• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX Not Using x86 Architecture - Won't Blow Away Current Gen Consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadAss2961

I always doubted that Nintendo would go stronger than the PS4.

Different architecture also probably means that the trademark lack of third party support won't be ending here.

sfried

Nnnnnnnnnintendo? Any rumors confirming its not pie in the sky "omg it blows PS4 and XB1 out of the water" and based more in reality with how Nintendo operates is a shitton more believable.

So you're proving my point then?

"It's Nintendo! They will go for the shittiest hardware! They should just go 3rd party!""

what-ok

Nintendo has never been hardcore. They have had some great games for the family and a few games thrown in there that offer more of a challenge.
It is so clear that they take the position of not trying to deliver experiences of the other consoles and always push new ways of playing through different tech (input devices). It seems though that this approach alienates them and developers haven't gravitated towards nintendo's non traditional ways of game development. Lots of todays top developers use the traditional game pad since it is a perfect way to play. No need to reinvent it. Nintendo disagrees and changes it up and developers are lost.
This creates its own niche of nintendo gaming while XBOX and PS compete for a more traditional tech heavy market. My 2 cents.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Why are people so certain that Emily's rumors are correct?

Nothing against Emily, but random person posting a credible rumor is usually a one shot thing. It's a veritable concept if you scourge the history of internet rumors really. Random person gets credible information, releases information and experiences fame and notoriety. Now random person wants to keep these things, and seemingly becomes an information mole on ALL SORTS OF THINGS.

It's really easy to take the current internet information of the day, and base a spectacular insider story from it. I always look at these things from the perspective of someone who knows professional game journalist and game developers, and how the information flows among us. I'm just like well this doesn't sort of add up.. how would you know something from a localization department and now something from a technical R&D department.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

"It's Nintendo! They will go for the shittiest hardware! They should just go 3rd party!""

The only point you make is calling the hardware shittiest without knowing too much about it.

Nothing against Emily, but random person posting a credible rumor is usually a one shot thing.

So I guess she is no longer a random person since she had more than 1 rumor confirmed?

tebunker

Banned
Again 3DS is still $199 I just don't see Nintendo going so low. Unless both will be underfeatured and underpowered.

Yes an No, They routinely have sales where the systems are $25-$20 off, which means they could theoretically lower the price but the market is willing to bear it to a degree.

Honestly, $150 - $180 is the wheel house for the portable, and $249 - $299 is probably where they land the console. Honestly, depending on the chipsets they probably can get in that neighborhood. Especially if its a cartridge system with very little (comparatively speaking) internal storage. They could probably shave that $30 to $50 off the Xbox1 price we see now. Offer more modern tech at roughly the same price.

They've got a long road to go though.

Ponn

Banned

I never said anything about doom and gloom or going third party. If anything you are proving points about zealot Nintendo fans. It's about being realistic about how Nintendo has operated for the last couple gens now. They don't chase the power or worry about competing with the other systems. They don't worry if the numbers of their parts match up with competitors in forum console wars.

th4tguy

Yes an No, They routinely have sales where the systems are $25-$20 off, which means they could theoretically lower the price but the market is willing to bear it to a degree.

Honestly, $150 - $180 is the wheel house for the portable, and $249 - $299 is probably where they land the console. Honestly, depending on the chipsets they probably can get in that neighborhood. Especially if its a cartridge system with very little (comparatively speaking) internal storage. They could probably shave that $30 to $50 off the Xbox1 price we see now. Offer more modern tech at roughly the same price.

Why would they ever make it a cartridge system? Unless it's just handheld, it would be horrible and expensive to do it that way.

Asd202

What I'm thinking the handheld will be $249-299 while the new home console $300-399. Profit on hardware from day one, home console around Xbone level with a twist/gimmick as Nintendo is known for. Shared libabry to some degree may be a thing.

sfried

I never said anything about doom and gloom or going third party. If anything you are proving points about zealot Nintendo fans. It's about being realistic about how Nintendo has operated for the last couple gens now. They don't chase the power or worry about competing with the other systems. They don't worry if the numbers of their parts match up with competitors in forum console wars.

I never mentioned anything about Nintendo chasing power.

I merely made comments about how the bunch of posters here have made snide remarks that Nintendo should just go 3rd party.
I want it to happen at this point. They'd be the best 3rd party. I could play their games on the best hardware again.
See what I mean?

MuchoMalo

Banned
I kinda think at this point people want to belive whatever they want...

So if someone decides to make some sort of article on why Nintnedo should go 3rd party, everyone will jump on it.

Edit: The SemiAccurate rumor seems about as credible as Emily Roger's rumor. In other words, its still conjecture and speculation at this point.

Either way, people still want Nintendo to be doomed.

He literally referred to it as a guess before posting it, and his anti-Nvidia bias is clearly showing. I don't think he even has a source at this point.

Meanwhile, Emily likely has sources but she doesn't fully understand what she's been told and is too proud to admit it... I really need to avoid talking about her because my dislike of her really shines through lol

What I'm thinking the handheld will be $249-299 while the new home console $300-399. Profit on hardware from day one, home console around Xbone level with a twist/gimmick as Nintendo is known for. Shared libabry to some degree may be a thing.

I can't tell if you're joking or not.

sfried

He literally referred to it as a guess before posting it, and his anti-Nvidia bias is clearly showing. I don't think he even has a source at this point.

Meanwhile, Emily likely has sources but she doesn't fully understand what she's been told and is too proud to admit it... I really need to avoid talking about her because my dislike of her really shines through lol

It isn't about anti-Nvidia either.

It's about taking rumors and claiming it as fact.

I thought that "NX leak" would've proven GAF a valuable lesson, but no. People don't learn and GAF continues to believe what they want to believe.

Eolz

I want it to happen at this point. They'd be the best 3rd party. I could play their games on the best hardware again.

Ah, we were missing the "they should go third party!" posts.
Some posts about how they're just making amiibos now and some about how NX doesn't exist and they're going full mobile and the thread will be complete.

Peterc

Stop telling stupid things. Do you still enjoy sega all their games? The old Sega is dead because of that. Without Nintendo game consoles would get boring, not something I want. I like innovation. Still with MS probably going 3rd party. We have 2 different consoles with own taste like apple and MS. Choose and pick or both.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I think they are targeting $199, not $299. And $129 for the handheld.

I don't know how appealing such a low cost console is, i want a new handheld, but at 129$ what can i expect? That price includes whatever gimmick Nintendo is going to add too so it's going to be a very weak console.

E-Cat

Still they made killer instinct possible on snes and donkey kong country 3 on gameboy color. Even street fighter 4 on 3ds.

Yes it looks worse, but still enjoyed the game. Look at smash for 3ds
Those games were not straight ports, but hand-tailored to their specific platforms. Totally different thing that takes a lot more resources.

Ponn

Banned
I never mentioned anything about Nintendo chasing power.

I merely made comments about how the bunch of posters here have made snide remarks that Nintendo should just go 3rd party.
Fuck you.

Was I one of the ones that said they should go third party? No. In fact i've been a big proponent of Nintendo embracing their current 2nd console status, making affordable hardware and concentrating on themselves and their software and if third parties hop on because it may be cheaper to develop on their hardware so be it.

And if you take offense to people thinking her rumor of the NX being close to the X1 and calling that type of hardware "shitty" then the only other possible outcome that you are looking for is it to be as powerful or more powerful than the other consoles, no? It's called competing, its what the other two systems do, constantly.

And real classy ending there, take a step back away from the internet and calm down. Stop taking discussion of a company that personally.

Edit: oh you tried to stealth edit it out but were caught. Too slow like...

Stop telling stupid things. Do you still enjoy sega all their games? The old Sega is dead because of that. Without Nintendo game consoles would get boring. Not something I want. Still with MS probably going 3rd party. We have 2 different consoles with own taste like apple and MS. Choose and pick or both.

