• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space X Announces BFR - Travel anywhere on earth in under an hour - Mars in 2022

Concorde was never replaced though, due to a shift to efficiency rather than speed in air travel.

And it's obviously Big Friendly Rocket.

I still think there would be a sufficiently large market for it (high end clients for whom speed is a relevant factor), it was political problems that killed Concorde more than practical or financial ones.

Doodis

I love that Elon is striving to turn science fiction into modern reality. I showed the video to my kids this morning and told them they could one day take a rocket trip around the globe and their imaginations lit up.

Look what SpaceX has already done. They've revolutionized the industry with reusable rockets. It's amazing.

Xe4

Banned
I've seen some back-of-the-envelope maths that suggest the fuel costs would be something like $200k. Obviously this doesn't make any allowance for the cost of the rocket but, being 100% reusable, this cost would be amortised over, potentially, decades (again, like a plane).
$200k wouldn't be bad, but that's only divided by what, 10-20 people? Tops?

That's around $10,000/person. Planes just have more space because they don't need nearly as much thrust as rockets. The air does most of the work for them.

mcfrank

That's around $10,000/person. Planes just have more space because they don't need nearly as much thrust as rockets. The air does most of the work for them.

The human portion of the BFR looks to be about 30 meters by 9 meters. That is about half the length of a 747, so I think it would seat a lot more than 10 - 20 people. I am guessing it could be around 100.

jett

D-Member
Elon Musk sure is ambitious (and insane).

Are people really going to risk getting on a space rocket just to travel to another country faster?

At $5000 a person it blows every first class / business class trans Atlantic flight out of the water (especially from California) considering how fast it is.

The human portion of the BFR looks to be about 30 meters by 9 meters. That is about half the length of a 747, so I think it would seat a lot more than 10 - 20 people. I am guessing it could be around 100.

If this is the case, total game changer ...

You could do extended weekend trips like your going to Vegas but in Australia or some shit and it would be available mass market.

jett

D-Member
There's no way tickets for this thing would just be 5K or 10K. Aren't there "luxury" airliners that cost even more than that? This is a fucking space rocket. I hope it comes with courtesy life insurance too. :p

What's up with all this backlash against innovative endeavors? Seeing a lot of negativity in this thread over safety and cost, things that will improve over time.

BlizzKrut

Banned
My favorite part is the armchair scientists in this thread.

Hoping to see Elon achieve his goal here, the concept sounds incredible and I would love to see this with my own eyes in the future.

androvsky

Are people really going to risk getting on a space rocket just to travel to another country faster?

People would risk going on a space rocket just to be on a space rocket, bonus points if you actually get to go somewhere.

There's no way tickets for this thing would just be 5K or 10K. Aren't there "luxury" airliners that cost even more than that? This is a fucking space rocket. I hope it comes with courtesy life insurance too. :p

He is in fact claiming they are gona be at economy airplane fare prices.

So saying they are gona be priced at 5k-10k is already not taking his word.

I want to live in a hypothetical world in which economy ticket prices can get you anywhere on the globe in an hour. The implications are staggering for travel and tourism and even business. If this happens in say 20 years as I'm getting closer to thinking retirement .... ohhh boy. Gonna see everything on that bucket list.

Between neogaf user SlimySnake's understanding of people's transportation demands and Elon Musk's, I have a hard time deciding who to trust.

Definitely beneficial for intercontinental travel. I believe the risks are no more riskier than any manned flight anywhere. I'm sure safety will be figured out way before they go commercial.

If anything I would think that this would make regular airlines cheaper, right?

Doodis

Between neogaf user SlimySnake's understanding of people's transportation demands and Elon Musk's, I have a hard time deciding who to trust.

Are you kidding me? Look at all of SlimySnake's accomplishments! Do you see Elon taking time to post on NeoGAF? No, you don't, because he doesn't have what it takes to change the future, one post at a time.

Alpende

Same could be said when planes first started getting attention.

I hope this becomes reality, it sounds super cool imo

Zoe

I'm surprised so many people missed the reference on a gaming forum.

Whenever we see a BFG-9XXX license plate, the husband always has to remark that he wonders who managed to actually get BFG-9000.

Window

I want to live in a hypothetical world in which economy ticket prices can get you anywhere on the globe in an hour. The implications are staggering for travel and tourism and even business. If this happens in say 20 years as I'm getting closer to thinking retirement .... ohhh boy. Gonna see everything on that bucket list.

Yeah if this comes to fruition then it's a game changer for sure. An actual example of disruptive technology. Still a bit concerned about comfort levels and it impact on physiology though (assuming having to bear a few Gs).

NH Apache

Banned
hlicTUx.jpg

Because why not?

Wait, is that to scale because I always thought it was much larger.

what about the physiological damages humans would suffer on mars? you're going to need some bone-strong folk there. plus, what tech will be used to prevent the environment from killing you? radiation? food? recyclable water and air?

Ionic

Still a bit concerned about comfort levels and it impact on physiology though (assuming having to bear a few Gs).

There has to be whole books of data on this kind of thing given jet fighter pilots have been flying for decades and regularly take much worse than what this rocket would dish out.

Window

There has to be whole books of data on this kind of thing given jet fighter pilots have been flying for decades and regularly take much worse than what this rocket would dish out.

Sure, I'm not suggesting the effects of this on the human body are unknown but more so how a casual passenger would cope with it and what is being done to accommodate everyday individuals who lack the physical fitness of a jet fighter pilot.

jotun?

People would risk going on a space rocket just to be on a space rocket, bonus points if you actually get to go somewhere.

Virgin Galactic has hundreds of people signing up to pay $250k to go on a suborbital flight that doesn't go anywhere, to see the black of space, the curve of the earth, and experience a few minutes of microgravity

Yeah if this comes to fruition then it's a game changer for sure. An actual example of disruptive technology. Still a bit concerned about comfort levels and it impact on physiology though (assuming having to bear a few Gs).
For suborbital flights of light payloads (passengers), they should have huuuge fuel margins that would allow them to take everything nice and slow.

The biggest health concern (other than exploding or crashing) would probably be people losing their lunch in microgravity

what about the physiological damages humans would suffer on mars? you're going to need some bone-strong folk there. plus, what tech will be used to prevent the environment from killing you? radiation? food? recyclable water and air?

It's genetic engineering a thing now? I am sure we'll "evolve" ourselves to survive Mars

Ponn

Banned
What's up with all this backlash against innovative endeavors? Seeing a lot of negativity in this thread over safety and cost, things that will improve over time.

I would say a good chunk of us that grew up with sci fi movies saying we should have flying cars and space travel by now are pretty cynical. Reality always seems to slap hype and pie in the sky dreams down every time. Mars in 4 years when Space X still isnt reliable now is just not realistic. I cant speak for everyone but i sure hope to see space travel in my lifetime. I would piss my pants in glee if the government gave the entire military budget to NASA. Its just really hard to get excited by projections and theories anymore, especially with the anti-science direction our country has been headed in.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Typical rocket launches cost anywhere from $20m ---> $200m to actually launch. The cost to the customer, whoever that is, will likely be more if it's being launched by a private company.

However that's because, until SpaceX came along, they threw the whole rocket away with every launch. So that $20-$200m is lost in the ether. Imagine you threw away a Boeing 747 every time you flew it - flights would be extraordinarily expensive (and, in fact, we'd likely have never invented a 747 as a result). What SpaceX have done with the Falcon 9 is make the First Stage of the rocket land and then re-use it. This is the most expensive part of the rocket, but there's still a lot of it that gets thrown away.

The plan with this new one is that literally all of it is reusable. It all comes back down to earth in a way that means it can be used again - in theory very quickly (unlike the Space Shuttle, which took months and months to refurbish, effectively requiring it to be taken apart and re-assembled every time it came back). So the model then becomes a lot more like an aeroplane than a typical rocket. The fact, then, that the rocket's very large doesn't increase its costs by as much as you'd think, because again, the only thing you're not getting back is the fuel (though even that's not totally true - this rocket uses a Methane and Oxygen mix, not Kerolox or traditional rocket fuel. As such, with enough energy - say, from solar panels that Musk also makes a lot of - you can actually capture the Hydrogen, Carbon and Oxygen out of the atmosphere before spraying it back out the back of the rocket. In this sense, it's carbon neutral and potentially created using 100% renewable energy).

So I dunno if Musk's anticipated cost is accurate, but you have to think about it more like a plane than like other rockets. Also bear in mind that most of the big rocket manufacturers are, finally, catching up to the idea of reusing elements. This means that, in the "rockets-as-planes" world, we're barely at the Spirit of St Louis level, let along the DeHaviland Comet or Boeing 787 stage. SpaceX are absolutely blazing this trail, but it won't be too long before we have Blue Origin, Orbital ATK, ULA, Arianne etc all with their own "rockets-as-planes". It's an exciting time to be a massive rocket geek!

Yep. As a rocket geek (and in the field) - this is crazy pants ridiculous if they can get the costs down that low. Right now, the major catch is going to be getting the build economy of scale in only 9 of the rockets - basically each new rocket they build is going to have to have a full step jump in terms of efficiency and cost of build. That's...that's really hard to do.

You seem remarkably confident about this.

The math...is really hard to do on this. It's why manned Mars flight is so hard, it's really hard to get the engineering and design efficient enough to not run into the beer and toilet paper problem (basically, 99% of the fuel is burned to lift off..the fuel, leaving only a 1% gain. Don't know if it's actually 99% but it's close). That propulsive ratio is what they have to figure out how to deal with. Unless they have a propulsive breakthrough (which the entire transportation industry is trying to do), they're going to need a materials / build process breakthrough, and possibly multiples of them.

Crispy75

It can take 80 people and all their gear, food, water to *Mars*

The pressurised volume is comparable to an A380. Think hundreds

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
The math...is really hard to do on this. It's why manned Mars flight is so hard, it's really hard to get the engineering and design efficient enough to not run into the beer and toilet paper problem (basically, 99% of the fuel is burned to lift off..the fuel, leaving only a 1% gain. Don't know if it's actually 99% but it's close). That propulsive ratio is what they have to figure out how to deal with. Unless they have a propulsive breakthrough (which the entire transportation industry is trying to do), they're going to need a materials / build process breakthrough, and possibly multiples of them.
Isn’t the plan to refuel in LEO (or possibly the Moon down the line) and then blast off to Mars?

Xe4

Banned
$10,000 is what I figure the baseline could possibly be in our lifetimes. That was me just going off fuel costs. Adding in maintenance, safety requirements, insurance, profit, etc. etc, the cost would be higher than $200k, probably by an order of magnitude. Even if you could fit 200 people in, it'd just end up evening out.

Definitely beneficial for intercontinental travel. I believe the risks are no more riskier than any manned flight anywhere. I'm sure safety will be figured out way before they go commercial.

If anything I would think that this would make regular airlines cheaper, right?
Rockets have an unfortunate habit of blowing up for the smallest reason. As a reference, something like the Delta II or the space shuttle have a success rate of ~98%, considered excellent in the industry. The airline industry has a success rate of ~99.9999%.

Would you get in a rocket on your trip to Australia if you knew there a 1 in 50 or even 1 in 100 chance of never landing? I don't know if I would. Surely safety will go a long way when regulated for consumers, but it has to go a looooooong way to be as safe as an airline.

Zubz

Banned
We are not getting to Mars by 2002.

That said, as much as I hate Musk, I like that this potentially-revolutionary method of transportation is named after a Doom weapon. Unless "BF"X acronyms were a thing beforehand. And the "F" wasn't "friendly" in those cases.

UglyPony

I want to life in a world where we are a space fairing civilization. So any development into this direction is great.

Earth is not going to be habitable forever. If we want to survive as a species we have to get off this rock at some point.

I don't know, are people going to risk getting on a metal tube in the sky just to travel faster? We already got boats and trains.

Not that I think this rocket thing is happening anytime soon, but there is little reason for it not to be available somewhere in the future.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
one thing i don't get

where will be located the BFRports? i guess not near cities

imagine flying across the world in half an hour and then remain stuck in traffic for x hours

dope stuff nonetheless

Uh, trains? I know you guys have them in the US. I took one from the middle of NYC to Newark, and it didn't take very long. But maybe that's an exception. Pubic transportation does need to improve DRAMATICALLY in most of the US.

Musk's space plans all sounds like spammer bullshit. That actually make me lose a bit of confidence in Tesla products by association.

Musk's space plans all sounds like spammer bullshit. That actually make me lose a bit of confidence in Tesla products by association.

I don't understand this.

What has this guy failed at? Ever?

What has he lied about other than aggressive timelines?

If there is one thing to count on, it's that Elon Musk delivers, sometimes a few years later than he wants, but he delivers.

CrunchyB

I'm very skeptical about all of this.

I'd love to be proven wrong though. But it seems like everything is at least 10 years too soon. Mars in 2032? Maybe, but not in 5 years, that's ludicrous. Same thing with that rocket ship. This stuff is extremely hard and uncharted terrain, yelling at your engineers won't make the progress go any faster.

Top Bottom