• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eminem has a new album - Kamikaze

bitbydeath

Was not expecting a new album so soon, didn't think much of the last one.
Listening now.

Eminem-Kamikaze-758x758.jpg

1. The Ringer
2. Greatest
3. Lucky You (feat. Joyner Lucas)
4. Paul - Skit
5. Normal
6. Em Calls Paul - Skit
7. Stepping Stone
8. Not Alike (feat. Royce Da 5'9)
9. Fall
10. Kamikaze
11. Nice Guy (feat. Jessie Reyez)
12. Good Guy (feat. Jessie Reyez)
13. Venom - Music From The Motion Picture

Last edited:
anywhere to listen to even a preview?

Youtube is just throwing up lyric videos that feature no audio only text or instrumentals. Never seen anything like it before with an album release.

Edit: Nevermind. Dont care.

Hes trying to take a moral high-ground over Trump.

Superman aint saving shit, right shady?

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
His last album was not only his worst album, but easily one of the worst things I've heard in years. I really think it's time to hang up the hat, Slim. MMLP2 was actually surprisingly okay for what it was, it should've stopped there.

Last edited:

Nosgotham

Didn't like revival but this is good, real good. Honestly Eminem been on a downward state since recovery imo. This is his best album since encore and relapse (which are my favorites btw). He's just going in, not really caring and it's fire.

DeSo

Banned
The guy hasn't made a good album in over a decade. Just stop.

There are hundreds of hip hop artists putting out better content than Eminem at this point.

Last edited:

DryvBy

so is this teenage angst eminem or is this im a fun goofy rapper eminem

This is "I'm at the top of my game" Eminem. It's way better than 2017 but not anywhere near as good as his earlier stuff. It's just pop rap with him doing diss tracks. And politics yet again.

Kacho

It's alright. Feels like a mondern take on his older stuff. Haven't encountered any of the corny ass inspirational pop garbage yet which is a plus.

Last edited:

DryvBy

I'm listening to this album and he censored himself saying a certain homophobic slur. Lol, why even write it if you're gonna censor yourself?

its cool, i just dont love many of the beats really, bout halfway through it though....

i like stepping stone and the ringer so far

Last edited:

Mahadev

Em is back, the album is fucking amazing I must have listened to it 5 times already. My favourite song from the album right now is Stepping Stone, God I miss D12.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Sadly the best song is ruined by his obsession of calling people fags.
Not alike :/

Which one is that?

Em is back, the album is fucking amazing I must have listened to it 5 times already. My favourite song from the album right now is Stepping Stone, God I miss D12.

Same, I wish Em would get Proof’s songs up on Spotify. He had some really good solo tracks and it’d be a shame for them to fade into obscurity.

octiny

Banned
Sadly the best song is ruined by his obsession of calling people fags.
Not alike :/

He didn't call anyone a fag, he reiterated what someone literally called himself, Tyler the Creator "pie_tears_joy: "I see why you called yourself a faggot"

Definitely one of my fav em albums. Album is absolute fire. Takes aim at everyone with no fucks given & absolutely torches mumble rap by using their own flow against them, while doing it better with bars on bar on bars. He absolutely murders MGK on Not Alike for calling his daughter Hallie "hot as fuck" on twitter while she was 16 and he was 21. Absolutely love the subliminal diss to Drake on Normal with the flow & beat. Ahhh, he just murders everything on the Album.

Youtube reactions have been absolutely hilarious on how good it is, in a good way.

Ringer, Fall, Lucky You, Stepping Stone, Greatest, Not Alike, Kamikaze.Venom is going on my gym playlist. 9/10 easily.

Only song I don't like is Nice Guy.

I lol'd at this chart.

s4cy33iupwj11.png

Last edited:
I didn't like nice guy or good guy, but I think pretty much everything else makes this the best overall album he's released since his second LP. I'm shocked at how strong this album is.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
His last album was not only his worst album, but easily one of the worst things I've heard in years. I really think it's time to hang up the hat, Slim. MMLP2 was actually surprisingly okay for what it was, it should've stopped there.
Okay, following up my own post with the admission that Em's gone from his worst album ever to his best in 16 years. It's still not even remotely close to his original output, but it's damn good in parts. Back third is pretty weak though.

bitbydeath

Okay, following up my own post with the admission that Em's gone from his worst album ever to his best in 16 years. It's still not even remotely close to his original output, but it's damn good in parts. Back third is pretty weak though.

I need to re-listen to the back half again, but so far everything after stepping stone isn’t doing it for me.

jadedm17

Nowhere Fast and Like Home are some of my favorite Eminem songs and I've been here since the beginning: Eminem is the only artist I buy the CD every release since MM LP. What wasn't to like about Revival? I'm confused at the hate.

Can you elaborate? I personally have found it one of his strongest overall as far as quality throughout.

bitbydeath

I didn't like nice guy or good guy, but I think pretty much everything else makes this the best overall album he's released since his second LP. I'm shocked at how strong this album is.

Actually, I don't mind it.
Listening again now and it has a bit of an American Horror Story theme going on in the back which I'm liking.

AV

Can you elaborate? I personally have found it one of his strongest overall as far as quality throughout.

I've never been a fan of his late-career scattershot delivery (still present somewhat), the production is garbage compared everything that came before (it honestly sounds incomplete and rushed to me), can't think of a single memorable hook, some wildly misjudged and cringey subject matter (how can I be such a great dad but such a bad husband?!), getting outshone by guest spots, etc. etc.

It just really wasn't for me. I haven't been a big fan of anything he's done for a very long time, though I didn't mind MMLP2. I think Kamikaze is significantly stronger but he's still a shadow of his former self. MMLP is still top 5 hip-hop albums of all time for me.

Mahadev

I've never been a fan of his late-career scattershot delivery (still present somewhat), the production is garbage compared everything that came before (it honestly sounds incomplete and rushed to me), can't think of a single memorable hook, some wildly misjudged and cringey subject matter (how can I be such a great dad but such a bad husband?!), getting outshone by guest spots, etc. etc.

It just really wasn't for me. I haven't been a big fan of anything he's done for a very long time, though I didn't mind MMLP2. I think Kamikaze is significantly stronger but he's still a shadow of his former self. MMLP is still top 5 hip-hop albums of all time for me.

Look who produced his album this time and who did the few times before Kamikaze, one name is missing this time: Rick fucking Rubin.

Dr Dre is a fucking genius, I have no fucking idea why Em started relying on Rubin in the first place. Maybe Dre was too busy?

RainblowDash

Gold Member
The guy hasn't made a good album in over a decade. Just stop.

There are hundreds of hip hop artists putting out better content than Eminem at this point.

For me his sound is fairly unique and I like it.

Bought the album on iTunes, liking it so far.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Album is pretty good. I listened to it a few times already.

MGK responded with this...

Last edited:

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
This is my first time hearing anything from MGK...can't say I hate it. The weird little auto-tune during the chorus feels completely unnecessary.

Think his punches felt a little weak, but I don't think it was awful. Not to mention he apparently made this in a few days?

BANGS

Banned
I'm a few tracks in and it's already better than Revival by a mile.
So... 9 Mile???

Anyways I'd love to listen to the album but Em says I can't listen to his music because I don't suffer from Trump Derangement Syndrome... oh well...

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I thought the album was a C+ type album. Above average, which is good considering he's been in the game for 20 years. But where did he diss Joe Budden?

jadedm17

Album is pretty good. I listened to it a few times already.

MGK responded with this...

Good luck swinging upwards; Eminem has been fire for decades, let's see who's talking about MGK at 45 (in 2035). You can take shots but Eminem will always be far above you.

I love Like Home

Nowhere Fast

Castle

I get "shadow of his former self" but even he admits its the struggle that made him, he had to evolve now that he's rich and famous. It amazes me because even after all these years he's still better than most of the stuff put out there at least in the mainstream. He'll never be what he was but thats more of a testament to how incredible he used to be, the bar is too high.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Em takes the crown for me for as far as “old” rappers go (Snoop, Dre etc.) you really can’t touch all his intangibles but than you got guys like Kendrick and Drake who can go 2-3 albums deep without a miss.

I_D

Jay-Z's last album shits all over this...

Ever since Big L and Finesse crushed Jay-Z, even while featuring him, I haven't thought he was all that special. Compared to the all-time-greats (Pac, Biggie, Nas, Big L, Pun, RZA, Kane, Rakim, etc.) he's yet to prove himself. Jay-Z just happens to be an expert entrepreneur, but he's never compared to his competition. He's obviously WAY better than modern-rappers, but that's not saying much; my toddler cousin mumbles better than the current shit does.

I haven't listened to Kamikaze enough to properly analyze it, but I can already tell that "shits all over this" is an exaggeration. When comparing their primes, Jay-Z isn't even in the same sport as Em.

Last edited:

DeSo

Banned
I wasn't comparing their primes, I was comparing their albums.

Eminem has never released an album as good as Reasonable Doubt. I don't care how good a rapper he is (Em is one of the best), hip hop is more than just how well you can rap.

And yes, 4:44 shits all over this album.

Last edited:
Eminem lost any credibility when he got those botox injections.

Oh and coming out Anti-Trump so long after he was elected......he's so edgy!

20 years ago he had the world at his feet. Now he is just middle aged and just boring.

BANGS

Banned
Eminem lost any credibility when he got those botox injections.

Oh and coming out Anti-Trump so long after he was elected......he's so edgy!

20 years ago he had the world at his feet. Now he is just middle aged and just boring.
20 years ago he was pissing on the mainstream establishment, now he IS the mainstream establishment...

Top Bottom