Sega is dead because their last console ruined them completly, not because turning into a pure software company makes your games shit.

bachikarn

Still they made killer instinct possible on snes and donkey kong country 3 on gameboy color. Even street fighter 4 on 3ds.

Yes it looks worse, but still enjoyed the game. Look at smash for 3ds

I think you misunderstand. The quote is saying you can't make a game with different scaling options where low and high are 10x apart. You can create two versions of that game that optimize for different hardware though. But that wouldn't save Nintendo development time.

Ms.Galaxy

Gamecube.

You mean the system that had a terrible aesthetic that made it difficult to appeal to the public, the system that had double the royalty fees of its competitors, the system that used mini-DVDs that held only 1.5ish GB of data while its competitors used DVDs and DL-DVDs that can hold 4 to 8 GB of data, the system that had no focus on online while its competitors were starting to experiment with it and opening up services, the system that was terribly marketed because it had no idea what it wanted to be, the system that Nintendo actively fought against 3rd parties early on because they didn't want to compete with them, we're talking about that disaster of a system, right?

The Gamecube was easy to develope for, cheap, and powerful, but it had terrible design and marketing decisions, as well as internal pettiness and arrogance within Nintendo, that hurt the thing from succeeding. Sony pulled the Gamecube move with the PS4, a powerful, cheap, easy to develop for system and it turned out to be a massive success because they did the opposite of what Nintendo did with the Gamecube.

For people who wanna know more, and surprisingly this is semi-related, here's two of Emily Roger's in depth articles about the whole mess that was the Gamecube:

A Dolphin's Tale: The Story of GameCube

The Struggles of Marketing Gamecube.

Peterc

I think you misunderstand. The quote is saying you can't make a game with different scaling options where low and high are 10x apart. You can create two versions of that game that optimize for different hardware though. But that wouldn't save Nintendo development time.

I agree, I love Nintendo, but if they don't cleanup their thing, i think it could be gameover. Hope that they bring a powerful console with high support. Or that they bring something innovative (not casual) that changes the game industry.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Sega is dead because their last console ruined them completly, not because turning into a pure software company makes your games shit.

It requires a major change in development philosophy and software output. Nintendo as they are would not perform very well as a third-party. Their development cycles are too long and they don't appeal to the general mainstream demographic. In order for Nintendo to remain as they are when going third-party, they would slowy die due to a lack of AAA games. They're too big to survive without several annual IPs and much more frequent releases in general.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
which is perfect

I get hardcore nintendo fans are upset here but IMO this is nintendo's only play. They have no place in the market in any other capacity. A hardcore console release would be DOA.

I'm a hardcore Nintendo fan and I'm upset in no way whatsoever. Nintendo will keep making quality software no matter the "specs" of what hardware it's running on.

Peterc

Still it would be the same for Nintendo to happen. Nobody wants that. You can't have one leader, you need to have a competitor (not ms).

E-Cat

You mean the system that had a terrible aesthetic that made it difficult to appeal to the public, the system that had double the royalty fees of its competitors, the system that used mini-DVDs that held only 1.5ish GB of data while its competitors used DVDs and DL-DVDs that can hold 4 to 8 GB of data, the system that had no focus on online while its competitors were starting to experiment with it and opening up services, the system that was terribly marketed because it had no idea what it wanted to be, the system that Nintendo actively fought against 3rd parties early on because they didn't want to compete with them, we're talking about that disaster of a system, right?

The Gamecube was easy to develope for, cheap, and powerful, but it was terrible design and marketing decisions, as well as internal pettiness and arrogance, that hurt the thing from succeeding. Sony pulled the Gamecube move with the PS4, a powerful, cheap, easy to develop for system and it turned out to be a massive success because they did the opposite of what Nintendo did with the Gamecube.
Great post, agree 100%. I hate it when people point to the Gamecube as failing because of its power and elegance and use that as a cautionary tale, lest Nintendo ever make another non-underpowered console 'cause it would be sure to bomb.

Because she has a good record on information in the past years.

I have yet to see proof of this. She was chiming in when a bunch of other people reported on Paper Mario U and that's basically what she has going for her afaik.
Someone recently posted the things she was ,,right" about before the Wii U came out and most of her information was either false or common sense like ,,Wii U will get a shooter". Mother 3 and gender option in Zelda have yet to be confirmed and both right now seem more and more unlikely.

It requires a major change in development philosophy and software output. Nintendo as they are would not perform very well as a third-party. Their development cycles are too long and they don't appeal to the general mainstream demographic. In order for Nintendo to remain as they are when going third-party, they would slowy die due to a lack of AAA games. They're too big to survive without several annual IPs and much more frequent releases in general.

I don't think that argument makes a lot of sense or why the lack of annual franchises would be a problem.

Pizza

giphy.gif

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
My biggest pet peeve in all these discussions is bringing up the past as 100% predictor of the future.

"Nintendo will fail if they try to match sony and ms, like the gamecube"

- that was 15 years ago
- Wii U failed

If we go by that logic Sony would never ever use cheap off the shelf parts. MS would never compete in the console market because prior to the xbox they never had a console, sega would still be making consoles, The ps4 would be $600 at launch.

Things change, the market is completely different than it was in 2001, shit its completely from 5 years ago. Nobody here or anywhere else knows what will happen if Nintendo launches a powerful system.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Great post, agree 100%. I hate it when people point to the Gamecube as failing because of its power and elegance and use that as a cautionary tale, lest Nintendo ever make another non-underpowered console 'cause it would be sure to bomb.
Do you think the only way to succeed is copying Sony's model?
Because that seems to be what Nintendo are afraid of.

Peterc

The Gamecube was easy to develope for, cheap, and powerful, but it had terrible design and marketing decisions, as well as internal pettiness and arrogance within Nintendo, that hurt the thing from succeeding. Sony pulled the Gamecube move with the PS4, a powerful, cheap, easy to develop for system and it turned out to be a massive success because they did the opposite of what Nintendo did with the Gamecube.

Marketing is everything. Second to keep gamers you need to have good games. Wii had one of the best marketing, but because the console was weak Nd most 3rd party didn't know what the do with it. The support was bad and people stepped away from the console.

bachikarn

It is also funny to me that people say people are crazy to expect it to be stronger than the xb1 and ps4 because Nintendo doesn't make power house consoles. But the xb1 and ps4 were not power house consoles when they were released 4 years ago. If anything, they had a Nintendo like design approach. So yeah, them being weaker or on part as a 3/3.5 year old console is disappointing.

Whales

Banned
they at the very least should have made it xb1 power... would have been much easier for other devs to port their games

hopefully this rumour isnt true

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
That is fine. I don't even care as long as they support traditional control schemes, then i'll buy one no prob.

I said that i never expected NIntendo to make a powerhouse console or even one competing with PS4 or XB1, and i stand by that. They could launch a console at 700 or 800gflops with 4GB ram and a decent PUMA CPU and would still leave room to sell at a cheap price and completely undercut the other guys

Rodin

The 3DS was overpriced, I think they'll do it again.
The 3DS tanked hard when it came out at 249$, which forced Nintendo to do a massive price cut. Which caused their first loss in like 30 years. No they're not going to overprice their next handheld, they'll sell it for a (likely small) profit since d1, at 199$ max.

Meesh

they at the very least should have made it xb1 power... would have been much easier for other devs to port their games

hopefully this rumour isnt true
At the very least I'm hoping for Xbone. That's the least I'm expecting....and to be honest I hope we get even that.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I think they are targeting $199, not $299. And $129 for the handheld.

Honestly I think it would be hardware suicide for Nintendo to price their home console at any higher. That's why I find all this tech talk so humorous. Nintendo is out of the beauty contest, and has been for 10+ years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom