• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk to announce SpaceX's Mars colonization plans at IAC on Tuesday (Sept. 27)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No matter the event, the probability that the type of person who feels the need to get up and ask something will have some bizarre motive or just be generally creepy always seems to be off the charts.

TyrantII

The 67th International Astronautical Congress, to be held in Guadalajara, Mexico, from 26-30 September
2016 will welcome SpaceX founder, CEO, and Lead Designer Elon Musk.
On the second day of the IAC, during a special keynote entitled "Making Humans a Multiplanetary
Species", Musk will discuss the long-term technical challenges that need to be solved to support the
creation of a permanent, self-sustaining human presence on Mars. The technical presentation will focus
on potential architectures for colonizing the Red Planet that industry, government and the scientific
community can collaborate on in the years ahead.

Apparently this was down in Mexico?

Kinda explains the crazy Ex-pats that were asking those questions.

Next time prescreen or restrict it to the credential carrying attendees.

Maiorum

Couldn't watch the whole thing, but did he talk about whether it will be an American colony or an independent entity? Will the people going up be composed of just Americans or will it be a multinational collective?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Russia or China would probably need to do something big in space first.

Like a modern Sputnik "Oh shit, We need to get going" moment.
Russia's moon program is getting well underway.

ckohler

I do not envy the super rich like Elon Musk. Constantly hounded by people who want to either sell him something or get their brief moment of self-gratifying fame. The two other times I've seen him give a presentation like this, there was the same kind of crap questions and comments coming from the audience.

It's a shame too because unlike a lot of other wealthy entrepreneurs, he seems to actually want to have a serious dialog with average people about his ideas.

I could swear that the last time I listened to Musk speak, someone also bugged him to come check out his electric bus. I wonder if this guy just drives his bus around the country, stalking Elon Musk.

Shy

An artist's recreation of the audience wining an all expenses paid trip into to space.
86Iu5eN.jpg

Couldn't watch the whole thing, but did he talk about whether it will be an American colony or an independent entity? Will the people going up be composed of just Americans or will it be a multinational collective?
I assume if the first few "batches of humans" get there safely other governments will want to have a piece of mars cake too and will throw money at him.

jett

D-Member
I skipped around the conference, did he ever mention anything about procuring food, oxygen, water and just flat out surviving on the Martian surface?

And 100 people in that tin can. I'm not sure how that works.

Morts

I assume if the first few "batches of humans" get there safely other governments will want to have a piece of mars cake too and will throw money at him.

I wonder how long it'll take for the first Martian astronauts/settlers to resent immigrants.

Staab

I skipped around the conference, did he ever mention anything about procuring food, oxygen, water and just flat out surviving on the Martian surface?
Not really, he said he's trying to figure out how to get there and back.
The rest is pretty much "an opportunity" for someone else, I believe.

It's really pathetic that they would not have a person screening questions, I don't know how Elon manages to stay calm with these idiots...

Abounder

Banned

Non-Americans would need approval from the Secretary of State/Defense, otherwise they can't be hired due to laws about advanced rocket tech. Musk isn't happy about the red tape, and I hope it will somehow inspire voters to make an exception

Oriel

Russia's moon program is getting well underway.

Russia can barely afford to keep its cosmonauts on the ISS, let alone mount a Moon mission. The Chinese are decades away from having the financial and technical means to go to the Moon, while the Europeans are more interested in their Ariane venture to care about anything beyond LEO (much to the annoyance of ESA's Director General who advocates a Euro Moon-base).

The truth is that the days of large, government funded space programs are long gone. NASA have now outsourced ISS taxi services to the private sector (SpaceX being one provider) and only having the Space Launch System in the works for beyond LEO duties. Even then it's doubtful it'll do all that much given how bloody expensive it is at $2 billion per launch, and the fact it's an entirely expendable system.

In this new era of reusable rockets there'll be outrage in 2023 (when it's supposed to first launch with astronauts) at the idea of destroying a rocket each time someone wants to go beyond LEO, especially when you consider that by then multiple private launch providers will be regularly flying reusable launchers.

suedester

Banned
Russia can barely afford to keep its cosmonauts on the ISS, let alone mount a Moon mission. The Chinese are decades away from having the financial and technical means to go to the Moon, while the Europeans are more interested in their Ariane venture to care about anything beyond LEO (much to the annoyance of ESA's Director General who advocates a Euro Moon-base).

The truth is that the days of large, government funded space programs are long gone. NASA have now outsourced ISS taxi services to the private sector (SpaceX being one provider) and only having the Space Launch System in the works for beyond LEO duties. Even then it's doubtful it'll do all that much given how bloody expensive it is at $2 billion per launch, and the fact it's an entirely expendable system.

In this new era of reusable rockets there'll be outrage in 2023 (when it's supposed to first launch with astronauts) at the idea of destroying a rocket each time someone wants to go beyond LEO, especially when you consider that by then multiple private launch providers will be regularly flying reusable launchers.

Yeah, it is pretty embarrassing how badly NASA has missed the boat on re-usability. Imagine what they could achieve on their budget if they had a bit of vision rather than their safety first approach. Sad really.

Once again, I'm just gonna throw it out there that I've got dibs if we do a pool to send a Gaffer to Mars. I have loads of hours logged in KSP (but still haven't been past duna, so it's basically destiny)and I'd be happy to give up my cargo space so we can send any random shit there we wanted. I'll also work tirelessly on carving the GAF logo into the martian surface.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
The question of feeding a population and preparing for the arrivals didn't really get discussed, did it?

I think that SpaceX is not focused on solving that issue, they're into the whole "How the hell we send folks to mars and back" problem.
Im sure NASA or other private companies are looking into the food issue.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry

I'm kinda curious... Who will govern the colony, and what Nation will it represent, if any? Will sections of Mars become US soil?

Oriel

Yeah, it is pretty embarrassing how badly NASA has missed the boat on re-usability. Imagine what they could achieve on their budget if they had a bit of vision rather than their safety first approach. Sad really.

In fairness to NASA they thought the Shuttle was going to be the future for them. Shame it turned out to even more costly and dangerous than traditional capsule designs. The SLS is pure pork that I'm afraid will do more harm than good regarding space exploration. Better to give some of that NASA budget to the private sector. NASA were the ones who got SpaceX where it is today by providing them with development funding after all.

Oriel

The question of feeding a population and preparing for the arrivals didn't really get discussed, did it?

Well, airliners don't really concern themselves with the amenities and living provisions of the destination of its passengers in fairness. Musk is primarily concerned with providing the means to get to Mars, and other destinations. Building of the Martian colony can be someone else's job. God knows he's got enough work to keep him occupied for the foreseeable future without having to build a whole city to boot!

2MF

Well, airliners don't really concern themselves with the amenities and living provisions of the destination of its passengers in fairness. Musk is primarily concerned with providing the means to get to Mars, and other destinations. Building of the Martian colony can be someone else's job. God knows he's got enough work to keep him occupied for the foreseeable future without having to build a whole city to boot!

Lol.

I haven't listened to the conference yet, but I am quite curious how people are supposed to live on Mars without an established supply chain that can keep people fed and all the machinery in working condition. Surely the first people who go there will have to establish this supply chain somehow, and it will have to sustain itself only on materials available on Mars. Unless the plan is to rely on constant missions from the Earth.

gutshot

Lol.

I haven't listened to the conference yet, but I am quite curious how people are supposed to live on Mars without an established supply chain that can keep people fed and all the machinery in working condition.

Musk did talk about how they want to continually ferry new colonists and supplies to Mars. He just didn't talk about the particulars of how the colony on Mars would function.

2MF

Musk did talk about how they want to continually ferry new colonists and supplies to Mars. He just didn't talk about the particulars of how the colony on Mars would function.

I see. Sounds super interesting, here's hoping it works out (although I'm not likely be one of the first passengers for several reasons :D).

Lol.

I haven't listened to the conference yet, but I am quite curious how people are supposed to live on Mars without an established supply chain that can keep people fed and all the machinery in working condition. Surely the first people who go there will have to establish this supply chain somehow, and it will have to sustain itself only on materials available on Mars. Unless the plan is to rely on constant missions from the Earth.

Supplies every 26 months. They will probably stockpile supplies on the planet before they send the first group as well.

It's still a dangerous situation but it sounds doable.

Next time you should have to pass a 'Don't be an Idiot' test.

I am curious if they will test the people who go. Money alone shouldn't get you on the ship. In an emergency situation you can't have idiots fucking things up on an alien world or on a spaceship.

The margin for error is low.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Russia can barely afford to keep its cosmonauts on the ISS, let alone mount a Moon mission.
A reduction of their permanent ISS presence from 3 to 2 (one less than NASA's crew, which often includes a 3rd party member) is 'barely affording to keep its cosmonauts on the ISS'? Have you considered they might not be that interested in keeping that many people on the ISS, same way NASA often goes 2 + 1 outsider?

Sure the next Roscosmos budget is not the largest in history, but they also just opened a new spaceport (Vostochny) and have their new Angara rocket tests underway. Not to mention their next-gen Soyuz MS crew ship got its inaugural mission perfect back in July. No, they don't have reusability yet (just like everybody not called SpaceX), but they have predictability and reliability, so everybody can keep enjoying their ISS trips. So let's not take that dismissive angle at them just yet.

I was disappointed with this announcement really. I just didn't get the impression that plans could be achieved given the timeline and funding. Many required technologies to make the strip safe and successful were not announce, like how are they shielding the spaceship from high energy gamma ray and cosmic ray? What about sustainable food production? Life support system? Recycling? Robotic assistance machines and vehicles? The astronauts can't do the construction on mars with only manpower. How are they going to extract water and oxygen from the martian soil for life support and return fuel?

HyperionX

I was disappointed with this announcement really. I just didn't get the impression that plans could be achieved given the timeline and funding. Many required technologies to make the strip safe and successful were not announce, like how are they shielding the spaceship from high energy gamma ray and cosmic ray? What about sustainable food production? Life support system? Recycling? Robotic assistance machines and vehicles? The astronauts can't do the construction on mars with only manpower. How are they going to extract water and oxygen from the martian soil for life support and return fuel?

Looks we are of the same mind here. Like I said earlier in this thread, I'm a skeptic that Musk can accomplished any of this, as there are too many unanswered questions still left on the table, and Musk does not have a good enough track record that leads me to believe that he can. He's someone who can inspire others to pursue greater goals, which is his true strength IMO, but beyond that his engineering/business skills are very lacking. He probably needs to reduce himself to a role similar to Robert Zubrin, a person who advocates for major advancements but not actually pursue them personally.

I'm also going to add that the new rocket appears to be an extremely dangerous one. The first stage is very similar to the N1, a rocket with a terrible safety record, and the upper stages appears to have no launch escape mechanism at all. I can't imagine a rocket like this ever being allowed to launch human beings into orbit given those apparent issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom