• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX Not Using x86 Architecture - Won't Blow Away Current Gen Consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.

magnumpy

They wouldn't need to sell hardware at all. They license use of the IP, and Nintendo designs the chips themselves. Nintendo pays for manufacturing. It's exactly what AMD does.

that's exactly what nvidias business model has always been. they develop the technology, and AIB partners develop and sell the cards: MSI, ASUS, EVGA, ZOTAC, PALIT, and now Nintendo apparently

KingBroly

Banned
It's nice to be hopeful, but I don't know if Nintendo would even accept that help.

Nvidia getting Nintendo on board with their GPU's helps their business, and it'd allow them to get more people on their Shield stuff, which is something Nvidia also wants. Whether or not Nintendo wants it probably isn't up to them if Nvidia deems it necessary to push.

Schnozberry

It's nice to be hopeful, but I don't know if Nintendo would even accept that help.

On another note, 10k is a really funny guy.

https://twitter.com/Tenkay23/status/732655532536926208

https://twitter.com/Tenkay23/status/732697375957999624

https://twitter.com/Tenkay23/status/732697704535609344

Summary: It's not ARM but it's ARM but it's not because it's based on ARM but isn't straight ARM. That's literally what he's saying here.

I do really hope that it's not Denver, though. That isn't made for 8-core configs, so if it uses that it might have less than 8 cores or a big.LITTLE config that would surely alienate third-parties.

Denver would be the darkest timeline for an Nvidia design. The performance advantage never really materialized for general purpose code. In order to get the most from it you have to have code that resembles a non branching loop that can be broken down into micro ops to take advantage of the code morphing capabilities of the chip.

You could probably design threads to run on it if you built games for it from the ground up, but it really wouldn't help at all in facilitating Nintendo's need to get ports from the Xbox One and PS4.

LewieP

Why is power consumption important?

In a handheld, because it determines battery life and thermal output (and size/weight, given that a larger power draw will require a larger battery/more cooling).

In a home console the same is somewhat true but not quite as important. Especially for Japan, Nintendo typically likes their home consoles to be small/quiet/low power consumption. Battery life is not really an issue, nor is portability, but I doubt the Wii would have been so successful if it was the size of an Xbox One.

LeleSocho

Banned
They tried to get with Nintendo for the 3DS. It got as far as devkits with Tegra 2 in them before Nvidia could not bring power consumption and TDP into a satisfactory level for Nintendo and it forced Nintendo to go elsewhere.

Nvidia is doing nothing but posturing when they say they don't give a shit about consoles/handhelds. Its frankly embarrassing when the Industry leader is locked out of an entire market.

Pretty sure what 3ds prototypes had was Tegra1 and not Tegra2
Edit: no wait maybe not

Peterc

In a handheld, because it determines battery life and thermal output (and size/weight, given that a larger power draw will require a larger battery/more cooling).

In a home console the same is somewhat true but not quite as important. Especially for Japan, Nintendo typically likes their home consoles to be small/quiet/low power consumption. Battery life is not really an issue, nor is portability, but I doubt the Wii would have been so successful if it was the size of an Xbox One.

Thanks for explaining

Ok so that means that power consumption is the last most important thing for home consoles.I'm not sure if this is still a thing in Japan, also they need to get the west market too.

I just hope regardless of what the GPU ends up being, the controller itself is much more energy-efficient than Wii U's was...

Wii U was a complete contradiction in its design - they intentionally weakened the console to keep power consumption low, yet then made a controller for it that used so much power it even required its own AC cord. It's absurd. They shouldn't repeat that mistake again.

AzaK

Trev is pushing it a bit with the 'a lot of 3rd party AAA games use custom engines' statement, but is clearly wrong about the 're-optimise/recode engines from scratch'. Actually, the 'from scratch' part is absolutely not true.

An anecdote: I'm currently porting an amd64 pet-project of mine to arm64, where I had gone overboard with x86 intrinsics - original code was really game-engine-level-optimised, but for generic x86*, meaning it does both SSE and AVX. Since I want to keep the same level of generic optimisation on arm64, I'm meticulously changing amd64 intrinsics into arm64 intrinsics (alternatively, I could be dropping intrinsics altogether and get the port done in a fraction of the time, but I don't want to do that). But the changes I'm doing for the arm64 port are exactly in those isolated places where I've used the intrinsics, and the translation of the intrinsics themselves is fairly automatic. Curiously enough, I even spotted the other day on the web a fellow developer who had developed an automatic sse->neon conversion header for a subset of sse intrinsics he needed, so he could basically continue writing in sse intrinsics and get neon code generated automagically. So what I'm saying is that for engine code, the porting effort to get something generically-optimised for amd64 to the same level of generic optimisation on arm64 is much smaller than what Trev makes it out to be. Last but not least, engine maintenance is much more compact and is done by much fewer people than the actual games using the engine.

To reiterate something which has been repeated ad nauseam over the past few days: as long as NX has the performance bracket, arm64 is not an issue.

* generic x86 as in not targeting a particular uarch.

I'd be interested to know if any game engines even use native instructions and don't just let the compiler do all the vectorisation; if there's even any real need.

Goo

Denver would be the darkest timeline for an Nvidia design. The performance advantage never really materialized for general purpose code. In order to get the most from it you have to have code that resembles a non branching loop that can be broken down into micro ops to take advantage of the code morphing capabilities of the chip.

You could probably design threads to run on it if you built games for it from the ground up, but it really wouldn't help at all in facilitating Nintendo's need to get ports from the Xbox One and PS4.

Agreed.

I think Denver natively executes code in order; PS4 and XBox One changed to out of order processors and Nintendo has been using out of order CPUs for many years already.

No way developers would be happy having to write code for Denver's ISA.

Kathian

Banned
Nvidia getting Nintendo on board with their GPU's helps their business, and it'd allow them to get more people on their Shield stuff, which is something Nvidia also wants. Whether or not Nintendo wants it probably isn't up to them if Nvidia deems it necessary to push.

Plus it helps Nvidia sell its branding on android if the emulator idea is still part of the plan.

iPaul93

What is Nintendo doing?

In terms of raw power, numerous sources tell me that NX is much closer to Xbox One than PlayStation 4. Even that might be stretching it a tiny bit. Anyone who is claiming that NX is “two times the power of PS4 GPU” is being misled by their sources. Based on what I’ve heard, I don’t believe the NX will compete directly with PS4 (Neo) / PS4K in raw power.

This.They're launching a weak console AGAIN.

Neoxon

This.They're launching an weak console AGAIN.
I wouldn't call a console within the PS4-XB1 ballpark as weak. Granted, it won't tangle with the PS4K, but it doesn't really have to. The PS4K is still bound to the limitations of the PS4 (due to Sony's rules about PS4K support). So as long as the PS4 & XB1 receive a game, the NX Console will follow suit.

I am what you would call somewhat behind on all this. Who is Emily Rogers and "Trev" and should anything either of them say be taken with anything more than a spoon of imaginary salt?

Peterc

We don't know if it's true, but if:

If it could output ps4 gfx, wouldn't that be ok?

You know ps4k would almost not been used for that extra power (outside psVR maybe).

Also even with xboxone, we alsmost doesn't notice the differents when comparing both games.

Nintendo is best in creating amazing gfx on lower power consoles

Lets wait on the first screens before judging

KingBroly

Banned
We also don't know how much it'll cost. At most, it'll cost $300. At best, it'll cost $200. But you're still looking at a peak of XB1 power, without a disc or hard drive in favor of ROM carts and flash memory.

We still had some amazing experiences on Wii U despite the perceivable lack of power.

At this point, the power struggle is only a matter rooted in third-party relations and their middleware.

Also, just to remind you, these are all still rumors.

KingBroly

Banned
You really don't know this....

Sure, it's speculation. But you can see enough that's going on to know where certain things are gonna lay. When you combine Nintendo's attitude about power consumption, durability/reliability, and shared architectures with games being playable on the go or at home, you really narrow down the possibilities of what they're going to do.

AniHawk

I wouldn't call a console within the PS4-XB1 ballpark as weak. Granted, it won't tangle with the PS4K, but it doesn't really have to. The PS4K is still bound to the limitations of the PS4 (due to Sony's rules about PS4K support). So as long as the PS4 & XB1 receive a game, the NX Console will follow suit.

nx console might strangely get a fairly decent exclusive library out of japan considering the rumors surrounding ps4k's support of both resolution types and microsoft's ridiculous stance on parity and minimum order quantities.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I'd be interested to know if any game engines even use native instructions and don't just let the compiler do all the vectorisation; if there's even any real need.
Autovectorization largely depends on the compiler, the formal vectorization guarantees you can provide in your code, and the phase of the moon - even different minor versions of the same compiler can perform differently on the same or effectively-same code. But you're generally right that even when some code seems prone to intrinsics, there are alternative techniques like autovectorization and generic vectors (both of which are architecture-agnostic), that can achieve the same effect. Just not always - some code is still best written in intrinsics. For instance, I use all such techniques, including inline assembly, in the dense matrix multiplication microbenchmark, because of the bunch of compilers and (u)architectures I've targeted with that test. Without having looked at the innards of a commercial game engine for the past few years, I'd expect they still do the same, just because they have to use the same compilers as everybody else.

Kikorin

I've recently had the chance to play Smash Bros in 8 players and I thought Nintendo really don't need all that power to make masterpiece. Also Pikmin 3, Mario Kart 8, Mario 3D World, ecc... lot of games looks stunning to me on Wii U. If they are going with a powerful machine (about the level between X1 and PS4) will be only to try to take third party back, that it's fine and would be cool, but I hope they find the right formula to have a nice price and the right power.

Lets take the witcher 3 as example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tdG7xC4SLc

It's pc vs ps4 vs xbox one. I don't notice the different's.

Even on pc it should be much better because pc is still better as ps4k.

But still I don't see any differents.
Even on my pc which isn't high end by any means, the difference is huge. The frame rate alone is day and night, let alone stuff like Shadow Draw distance and texture Resolution.

hodgy100

Lets take the witcher 3 as example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tdG7xC4SLc

It's pc vs ps4 vs xbox one. I don't notice the different's.

Even on pc it should be much better because pc is still better as ps4k.

But still I don't see any differents.

Thats because you are using a youtube video to compare. Witcher 3 looks wwwaaaaay better on a high end PC and that will be maily due to the higher framerate and resolution. keep in mind the console versions have much shorter draw distances and cities have less npc's in them than they do on the lowest settings on pc.

X1: http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/articles//a/1/7/5/6/6/2/1/XO_000.bmp.jpg/EG11/quality/90/format/jpg

PC: http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/articles//a/1/7/5/6/6/2/1/PC_000.bmp.jpg/EG11/quality/90/format/jpg

Diffense

I've recently had the chance to play Smash Bros in 8 players and I thought Nintendo really don't need all that power to make masterpiece. Also Pikmin 3, Mario Kart 8, Mario 3D World, ecc... lot of games looks stunning to me on Wii U. If they are going with a powerful machine (about the level between X1 and PS4) will be only to try to take third party back, that it's fine and would be cool, but I hope they find the right formula to have a nice price and the right power.

But it does beg the question: how will Nintendo convince people to buy their successor machines if not for prettier graphics? We saw the Wii effect where a large part of the audience wasn't enticed by a prettier version of Wii Fit or Nintendogs. I'm sure it's a question Nintendo asks which is why they keep looking for unique selling propositions.

nx console might strangely get a fairly decent exclusive library out of japan considering the rumors surrounding ps4k's support of both resolution types and microsoft's ridiculous stance on parity and minimum order quantities.

Nintendo doesn't have a history of better Japanese third party support on consoles.

Outside of Monster Hunter all relevant IPs and franchises are already announced for the Playstation 4 already, the NX can reach parity at best.

Nintendo doesn't have a history of better Japanese third party support on consoles.

Outside of Monster Hunter all relevant IPs and franchises are already announced for the Playstation 4 already, the NX can reach parity at best.
Imo, this parity would be a great improvement for Nintendo, and at least a satisfying situation for the japanese 3rds, simply for having another viable option for games distribution between them and the growing mobile trend.

Let's be honest, being exclusive to a platform, without the platform holder paying for a game being exclusive or funding development, isn't really that common anymore.

AniHawk

it really doesn't matter if the nx support is on both handheld and console side. they get the 3ds developers and the lower-tier vita developers who don't want to do mobile and can't support the crazy-if-true demands from sie for ps4 neo support. i'm mainly looking at japan here, where a lot of ps4 support comes with a vita game attached (hinting at the vita version being a base sku).

in the west that effectively means those kinds of games that might be vita/ps4 turn into vita/steam or vita/nx/steam, or some other variety or standalone version of those.

and microsoft support is right out. those guys are nuts with their moq and parity requirements.

KingBroly

Banned
it really doesn't matter if the nx support is on both handheld and console side. they get the 3ds developers and the lower-tier vita developers who don't want to do mobile and can't support the crazy-if-true demands from sie for ps4 neo support. i'm mainly looking at japan here, where a lot of ps4 support comes with a vita game attached (hinting at the vita version being a base sku).

in the west that effectively means those kinds of games that might be vita/ps4 turn into vita/steam or vita/nx/steam, or some other variety or standalone version of those.

and microsoft support is right out. those guys are nuts with their moq and parity requirements.

I think a really important question about NX is how much work has to be done to put a single game onto (presumably) 2 NX devices, i.e. a console and a handheld?

I do think the PS4K demands (assuming they're true, and if it's on a different CPU) is a bit crazy.

Kikorin

If they would share the library between handled and home console and make the games really easy to works on both for developers (like in the mobile field), probably the install base of the two consoles will be big enough to appeal third party developers too.

Also, would be possible to make deals like: buy the handheld version for 45€ or pay 69€ for both.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
But it does beg the question: how will Nintendo convince people to buy their successor machines if not for prettier graphics? We saw the Wii effect where a large part of the audience wasn't enticed by a prettier version of Wii Fit or Nintendogs. I'm sure it's a question Nintendo asks which is why they keep looking for unique selling propositions.

By having a constant flow of 1st party games without long droughts and without filling it with poor quality low budget spin-offs.

KingBroly

Banned
By having a constant flow of 1st party games without long droughts and without filling it with poor quality low budget spin-offs.

It's also going to mean no more doubling up on software lines, so you get more diversity.

No 2 Smashes, no 2 Mario Karts, no 2 NSMB games, no 2 Mario Tennis games, etc.

Game cost is a big question for me, though.

Peterc

Even on my pc which isn't high end by any means, the difference is huge. The frame rate alone is day and night, let alone stuff like Shadow Draw distance and texture Resolution.

Is it really noticeable?
I believe it could look better on pc, but it's also a smaller screen + it would have more framerates ofcourse.

But still, if you can't see it on youtube even in hd res, does it really matter that much?

I'm sure xbox owner enjoy the game as much as the ps4/pc owners does.

We are talking on small details that even after 5min playing, you wouldn't even notice the small details anymore.

If so, we even could just buy a pc and forgot about the console market.

KingBroly

Banned
Is it really noticeable?
I believe it could look better on pc, but it's also a smaller screen + it would have more framerates ofcourse.

But still, if you can't see it on youtube even in hd res, does it really matter that much?

I'm sure xbox owner enjoy the game as much as the ps4/pc owners does.

You realize that you can hook up PC's to TV's nowadays, right? I do it myself.

And TV size has nothing to do with framerate. What's different about Witcher 3 is texture quality and draw distance. That does affect framerate, as does giving you the ability to put more NPC's on-screen.

Kurt

You realize that you can hook up PC's to TV's nowadays, right? I do it myself.

And TV size has nothing to do with framerate. What's different about Witcher 3 is texture quality and draw distance. That does affect framerate, as does giving you the ability to put more NPC's on-screen.

What's the point of buying a Sony or MS console if you can hook your pc on TV?
If you are that much into gfx, you always go with the pc version instead because in your eyes the console versions aren't good (gfx wise)

If you are that much into gfx, you always go with the pc version instead because in your eyes the console versions aren't good (gfx wise)

these are these things called exclusives though.

Kurt

these are these things called exclusives though.

Well than you buy the console to play exclusives and pc for all the multiplatform games.
I mean i never saw a lot of bad comments on xbox exclusives that the gfx were underpowered or that the visuals were bad because of the hardware...

Its throwing salt for nothing here.

KingBroly

Banned

The point of buying a console vs. buying a PC is somewhat lost on Sony/MS nowadays, unfortunately.
1 - Cost
2 - Simplicity, which...if you have to install the game and download a huge ass patch for on Day 1 (that you can't pre-load if you go retail), isn't all that simple.

Another point is that Sony/MS for the last 2 gens have been 'GRAPHICS GRAPHICS GRAPHICS' so they're literally pushing people to go to PC to get the best graphics because they're short-sighted into thinking their consumers won't notice.

Peterc

The point of buying a console vs. buying a PC is somewhat lost on Sony/MS nowadays, unfortunately.
1 - Cost
2 - Simplicity, which...if you have to install the game and download a huge ass patch for on Day 1 (that you can't pre-load if you go retail), isn't all that simple.

Another point is that Sony/MS for the last 2 gens have been 'GRAPHICS GRAPHICS GRAPHICS' so they're literally pushing people to go to PC to get the best graphics because they're short-sighted into thinking their consumers won't notice.

Still we are talking about small details.

Why would you buy games on ps4 or xbox1 that are also available on pc?

Check the sales, many games of them are available on pc but still purchased on consoles.

Thats why people doesn't care to play games with missing a few details.

Kurt

1 - Cost

If someone care so much about GRAPHICS (even if the differences are almost not notible imo) would buy a PC for those 3th party games. Else you don't mind to have gfx that are between xbox one & ps4. What's even worse is that all those ps4 & xbox one owners will be screwed because sony already releasing a new system with better hardware, but that's another discussion. So yeah i didn't heard much noise within the launch year of xbox one that the console is (like some would say) by far underpowered compared to ps4.

AniHawk

What's this about? Is there more than 1080p minimum, higher framerate and feature parity on the PS4K list?

nah, but doing the 1080p minimum thing is the hassle that might turn some devs off to ps4, especially if they're used to ps vita or 3ds, or if they were going to do 720p instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom