• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk Claims U.S. Approval for World’s Longest Tunnel (hyperloop stuff)

Uh, sure.

The primary reason why he can quote such a cheap rate to build this thing is because he hasn't factored in the number top reasons why other forms of mass intercity transit cost the way they do: lawsuits, property acquisitions and local acquiescence.

Factor those in and the hyperloop is just as expensive, if not more so, than a high speed rail corridor. But with unproven technology with an unproven safety record with way less capacity. Elon is smart, but mass transit isn't his forte.

KHarvey16

Of all the challenges for something like this, and there are many, I think securing a small surface area to put a station entrance might be one of the most trivial.

Of all the challenges for something like this, and there are many, I think securing a small surface area to put a station entrance might be one of the most trivial.

The stations will not be small, especially if it's a commuter station in a major city. You need space for a concourse, food and beverages, bathrooms, space for luggage, places to sit, etc. Again, we already proven technology and solutions for these kinds of things and these are what people want/use/need when using a commuter station. Unless everything will be done by elevators, all of these will be done horizontally underground which means permits, utility relocations which are all unavoidable aspects of tunneling in a major city. It's nothing new.

And the most expensive parts of the California high speed rail is the parts within the city of SF and LA.

SpecX

This would be awesome if they can actually do this, but I doubt it will be built and ready to use in my lifetime :(

KHarvey16

The stations will not be small, especially if it's a commuter station in a major city. You need space for a concourse, food and beverages, bathrooms, space for luggage, places to sit, etc. Again, we already proven technology and solutions for these kinds of things and these are what people want/use/need when using a commuter station. It's nothing new.

And the most expensive parts of the California high speed rail is the parts within the city of SF and LA.

Major hubs can be large, sure. I still don't see that as being a large challenge relative to the other things that need to happen. Other stations can be much smaller. I'm sure a decent portion of any of these stations will be deep underground too.

EDIT

I don't think the plan is to have tunnels close to anything up top.

Tacitus_

Have they even nailed down how it'll work? I haven't been following this closely and last I remember they were still designing the vehicles.

KSweeley

Could we see this in our lifetime? http://northeastmaglev.com/northeast-corridor

tnem_map.png

PROPOSED SCMAGLEV ROUTE ALONG THE NORTHEAST CORRIDOR

barber

Has the hyperloop been tested for highspeeds and long distances yet? Would be kind of stupid creating an infrastructure before being sure the "train" would be able to utilize it.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
This does not seem likely to actually happen in our current timeline.

Bolivar687

Banned
While I like calling a business that digs tunnels The Boring Company, it's also exactly what a conspicuous billionaire villain would call his secret project to subjugate the federal government and our economic centers.

Also roflmao @ "verbal approval" from "the government" for a public works project on this scale.

Maedre

Banned
The thing is. Musk did things that were practically impossible for a long time. Reusable rockets And a private space company plus a successful electric car company, PayPal...

Yeah his claims are very „unrealistic“ but so were his former claims. I wouldn’t dismiss the boring company and musk’s visions.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The thing is. Musk did things that were practically impossible for a long time. Reusable rockets And a private space company plus a successful electric car company, PayPal...

Yeah his claims are very „unrealistic“ but so were his former claims. I wouldn’t dismiss the boring company and musk’s visions.

Its more like people are dismissing his verbal agreement.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Down to earth's core basically.

I'm pretty sure this isn't true.

I think if you aren't talking about mining rights, property extends as far down as you want. That said, tunneling deep enough as to be imperceptible to land owners means they could probably just be paid some amount and be fine with it. It's not like the company would have to buy up property for the entire route. Maybe anyway. Basing this assumption on nothing.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Yeah, boring is a huge industry with a lot of money and R&D behind it. You will not go in there and start boring fives times faster than anyone else in the world. If he really said it like that then he should be labeled a scam artist tbh.

He mentioned why he thinks it is technically possible in his ted talk. Creating a machine that can both bore and reinforce simultaneously might be an engineering challenge but it doesn't sound like something that is a technical impossibility for people to develop. At the very least it shouldn't be labeled a "scam"

e: oh that post was from page 1 not 2, woopz.

By my own calculations that would be 645 km/h or almost Mach 2. How would that even work with air Drag? Damn that'd be awesome as hell though.

Edit: Nevermind. Mach 2 is 686 m/s not km/h ��

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
By my own calculations that would be 645 km/h or almost Mach 2. How would that even work with air Drag? Damn that'd be awesome as hell though.

Edit: Nevermind. Mach 2 is 686 m/s not km/h ��
You do realise that 686 m/s is 2,470 km/h, right? Haha

Watch his recent ted talk. He basically explains why he thinks he can cut down the time.

Approval wise he's probably taking a page out of his Tesla battery pitch in Australia, announcement puts pressure on politicians.

I mean, I'll check it out, but unless Elon Musk puts in a triple-fuck-ton of tunnel boring machines to dig the tunnel from a bunch of separate locations at once, all digging into one another's bored holes it'll take at least 14+ years as the poster above you has said with comparisons to the Shinkansen in Japan

Tacitus_

So no to hyperloops since they only mention that these tunnels could be adapted to run them.

He mentioned why he thinks it is technically possible in his ted talk. Creating a machine that can both bore and reinforce simultaneously might be an engineering challenge but it doesn't sound like something that is a technical impossibility for people to develop. At the very least it shouldn't be labeled a "scam"

e: oh that post was from page 1 not 2, woopz.

I think current TBMs can already do the basic reinforcing? Or at least the guys riding on it can do it.

Crispy75

Current TBMs push against the edge of the lined tunnel as they munch forward ~1m, then stop and put another ring of pre-cast concrete tunnel segments in. Then they re-attach the pushing rams and start munching again. Elon wants to somehow make this process continuous and faster. I don't know what he thinks the tunnel can be lined with that can be put up so quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW-tBPG9nu4

Maybe with much smaller lining segments, they could be installed while the rest of the rams are pushing the cutting head forward.

SaviorX

It isn't the logistics of building the Tunnel I'd even be worried about initially.

It would be the corruption behind the construction, fighting unions, and overall resistance from traditionalists'purists.

You wont even be able to build the entrance to the tunnel in NYC without it taking 17 years.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Of all the stupid ideas in the world this is among the most stupid of them all. Going by any tunnel project ever the needed tunnel would cost close to 100 billion. And that is a conservative estimate based on other tunnels. Now without even accounting for the cost it takes to actually keep that system running you would have to sell 1.1 billion tickets at $100 each to just earn what you invested. While at the same time you can fly one trip for $75 or even less with an hour of flight time, instead of 29 minutes in a tube. So there is a cheap and relatively fast way to travel the distance. How many visitors does DC have each year? 18 million something. That's all visitors. From everywhere, not just NYC. So even if you could make every one of those take two tickets to NYC and back you would look at roughly 33 years before you even start to earn a dime. Realistically it would take 50+ years. But of course that's nonsense either way because there are cheaper alternatives. And commuters between the two cities are in the 1.000s, so nothing that will generate a lot of money even if they do the trip 250 times a year (but who would pay 50.000 a year to commute from DC to NYC?).

It just makes no sense.

Metroxed

I don't know how stuff like this works in the US, but aren't you required to have environmental impact studies, studies of feasibility, etc. before you even start thinking about actually building such a thing? Even if it's just for testing purposes, I would believe that several studies would need to be performed first.

samn

If he really cared about changing transportation for the better then he would invest in bicycle infrastructure.

krang

It isn't the logistics of building the Tunnel I'd even be worried about initially.

It would be the corruption behind the construction, fighting unions, and overall resistance from traditionalists'purists.

You wont even be able to build the entrance to the tunnel in NYC without it taking 17 years.

Surely they'd just stop in Jersey rather than NYC proper.

If he really cared about changing transportation for the better then he would invest in bicycle infrastructure.
Or getting quick and easy transport from towns surrounding these large cities, so people can move further away again, while still have a fast way to get into the city. Would be good for living costs and the survival of more rural towns.

Of all the stupid ideas in the world this is among the most stupid of them all. Going by any tunnel project ever the needed tunnel would cost close to 100 billion. And that is a conservative estimate based on other tunnels. Now without even accounting for the cost it takes to actually keep that system running you would have to sell 1.1 billion tickets at $100 each to just earn what you invested. While at the same time you can fly one trip for $75 or even less with an hour of flight time, instead of 29 minutes in a tube. So there is a cheap and relatively fast way to travel the distance. How many visitors does DC have each year? 18 million something. That's all visitors. From everywhere, not just NYC. So even if you could make every one of those take two tickets to NYC and back you would look at roughly 33 years before you even start to earn a dime. Realistically it would take 50+ years. But of course that's nonsense either way because there are cheaper alternatives. And commuters between the two cities are in the 1.000s, so nothing that will generate a lot of money even if they do the trip 250 times a year (but who would pay 50.000 a year to commute from DC to NYC?).

It just makes no sense.

The Chuo Shinkansen is of similar scale and is already $50bil in a country where construction costs are much lower. Adding onto that a bunch of untested unproven technology that will likely have a bunch of restrictions on how it can be built (air-tight tunnel? extra straight lines, no curves anywhere?) plus him wanting to build way, way deep underground and 100% under not 90% and it's not hard to imagine it pushing $100bil. I imagine the safety concerns alone of a tunnel without oxygen could add a lot of cost.

Oh and did I mention the Chuo Shinkansen, using technology that exists today can do a similar distance to what he's proposing in 40 mins? Can someone explain why anyone even cares about this hyperloop crap?

krang

Or getting quick and easy transport from towns surrounding these large cities, so people can move further away again, while still have a fast way to get into the city. Would be good for living costs and the survival of more rural towns.

This is accurate. That would do far more for the economy than allowing people to move from one expensive city to another expensive city a bit faster.

Top Bottom