• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX Not Using x86 Architecture - Won't Blow Away Current Gen Consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nanashrew

Banned
Even after two tries (since Wii U is 8th gen and Nx will be 9th) they won't be able to blow away something like the Xbox One and stick to an obscure architecture (probably for backward compatibility to 3 gen back). Then they'll try to do some new gimmick with the console for which the console is underpowered there by affecting the quality of the game even further.

It's not obscure, weird, strange or exotic architecture at all. It's a myth that it is anything of those things or even weak. It's used in everything these days. It's even used in your GBA, DS and 3DS. It will also be in their next handheld too and everything points to their home system as well.

RichGS

Just who the hell is Emily Rogers and why should we believe anything she says?

Doesn't seem like there's anything there worth paying attention to. When a reliable source starts talking I'll be all ears but not for this twaddle.

Were you looking forward to writing assembler code for it? In that case I feel your pain. That's the only reason for anyone to care about the instruction set

So, 3rd party ports will be easily converted regardless?

Initial thoughts are this can't help ameliorate the Wii U stigma that nobody besides Nintendo wants to code for their consoles. But I suppose it's possible it won't really matter if engines/middleware are efficient enough to not add unnecessary development cost/time.

Just who the hell is Emily Rogers and why should we believe anything she says?

Doesn't seem like there's anything there worth paying attention to. When a reliable source starts talking I'll be all ears but not for this twaddle.

She is worth paying attention to.

wrowa

Less powerful than Xbox One would paint a bleak picture regarding 3rd party support (slightly more powerful than PS4 would put them in a good spot in that regard), but generally speaking I believe that for Nintendo hardware a cheap price is more important than horsepower. So, if this means that they can go for a low price, then this might nevertheless be a good idea.

EVH

This is sadly a lot more Nintendo than all the Polaris speculation, so I believe it.

Still, Nintendo can go fuck themselves. They will deliver again an underpowered machine, a weird architecture so nobody is interested in porting games to their "omg NX platform", a shitty online experience and of course for the price of a real updated console because it includes some stupid gimmick that nobody cares about and not even they know how to take advantage of it.

WiiU again.

The_Lump

Banned
This is sadly a lot more Nintendo than all the Polaris speculation, so I believe it.

Still, Nintendo can go fuck themselves. They will deliver again an underpowered machine, a weird architecture so nobody is interested in porting games to their "omg NX platform", a shitty online experience and of course for the price of a real updated console because it includes some stupid gimmick that nobody cares about and not even they know how to take advantage of it.

WiiU again.

Wow. That's some real solid conclusion jumping shoes you got on there.

Mokujin

I don't mind if its ARM, I'm ok with it as long as they use modern cores, but power being on Xbox One level stretching it? Damn, seriously disappointed if true, 3 years after Ps4 release should have been more than enough time to do an affordable Ps4ish hardware, and no matter what I would have been really happy with that.

It can be even worse if Nx has dual screen functionality and has to share hardware power between both displays again, and the worst part of it is that would mean the perfect excuse for 3rd partys to refuse to support any multiplatform chances. I guess it this is true it can still bring Zelda U at 1080 which is something I really want, but 60 fps might be a stretch?

Nintendo being Nintendo again? Damn.

Nanashrew

Banned

WiiU again.

I guess 3DS doesn't count for anything being ARM though ARM is pretty much used in every device under the sun these days.

Lucifon

This seems like a terrible idea if true. If Nintendo are going solely first party focused like last time then the odds of developers pouring money into developing for their platform is so slim. The console has to be a huge success for devs to even bother.

sviri

I'm not up to date with the situation. Does this seem like it's going to be a good thing for Nintendo, or a bad thing?

KAL2006

Banned
Those who are honestly dissapointed with power. Lets say Nintendo went as powerful as PS4 or slightly more. And is around the same price range. It will get more 3rd party support on the get go no doubt nit probably still not as much as PS4 due to smaller userbase. Do you honestly believe it will be a success. I think it would be worse than GameCube scenario atleast GameCube was extremely cheap. There is no room in the market for another platform that is similar to PC, XB1, PS4.

The best course if action is to be the budget secondary console and target current gen owners who want a cheap side system which plays Nintendo games and has some unique experiences. They should target to be a secondary console and a cheap system for kids and casuals. The advantage of this the power level would be close between handheld and console and they would be able to have a unified software output with no draughts which would make the system rather appealing. Imagine a cheap $250 console that plays every Nintendo game such as Pokemon and Mario. As well as those unique Japanese games. I'm sure western indies will be aboard as well and maybe even some bug western publishers may take notice later down the line if sales are good. Imagine COD4 remake ported to NX it would be cool to have a proper COD on the go.

