• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX Not Using x86 Architecture - Won't Blow Away Current Gen Consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, they used to. Only worked with the Wii.

It was literally two days ago that Kimishima talked about Nintendo's move into film being an effort to expand the global gaming population.

Since anyone who'd be added to the global gaming population by default can't be a hardcore gamer when they first start playing games, that means that Nintendo's business model - indeed, the underpinning of all the different businesses they try to tackle - is definitely still focused on casual gamers.

Whether they've been making games that actually cater to the needs of that market (or, better put, matter to them at all) in the last few years is another story.

It was literally two days ago that Kimishima talked about Nintendo's move into film being an effort to expand the global gaming population.

Since anyone who'd be added to the global gaming population by default can't be a hardcore gamer when they first start playing games, that means that Nintendo's business model - indeed, the underpinning of all the different businesses they try to tackle - is definitely still focused on casual gamers.

Whether they've been making games that actually cater to the needs of that market (or, better put, matter to them at all) in the last few years is another story.

It can no longer be the same non-gamer now served by phone games though. That ship has sailed.

Nintendo seems a bit more willing to be an AND company this time around. That is, casual AND core.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Too much wattage for Nintendo.

You're possibly right (assuming that my conservative calculations were even correct given that they were on the extreme low-end in terms of the power efficiency boost going from 28nm to 16nmFF+), which is why I think my other estimate is the safer one, especially if they use Pascal. A Pascal GPU with the specs I mentioned in my other post would use roughly 22W or less. That's plenty of headroom for an ARM-based system without an HDD or ODD to consume under 40W. It would be less powerful than PS4, though.

Frostbite works on PS360 as well. I wasn't an issue of getting it to run on Wii U, it's just that EA didn't want to.
Though, if they can get it on the NX portable it could result in good things

No, the CPU was the issue with making it work. It took too much extra effort to be worth it.

Jackano

Yeah. Interestingly, there's now a 75W version of the GTX 950, which happens to have exactly 768 CUDA cores. The GPU itself is probably around 60W. A Pascal GPU with a similar number of cores and similar clocks would use under 40W. That would actually beat PS4. It would be crazy if it turned out that way in the end.

Based on my own shameful attempt at extrapoling numbers based on one of Trakthor's posts, I have to agree with this. Customised 950 or 950M is my final -yet- (for NX home) bet, however when asking for customization it's more likely to be a downclocking than anything else.

Neoxon

No, the CPU was the issue with making it work. It took too much extra effort to be worth it.
But since Nintendo would have a modern ARM CPU, that won't be an issue.

Also, I've heard people talking about the latest wave of Tegra X1 chips getting close to the Xbox One in terms of graphical fidelity. Would this be feasible on a handheld?

It can no longer be the same non-gamer now served by phone games though. That ship has sailed.

Nintendo seems a bit more willing to be an AND company this time around. That is, casual AND core.

They were already an AND company on Wii, which is why games like 3D Mario, 2D Mario, Smash Bros., Paper Mario, and Zelda all sold gangbusters even while Wii Sports and Wii Fit were huge headliners.

Hell, they were an AND company from the beginning. Consider that Golf in Wii Sports is a modern version of Golf on NES (it even uses the same courses), that the Wii Remote was designed to be a modern light gun, and that Nintendo made a fitness game of the kind they made for the NES.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
You know, Nintendo is nerfing the console terribly if they are demanding low wattage above all else.

Judging by the Wii U....they're nerfing the console terribly by demanding low wattage above all else.

Wasn't their low wattage issues mostly with concerns from Japanese folks? Who don't really buy consoles anymore?

If so, hopefully they don't focus on that so much as most people in the west, where the console market still is, don't care about that stuff.

KingBroly

Banned
Wasn't their low wattage issues mostly with concerns from Japanese folks? Who don't really buy consoles anymore?

If so, hopefully they don't focus on that so much as most people in the west, where the console market still is, don't care about that stuff.

Maybe? Wii U might have...2 games that touch 40W when in use. It's kinda absurd. They wanted low wattage so fucking bad that it crippled everything they did. Low clock speeds, low ram speeds, etc.

Then again, their most successful Wii U game in Japan isn't a Mario, a Zelda or a Smash. It's an Online Shooter that was developed on the cheap.

Doctre81

Metal Dave is seemingly vouching for x86/Polaris.
The only issue is that it seems like this is just his opinion and is not the source that gave him the information that made him famous/noteworthy so I'm not sure it should be taken seriously.
I think it won't use x86 since that seemingly doesn't play nice with handhelds.

He said ARM and Polaris i believe.

Jackano

Unfortunately, it looks like it's the fetish of one (the?) top hardware designers.
I don't believe there ever was a single consumer survey, even in Japan, that puts low power consumption in the top topics when choosing a hardware.
It sure havn't helped the Wii U.

brainpann

Is there a substantial reason we think Nintendo will aim for a low wattage home console again? I really dont think they would make that mistake again.

Ogodei

Re: wattage, Iwata said that different regions had different concerns when it came to devising the console that was right for them. This was back when we had the idea that there might be more than 2 devices for the NX family, though this was also taken as an acknowledgement that the slavish devotion to low wattage did nothing at all to help them outside of Japan.

brainpann

Re: wattage, Iwata said that different regions had different concerns when it came to devising the console that was right for them. This was back when we had the idea that there might be more than 2 devices for the NX family, though this was also taken as an acknowledgement that the slavish devotion to low wattage did nothing at all to help them outside of Japan.

Did it even help them in Japan?

Rodin

AMD ARM Apple win? What's this?

There was talk of AMD making semicustom chips for Apple with Zen APUs, but this is for the iMac, and x86.

http://wccftech.com/amd-making-custom-x86-soc-apple-imacs-2017-2018/

So the ARM win "beyond gaming" is still a curiousity. Two x86 wins are accounted for, one that AMD didn't even mention is possible with the iMac APU...What's the ARM AMD win for Apple?

I was speculating that the ARM win could've been the rumored new Apple device, but it was just an example of something that could go "beyond gaming", really. Could be anything, from a new Fire TV to another set-top box to... the NX of course.

nikatapi

From the beginning on the CPU front ARM seems like a no-brainer for cross-compatibility purposes, the GPU remains the question.

Nintendo has had a long relationship with AMD and Nvidia doesn't seem to care about the console space anymore, so it would be interesting to see them back in the game, especially with Nintendo who are always power conservative and looking for affordable parts in their systems. I'm still more curious about the handheld to be honest, since on console graphics are at a point where they're "good enough" for me, a system between Xbone and PS4 power would produce some amazing games. But the handheld is a big "if", especially if we consider resolution and battery life, and i think Nvidia doesn't have the best reputation on power efficient portable chips.

Peterc

They can say whatever they want, but it's clear when Wii U launched they were focusing on the casuals, or thinking casuals were their new core market.

Probably the latter, cuz they're morons.

Article is from 2014. Wiiu launched in 2012 with some casual focus at the first year. Afterwards they said goodbye to the casual gaming and turned back to core gaming.

They can say whatever they want, but it's clear when Wii U launched they were focusing on the casuals, or thinking casuals were their new core market.

They were trying to play both fields. Attract the casual by using the Wii name, the same accessories and make more Wii Fit, and Wii Party games while at the same time attract the PS360 crowd with that EA partnership that never went anywhere, and bringing COD, and Assassin's Creed on their system. That's what Wii U meant: a Wii console meant for U and your specific needs. It wasn't a bad way to position a product like this but I think Nintendo underestimated how apathetic both audiences would be. The casuals were more interested in Angry Birds and Farmville (this was back in 2011 after all) while the core didn't have a compelling enough reason abandon their current gen consoles. I expect the NX to be for Nintendo fans and Nintendo fans only.

MacTag

Banned

With Wii U it was really trying to have a dual approach for casuals and also the core. That's why the Gamepad had a traditional control layout and so much early effort was put into securing things like Ninja Gaiden, Tekken or Bayonetta.

ozfunghi

It can no longer be the same non-gamer now served by phone games though. That chip has sailed.

FTFY

AMD went compute heavy current gen, Nvidia did not, there's nothing inherantly good or bad about an "nvidia flop outperforming an AMD flop". It just means for performance X AMD will have more compute flops at its disposal. It's like when people say GPU X does performance Z with less cores than GPU A. Well...Who cares? All that matters is performance, price, power draw, and for the GPU maker, die size.

Ok, got it. I didn't know that. The way i interpreted it from past discussions on gaf, it was just like AMD/Nvidia used different "scales" to measure their flops or something. Like comparing a petrol engine to a diesel engine or for instance when talking about CC.

This is plain false. 10k first reported that NX is 2 x PS4 in terms of power and it has a Polaris based chip, This was in the thread started with 10k "leaks". All the following rumors he reported on were practically running around these specs. Only after Emily came out and said that this is absurd, 10k reduced a bit his predictions, dropping the 2 x PS4 but sticking with the Polaris story. So no, Emily and 10k don't say the same thing. At some point 10k was up to NX is on par or better than PS4k.

Also Trev was also on board of NX being more powerful than PS4 and having Polaris, so let's not rewrite the history here. Now he's still sticking to Polaris and X86 architecture.

This is not entirely true, 10k also stated that he was talking about performance, but that the actual "paper specs" (raw power) would not necessarilly seem better than the XBO/PS4 (or in between). He just assumed the new architecture and feature set (such as Primitive Discard Accelerator) would make such an impact that it could put it well ahead of PS4, maybe in the realm of PS4k. Maybe he claimed it a little bit more boldly at one time, and a little less so another time. But this was what he was basically claiming.

Schnozberry

Too much wattage for Nintendo.

If the performance gains between Kepler and Maxwell can be recreated going to Pascal, which is a tall order, I think we could see great performance in the NX Console for under 40W. It may not set the world on fire, but it should give us performance pretty close to the mainstream desktop Kepler part from a few years ago that was competing nicely with the PS4 running PC Ports.

Peterc

Since that article very little has changed in terms of game library, and thats been 2 years.

I don't think I'm living in the past.

I do love Nintendo though. Looking forward to the NX

What hasn't changed? Wiiu and 3ds only received games for core gamers in the last 2 years. The casual games are gone. It has been changed back what happened before the wii. But with wiiu without 3rd party support. I think it even will get better with the nx.

vigilant

Neo Member
I think the guy you replied to wasn't making the opposite of your argument which seems to be why we will see 1 form factor. He was just talking about how a shared library makes sense.

Anyway how much faster is your Ipad Pro when plugged in?

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

As far as the iPad Pro there isn't substantial differences plugged in vs battery. This has more to do with keeping the processor cool. You can see a direct correlation between temperature and responsiveness. If say you were to plug an NX into some sort of dock that was able to provide active cooling it would make a big difference

Performance on the iPad in general is incredibly fast. I'd be curious to see what it could do if it was able to run with more thermal headroom.

vigilant

Neo Member
But since Nintendo would have a modern ARM CPU, that won't be an issue.

Also, I've heard people talking about the latest wave of Tegra X1 chips getting close to the Xbox One in terms of graphical fidelity. Would this be feasible on a handheld?

Tegra X1 is a beast of a chip. Would graphics quality like that work in a handheld? Not yet.

I think we are a year or two away from being able to get that kind of performance in the wattage and thermal requirements that todays handhelds need.

ozfunghi

If the performance gains between Kepler and Maxwell can be recreated going to Pascal...

According to what Blu posted, that's not happening. (EDIT: in the other topic i think)

Tegra X1 is a beast of a chip. Would graphics quality like that work in a handheld? Not yet.

I think we are a year or two away from being able to get that kind of performance in the wattage and thermal requirements that todays handhelds need.

The GPU of the X1 draws +/-1.5 to 2W at 500Mhz. The jump to Pascal (from Maxwell) should be 1.36 x more efficient as you can in read the past pages (Blu's post) (EDIT: in the other topic i think). That would bring it at 340 Gflops, with maybe additional new features making it even more efficient. So... not that far off.

Mr Swine

Banned
Why would Nvidia want to enter the console/portable space with their hardware if there isn't that much money to make? Also didn't Nvidia piss of both Sony and MS in the past? Would Nintendo really risk going with them?

antonz

Why would Nvidia want to enter the console/portable space with their hardware if there isn't that much money to make? Also didn't Nvidia piss of both Sony and MS in the past? Would Nintendo really risk going with them?

They tried to get with Nintendo for the 3DS. It got as far as devkits with Tegra 2 in them before Nvidia could not bring power consumption and TDP into a satisfactory level for Nintendo and it forced Nintendo to go elsewhere.

Nvidia is doing nothing but posturing when they say they don't give a shit about consoles/handhelds. Its frankly embarrassing when the Industry leader is locked out of an entire market.

Lol, you really living in the past. Wii was casual. With wiiu everything changed.

The only thing that changed was that because Nintendo wasn't doing this:

It’s a good thing for us, because we do not have to worry about making games something that are relevant to general people’s daily lives.

it turns out most people thought Nintendo's games weren't relevant to their daily lives.

Schnozberry

Nvidia also left Nintendo out to dry with the 3DS by not delivering the performance and efficiency they promised with earlier Tegra chipsets. But every new piece of hardware is a chance to go out for bids, an Nvidia must have came with their negotiating shoes on after getting so dramatically underbid by AMD for the Playstation 4 and Xbox One.

As stated by other people in this and other threads, Nvidia has no large scale customers for their Tegra chips. If they want to be able to continue to invest in that part of their business, they need to win a major customer, even if that means taking thinner margins than they would normally like. Nintendo selling millions of Tegra chips in both handheld and console form would serve both companies well. Nvidia doesn't have to borrow capital dollars from other parts of the business to develop ARM based SOC's, and Nintendo would potentially reap the benefits by having a long term hardware partner that will be able to deliver performance and compatibility as time marches on into the future.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

The answer to the questions is Tegra. Which is not very successful for Nvidia and being provider for Nintendo might boost that business and Nintendo needs a good, efficient and affordable chip for their handheld, which Tegra seems to be.

Edit: beaten.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Honestly, the power consumption argument isn't relevant either way for the console if you're buying into the idea of an Nvidia GPU with similar on-paper specs to Xbone, especially since we're likely looking at Pascal here. If it's not Pascal, we're probably looking at something along the lines of a Tegra X1 with a modified CPU config and twice the SMs, which should result in a <45W console overall and performance similar to Xbone. If it's Pascal, we're looking a <45W console rivaling PS4. Until we know for sure which node or architecture it's on, arguing about power consumption doesn't really make or break anything, and in every single case we end up in the range of current consoles.

magnumpy

maybe nvidia wants to get back into consoles just for the prestige. it would definitely be a feather in their cap. still don't see them selling their hardware for a loss, but could definitely see them selling at a break even point. they're already considered godlike in the PC market, adding nintendo consoles makes some definite sense for both nvidia and nintendo.

here's hoping this deal pulls through!

KingBroly

Banned
They tried to get with Nintendo for the 3DS. It got as far as devkits with Tegra 2 in them before Nvidia could not bring power consumption and TDP into a satisfactory level for Nintendo and it forced Nintendo to go elsewhere.

Nvidia is doing nothing but posturing when they say they don't give a shit about consoles/handhelds. Its frankly embarrassing when the Industry leader is locked out of an entire market.

'We don't don't care about that market. So here's our solution to enter that market we don't really care about!'

That's what Nvidia did after they lost the 3DS contract.

MuchoMalo

Banned
maybe nvidia wants to get back into consoles just for the prestige. it would definitely be a feather in their cap. still don't see them selling their hardware for a loss, but could definitely see them selling at a break even point. they're already considered godlike in the PC market, adding nintendo consoles makes some definite sense for both nvidia and nintendo.

here's hoping this deal pulls through!

They wouldn't need to sell hardware at all. They license use of the IP, and Nintendo designs the chips themselves. Nintendo pays for manufacturing. It's exactly what AMD does.

KingBroly

Banned
They wouldn't need to sell hardware at all. They license use of the IP, and Nintendo designs the chips themselves. Nintendo pays for manufacturing. It's exactly what AMD does.

I imagine if Nvidia was on board for NX's chips, or at least partially, they'd be pushing developers they make deals with to get on board with it as well. Now MAYBE I'm wrong, but Nvidia strikes me as the type of company that would try and twist some arms to make it happen.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I imagine if Nvidia was on board for NX's chips, or at least partially, they'd be pushing developers they make deals with to get on board with it as well. Now MAYBE I'm wrong, but Nvidia strikes me as the type of company that would try and twist some arms to make it happen.

It's nice to be hopeful, but I don't know if Nintendo would even accept that help.

On another note, 10k is a really funny guy.

https://twitter.com/Tenkay23/status/732655532536926208

https://twitter.com/Tenkay23/status/732697375957999624

https://twitter.com/Tenkay23/status/732697704535609344

Summary: It's not ARM but it's ARM but it's not because it's based on ARM but isn't straight ARM. That's literally what he's saying here.

I do really hope that it's not Denver, though. That isn't made for 8-core configs, so if it uses that it might have less than 8 cores or a big.LITTLE config that would surely alienate third-parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom