• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX Not Using x86 Architecture - Won't Blow Away Current Gen Consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL. I told you guys it wasn't going to be that powerful but no. You keep on thinking Nintendo is going to produce a beast.

I seriously doubt it will be as powerful as the PS4.

Nintendo's last beast was the N64. Or the SNES. The glory days of Nintendo's industry-leading hardware have long since past. This pattern won't change until they have a leadership change.

Custom architecture is better imo but if Nintendo want 3rd parties to come back it's easier with x86.

Like Mac computers which were better with Power PC architecture...

Peterc

What is Nintendo trying to accomplish?

The Emily rumor is hard to believe. Nintendo just don't gonna bring for the 3rd time an underpowered console without having something special. While Nintendo wants to focus more on core gamers, i doubt Emily rumors are true. Looking at the past, did she ever got some hard proof that she has inside information? Because she doesn't tell anything what the system would be beside the power.all lately rumors goes only about power, while the question is, why would it be fresh/something totally new Nintendo said?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Nintendo's last beast was the N64. Or the SNES. The glory days of Nintendo's industry-leading hardware have long since past. This pattern won't change until they have a leadership change.

Yep. I've been thinking that for years.

I'm done with this company. The WiiU will be my last Nintendo console.

Oh and say good bye to third party support.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
This thread has everything, including the classic mistake of underestimating the mighty and underrated GameCube.

Was a beast at an affordable price to such an extent that Sony (with Toshiba) and Microsoft went to IBM the next gen.

Nanashrew

Banned

Ummm... There has been a leadership change but much of this came from Iwata and the new president following through on these plans. Anything after the release of the NX will all be Kimishima.

EDIT: And the Gamecube was powerful.

The GameCube was quite state-of-the art and well designed. It suffered a delay because of some hardware problems which forced it to be released alongside the several hundred dollars more expensive X-Box in most places in this world.
But the GC was clearly the best designed Nintendo hardware.

The N64 was quite the clusterfuck from the beginning with trying to put exotic hardware in a customer product.

Nanashrew

Banned
Something else to think about.

XBO = Focuses more on CPU

PS4 = Focuses on GPU and weak CPU

NX = Looks to be focusing on CPU if LCgeek is anything to go by.

Pancake Mix

The GameCube was quite state-of-the art and well designed. It suffered a delay because of some hardware problems which forced it to be released alongside the several hundred dollars more expensive X-Box in most places in this world.
But the GC was clearly the best designed Nintendo hardware.

The N64 was quite the clusterfuck from the beginning with trying to put exotic hardware in a customer product.

Xbox launched at $299, GC at $199. GC dropped to $99 for most of its life though. Microsoft subsidized the Xbox its entire life, so it wasn't several hundred dollars more.

GC was the best bang for your buck though, certainly, and a beast in its own right.

Edit: The Saturn was more like the PS3 of its era than the N64 in terms of exotic hardware.

Maybe its a handheld with Xbox One power, that would absolutely be groundbreaking. The chips are industry leading , so it wouldn't be so far fetched.

Ansatz

Yep. Been saying hybrid since day one.

"But But Nintendo said its not!"

So? Nintendo says lots of shit. They're denying the hybrid thing in the hopes people are shocked when it is.

It depends on what you mean when you use the term "hybrid"

The handheld and console SKUs will work independent of each other and sold separately, if you think otherwise you are in for disappointment.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I still droll at the idea of Nintendo having something comparable to the XB1 in power. Just imagine what they can accomplish with that.

They can do a LOT of improvements to Zelda NX, for one.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
If true, Nintendo will probably fail again. Unless they come with something unique that makes a different. It's different than this rumor from yesterday:

CiXkvcHXEAEahUK.jpg

Still if they could add additional boxes to make it stronger as the competitors, it maybe doesn't matter.

Hope emily is wrong

Cartridge as media format. Doomed.

Region Free. Fake as fuck.

HooYaH

Something else to think about.

XBO = Focuses more on CPU

PS4 = Focuses on GPU and weak CPU

NX = Looks to be focusing on CPU if LCgeek is anything to go by.

Huh, XBO and PS4 CPU are identical and pretty much the Xbox had to do something when their spec didn't compare to the PS4. It was their only option to OC unless they want to go back to the drawing board and delay their launch.

I think Nintendo could very well make the controller a normal controller for the console like the gamepad for the wii u, but it can also function as a portable gaming device.

They will include one in the box, and allow people to also buy it separately as a regular handheld. With the catch being, that if a friend buys one as well, it can be used as a controller for a second player.

It would give people who buy the controller an incentive to also buy a console, and those who buy the console could double dip and buy games for the controller/handheld AND the console.

Seems like a crazy risk to take with the failure of the Wii U, but if the rumors are true that the controller will have a screen again, might as well go for broke! It seems more plausible with a low spec console.

Roo

Well, it'll be good enough for first party games which should be everyone's focus when it comes to Nintendo consoles anyway.

Diffense

NX is launching in 2017 while the PS4 came out in 2013. We're talking about a gap of almost 4 years and the PS4/X1 were not even *that* state-of-the-art when they came out. Nintendo would have to be trying not to surpass those machines in order to achieve such a feat. If it were true, it would tell us a lot about their strategy going forward.

It would suggest that the handheld, as the base device, restrained the console's specs so as to minimize the technological gap. But in my mind that would make the console extraneous. You wouldn't really need another dedicated machine to play Nintendo games on your TV, just a way to see the handheld games on the TV. It could be a dumb little streaming box with additional controller ports and the option of a wired or wireless connection to the handheld. That's what I would want rather than another $250+ machine to play the same games on a different screen.

Anyway, the NX rumour mill has been crazy so I'll stay in wait-and-see mode.