Nanashrew

Banned
I'm not up to date with the situation. Does this seem like it's going to be a good thing for Nintendo, or a bad thing?

Ease of development and porting? A good thing.

I mean, this is what they're going for:

ChJmHK5W4AEf4Vk.jpg:large

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/130131/05.html

Full on Apple (or UWP if you prefer). And the part about restructuring, it might be slowing down now cause they're likely finishing it up. Corporate restructuring happened recently too in the latest Investor stuff, and have gone from traditional JP corporate structure a more western. Means they're starting to look more globally, and western structure is more agile and quicker to spot and react to trends in the market.

It's Wii U all over again and it was obvious. They're aiming on making their IPs succesful and pull as many games as they can, that's the only thing Nintendo hinted about NX. No third parties or uber powerful console. It doesn't mean they can't be succesful.

Being both weaker than an Xbone and using a different architecture... ugh, DOA. I really hope this ends up being false because I find it so hard to believe a company can keep making the same obvious mistakes over and over again.

Peterc

Still, most people at Nintendo doesn't know what specs the nx will have. Still those inside people claiming to know what it is. Isn't that strange?

usmanusb

wouldn't it be easier for Nintendo to go for one soc vendor for handheld and console. It will make the overall process easier (technology, api, supply chain, integration, price negotiations etc)?

Striek

Vena in the other thread mentioned a possibly similar scenario, i.e. Gamecube v.s. Xbox v.s. PS2: consoles were the mere numbers didn't tell the complete story. Is there a deep analysis of performances between them anywhere on the web? I found this about the specs

http://wars.locopuyo.com/cwsystemspecsold.php

But the layout of the site is so awful, it doesn't entice people to read XD

Morbid curiosity, but what do you mean?

At a guess, you're clinging fifteen years later to the notion that the GC wasn't utterly outclassed by the Xbox (which it clearly was)?

Nanashrew

Banned
ARM isn't too different and you don't even have to worry about instruction sets. It's really, really, really stupid how this thread keeps going on about ARM being so different, so exotic, so weird, so obscure when it's not.

Nothing stopped 3rd parties from making games on 3DS with ARM, nothing stops anyone making a game on mobile and it uses ARM. Everything uses ARM and just about every game engine supports ARM from middleware to high end engines.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Well if the handheld is going to be close to the xb1 in terms of power i'm totally ok with it :)

gogogow

Morbid curiosity, but what do you mean?

At a guess, you're clinging fifteen years later to the notion that the GC wasn't utterly outclassed by the Xbox (which it clearly was)?

There were only two consoles 15 years ago? What happened to the PS2?

ARM isn't too different and you don't even have to worry about instruction sets. It's really, really, really stupid how this thread keeps going on about ARM being so different, so exotic, so weird, so obscure when it's not.

Nothing stopped 3rd parties from making games on 3DS with ARM, nothing stops anyone making a game on mobile and it uses ARM. Everything uses ARM and just about every game engine supports ARM from middleware to high end engines.

It's just the result of noone having a clue what they are talking about (including me) when it comes to tech.

KAL2006

Banned

Also isn't Vita ARM so many games were ported to Vita that are on PC and PS4

trixx

Why not work with third parties in the development of the console. How expensive would it be to release a console as powerful as the ps4 today? If this isn't a hybrid of some sort of be thoroughly disappointed

Hopefully it's a handheld

Nanashrew

Banned
It's just the result of noone having a clue what they are talking about (including me) when it comes to tech.

orz... I guess it's sort of driving me up the wall. It comes in every other post even when it was already explained on the very same page.

Even Beril, who is a dev said it's little issue unless you're working in assembly, which no one does. I think this is why most of the tech people just sort of bowed out of this thread.

Peterc

Also isn't trev saying(one of the most trusted source) that it would be polaris? 2 trusted sources saying different things.!?
And previous sources also claimed that ps4 games could easily be ported.

TheJoRu

*insert knee-jerk reaction here*

Seriously, we will just have to wait and see what the NX is. We don't know. It has a new concept, we don't know what it is. Chances are high we'll be talking about that rather than power once it's revealed.

I fully expect it to be $299 at launch with a pre-installed game, and that the concept is embedded more into the software and a bit more abstract in nature than something expensive like the Gamepad. They'll put whatever hardware they can in there to get to that price with a modest profit.

In terms of third-party support there's nothing here that to me infers "they won't get third-party support", but it doesn't really matter that much because that's not their main goal anyway. Their strategy is to increase the output of Nintendo software and the value of said software, not third-party software. Not to say that's not another goal of theirs, but publishers have proven to be unreliable (because Nintendo is unreliable) and thus they will rather seek partnerships to get exclusive games/content and broaden the library, as opposed to designing hardware that wants to court publishers that may just as well quit supporting you after 6 months for various reasons or won't even support you at all.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Everyone told me I was wrong, but I'm feeling more and more like I was right that the console and handheld will share software. The home console will upgrade it to look nicer. My original idea was that the console was a booster box, and that may be wrong and it's actually a standalone device, but I'm telling you they will share games with the console boosting them.

kiguel182

Only reason to fear ARM is if you're writing in assembly, which no one does these days with games.

All that matters is ease of development and engine support. Nintendo does still have a long way to go for 3rd party support no doubt, but they sound like they're going with ease of development and engine support, so that's good. It's something they've needed to do for awhile imo.

That is true. The API's are high-level so the hardware implementation is not the most important. Still, it might create performance diferences since engines do use low-level programming that might need to be optimised differently.

Offering great dev tools is, no doubt, the most important step to get third-party support. But I think that the same architecture would also be a nice step in that direction. Especially since I'm a big supporter of console homogenization.

Eolz

Also isn't trev saying(one of the most trusted source) that it would be polaris? 2 trusted sources saying different things.!?
And previous sources also claimed that ps4 games could easily be ported.

Trev is speculating polaris due to some features that could be put on other chips. He's focused way too much about it being from amd and has no info on that.
Games can still be relatively easily ported, not a contradiction with those rumors.

Oemenia

Banned

Let me guess, you're a Nintendo fan.

funny how she went from not top teir but still "good" Now the only console it will be better than is the Wii U spec and performance wise.

open your eyes people. "fiddle"

It can still be xbone level , flops wise and be more powerful. Which is why all of the lol Nintendo people in this thread clearly have no fucking clue about tech. It all depends on what they are using.

Those who are honestly dissapointed with power. Lets say Nintendo went as powerful as PS4 or slightly more. And is around the same price range. It will get more 3rd party support on the get go no doubt nit probably still not as much as PS4 due to smaller userbase. Do you honestly believe it will be a success. I think it would be worse than GameCube scenario atleast GameCube was extremely cheap. There is no room in the market for another platform that is similar to PC, XB1, PS4.

The best course if action is to be the budget secondary console and target current gen owners who want a cheap side system which plays Nintendo games and has some unique experiences. They should target to be a secondary console and a cheap system for kids and casuals. The advantage of this the power level would be close between handheld and console and they would be able to have a unified software output with no draughts which would make the system rather appealing. Imagine a cheap $250 console that plays every Nintendo game such as Pokemon and Mario. As well as those unique Japanese games. I'm sure western indies will be aboard as well and maybe even some bug western publishers may take notice later down the line if sales are good. Imagine COD4 remake ported to NX it would be cool to have a proper COD on the go.

I'd actually say the complete opposite of this is true, and if anything now is the perfect time for Nintendo to make a more traditional console and gain back a huge amount of ground their failed approach of cheap systems just for Nintendo games has cost them over the last decade plus.

Like it or not, the PS4 and rise in PC gaming shows us what the market is actually interested in.

Even the Xbox One fucked that up, and that leaves an opening for Nintendo, with its huge amount of brand awareness and nostalgia in the US, combined with far better standing and audience diversity in the rest of the world, that they could, with the right rebranding, third party deals and marketing, use to take second place this gen and be ready for a real fight once the PS5 and NX 2 set things back to 'zero'.

There's simply no other option. No matter how low the price goes, a Nintendo only console will sell less than the WiiU. Mobile will continue to sap the numbers from handhelds until it's into the niche numbers of dedicated cameras, sat navs and all the other tech smartphones killed.

There's a very healthy dedicated gaming and particularly console market that we know from previous gens can support 2 systems very healthily, and currently only has one player in it that didn't spectacularly fuck up, and there has never been a better time for Nintendo to right their ship and become that second player.

Just sticking the course and selling to the ever dwindling hardcore is just putting their fingers in their ears and shouting that what everyone wants is wrong while heading straight toward an iceberg though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom