• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX Not Using x86 Architecture - Won't Blow Away Current Gen Consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Marketing is everything. Second to keep gamers you need to have good games. Wii had one of the best marketing, but because the console was weak Nd most 3rd party didn't know what the do with it. The support was bad and people stepped away from the console.

In my meaningless opinion Nintendo was too arrogant to accept that Wii's success was due to an exceptionally rare combination of events. Had they worried about their brand perception more perhaps they would have made some bigger deals for exclusive games on the system.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I don't think that argument makes a lot of sense or why the lack of annual franchises would be a problem.

Nintendo is a huge company. They'd need a lot more software revenue than they currently bring in to thrive as a third-party. This means that they need more games, and they need western-style games to appeal to the mainstream gaming demographic. It's nice to think that all of Nintendo's games will triple in sales by being put on three platforms, but that isn't the case. The vast majority of Nintendo's demographic buy their consoles, as proven by the astounding attach rates.

I'm serious care to tackle this?

You think that they're going to take the mistakes of Wii U and 3DS, and make them worse... You must have an astronomically low opinion of Nintendo's competence. I could maybe see the console being $300, but the handheld at $250 again? Please.

Mory Dunz

My biggest pet peeve in all these discussions is bringing up the past as 100% predictor of the future.

"Nintendo will fail if they try to match sony and ms, like the gamecube"

- that was 15 years ago
- Wii U failed

If we go by that logic Sony would never ever use cheap off the shelf parts. MS would never compete in the console market because prior to the xbox they never had a console, sega would still be making consoles, The ps4 would be $600 at launch.

Things change, the market is completely different than it was in 2001, shit its completely from 5 years ago. Nobody here or anywhere else knows what will happen if Nintendo launches a powerful system.

As it says: If we don't doomed the past, then we are forever doomed to repeat the doomed in the...
where the eff are the doom reviews anyway?

Peterc

I'm serious care to tackle this?

The prices seems fine, but for that price you could have a much stronger console. Also just wanted to say that how someone already knows what power the nx would have. Doesn't a few people from hardware division only knows that?

If she really knows it, why don't she knows more about the system beside a few specs that looks even more diffecult to know

AdanVC

And to think we're going to continue with this until who the f knows when Nintendo decides to unveil the stupid device. I'm running out of patience tbh :( Almost at the middle of 2016 and still nothing. And the fact that E3 will have nothing NX related makes it even worse!

Mory Dunz

It is also funny to me that people say people are crazy to expect it to be stronger than the xb1 and ps4 because Nintendo doesn't make power house consoles. But the xb1 and ps4 were not power house consoles when they were released 4 years ago. If anything, they had a Nintendo like design approach. So yeah, them being weaker or on part as a 3/3.5 year old console is disappointing.

It's crazy imo cause Nintendo is not going to skip a generation in power. It's the one thing I've been confident of since day one, and before all rumors. Whether it's a smaller generational leap, or bigger one, I feel I'd in my grave before they outright jumped over a generation in power, mid-gen no less. It just wasn't going to happen.

Them catching up mid-gen (~3 years later) is about the best one could hope for

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I also don't see the obsession with Nintendo chasing the other guys from some people being healthy in the long run.

They have not bothered for a long time, why hope they would now when all is said and done?

You have PC, Playstation and Xbox for your gaming needs in that case. Nintendo is right to be doing something different. They just need to find their best niche

AntMurda

I have yet to see proof of this. She was chiming in when a bunch of other people reported on Paper Mario U and that's basically what she has going for her afaik. Someone recently posted the things she was ,,right" about before the Wii U came out and most of her information was either false or common sense like ,,Wii U will get a shooter". Mother 3 and gender option in Zelda have yet to be confirmed and both right now seem more and more unlikely.

She is becoming a rumor factory. Her name is becoming familiar to forums, her twitter account growing, and it seems to result in more rumors. Everything from VC localizations, to Japanese first-party software, to now technical hardware specs. I mean who knows these things? What rumor has she actually single handedly produced that came true?

And to think we're going to continue with this until who the f knows when Nintendo decides to unveil the stupid device. I'm running out of patience tbh :( Almost at the middle of 2016 and still nothing. And the fact that E3 will have nothing NX related makes it even worse!
Big whoop it doesn't release for another 10 months. Nintendo isn't obligated to announce the NX because people have "rumors" of the NX all over the internet. You'll know what it is before it's released.

Ponn

Banned
I honestly don't know. What works for Sony might not work for Nintendo.
I only know it's what I would have them do, for selfish reasons. :p

And thats the key to that argument. The ones wanting specific numbers and specific GPU's and such for power are the hardcore forum goers. That just is not Nintendo's demographic. And its not a big enough demographic or consistent for Nintendo to target. No one is leaving the XB or PS ecosystem for a same looking CoD on NX. Those that really want to play Nintendo games are already buying their system as a secondary to PC, XB or PS. It just makes no sense for Nintendo to compete on that level with the other options out there that are already ingrained. I really don't fault them at all for being insular in most cases (except simple things like Account systems) because they need to set themselves apart in other ways. They really do need to embrace the "second console" status, make their system affordable. Even as a "second console" they could still be a number one console seller ala Wii.

Servbot24

Banned
It's crazy imo cause Nintendo is not going to skip a generation in power. It's the one thing I've been confident of since day one, and before all rumors. Whether it's a smaller generational leap, or bigger one, I feel I'd in my grave before they outright jumped over a generation in power, mid-gen no less. It just wasn't going to happen.

Them catching up mid-gen (~3 years later) is about the best one could hope for

Yep. Matching PS4 is about as much as anyone should really dream of, and even that might be unrealistic. Hell, I'll be happy if it comes close to XBox One.

How many people who demand 3rd party support would actually stop buying 3rd party games for their PS4 / XBO and buy them for NX instead? People are already entrenched in other platforms and ecosystems, where all of their friends are. What reason would they have to buy NX versions instead?

Nintendo is better off releasing a cheap console that does something unique to set itself apart, while focusing on fixing their own first-party pipeline, as their first-party offerings are the main reason anyone still buys their consoles. Wii U had severe first party droughts from the beginning to end, no surprise why it sold so badly. Having only one or two notable titles per year is not OK. They need to expand massively and fill the gaps in releases, and yes that means also making sure genres they traditionally don't make are there for those who want them (whether it's through deals with outside developers, like Platinum or Capcom, or making the games themselves in-house). That is, if they actually care about expanding their customer base beyond the ever-hemorrhaging one they have now.

Dr.brain64

-Can't wait to see mario, zelda etc with ps3 level graphics

-But the console will cost $400... because nintendo

Anyways I think nintendo will always be cheap when it comes to power and I don't think we'll ever see a nintendo-ip game with top ps3-type graphics (yes ps3)

As always, it will be my smash console and not much more. Will it sell better this time? Perhaps if they actually allow a proper budget for their top games. Also, nintendo has always been the most expensive overall compared to ms and sony.

Of course this is my point of view as a gaming hardcore (know-it-all) consumer.

Peterc

Even if Nintendo would have a console 2 x as powerful as ps4 and have all the games we want. It still wouldn't sell because of their marketing.

MuchoMalo

Banned
NX GPU gonna be 900 gflops

Not even a tflop

The console will definitely be a teraflop in one sense...

I couldn't resist.

Anyways I think nintendo will always be cheap when it comes to power and I don't think we'll ever see a nintendo-ip game with top ps3-type graphics (yes ps3)

As always, it will be my smash console and not much more. Will it sell better this time? Perhaps if they actually allow a proper budget for their top games. Also, nintendo has always been the most expensive overall compared to ms and sony.

My eyes just rolled out of their sockets. I'll send you the bill for fixing this.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

Anyways I think nintendo will always be cheap when it comes to power and I don't think we'll ever see a nintendo-ip game with top ps3-type graphics (yes ps3).

That's a bit harsh. What PS3 games are you thinking of particularly?

You have all that now already.
Though you don't seem to know it all if you're just going for cheap forum fodder trolling.

Sami+

Even if Nintendo would have a console 2 x as powerful as ps4 and have all the games we wang. It still wouldn't sell because of their marketing.

All that says is that the marketing team needs a shake-up. I hate this notion of "oh, they tried doing this industry standard thing in the past so they shouldn't do it again or it might be bad". It's nonsense. You see this especially when talking about voice acting in Nintendo games - the solution isn't to never do if again, it's to fire the old team and hire people capable of doing their job. It's that simple.

Peterc

Going back, should this be believable?

nintendonx.png

MuchoMalo

Banned
Are you saying that Xbone produces PS3 level graphics?

No, he's saying that Nintendo sucks at graphics and everything on Wii U paled in comparison to PS3 graphics by a significant margin, so they need am Xbone-level machine to get PS3-level graphics.

Yeah, this thread is resulting in some... "interesting" posts...

Going back, should this be believable?

nintendonx.png

Nope. That wasn't even a rumor. That was just some random crap.

E-Cat

No, he's saying that Nintendo sucks at graphics and everything on Wii U paled in comparison to PS3 graphics by a significant margin, so they need am Xbone-level machine to get PS3-level graphics.

Yeah, this thread is resulting in some... "interesting" posts...

Nope. That wasn't even a rumor. That was just some random crap.
On select titles, I think that Nintendo actually punches above their weight in hardware.

I'm a hardcore Nintendo fan and I'm upset in no way whatsoever. Nintendo will keep making quality software no matter the "specs" of what hardware it's running on.
good

more should be like you. I get wanting nintendo to make awesome AAA games and get 3rd party support but that will just drown them further as a company. They're better off becoming self sustaining and gaining a big enough base and opening it up to indies/app devs.

This has a lot of potential if they get the initial hardware/pricing right.

sout

Neo Member
I guess they're probably doing something really fucking wacky then if it's not even gunna be relatively powerful.

DigSCCP

Why are people talking about a "handheld" and "console" when Nintendo already told NX will replace both?
Correct if Im wrong but so far from what I understood is one NX not two NX devices...

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Why are people talking about a "handheld" and "console" when Nintendo already told NX will replace both?
Correct if Im wrong but so far from what I understood is one NX not two NX devices...

NX is a family of products as far as we have as official info from Nintendo. Not necessarily everything releasing in march 2017 though.

seat

And again I'm wondering what the point of this thing is going to be. Nintendo should have just rebranded Wii U if they're going to do underwhelming, third party-alienating hardware again.

Wait so why are people saying NX will be weaker than X1? I thought the implication was that it would be between X1 and PS4.

Also one constant rumor that we've been hearing over and over again these past few months has been "the NX is super easy to port to." I feel like that's been a consistent thing, as opposed to gimmick and power-level which have often been contested. Does having something other than x86 architecture automatically mean it won't be easy to port to?

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Gamecube.
The GameCubes retail failure was due to many misteps.

- Radically different controller that turned of the 'mature' crowd and developers, despite being a fantastic design IMO.
- Toy-like appearance that only cemented Nintendo's kiddie stigma.
-Higher royalty costs for 3rd parties
-1.5 Gb discs and NO DVD PLAYBACK.
-Virtually zero online support or effort.

AntMurda

The GameCubes retail failure was due to many misteps.

- Radically different controller that turned of the 'mature' crowd and developers, despite being a fantastic design IMO.
- Toy-like appearance that only cemented Nintendo's kiddie stigma.
-Higher royalty costs for 3rd parties
-1.5 Gb discs and NO DVD PLAYBACK.
-Virtually zero online support or effort.

I'm not sure much of your list is even at the top of the reasons why GameCube underperformed. What's your source for the higher royalty costs? You don't even list their lackluster launch and the loss of all their successful western first party IPs which heavily bolstered the N64's success in the west.

Eolz

It's not. It was said from the start from Nintendo that the NX home console would replace the WiiU and that something unannounced would replace the 3DS. Iwata said they would work together "like brothers", but also dismissed the hybrid idea.
There never was talk of one device replacing both.

Wait so why are people saying NX will be weaker than X1? I thought the implication was that it would be between X1 and PS4.

Also one constant rumor that we've been hearing over and over again these past few months has been "the NX is super easy to port to." I feel like that's been a consistent thing, as opposed to gimmick and power-level which have often been contested. Does having something other than x86 architecture automatically mean it won't be easy to port to?

Because people can't read. It isn't going to be less powerful than the X1, as powerful at worst.
And no, ARM doesn't really mean it's less easy to port a game.

Ushay

Sounds like Nintendo are going to left behind again, how can they be so tone deaf to the market after the WiiU? Ah well, we'll see when March 2017 comes.

And again I'm wondering what the point of this thing is going to be. Nintendo should have just rebranded Wii U if they're going to do underwhelming, third party-alienating hardware again.

A system like what Emily is describing is Nintendo's XB1/PS4. It can run the same games and middleware engines those two can. The wiiU cannot. Nintendo did not discover alien technology that would allow them to blow away XB1/PS4 at the same price. That's reality for ya.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I'm not sure much of your list is even at the top of the reasons why GameCube underperformed. What's your source for the higher royalty costs? You don't even list their lackluster launch and the loss of all their successful western first party IPs which heavily bolstered the N64's success in the west.
Higher royalty costs is well known lol. 3rd party support left because of the reasons listed, the power of the system is the only thing that kept the few left on board.

PS2 launch software was abysmal.

Proelite

From her wording it seems that the NX is close to and but weaker than the Xb1. Potentially significantly weaker if closer part was a stretch.

If true NX will be cheap, low tdp, and small. I find it hard to believe it be an off the shell APU from AMD without being x86. They dont have any products with arm except for server CPU.

tr1p1ex

Nintendo approaches hardware like they do games. They try to do something fun that hasn't been done before in terms of how it plays.

You might have wanted a shooter. Maybe a Golden Eye sequel. But you got Splatoon instead where you paint walls and turn into a squid to swim through the paint. They weren't going to make the same shooter everyone else makes. The paint mechanic makes the game play different and sets it apart.

They approach hardware the same way. They want to put in some new twist on how you play their games in order to keep them fresh. They want something that sets them apart. MarioMaker, Nintendoland, Wii Party U, GAme & Wario, Star Fox Zero, all are or have unique experiences made possible because of the hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom