• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eminem draws the red line in Hip-Hop Awards cypher

Realeza

Banned
I hate this new flow that Eminem has adopted. I don’t know how to describe it. Technically, it’s interesting but I don’t find it very pleasing to listen to. The cypher he did with Mos Def and Black Thought has an insanely different flow and feel to it that is much more reminiscent of the Eminem whose music I loved.

But, this is less about the technique/music and more about the message which isn’t surprising to anyone who listened to Mosh.

Here's a killer flow from his latest album

https://youtu.be/a-T1pNQ09Yc

Eminem has a million flows.

am i the only person in here that is baffled by Em having a hoard of trump supporters as fans in the first place?

It makes sense.

Em is a great rapper.

Em is white.

So certain racists can cling to Em as true hip hop while trashing every other artist that does not look like them.

Plus Em has been known to just say outrageous lines. Lines that are not politically correct.

The only issue here is that Em is connected with black people than he is with neo-Nazi tiki torches wielding racists.

am i the only person in here that is baffled by Em having a hoard of trump supporters as fans in the first place?

Neh, living in rural ass Ohio I know a whole lot of people that grew up with Em as their idol and either never listened to what was actually being said or just thought it was cool to like rap since a white guy was doing it. And I don't know too many people that aren't Trump supporters sadly.

TraBuch

Banned
They don't listen to lyrics they just skim through it.

Seriously, they see that he's white dominating a predominantly black industry, he makes gay jokes, raps about raping women, is very un-"PC".

It's no surprise that those people would be drawn to him.

Realeza

Banned
I find it surprising and kinda sad that some think Eminem just magically turned good, like he was a racist before. Dude has all the street-cred in the world for this message to feel genuine. He grew up in poverty and surrounded himself with minorities from the beginning.

Also, this cypher is a big deal. He isn't some underground fucking nobody that nobody would give a second listen. He's literally the bigger hip hop artist in the planet, whose message reaches millions.

I've spent some time in a rather backwoods area of Florida and the place was loaded with enormous rebel-flag-clad pickup trucks blasting Ludacris and shit at the time.

Usually these kind of dudes don't really think all that critically.

It makes sense.

Em is a great rapper.

Em is white.

So certain racists can cling to Em as true hip hop while trashing every other artist that does not look like them.

Plus Em has been known to just say outrageous lines. Lines that are not politically correct.

The only issue here is that Em is connected with black people than he is with neo-Nazi tiki torches wielding racists.

this happens? i'm so out of touch.

To me em is the epitome of hip hop. He's you're classic back pack rapper. He is hip hop culture in a nutshell. Surely you can't just like em and dislike everything else that isn't white in hip hop

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I was never into rap or Eminem's stuff, but I really respect him for taking a stand like this. It's really good that he makes no bones about where he stands on this matter.

NYCrooner

Watch this last night and went to sleep with smile on my face. Woke up this morning, watch this and went to work with a smile on my face. Got to work, watched it one more time and heading into meeting with boss with a smile on my face. We needed this type of thing from a mainstream artists. Let's keep the conversation going.

I just hate hearing he hasn't been good for years. I'd probably put Bad Guy as one of my top 5 of his tracks. The reveal of it being a sequel to Stan and the few tone shifts in the song are just too damn good.

I love that this is trending so much. Em really pulled no punches and the salt is flowing en masse.

I just hate hearing he hasn't been good for years. I'd probably put Bad Guy as one of my top 5 of his tracks. The reveal of it being a sequel to Stan and the few tone shifts in the song are just too damn good.

I'm not terribly fond of his crass lyrics but when he's on his game, he can spit fire. The people saying that just haven't listened, really.

LordKasual

Banned
Why wouldn't there be?

Does he get shit in community threads or something?

people vocally hate elon musk over here. And Eminem's best music was during the height of his misogynistic homophobe phase.

I'm interested to see how this hate pans out on that end. To see how this hatred compares to the height of his criticism for his lyrics during the early 2000s.

I hate this new flow that Eminem has adopted. I don't know how to describe it. Technically, it's interesting but I don't find it very pleasing to listen to. The cypher he did with Mos Def and Black Thought has an insanely different flow and feel to it that is much more reminiscent of the Eminem whose music I loved.

But, this is less about the technique/music and more about the message which isn't surprising to anyone who listened to Mosh.

Yeah he switches it up, this current "BARS" version of his rapping definitely feels like his weakest version as far as being pleasing. He's kind of evolved into showcasing his actual lyrical talent over flow.

The funny thing about it is that as he improves his lyrical skills, his actual tracks have become somewhat less interesting. But he's no less impressive.

I honestly think the majority of the difference in his sound has been because Dre hasn't been producing him recently.

v3numb

Agreed, the last verse he has where he reflects on all the things he's said and points out his own hypocrisy is pretty damn incredible.

holy shit, that's old school Em level. Maybe I should give MMLP2 a listen

Only about half of the album sounds like that. The other half is either loud pop/rock tinged fluff, or sappy emotional tracks with no replay value. Eminem can definitely still flow when he wants to, but he's also fallen head over heels for this chopped up battle rap flow and has all but lost the ability to make good hooks or vary his tone.

Erv

I would hate to see the other shitty songs you have in your top 5. So many better songs than that. Rock Bottom, If I had, say goodbye to hollywoood, beautiful, halies song, when I'm gone, stir crazy,

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Only about half of the album sounds like that. The other half is either loud pop/rock tinged fluff, or sappy emotional tracks with no replay value. Eminem can definitely still flow when he wants to, but he's also fallen head over heels for this chopped up battle rap flow and has all but lost the ability to make good hooks or vary his tone.

That's disappointing to hear. Eminem Show was the last album of his I checked out and loved, but I'll try this one out anyway.

I would hate to see the other shitty songs you have in your top 5. So many better songs than that. Rock Bottom, If I had, say goodbye to hollywoood, beautiful, halies song, when I'm gone, stir crazy,

Calling that song shitty is just insane to me. I know the early part has some corny ass lyrics that I also hate, but the song as a whole is amazing.

I'd have to really think about a complete too 5 but up there would be Til I Collapse, Criminal, White America, The Way I am, Role Model, Soldier, and a few others that I'm probably forgetting. I'd have to really think on it but my point is I'd consider Bad Guy really fucking good.

Realeza

Banned
Calling that song shitty is just insane to me. I know the early part has some corny ass lyrics that I also hate, but the song as a whole is amazing.

I'd have to really think about a complete too 5 but up there would be Til I Collapse, Criminal, White America, The Way I am, Role Model, Soldier, and a few others that I'm probably forgetting. I'd have to really think on it but my point is I'd consider Bad Guy really fucking good.

You are right, the other guy is on some BS. Chill.

ch4fx_

That's disappointing to hear. Eminem Show was the last album of his I checked out and loved, but I'll try this one out anyway.

Sorry to keep throwing recommendations at you, but this is on MMLP2 & screams old school hip hop.

Like another poster mentioned, all of MMLP2 isn't amazing, but I personally liked it much more than The Eminem Show.

Zakalwe

Banned
The raw feeling here and the stark truths. How can anyone hear this and deny it.

Thank you for this Em, hopefully it will reach some minds.

people vocally hate elon musk over here. And Eminem's best music was during the height of his misogynistic homophobe phase.

I'm interested to see how this hate pans out on that end. To see how this hatred compares to the height of his criticism for his lyrics during the early 2000s.

I'm not a big Eminem fan, but one of the things I like most about him is when you can hear his personal growth in his music. When Headlights came out and he apologized to his mother for always hating her, I remember him saying he can't even listen to Cleaning Out My Closet and he won't even perform it at shows.

Eminem is an artist who has said some really stupid things in his music because it was edgy. Or because it was an easy way to express his hate inside amplified by the fact that he can't get by on his 9-5, etc. I mean, in Without Me, he erroneously refers as menstruating as ovulating. He was definitely a dude with virtually no education and a lot of misplaced hate and confusion. I think there's a lot of things he used to say that he wouldn't say today because he's come a long way from where he started.

Kind of like how Beastie Boys has apologized for songs like Girls and have made their new image around social change and activism.

But I don't know a lot about Eminem or his career or even his musical trajectory. I'm sure there are holes in this perception. But it's something that can't be said about every artist.

Tangentially related, I was at a Paramore concert recently and they did Misery Business and Hayley Williams wouldn't sing the line "you're just a whore nothing more", she held the mic to the audience. My fiance and I were thinking she's might not be comfortable singing that line anymore with how much she's grown as an artist. It felt like she was letting the crowd sing it if they wanted but would rather not sing it herself.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Yeah he switches it up, this current "BARS" version of his rapping definitely feels like his weakest version as far as being pleasing. He's kind of evolved into showcasing his actual lyrical talent over flow.

The funny thing about it is that as he improves his lyrical skills, his actual tracks have become somewhat less interesting. But he's no less impressive.

I honestly think the majority of the difference in his sound has been because Dre hasn't been producing him recently.
I’d agree with this. Especially the part about production. I would be so fucking hyped if we saw that the new Em album was primarily produced by Dre. The production on MMLP2 pales in comparison to his older albums.

Servbot24

Banned

Trump supporters tend to like anyone who is white and has an abrasive personality, especially if they claim to have the perspective of the average joe while still being non-conformist. For example Bill Burr has a huge following among MRA people.

Top Bottom