• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX Not Using x86 Architecture - Won't Blow Away Current Gen Consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.

E-Cat

Wait so why are people saying NX will be weaker than X1? I thought the implication was that it would be between X1 and PS4.
Because they're misinterpreting this
REMBx32.png

as "NX will jump off the line to Xbox One's left". Which makes no sense, of course.

Nintendo did not discover alien technology that would allow them to blow away XB1/PS4 at the same price. That's reality for ya.

You don't need alien technology. They could have PS4-like power for half the TDP/space using, you know, the 16/14nm finfet technology available right now. Or something like a PS4k for the same price.

They just don't want to because they think they can make another Wii with shit hardware that sells like crazy somehow. XB1 power in 2017 is laughable and almost comparable to the Wii U in terms of underpoweredness. Let's see if they have an ARM CPU and how low they can clock it. Maybe they'll even use LPDDR3!

Lucifon

A system like what Emily is describing is Nintendo's XB1/PS4. It can run the same games and middleware engines those two can. The wiiU cannot. Nintendo did not discover alien technology that would allow them to blow away XB1/PS4 at the same price. That's reality for ya.
It doesn't require alien technology... Those things are 3 years old.

E-Cat

A system like what Emily is describing is Nintendo's XB1/PS4. It can run the same games and middleware engines those two can. The wiiU cannot. Nintendo did not discover alien technology that would allow them to blow away XB1/PS4 at the same price. That's reality for ya.
If only reality included the price-performance benefits of Moore's law.

It's not. It was said from the start from Nintendo that the NX home console would replace the WiiU and that something unannounced would replace the 3DS. Iwata said they would work together "like brothers", but also dismissed the hybrid idea.
There never was talk of one device replacing both.

Sorry, but when did Nintendo say it would replace the Wii U and that something else would replace the 3DS?

Proelite

Because they're misinterpreting this
REMBx32.png

as "NX will jump off the line to Xbox One's left". Which makes no sense, of course.

I interpret the NX as starting at the left of XB1 but very close.

That would explain what she said grammatically.

Vena

I interpret the NX as starting at the left of XB1 but very close.

That would explain what she said grammatically.

How do you get to the left from this:

In terms of raw power, numerous sources tell me that NX is much closer to Xbox One than PlayStation 4. Even that might be stretching it a tiny bit.

Its obviously a comparison between both [X1<NX<<PS4] and has to be between both given the wording, it cannot be to the left or right of either. Otherwise mentioning the PS4 is irrelevant. That'd be like saying "Sources tell me the NX is much closer to the PS4 than the X1..." would you then tell me the NX must be to the right of the PS4 and stronger? No, of course not.

I am convinced many people simply cannot read.

Proelite

FinFET is this year, though.

AMD is late this year.

It would have been a huge risk for Nintendo to time their console launch with a new Fab introduction because of delays, yields, etc.

I personally think they stuck with 28nm to avoid the unprecendented risk, (even MS and Sony dont take those risks).

Its obviously a comparison between both [X1<NX<<PS4] and has to be between both given the wording, it cannot be to the left or right of either.

Nothing in her statement says that the NX in between PS4 and Xbox One. NX could just as easily be closer to Xbox One than PS4 and still be weaker than both.

Vena

Nothing in her statement says that the NX in between PS4 and Xbox One. NX could just as easily be closer to Xbox One than PS4 and still be weaker than both.

Read that last sentence, and tell me it makes any sense at all. Why is the comparison even bringing in the PS4 if it is not trying to raise a comparison point between three different items? If its weaker than the X1 then there's no need to mention the PS4.

Proelite

Read that last sentence, and tell me it makes any sense at all. Why is the comparison even bringing in the PS4 if it is not trying to raise a comparison point between three different items? If its weaker than the X1 then there's no need to mention the PS4.

The streching part doesn't make sense to me. Does she mean that its not close to XB1 because it was equal or weaker?

Its not that people cant read, its that she wrote something quite contradictory.

gai_shain

Its obviously a comparison between both [X1<NX<<PS4] and has to be between both given the wording, it cannot be to the left or right of either. Otherwise mentioning the PS4 is irrelevant. That'd be like saying "Sources tell me the NX is much closer to the PS4 than the X1..." would you then tell me the NX must be to the right of the PS4 and stronger? No, of course not.

This is how I understand it

Oersted

Just an obversation, but it fascinates me that our primary source for everything NX is one blogger.

Nothing against Emily

Vena

The streching part doesn't make sense to me. Does she mean that its not close to XB1 because it was equal or weaker?

No.

"The system is closer to the X1 than the PS4" (Between hem.) "And even that is stretching it." (As in, its more towards a weird middle, its a stretch to say its going one way or another.)

Ponn

Banned

Its obviously a comparison between both [X1<NX<<PS4] and has to be between both given the wording, it cannot be to the left or right of either.

Why are you assuming shes starting the comparison somehow in the middle of the two? She just said its closer to XB 1 than PS4 with the ambiguous NX being the starting point. Instead of putting it on a linear line with XB1 and PS4 bookshelving the line think of it as bar graph with the 3 separate.

Weaker. The difference between PS4 and Xbox One is so insignificant than even trying to quantify NX other than being weaker makes no sense. Might as well just say all three are the same in the grand scheme of things.

bachikarn

You are assuming what she wrote was perfectly articulated. It might not have been.

She clearly isn't a technical person, and she is basically trying to summarize what she was told. I'm going to guess some stuff got lost in translation.

E-Cat

AMD is late this year.

It would have been a huge risk for Nintendo to time their console launch with a new Fab introduction because of delays, yields, etc.

I personally think they stuck with 28nm to avoid the unprecendented risk, (even MS and Sony dont take those risks).
Even in that case, there have been improvements in microarchitecture and the manufacturing efficiencies of 28nm.

Regiruler

No.

"The system is closer to the X1 than the PS4" (Between hem.) "And even that is stretching it." (As in, its more towards a weird middle, its a stretch to say its going one way or another.)
That in no way implies that it's between them. She's simply saying that of the two benchmarks, it's closer to the xbox one benchmark than the ps4 benchmark.

Eolz

No.

This.

Why are you assuming shes starting the comparison somehow in the middle of the two?

Because that's how the english language works?
I guess Emily might just have to use big pictures with big arrows next time.

Then why add the caveat of "even that might be stretching it a bit".

It read to me like it might not even be on par with the X1, but if it were between the two (due to the unknown factors of the architecture and how it might perform) it would be closer to the X1 than the PS4 either way. That's why the PS4 was mentioned.

It's an odd sentence that can be read in different ways. There's no need to assume people interpreting it differently have a lack of reading comprehension.

Proelite

No.

So there is no reason for her to mention the PS4 if the NX is weaker than Xb1. But because the system is in the middle, she can spit this comparison nonsense?

I think its a bigger stretch to interpret what she wrote as NX being in the middle.

But hey, maybe she just cant write comprehensible comparisons.

geordiemp

NX is a family of products as far as we have as official info from Nintendo. Not necessarily everything releasing in march 2017 though.

Then they would of said the Nx's = plural.

They said the NX would replace, which is singular. Every time Nintendo mention Nx recently its in the singular, still think its a mobile + docking station

Ponn

Banned
This.

Because that's how the english language works?
I guess Emily might just have to use big pictures with big arrows next time.

You're right, thats why i'm questioning the whole "in between" part because

In terms of raw power, numerous sources tell me that NX is much closer to Xbox One than PlayStation 4. Even that might be stretching it a tiny bit.

It's nowhere implied that its in between those two. Just that XB1 and PS4 are the current gen consoles, there is a slight difference between them but the NX is closer to the XB1. Again, look at it as a graph table with 3 bars.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
She's using PS4 and XB1 because those are the benchmarks people ask for, not because it's necessarily between the two.

It's nowhere implied that its in between those two. Just that XB1 and PS4 are the current gen consoles, there is a slight difference between them but the NX is closer to the XB1.

"The system is closer to the X1 than the PS4" is clearly meant as NX being between the two. There's no other interpretation for this that would make sense. We know where XB1 sits compared to PS4, if NX is below to XB1 being below PS4 is implied by logic. So it only make sense to mention PS4 in that sentence if it's between them.

It doesn't require alien technology... Those things are 3 years old.

Vague excuses like this don't explain anything. Moving on...

You don't need alien technology. They could have PS4-like power for half the TDP/space using, you know, the 16/14nm finfet technology available right now. Or something like a PS4k for the same price.

They just don't want to because they think they can make another Wii with shit hardware that sells like crazy somehow. XB1 power in 2017 is laughable and almost comparable to the Wii U in terms of underpoweredness. Let's see if they have an ARM CPU and how low they can clock it. Maybe they'll even use LPDDR3!

Yes tech just recently being introduced into the consumer market. Still people overestimate what new process nodes mean for something like a video game console. Sony is still keeping the original PS4 on the market and positioning the neo as a premium version of the console. Nintendo does not want a $400 console for obvious reasons. For all we know the NX can still edge out a PS4 with a similar price tag but it's not going to be a big difference if so. As long as they target a sane launch price the existing consoles are good indicators of what to expect.

Proelite

"The system is closer to the X1 than the PS4" is clearly meant as NX being between the two. There's no other interpretation for this that would make sense. We know where XB1 sits compared to PS4, if NX is below to XB1 being below PS4 is implied by logic. So it only make sense to mention PS4 in that sentence if it's between them.

Xbox is 6, ps4 is 10.

NX is 5.

5 is between 6 and 10 no other interpretation.

E-Cat

Then why add the caveat of "even that might be stretching it a bit".

It read to me like it might not even be on par with the X1, but if it were between the two (due to the unknown factors of the architecture and how it might perform) it would be closer to the X1 than the PS4 either way. That's why the PS4 was mentioned.

It's an odd sentence that can be read in different ways. There's no need to assume people interpreting it differently have a lack of reading comprehension.
The starting point was that NX is closer to X1 than PS4. If you take that to mean that NX is weaker than X1, then the stretching it part makes literally no sense. If we moved further to the left of X1, NX would STILL be closer to it than PS4. What's so stretching it about that?

Vena

She's using PS4 and XB1 because those are the benchmarks people ask for, not because it's necessarily between the two.

She isn't.

Based on what I&#8217;ve heard, I don&#8217;t believe the NX will compete directly with PS4 (Neo) / PS4K in raw power.

Context makes the "oh its weaker than X1" statement even more nonsensical. Why is an even HIGHER bar being brought in for direct comparisons?

"Bikes are more like cars than they are airplanes. From what I know they won't directly compete with intergalactic cruisers."

What sort of nonsensical comparison is this?

But hey, maybe she just cant write comprehensible comparisons.

She wrote her comparison perfectly well.

The obvious statement is that it is in some murky middle-ground, and due to architectural differences there simply is no 1:1 comparison, and, hence, why she later says the specs will be a thing of arguments and debate. If it were clearly weaker than even the weakest console, there would be no debate.

Noi_

Banned
Whats the last thing Emily has said that came true? Paper Mario? I'm not trying to discredit her or anything but she's said a lot of things that really haven't came to fruition.(like Mother 3) So should we take this any more seriously? I understand that shes credible but she's had some bad info in the past too. idk

Neoxon

I'm ok with not being better than current generation, but no x86 is going to be bad for multiplatform devs and possible ports.
As stated numerous times throughout the thread, going ARM (which seems to be the only other option since it's the only other modern architecture besides x86, with PowerPC being on its way out) isn't nearly as bad as you're making it out to be. Pretty much every major engine being used now (Unreal Engine 4, Frostbite, Unity, etc.) supports ARM. So yeah, it's not a big deal.

Eolz

You're right, thats why i'm questioning the whole "in between" part because

It's nowhere implied that its in between those two. Just that XB1 and PS4 are the current gen consoles, there is a slight difference between them but the NX is closer to the XB1. Again, look at it as a graph table with 3 bars.

The in-between is implied just before that.
The stretch part is the only thing confusing people, and is more meant as saying that having a precise idea where it sits between both is stretching right now (because the specs are still changing, a different architecture can't be compared that easily, etc).

Xbox is 6, ps4 is 10.

NX is 5.

5 is between 6 and 10 no other interpretation.

Wat

Whats the last thing Emily has said that came true? Paper Mario? I'm not trying to discredit her or anything but she's said a lot of things that really haven't came to fruition.(like Mother 3) So should we take this any more seriously? I understand that shes credible but she's had some bad info in the past too. idk

yeah, she definitely gotten better over the years but remember the Pikmin 3 and Endless Ocean Wii U leaked Pics?

Neoxon

Eurogamer did back Emily up on the Mother 3 thing. As for rumors she reported on that have proven to be true, there's the NX port of Zelda (though that wasn't a hard guess, & Trev did report on it first) & the 3DS getting Miiverse. I may have missed a few others, so the rest of you are free to chime in. Overall, she has gained more solid sources over the years, hence why her reliability went up.

Ponn

Banned

No, it makes perfect sense to mention PS4 because those are the two main consoles out now. She even goes on to add that people were claiming it was 2x more powerful than the PS4 and then clearly states that was false so there is a lot of sense to mention PS4. Again, why is it 'clearly" meant to be inbetween the two, when the word isn't even used? How are you assuming its meant to be a linear comparison bookended by XB1 and PS4?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Then they would of said the Nx's = plural.

They said the NX would replace, which is singular. Every time Nintendo mention Nx recently its in the singular, still think its a mobile + docking station

Because it's codename. Plus we don't even know if they will launch together, most probably not.

And you don't see Sony talking about Playstations and Microsoft talking about Xboxes.

Peterc

Seems that most people care about small power differents with nx. Looking at all posts it would be:

80% power of nx
10% 3rd party support
5% first party support
2% other stuff
1.9% network support/ui
0.1% innovation

Not that I don’t care, but would it make allot of differents. Isn't innovation and netwotk/ui more important for them?

Emily keeps referring to the console in question as just NX, not NX handheld or NX home console. Maybe she has confused her source for the handheld instead of the home console?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom