• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELSPA Sales Awards [December 08]

test_account

XP-39C²
BLaZiN PRopHeT said:
If im not mistaken LBP stopped charting in most EU countires. The UK was the only major one that still had the game chart since released.
Ye, that might be, but if a game isnt charting within the top 10 (which most PAL charts are) or within most charts for that matter, it doesnt necessarily means that the game is selling poorly and/or that the game will end up selling poorly, if that is what you mean?

Take Motor Storm 2 in the UK for example, this game charted for 2 weeks in the UK Top 40 charts. First week (in week 45) Motor Storm 2 charted at 28th place, and in the next week (in week 46) it charted at 36th place. Since week 47 Motor Storm didnt chart within the UK Top 40 charts, at least not what i can see, and in December, Motor Storm 2 has sold at least 100k copies in the UK :)

It would really be nice to have this same type of "landmark" info from the NPD; it would help shut up some of the "top ten equals reality" crowd.

test_account said:
Ye, that might be, but if a game isnt charting within the top 10 (which most PAL charts are) or within most charts for that matter, it doesnt necessarily means that the game is selling poorly and/or that the game will end up selling poorly, if that is what you mean?

Take Motor Storm 2 in the UK for example, this game charted for 2 weeks in the UK Top 40 charts. First week (in week 45) Motor Storm 2 charted at 28th place, and in the next week (in week 46) it charted at 36th place. Since week 47 Motor Storm didnt chart within the UK Top 40 charts, at least not what i can see, and in December, Motor Storm 2 has sold at least 100k copies in the UK :)

Yea i agree not saying that the sales are bad. just pointing out the facts and what i said was a fact.

Also it has a lot to do with the initial sales. MS2 could how had really good first week sales.

LaneDS said:
Weird to see shit like Project Gotham Racing 4 and Animal Crossing DS so high. PGR4 much moreso than Animal Crossing, but still.
You do realize this is cumulative? They just tipped over a milestone this month; it doesn't mean (necessarily) that they're still putting up notable numbers.

test_account

XP-39C²
BLaZiN PRopHeT said:
Yea i agree not saying that the sales are bad. just pointing out the facts and what i said was a fact.
Ye, what you say is facts indeed, and i didnt mean to say that you said that the sales are bad, but the way i understood your comment that since Little Big Planet hasnt charted in most of the PAL charts, that ment that LBP couldnt have reached 1 million copies sold worldwide by now. Therefor i just wanted to say that if a game isnt charting it doesnt necessarily means that the game is selling poorly and/or that the game will end up selling poorly :) If that wasnt what you ment, then i am sorry for the missunderstanding.

EDIT: I dont know if LBP could have sold about 400k copies in the rest of the world so it would have reach 1 million copies sold by now though. I was hoping that Sony would announce when LBP reaches/reached 1 million copies sold, but maybe they will do it relatively soon (if LBP havnt already sold about 1 million copies worldwide though)? :)

BLaZiN PRopHeT said:
Also it has a lot to do with the initial sales. MS2 could how had really good first week sales.
Ye, that is true. I think Motor Storm 2 was bundles as well, but i am not 100% sure if this is counted in the charts then. Kung Fu Panda and Lego Indiana Jones that are bundled with the Xbox 360 seems to be counted in the UK Top 40 charts thought, so maybe Motor Storm 2 would also be counted in the UK Top 40 charts, but unfortunately i am not sure.

Paulokj

TJ Spyke said:
GT Pro Series released in Europe back in December 2006 and took 2 years to reach 100K, talk about a slow seller. :lol

In one month it sold more than 100K, in ONE MONTH :p (december)

legend166

Looks like rail shooters are definitely enjoying a rebirth on the Wii, sales wise. No wonder Sega is coming out with a new HotD.

spwolf

UK is around 30-35% of Western European sales, and a lot less of PS3 sales (% wise)... So LBP should have sold quite nicely in rest of the europe.

PikaBitca

Code:
[B][U]Silver award [> 100.000 units]:[/U][/B]

WII GHOST SQUAD 			SEGA
WII FAMILY SKI 				ATARI
WII FIFA 09 				EA
WII THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD 2 & 3 RETURN 	SEGA
WII GUINESS WORLD RECORDS: THE VID. 	WARNER BROS.
WII GUITAR HERO: WORLD TOUR 		ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
WII RAYMAN RAVING RABBIDS TV PARTY 	UBISOFT
WII STAR WARS: THE FORCE UNLEASHED 	LUCASARTS
WII FAMILY TRAINER 			ATARI
WII WALL-E 				THQ
WII HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 3: SEN. Y. D. 	DISNEY
WII SMARTY PANTS 			EA
WII ANIMAL CROSSING		 	NINTENDO
WII SHAUN WHITE SNOWBOARDING 		UBISOFT
WII GT PRO SERIES 	                UBISOFT

Yet more proof of great third part sales for Wii, and specifically (IMHO) good games (Shaun White, Rayman, Ghost Squad, HotD).

Nice sales for Far Cry 2, at least 300k in the UK not counting PC sales is pretty impressive. Should be well past a million now WW.

Cipherr

TJ Spyke said:
GT Pro Series released in Europe back in December 2006 and took 2 years to reach 100K, talk about a slow seller. :lol

So theres truth to the "Wii games can be serious slow burners" commonly used excuse then? At least in some cases. Amazing though that the game reached 100k after 2 years. I suppose thats a side effect of the Wii moving so much hardware, its bound to drag titles along the way. Im impressed by the Wiis software on that list.

And the return on investment for Carnival games when combining the 600+k it did in the US plus the 600k+ it did here ALONE not counting its sales in other countries must be absolutely mind boggling. I'm serious..... There is no way that game cost much to make, and its doing insane numbers.

test_account

XP-39C²
Adamant said:
Nice to see PGR4 has some good legs. Didn't it sell something like 47k first NPD then disappear?
I am not sure how PGR4 did in the US, but these ELSPA numbers only covers the UK i think, while i think the NPD covers the U.S and Canada (seperate numbers for both the U.S and Canada). Maybe you already know this though, but i just wanted to mention it :)

Are you the same Adamant from Nintendo.no's forum by the way?

GhaleonEB

Really glad to see Fable II up there.
Code:
360 LEGO INDIANA JONES: THE OR. ADV. 		LUCASARTS
360 KUNG FU PANDA 				ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
These were the hardware bundled games, right? Was that universal? If so it implies the 360 sold between 200 and 300k in December.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Nice sales for Far Cry 2, at least 300k in the UK not counting PC sales is pretty impressive. Should be well past a million now WW.
Amazing really, because it seems to have flown over a lot of peoples heads.

test_account

XP-39C²
Puncture said:
So theres truth to the "Wii games can be serious slow burners" commonly used excuse then? At least in some cases. Amazing though that the game reached 100k after 2 years. I suppose thats a side effect of the Wii moving so much hardware, its bound to drag titles along the way. Im impressed by the Wiis software on that list.
Ye, i think as long as the suply is there and when the price is right, i think many games can be slow burners :) There are some othere relatively older games there as well, like Mario Party DS, Singstar '90s for the PS2, Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters for the PSP, The Golden Compass for the DS and the Simpsons Game for the Xbox 360. There are probably some more titles in there that are relatively old as well :)

Puncture said:
And the return on investment for Carnival games when combining the 600+k it did in the US plus the 600k+ it did here ALONE not counting its sales in other countries must be absolutely mind boggling. I'm serious..... There is no way that game cost much to make, and its doing insane numbers.
I think that the sales preformance of Carinval Games is amazing indeed :) I think the developers and the publisher behind Carinval Games have made quite some money on this game :)

EDIT: I added some text. I am so sorry for the very very late edit here! :* But i just had add some text :)

TJ Spyke

GhaleonEB said:
Code:
These were the hardware bundled games, right? Was that universal? If so it implies the 360 sold between 200 and 300k in December.

But they are also sold separately (at least here in the US they are).

test_account

XP-39C²
GhaleonEB said:
Code:
Xbox 360 might have sold between 200 and 300k in December in the UK, but i dont think you can tell that by looking these ELSPA numbers. Kung Fu Panda reached 200k in December, so that means that it sold at least 100.01k in December (it could have been at 99k at the end of November, and it could now be at 200.01k). Based on these numbers i would think that it safe to say that the Xbox 360 sold at least 100k in December in the UK :) I would guess that Kung Fu Panda sold more than 101.01k in December in the UK though, but going by these numbers, i think that this is what we know for sure :)

Kung Fu Panda and Lego Indiana Jones are however two games that are sold separately as well as TJ Spyke mentioned above here, but i would guess that most of these software sales for Kung Fu Panda and Lego Indiana Jones are from the Xbox 360 bundle, but who knows :)

With universal, do you mean that the games Kung Fu Panda and Lego Indiana Jones are bundles with every new Xbox 360 console? If so, then i dont know, sorry :\

Visualante said:
Fable 2 :)
Far Cry 2 :(
There's a ton of people who play that don't know how to pirate games. They buy it every year without hesitation.

Previous game was the best selling game on PlayStation 3 in a country that loves racing games. I'd say its disappointing. (and a bad investment, Sony buying Evolution)

Ubisoft is really cleaning up Nintendo's leftovers on Wii. Wow.

They bought them cheap though....

donny2112

Quazar said:
Was there a NOV. sales awards?

November ELSPA Sales Awards

WII MARIO KART WII - DIAMOND
WII WII FIT - DIAMOND

DS BIG BRAIN ACADEMY - DOUBLE PLATINUM
PS2 FIFA 08 - DOUBLE PLATINUM

DS CARS - PLATINUM
WII SUPER SMASH BROS: BRAWL - PLATINUM
XB360 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR - PLATINUM