• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX Not Using x86 Architecture - Won't Blow Away Current Gen Consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I interpret it as being a completely different setup so its hard to compare directly. It might have better cpu, faster / slower memory, less flops with better efficiency or something like that. Or less flops but no memory bottleneck.

So a Gamecube then.

On paper, the Gamecube doesn't sound very powerful at all, but in reality, the system was up there in performance.

Still hoping for AMD chip for better optimization.

Proelite

Well let's sort this out then.

Say the NX console has a 1TF Nvidia Maxwell GPU, and I'm just using processing power here because that the easiest metric to grasp. How does that compare to the AMD Southern Islands GPUs in the Bone/PS4?

Where would a 1TF Pascal GPU fit in the scale of things?

Probably as good as a 1.5 teraflop gcn 1.1 / 1.2 AMD part. Nvidia flops are much better.

3.2) Because this would mean that Third Parties could potentially make much more impressive games than Nintendo on their console, and Nintendo does not want this.

This is easily the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Tons of 3rd party games on Nintendo systems have surpassed Nintendo's in-house tech in every console. Nintendo's games look great because of their art, not cause they push the best tech.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
So a Gamecube then.

On paper, the Gamecube doesn't sound very powerful at all, but in reality, the system was up there in performance.

Still hoping for AMD chip for better optimization.

The GameCube was a good deal beyond the PS2's capabilities even on paper.

New to the discussion. It makes sense that the NX wouldn't use x86 architecture if Nintendo are trying to scale the hardware into a handheld device. Handheld devices are all about ARM architecture.

I'm a little skeptical towards ARM designs scaling as well up to console standards.

Luigiv

No, on paper, the GC used maxed conservative numbers like 6 - 12 million polygons per second while the PS2 was like 77 million polygons per second. All the GC numbers were assuming you were using everything available.
He means if you actually compared the actual specs on paper, not the pr benchmarks,then it was pretty clear the gamecube had the advantage. Of course most people didn't.

Peterc

No, on paper, the GC used maxed conservative numbers like 6 - 12 million polygons per second while the PS2 was like 77 million polygons per second. All the GC numbers were assuming you were using everything available.

table6vpe6.png

I'm not good in specs, but comparing games on GC vs ps2, you could say that ps2 was really bad gfx wise compared to the GC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkKX-nU9fX4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v5NosQE8Tk

if NX will be the same story as GC in specs, you could say specs wise its closer to ps2, but still looks much better as ps2 + looks more on par with xbox.
(maybe wishful thinking :) )

Hope on a remake for this game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRVngJ1Yk_4&feature=youtu.be&t=77
even If it was only for the music

Peterc

Not sure if this should be a new thread, but here it is:

President Kimishima Gives New Insight into the Nintendo NX

4JyoCi8.gif

The Nintendo NX has been a hot topic for Nintendo fans, and Nintendo has remained rather quiet during all of the speculation and rumors that are running rampant. In a recent interview, however, Nintendo’s President Mr. Kimishima spoke about the NX and the future of the Wii U.

-What are your thoughts on your next-generation console, NX?

It’s something very new. The hardware, the software lineup, all of it is something I’d like to play for the first time myself.

-By releasing in March 2017, you’re missing end-of-year sales. Isn’t that a bit late?

It’s for the purposes of our game development schedule. When people finish the launch titles, they’ll want things to buy in spring, on summer break, at Christmas. As such, it’s not simply a question of when the hardware’s ready; rather, we need to ensure our software lineup is also in a good place.

-Is that in response to criticisms that the Wii U stalled out due to lack of games?

That was indeed a learning experience for us. However, it’s also true that we were struggling with the exchange rate at the time as well.

-Given the NX will be released next March, won’t that cause people to stop buying consoles this year?

Our business is a lively one. Of course, if you compare the Wii U to the Wii, you understand that situation. When the NX is released, the Wii U business will slow. But the 3DS has Pokemon coming this autumn, and that’s such a big hit that I can’t imagine the NX will have a negative impact on the 3DS.

-It seems more to me that the NX will have an effect on the Wii U due to the fact that both will be consoles.

I suppose it can be seen that way. However, the NX is neither the successor to the Wii U nor to the 3DS. It’s a new way of playing games, which I think will have a larger impact than the Wii U, but I don’t feel it’s a pure replacement for the Wii U.

-The forecast for the fiscal year ending March 2017 remains unchanged from last year. However, projected Wii U sales are 240,000 units behind. Do you feel the NX will sell enough to make up that difference?

The NX is still an uncertain quantity, so any numbers are tentative. However, it’s true it will be difficult unless we foster a strong interest in the NX in our customers. In addition, I have high hopes for the sales of our smartphone apps.

-I am curious about the price. Nintendo has a history of value-focused consoles.

It’s true there is a certain expectation for the prices of Nintendo consoles. Our developers put a lot into them, but we can not sell at a loss. The final price is determined by balancing these two conflicting ideas. I don’t believe it’s as simple as “because this is a new platform, we can make it more expensive.”
http:// nintendo enthusiast .com/news/president-kimishima-gives-new-insight-into-the-nintendo-nx/

Some news articles still thinking Nintendo nx would be shown at E3. Many aren't well informed.

When she says closer to x1 than ps4 I understand it like this: x1 << nx <<<< ps4. In the middle would be x1 <<< nx <<< ps4 for example. Thinking about it, you could also try it like this: nx << x1 <<<< ps4. nx is closer to x1 than to ps4, but then you can just say is weaker than x1 or whatever.
Well after E3 it's going to be X1 < NX < PS4 < PS4N < X1S so they're going to be so far back its scary

Peterc

Well after E3 it's going to be X1 < NX < PS4 < PS4N < X1S so they're going to be so far back its scary

Don't think we would see a new xbox soon, or if you mean in rather in pc terms(cross platform).

Also 3rd party wouldn't be happy about it creating games for 5 consoles. Thats insane

The Lamp

If it's on par with the Xbox One/PS4, decent online structure, easy to develope for, priced decently and has somewhat of a traditional controller. I'm all in.

You're probably not getting all this, especially the traditional controller. this is Nintendo and "a new way to play" lol

cireza

Well, your claim is... Strange to begin with.
A claim ? Like everyone here, I am giving an opinion. Things that I think. See the difference ?

Just as amazing as the part I highlighted...
Great contribution.

This is easily the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Tons of 3rd party games on Nintendo systems have surpassed Nintendo's in-house tech in every console. Nintendo's games look great because of their art, not cause they push the best tech.
If you are having a hard time with this sentence, you can simply ignore it. It does not fundamentally change the idea behind my opinion anyway.

People are having a hard time accepting this, but it is simply logic. If you were a company going to release a gaming console, you would want your exclusive games to be at least decent looking. Problem is that Nintendo has been lagging behind technically, and even if their games look pretty (day one Wii U owner for info), they are miles away from very ambitious games. But they currently still look ok.

Now lets look at Third Parties : they have been used to develop on much more powerful hardware. Some Third Parties are even bigger companies than Nintendo itself, still their work is only about making games. No wonder they have a much greater experience in huge scale games.

Imagine a situation where every Nintendo game looks bad when compared to Third Party games on the same console
. Being Nintendo, you would never want this. For now, this situation has not happened. That's because their consoles are built taking into account what they want, and can do, and not what Third Parties want to do.

But this will definitely happen if they make a console that has the power of PS4 Neo, for example. That's why NX will not be that powerful.

Anyway, this is simply what I think. It is not some kind of absolute truth.

z0m3le

Banned
People are having a hard time accepting this, but it is simply logic. If you were a company going to release a gaming console, you would want your exclusive games to be at least decent looking. Problem is that Nintendo has been lagging behind technically, and even if their games look pretty (day one Wii U owner for info), they are miles away from very ambitious games. But they currently still look ok.

Now lets look at Third Parties : they have been used to develop on much more powerful hardware. Some Third Parties are even bigger companies than Nintendo itself, still their work is only about making games. No wonder they have a much greater experience in huge scale games.

Imagine a situation where every Nintendo game looks bad when compared to Third Party games on the same console
. Being Nintendo, you would never want this. For now, this situation has not happened. That's because their consoles are built taking into account what they want, and can do, and not what Third Parties want to do.

But this will definitely happen if they make a console that has the power of PS4 Neo, for example. That's why NX will not be that powerful.

Anyway, this is simply what I think. It is not some kind of absolute truth.

Do Pixar movies look worse than Square Enix movies? Tech isn't going to magically create a gap between 3rd parties and Nintendo on their own console. Nintendo's own style is simplistic but it is very impressive visually. Even if all Nintendo did was move to higher polygon, texture resolution and 4k output with their Wii U games, their games would shine just fine. Mario Kart 8 in 4k @ 60fps? Zelda U in 4k? where is this gap suppose to exist? realistic looking games? sure, but Nintendo doesn't make many of them and the ones they do? Xenoblade X looks alright, would look better in 4k @ 60fps with no pop ins and higher polygons and texture resolutions.

Also Global Illumination in real time looks stunning for just about everybody.

TL;DR: Nintendo games would benefit from higher spec'd machines too, their art is what keeps them above average despite their specs though, this isn't magically going away, just being enhanced.

cireza

Do Pixar movies look worse than Square Enix movies? Tech isn't going to magically create a gap between 3rd parties and Nintendo on their own console. Nintendo's own style is simplistic but it is very impressive visually. Even if all Nintendo did was move to higher polygon, texture resolution and 4k output with their Wii U games, their games would shine just fine. Mario Kart 8 in 4k @ 60fps? Zelda U in 4k? where is this gap suppose to exist? realistic looking games? sure, but Nintendo doesn't make many of them and the ones they do? Xenoblade X looks alright, would look better in 4k @ 60fps with no pop ins and higher polygons and texture resolutions.

Also Global Illumination in real time looks stunning for just about everybody.
Ok, I can agree with this.

Anyway, Third Party "competition" is not the only reason why I think they will not target a very powerful console, this is why I said that this part of my post should/could be ignored. It's sad that people got stuck on this sentence...

Simply wanted to share a point of view, as anyone else here.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
You're probably not getting all this, especially the traditional controller. this is Nintendo and "a new way to play" lol

The controller doesn't have to be messed with here. They had patents about devices that manipulated the way your TV screen projected images.

Diffense

Why wouldn't third party games look better on Nintendo consoles regardless of power (if the claim is that third parties make more graphically impressive games)?

I don't think they're terribly worried about competition from third parties. They'd love the licensing fees.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
i pretty much agree with YXBA or Trev regarding Emily's blog post.

Video Response To Emily Rogers Nintendo NX Specs Blog :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_6xYHb4E3w

Maybe you and YXBA should read the article again (because she says in the same article that you can't compare apples to oranges) and also this thread, where it was already addressed whatever was specified up until he started talking about a new line of AMD GPUs specifically built for Nintendo, at which point I closed the video.

Also relevant:

Had a lengthy chat with Emily today, and she shared some information with me on all the rumor talk going on recently. Those thinking she is making stuff up for attention or that is she holding a carrot in front of you for laughs are wrong. Her sources are legit, and the claims are backed by several sources. She is sharing the information she has and is clearing the air of misinformation. It isn't being shared for attention.

She did say I could share this small bit with you: "Nvidia is involved with Nintendo's future hardware."

That was how the information was relayed to her. What she reported was how it was given to her. It isn't a case of her misinterpreting or anything.

ozfunghi

Well let's sort this out then.

Say the NX console has a 1TF Nvidia Maxwell GPU, and I'm just using processing power here because that the easiest metric to grasp. How does that compare to the AMD Southern Islands GPUs in the Bone/PS4?

Where would a 1TF Pascal GPU fit in the scale of things?

If it's a 1TF Nvidia chip... which is indeed "industry leading" or "modern/custom", then it will surely outperform the XBO GPU imo. You can't compare Nvidia flops to AMD flops as 1:1. A 1TF Nvidia part will always outperform a 1TF AMD part. Also, you have to take into account that the featureset of a 3+ year newer chip has to be more evolved and the efficiency has to be much bigger.

Even the WiiU GPU was only 176GF and the Xbox360 was 240GF, yet the GPU in the WiiU would outperform the 360 due to having more modern features. And both of those were AMD.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Ok, I can agree with this.

Anyway, Third Party "competition" is not the only reason why I think they will not target a very powerful console, this is why I said that this part of my post should/could be ignored. It's sad that people got stuck on this sentence...

Simply wanted to share a point of view, as anyone else here.

You're overthinking it. It's because they don't want to be the same as Sony and MS, and because they're targeting Japanese needs (small and low power consumption). They aren't conciously trying to drive third parties away. That's just silly.

thefro

You're overthinking it. It's because they don't want to be the same as Sony and MS, and because they're targeting Japanese needs (small and low power consumption). They aren't conciously trying to drive third parties away. That's just silly.

Iwata said they're going to take into account the different playing environments that vary by country with their new hardware. I wouldn't expect them to specifically target super-low power consumption for the console at the expense of power.

z0m3le

Banned
If it's a 1TF Nvidia chip... which is indeed "industry leading" or "modern/custom", then it will surely outperform the XBO GPU imo. You can't compare Nvidia flops to AMD flops as 1:1. A 1TF Nvidia part will always outperform a 1TF AMD part. Also, you have to take into account that the featureset of a 3+ year newer chip has to be more evolved and the efficiency has to be much bigger.

Even the WiiU GPU was only 176GF and the Xbox360 was 240GF, yet the GPU in the WiiU would outperform the 360 due to having more modern features. And both of those were AMD.

Basically this a million times over. Even the GTX 750 Ti (a 1306 GFLOPs Nvidia) can out perform PS4's (1843 GFLOPs AMD GPU) though this is in large part because the PS4's CPU creates a large bottleneck. This is why it is interesting that we have that indiegirl rumor that says that it technically out performs the PS4 (hinting that on paper, this might not look like it would be the case) Just remember, the PS4's components / GPU were taped out 4 years ago, this is the same gap between the 360 and Wii U's components, both AMD and the 360's gflop count is nearly 40% higher, yet the Wii U's GPU out performs it by about that same amount, and here we are starting with AMD vs Nvidia, where Nvidia holds a higher performance per flop ratio in the same generations of hardware. With Emily stating that the chip is very modern, the performance could be much higher, while she was told that the GPU was generously in the same realm as XB1, Nintendo employees particularly one of her current sources has gotten specs VERY wrong in the past, and was the source for Wii U being 600GFLOPs. (although she never reported it, I was in the IRC when he did state it)

Just take the underline info as a tool to navigate rumors, because she is giving us what she was told, but she is not that technically inclined and her source likely isn't as well. (He probably deals with the software side of things) In the end, she also might only be getting info on the handheld, and it might be a 1TFLOPs 16fp part that they are talking about (about 512GFLOPs 32fp, which would be insane to put in a handheld, but then clocks could be different, or the chip could be cut down a bit) She also hasn't ruled out AMD also being involved. With multiple form factors being likely, we really don't know what performance even means right now, but a handheld getting close to XB1 thanks to lower resolutions and higher performance per flop is absolutely possible.

LordOfChaos

You can't compare Nvidia flops to AMD flops as 1:1. A 1TF Nvidia part will always outperform a 1TF AMD part. .

Pedantic sidenote, but no, not always, their architectures flip flop on ALU performances ratio to shader performance to fill rate and everything else. Sometimes a design will have more FLOPs for the other performance metrics, sometimes less.

GCN is currently an architecture where a certain performance level has a higher Gflops number than the equivalently performing Nvidia one. Wasn't always the case, won't always be the case.

It also depends on how much the GPU maker cares about compute. i.e, Intel cared about GPU compute to not be left at a disadvantage, so the lowly Iris Pro had a higher Gflop number than you'd expect for its performance level, and it showed, even besting the 750M at compute while losing to it in gaming performance. So higher performance per flop isn't necessarily a good thing either, just different design choices on who prioritizes compute more.

2015-Retina-MBP.010-980x720.png

ozfunghi

Pedantic sidenote, but no, not always, their architectures flip flop on ALU performances ratio to shader performance to fill rate and everything else. Sometimes a design will have more FLOPs for the other performance metrics, sometimes less.

GCN is currently an architecture where a certain performance level has a higher Gflops number than the equivalently performing Nvidia one. Wasn't always the case, won't always be the case.

It also depends on how much the GPU maker cares about compute. i.e, Intel cared about GPU compute to not be left at a disadvantage, so the lowly Iris Pro had a higher Gflop number than you'd expect for its performance level, and it showed, even besting the 750M at compute while losing to it in gaming performance. So higher performance per flop isn't necessarily a good thing either, just different design choices on who prioritizes compute more.

Any idea about the Tegra line?

vigilant

Neo Member

Gotta review but the PS2s numbers for polygons were based on plain polygons. IIRC I believe the GCs numbers were based on polygons with all effects on. PS2s polygons were much lower with effects on.

Found this which seems like the right article. http://www.ign.com/articles/2000/11/04/gamecube-versus-playstation-2

Proelite

The only poster with an actual leak that went through is a hack in an Emily Rogers thread?

Even a hack can get a leak. Cboat and Nktnrl all turned out to be hacks in the end when they stopped getting leaks from their sources.

All his Polaris videos for Neo and NX is extremely reaching. He got set on Polaris for NX and is going to hang himself on it.

vigilant

Neo Member
Any idea about the Tegra line?

Kinda thinking the new NX maybe based on an ARM chip. Tegra would be perfect.

Wii U more powerful then the Xbox 360. Most high end ARM chips are in that same territory now.

If this console is the portable but home console everyone is talking about I'd think ARM would be a perfect fit. On low res display the chip can run in low power mode and try to keep the same "experience". When plugged in, power and thermal limitations can be eliminated through fans and consistent power. Easily power a 1080p screen

Most important thing to keep in mind is that Nintendo focuses on casual gaming. Apple/Google are taking up that side of the market far more then Microsoft/Sony.

One final note on this being ARM. Remember that Nintendo has traditionally made a profit off of every console sold. ARM gives them the opening to keep costs low. They can do so many things with the markets they are talking about. They can sell model that is the same core chips, and a screen and battery for one price. Console variant at another price. Or they can offer some kind of modular method that can do both at a completely different price.

mookie

Neo Member
Who cares. Dude is a hack. He is getting way too invested in his speculations.

He's just voicing his opinions on the matter and I feel like he has done a lot of research on the subject and does make very value points about the issues with using an arm cpu. Instead of name calling maybe you should point out where you think he's wrong so he can either admit that you're making a valid point or offer a counter argument. From watching his videos and reading his comments below them I have found him to be very reasonable.

Painguy

Didn't LCGeek say CPU was pretty decent. He seems on point so I feel pretty confident the system will be decently balanced. Given what he said about the CPU not sure why everyone is freaking out. Y'all trippin if you're expecting NEO level shizz yo.

I have a feeling specs won't be leaked by Nintendo until the console releases. We could be speculating all the way to next year. Not sure if I can handle it :(

mookie

Neo Member
I have a feeling specs won't be leaked by Nintendo until the console releases. We could be speculating all the way to next year. Not sure if I can handle it :(

Even at that time I could see Nintendo not getting into much specific detail on the gpu. And even if it is more powerful then the ps4 i could see Nintendo not mentioning it.

With release not until next year there's a solid chance they aren't even finalized yet, even if it's just exact clock speeds or something similar that is still up in the air.

Even at that time I could see Nintendo not getting into much specific detail on the gpu. And even if it is more powerful then the ps4 i could see Nintendo not mentioning it.

With it released though it allows somebody to tear it apart and figure the rest out anyway, so even if they don't say anything we'll know for the most part shortly after release.

mookie

Neo Member
With release not until next year there's a solid chance they aren't even finalized yet, even if it's just exact clock speeds or something similar that is still up in the air.

With it released though it allows somebody to tear it apart and figure the rest out anyway, so even if they don't say anything we'll know for the most part shortly after release.

True. And likely 3rd party dev's will talk more openly about it then Nintendo. A lot of third parties won't say too much not wanting to alienate whichever fanbase is ending up with the weaker machine but there will be some who don't care and will talk about it.

KingBroly

Banned
Whatever NX is, Nintendo's going to have to talk about it this year. They cannot reveal this stuff like a month from launch early next year, which I'm guessing they're planning.

Trev's video isn't that great because he's not taking into consideration the NX Handheld, which probably can't run an x86 architecture.

Whatever NX is, Nintendo's going to have to talk about it this year. They cannot reveal this stuff like a month from launch early next year, which I'm guessing they're planning.

Trev's video isn't that great because he's not taking into consideration the NX Handheld, which probably can't run an x86 architecture.

They cant keep this thing a secret until next year, Im betting on October .

Trev is going to be disappointed once the NX is announced and I bet he'll be making videos attacking Nintendo for not giving him what he "expects" the NX to have in it.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Reading Emily's NX tweets, she doesn't seem to know that AMD makes 64-bit ARM designs as well. Not being x86 isn't something that rules out AMD entirely.

Though admittedly the 64-bit ARM designs they have seem to be for servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom