which case I will be mildly disappointed. But if it turns the company into less of an ideologically possessed nightmare, whether Musk makes money in the process is irrelevant to me.

I consider the move hopeful more than a confirmation of anything. But hopeful is better than where things stood before. I’m not a Musk cultist who thinks he’s trying to save humanity. But I do think his values here are more aligned with my own than anyone else who has influence at Twitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom