• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eminem draws the red line in Hip-Hop Awards cypher

Kyoufu

Just saw this video

https://youtu.be/o5dcWQun5ZM

He clearly disliked the freestyle and the reasons he gives are valid. To me it also felt like Em was just following the mainstream of hating on Trump. I'm not saying I support him or like or dislike him, I honestly have no opinion about him because I barely follow the news at all.

Em basically saying you can't be a fan of him if you supported or still support Trump is of course utter horseshit really. And as this guy points out - - > https://youtu.be/F2HwCLm92ns

Trump introducing and endorsing Slim Shady before he performs in 2004. And hey who knows, maybe he genuinely feels this way about Trump but it didn't seem all that genuine to me and at the end of the day as a freestyle it really wasn't all that great at all, he sounded tired as if he was almost reaching for breath at times. Seen him do much much better.

Why is it utter horseshit? Eminem's best friends, peers, colleagues, business partners, you name it, are black. You don't see why he'd have a problem with Trump?

To go about what?

Like I said, he's telling those fans they can't be a fan of him. Basically fuck you, think he even says exactly that.

And like I said before I have barely followed any news, for quite a while now so forgive me for being ignorant on a lot of this. If he was genuine about Trump, Em that is, then ok, but that part about drawing a line..... nah.

Like I said, he's telling those fans they can't be a fan of him. Basically fuck you, think he even says exactly that.

And like I said before I have barely followed any news, for quite a while now so forgive me for being ignorant on a lot of this. If he was genuine about Trump, Em that is, then ok, but that part about drawing a line..... nah.

So we should all hold hands and sing Kumbaya with white supremacist human garbage?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Yes, you said that wasn't the right way to "go about it". What do you think "it" is? What is Eminem's objective in telling fans to fuck off? What's the right way to go about it? For something to not be the right way to go about it, there has to be an "it" you're trying to go about.

Why is it utter horseshit? Eminem's best friends, peers, colleagues, business partners, you name it, are black. You don't see why he'd have a problem with Trump?

Let me put it this way, I have barely followed any of the news and even the elections. So I really know very little about Trump and I can guarantee you that in my country they don't neatly as much focus on it compared to the US, but that's normal.

Nevermind what I said, otherwise I doubt there will be an end to this anytime soon. Clearly I should do some more research on this, and that's OK.

Skatterd

That was the best/most important part and others should follow suit to be quite honest.

Kyoufu

Let me put it this way, I have barely followed any of the news and even the elections. So I really know very little about Trump and I can guarantee you that in my country they don't neatly as much focus on it compared to the US, but that's normal.

I don't live in the US either so I'm not buying that excuse.

You browse NeoGAF, especially its Off-Topic section. You didn't notice all the Trump threads pointing out his BS?

You don't even need to click on the threads, the thread titles should be enough to have some sort of clue.

m23

So you have no idea what Eminem was talking about in his cypher, yet you called it weak. Did you listen to the words at all? Do you know of the issues he talked about?

You don't pay attention to the news yet you were able to call the cypher weak.

That was the best/most important part and others should follow suit to be quite honest.

Agreed 100%.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Good for him. I'll join Eminem and say fuck them too. Trump fans at this point are basically the bottom of the barrel of the USA. Hateful, angry and ignorant.

Nevermind what I said, otherwise I doubt there will be an end to this anytime soon. Clearly I should do some more research on this, and that's OK.

Maybe you should stop talking a topic you are obviously clueless on. This just makes you look foolish and says nothing about Em.

So you have no idea what Eminem was talking about in his cypher, yet you called it weak. Did you listen to the words at all? Do you know of the issues he talked about?

You don't pay attention to the news yet you were able to call the cypher weak.

Hold on now, weak as in the way he rapped it. Not the content. I've heard/seen freestyles of him where he ripped shit apart in terms of flow, aggression, lyrics, etc, THAT was what I meant with it not being really all that dope.

Kyoufu

Hold on now, weak as in the way he rapped it. Not the content. I've heard/seen freestyles of him where he ripped shit apart in terms of flow, aggression, lyrics, etc, THAT was what I meant with it not being really all that dope.

You missed the point entirely then. It was all about the message.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

It's not a rap, it's free verse poetry. Flow is not the point the way it is in a rap. Flow isn't the right way to go about it.

Just saw this video

He clearly disliked the freestyle and the reasons he gives are valid. To me it also felt like Em was just following the mainstream of hating on Trump. I'm not saying I support him or like or dislike him, I honestly have no opinion about him because I barely follow the news at all.

Em basically saying you can't be a fan of him if you supported or still support Trump is of course utter horseshit really. And as this guy points out - - > https://youtu.be/F2HwCLm92ns

Trump introducing and endorsing Slim Shady before he performs in 2004. And hey who knows, maybe he genuinely feels this way about Trump but it didn't seem all that genuine to me and at the end of the day as a freestyle it really wasn't all that great at all, he sounded tired as if he was almost reaching for breath at times. Seen him do much much better.

IT's the same kind of deflection tactics people used against Kaepernick (he just wants attention, he's just jumping on a bandwagon, he's just being divisive! Both sides!) and it's similarly bullshit. Educate yourself.

Maybe you should stop talking a topic you are obviously clueless on.

Which I even admitted to. I said I was ignorant on the topic, should have done some research. So let's just drop it here. Lesson learned for next time, for me that is. I'm a peaceful person and the last person to be praising hateful folks. So again, lesson learned.

Which I even admitted to. I said I was ignorant on the topic, should have done some research. So let's just drop it here. Lesson learned for next time, for me that is.

You could have just watched the video. Em lays it out pretty clearly. He even slowed his flow down so you guys could understand him but I guess it didn't work.

You could have just watched the video. Em lays it out pretty clearly.

I only watched it once and not fully focusing on the lyrics to be completely honest. I mostly was focusing on how he performed it because it's been a while since we had something from Eminem and it may sound weird but I wanted to see if he was gonna shout/scream again and if it was still the Em we all know.

Joe T.

It strikes me as brilliant marketing from an artist that's all about getting reactions, both the positive and the negative. He made the mainstream news and most likely gained more followers than he lost by making that statement. Right now very few people care that he was practically a symbol for misogyny and homophobia, just that he's joined them in their hatred for Trump. It was the perfect opportunity. Now to see how he follows it up.

IT's the same kind of deflection tactics people used against Kaepernick (he just wants attention, he's just jumping on a bandwagon, he's just being divisive! Both sides!) and it's similarly bullshit. Educate yourself.

Except this is Eminem we're talking about. This is what he said after he (not quite) apologized to Lana del Rey three years ago:

“A bad reaction is better than no reaction… I would rather have some kind of reaction. If my music sparks debates or conversations or whatever — be it right, be it wrong or whatever — I would rather have it get a reaction, a bad reaction, than no reaction. ‘Cause no reaction sucks.”

I don't think we've seen Em's hair in years... just putting that out there

3975457372_7b8ebb5004.jpg

It strikes me as brilliant marketing from an artist that's all about getting reactions, both the positive and the negative. He made the mainstream news and most likely gained more followers than he lost by making that statement. Right now very few people care that he was practically a symbol for misogyny and homophobia, just that he's joined them in their hatred for Trump. It was the perfect opportunity. Now to see how he follows it up.

Except this is Eminem we're talking about. This is what he said after he (not quite) apologized to Lana del Rey three years ago:

“A bad reaction is better than no reaction… I would rather have some kind of reaction. If my music sparks debates or conversations or whatever — be it right, be it wrong or whatever — I would rather have it get a reaction, a bad reaction, than no reaction. ‘Cause no reaction sucks.”

3975457372_7b8ebb5004.jpg

I must have missed the Lana stuff. What happened there between the two?

Joe T.

I must have missed the Lana stuff. What happened there between the two?

He had put out a cypher where he rapped about punching her "like Ray Rice" did his then fiance in an elevator. I don't remember if Lana had taken offense to it (they're both part of Interscope), but the media and other artists took Eminem to task for it. It was basically a marketing stunt to draw attention to the "Shady XV" Greatist Hits album release.

He had put out a cypher where he rapped about punching her "like Ray Rice" did his then fiance in an elevator. I don't remember if Lana had taken offense to it (they're both part of Interscope), but the media and other artists took Eminem to task for it. It was basically a marketing stunt to draw attention to the "Shady XV" Greatist Hits album release.

Ah I see, thanks for letting me know.

So I am seeing some minorities getting upset over this and saying what Eminem did was not the right way. I am so confused why people would be against what he did other than Trump supporters.

I know plenty of people, including myself, aren't going to slob Eminem down but find it cool enough. I haven't seen anyone but Trump people say Em didn't go about this the right way... those could have been fake accounts

pixelation

I don't live in the US either so I'm not buying that excuse.

You browse NeoGAF, especially its Off-Topic section. You didn't notice all the Trump threads pointing out his BS?

You don't even need to click on the threads, the thread titles should be enough to have some sort of clue.

PREACH.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard

How

the FUCK

can you be indifferent

FyreWulff

"just saw this video"

25 minutes long youtube link

video uploader is a GG type

poster is claiming ignorance and wants topic they know nothing about explained to them but for some reason they're always in the threads about the topic?

We've seen this before, many times. I'm not watching the video. It's up to you to summarize a video if you're going to blindly link one that's 25 minutes long. Or stop using a tactic so crusty it's got fossils in it.

Jonnax

"just saw this video"

25 minutes long youtube link

video uploader is a GG type

poster is claiming ignorance and wants topic they know nothing about explained to them but for some reason they're always in the threads about the topic?

We've seen this before, many times. I'm not watching the video. It's up to you to summarize a video if you're going to blindly link one that's 25 minutes long. Or stop using a tactic so crusty it's got fossils in it.

I'm sure they'll also tell you they don't pay attention to the news and explain how GamerGate is about ethics in games journalism.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Just saw this video

what kind of bullshit-ass youtube channels are you linking to? How did you even find this shit?

You "barely follow the news at all", but you managed to randomly find some tiny-ass "anti-SJW" channel on Youtube where you can point out a black dude shitting on Eminem for saying this?

Bullshit, dude. You aren't fooling anybody.

Why in the holy living fuck are you posting about what Eminem should or shouldn’t do if you’re completely ignorant about what he’s doing in the first place? You have absolutely no idea what you’re saying yet you’re passing judgment. What made you think it was a good idea to do that?

I don’t believe a word of this shit. You’re transparent as hell.

Alo0oy

Banned
So I am seeing some minorities getting upset over this and saying what Eminem did was not the right way. I am so confused why people would be against what he did other than Trump supporters.

Keep in mind that a lot of MAGA people use fake PoC avatars.

That's true and like I said and admitted I don't follow much of the news. So I can't say all this hate on him is warranted or not, but I don't know man, it didn't seem all that real to me what Em did here.

Nope no artist does that because you're pretty much alienating your fanbase. You seriously find it a good thing he's telling his fans they can't be a fan of his music or him because they happend to have voted for Trump? I agree with the YouTube guy, that's not the right way to go about it.

Look I don't live in the USA, but if I did and I found out a friend of mine had voted for him. Should I have abandoned the guy? Told him to basically buzz off? I just don't believe that's the right way.

There is nobody in the world who doesn’t know who or what kind of man Donald Trump is.

Even the most out of touch old lady in the corner of south east Asia knows what kind of man Donald Trump is.

TheContact

Just saw this video

To be fair I don’t think anyone knew what a shit show 45 was until he became President

To be fair I don’t think anyone knew what a shit show 45 was until he became President

We didn't know how far the Republicans would go to enable Trump, but he was loud and clear about being driven by racism. His entire political career was built on race-baiting Obama about his birth certificate. His primary and general campaigns were just him rambling on and on about how Muslim immigrants are the reason everything is fucked up, and how we need to build a wall between us and the Mexican rapists. Nobody who voted for him gets to claim ignorance about his white supremacist views.

Russian bots and inbred alt righters.

Also, you know what's even cooler than shitting on Trump these days? Shitting on someone trying to do something good.

Look at the McFarlane thread. Look at the Fiery thread. Look at this thread. Mofos who shit on everything are so edgy and cool, congrats...

Kusagari

Imagine trying to play this off. Nobody is falling your act.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Got people bringing up eminems past to discredit what hes saying to day all on my timeline.

The irony they cant forget his applogies but forgive trump, when trump once supported eminem.

Hypocrites.

Anyways, 8.6 million views. It was at 2mil just a few hours ago.

Top Bottom