Champion

Region Free. Fake as fuck.

Well to be fair Iwata did said they were looking into not having region locks and would consider it when they roll out their new hardware. It's not like Nintendo has always had region locked hardware on the market.

Nanashrew

Banned
Huh, XBO and PS4 CPU are identical and pretty much the Xbox had to do something when their spec didn't compare to the PS4. It was their only option to OC unless they want to go back to the drawing board and delay their launch.

I know they're both Jaguar's and I understand that stuff too. I will say that performance often looks smoother from what I've seen of some multiplats.

As for Nintendo, I remember comments on CPU. I feel that's what they'll be mainly addressing for their systems like the n3DS boost going 3x more performance over the original. They're biggest jump ever for a revision. Wii U's CPU didn't cut it for many games, nor seemed powerful enough for most ports. So I feels strongly their main focus is CPU performance.

Xbox launched at $299, GC at $199. GC dropped to $99 for most of its life though. Microsoft subsidized the Xbox its entire life, so it wasn't several hundred dollars more.

GC was the best bang for your buck though, certainly, and a beast in its own right.

Edit: The Saturn was more like the PS3 of its era than the N64 in terms of exotic hardware.

A strange way to say you are right.

The Xbox hardware was insanely expensive compared to the GameCube

Roo

You do realise that modern AAA third party games are like 50gb.

They could go as high as 64GB cartridges if they needed to.
This is also assuming NX would get the biggest third party games which most likely won't be the case so why bother to even bring that up?

Ansatz

They need to make it so that when you buy the physical version of a game, you can play it on your form factor of choice.

So cartridges make more sense than discs, because the format will probably be the same for both the handheld and console.

They are not doomed because the shared library concept is the most logical thing they can do at this point. This also means the NX console controller must have a screen in it in order to achieve control scheme parity, since they will likely keep the clamshell / two screen design for the handheld.

Zil33184

The Tegra X1 is supposed to scale up to 1 TFLOP, which would be a bit below the XB1: http://www.gsmarena.com/nvidia_announces_tegra_x1_with_1_teraflop_performance-news-10643.php

Mind it's also NVIDIA FLOPs instead of AMD's.

It's also a very modern chipset: https://shield.nvidia.com/blog/tegra-x1-processor-and-shield

I think it would fit, especially if the home console version is plugged into a wall socket and doesn't have to worry about power consumption. You could put fans on it if you needed to.

That's only for fp16 math, Tegra X1 would only be 512 Gflops (256 x 2 x 1GHz) if we're comparing it to GCN. There's currently no mobile gpu that would put it in the same ballpark as Xbox One.

Not sure where the mobile gpu speculation is coming from anyhow, we know AMD is the gpu vendor for NX.

sfried

How much is that going to be?
Considering how cheap SDD have become, I wouldn't be surprised if they end up being around the same as manufacturaing 3DS cards.

They might even think about using the same plants to manufacture said cards.

Then again, this is ASSSUMING they do use cards. It's stupid to take anything posted on this thread as actual fact.

Nanashrew

Banned
That's only for fp16 math, Tegra X1 would only be 512 Gflops (256 x 2 x 1GHz) if we're comparing it to GCN. There's currently no mobile gpu that would put it in the same ballpark as Xbox One.

Not sure where the mobile gpu speculation is coming from anyhow, we know AMD is the gpu vendor for NX.

Began in the previous thread and got locked because we should have made new threads about new news. But the Tegra stuff is in the new thread if you're curious http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1218933

Don't recall that being confirmed.

antonz

Cartridges are not nearly as much an issue as they once were. Macronix can make them as large as 32Gb at the moment.

Striek

There's no point in Nintendo investing in a powerful console. Nintendo can only differentiate through innovation at this point. They will not compete on traditional battlegrounds.

If they have a compelling gimmick it'll sell itself, if they don't then boom, Wii U redux.

Arguing about whether it's anywhere on the spectrum of a bit weaker than XBOne to slightly stronger than PS4 is pointless.

Either would be a disappointment to traditional gamers, excepting Nintendo's fans, who frankly, will take and like ( or begrudgingly accept ) whatever they get.

Pancake Mix

Considering how cheap SDD have become, I wouldn't be surprised if they end up being around the same as manufacturaing 3DS cards.

They might even think about using the same plants to manufacture said cards.

Then again, this is ASSSUMING they do use cards. It's stupid to take anything posted on this thread as actual fact.

ROM is cheaper. They're not going to use flash memory for physical games. I'd avatar bet on that.

mark_79

Banned
I suppose if you take a look at what the XBO is capable of in the case of games like Doom, ROTTR, etc, the NX being there or there abouts isn't that big a deal.

A 3D Mario or Metroid *should* look utterly spectacular on it. In fact I dare-say, better than anything on the other two consoles, if not technically but certainly to look at.

Last/current gen I think Mario 3D World or Captain Toad TT are the most beautiful looking console games available.

I wouldn't overreact just yet. People see ARM and think omg mobile performance.

Cortex A72 isn't that far behind Intel Core M and is ahead of AMD Jaguar that powers PS4/XB1.

Synthetic benchmarks for example:

Snapdragon 652 which has 4x A72 and 4x A53 cores
Single Thread Score: 1467
Multi Thread Score: 4987

AMD A6-5200 which is a 2GHz 4 core Jaguar Chip
Single Thread Score: 1018
Multi Thread Score: 3185

I realise this is an apples to oranges comparison and only synthetic benchmarks but there is no reason why being an ARM chip is a bad thing. Especially if its coupled with a discrete graphics chip.

There is also the added benefit if they have a mobile device running a similar ARM setup games could be 'easily' ported.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom