• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emo Music |OT| Non-Conforming as Can Be

new Propagandhi and new Worriers in the same day, it's like christmas

Worriers are playing a house show here next month... pretty stoked for it.

Cayetana is next week, but I won't be able to make it.

Hotelier in November.

Dead Bars (just pure fun punk, in the mix for my AotY because of it) are toward the end Oct.

And I still need to decide if I want to take the invitation to crash on the floor of a dude I haven't talked to in years so I can make the Fest.

smisk

Anyone listened to the new Front Bottoms album? There are some good songs but my first impression is that it's a little too poppy/produced for me, definitely has more electronic instruments than their previous albums. Brian's voice seems to be tweaked in some of the songs too, honestly reminds me of latter-day Weezer in some ways. Still enjoying it, though I don't think they'll ever top the S/T album.

Kawl_USC

Anyone listened to the new Front Bottoms album? There are some good songs but my first impression is that it's a little too poppy/produced for me, definitely has more electronic instruments than their previous albums. Brian's voice seems to be tweaked in some of the songs too, honestly reminds me of latter-day Weezer in some ways. Still enjoying it, though I don't think they'll ever top the S/T album.
Yea last sentence hits it for me. I got through about half of it before just going back to listen to self titled. I like talon a lot well and there 3 eps are awesome for how unproduced they are. But I think after back on top and this one I'm pretty done with em

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Yeah, I feel you. Their lyrics have regressed a bunch, and the new album is over-produced. While bands like MoBo grow lyrically and musically, I feel like the Front Bottoms are just falling flat and catering to a much younger crowd now, sadly.

I'll also be seeing them tomorrow, so hopefully they don't just play Going Grey songs.

Kawl_USC

Yeah, I feel you. Their lyrics have regressed a bunch, and the new album is over-produced. While bands like MoBo grow lyrically and musically, I feel like the Front Bottoms are just falling flat and catering to a much younger crowd now, sadly.

I'll also be seeing them tomorrow, so hopefully they don't just play Going Grey songs.
Agreed completely. It's why modern stayed one of my favorite bands with the perfect cast and Holy Ghost while I haven't listened to the front bottoms in ages.

Looks like You Blew It is doing a few more shows then hanging em up for the foreseeable future. Shitty, they were one of my favourites and one of the bands that got me (back) into the genre.

smisk

In spite of my earlier not entirely positive impression of Going Grey, I've been getting the songs stuck in my head a lot. I think about half of the songs on the album are really great, but I still think many of them sound too poppy and overproduced, especially when they manipulate Brian's voice.
It'll be interesting to see how they sound live, I'm seeing them at the end of November.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
In spite of my earlier not entirely positive impression of Going Grey, I've been getting the songs stuck in my head a lot. I think about half of the songs on the album are really great, but I still think many of them sound too poppy and overproduced, especially when they manipulate Brian's voice.
It'll be interesting to see how they sound live, I'm seeing them at the end of November.

I was just gonna post a similar update, hah. I think if you've been with them since the beginning, this is the first immediately difficult album to get into, but once you go through a few times, there are some really fun and solid songs. Peace Sign and Far Drive are my two favorites, and the only song that's really unlistenable to me is Bae.

Also, these songs all sound so much fucking better live--I caught a half hour set they did this past weekend, and they sounded phenomenal.

Top Bottom