• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Empire: Total War - Official Thread

mr stroke

Waikis said:
:D :D
w0ovx0.jpg

nlbscl.jpg

2vw8u9j.jpg

Holly shit! now thats a CE!!!!!!!!!! fucking beautiful!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
mr stroke said:
Holly shit! now thats a CE!!!!!!!!!! fucking beautiful!

No shit. Why does the US always fail in the department.

JP is the land of console CE

EU is the land of PC CE

traveler

Not Wario
Good God. That is one CE I would have actually bought. And I NEVER buy CEs. (With the possible exception of Blizzard games.)

Bulla564

Banned
I NEED TO GET THROUGH MTW2 AGAIN STAT!!!

I posted this in another thread, but as a history nutcase, I have a notebook where I write the main events during the campaigns in these TW games, as if I am writing down the great battles, the history, growth, advancement, decay, or near destruction of a particular civilization.

By now I'm near the end of Rome Barbarian Invasion period, by 420 AD, and I can read back to 270 BC as to how the early Julii became the now the ailing, yet once powerful Western Roman Empire. Crazy? yes. Time consuming? yup. Interesting in a nerdy way? you bet.

I refuse to play Empire:TW before I can tie in this entire lineage dating back to Roman times.

Surfheart

The game is very good but sometimes friendly unit AI makes me want smash things! especially sieging forts.

Hopefully a patch soon.

chico

Surfheart said:
The game is very good but sometimes friendly unit AI makes me want smash things! especially sieging forts.

Hopefully a patch soon.

isnt there a patch already, right after installing the game?
still waiting for my copy...

hope there will be a patch soon that unlocks all non-playable factions so i can play with Portugal (and free the iberian peninsula!) :D

Forsete

Gold Member
It took a while but now I am in my first war. I'm playing as Sweden so I attacked Prussia, took Berlin without any major issues (put it under siege, he made two attempts to attack me (with civilian mobs, lol) but I mowed them down, love the defensive stuff you can build.

Now I'm going to see if I can destroy his navy.

The game is damned fun, not just fighting but upgrading your empire and moving around your "gentlemen".. Make sure to visit schools all around Europe to level them up, then move them back to your university to speed up the research.

Steeven

Forsete said:
The game is damned fun, not just fighting but upgrading your empire and moving around your "gentlemen".. Make sure to visit schools all around Europe to level them up, then move them back to your university to speed up the research.

Sounds like boring micro-management to me. What about diplomatics? Is it fixed? Does an ally attack you even if you have an alliance?

Steeven

Well I read some classic TW forums about the experiences of people who bought the game. I think my main concerns with the whole series, which started with Rome, haven't been fixed at all:

As they are listed as "meager" in power, i also demand the one piece of technology that i dont have, and they agree to a ceasefire. The very next turn they declare war on me again.

This shit is just ridiculous.

My worst fear has been realized, complete and utter lack of diversity in units for the Factions. One "unique" unit isn't going to cut it for me, that just seems so damn lazy. This is what I feared most when Total War went to this time period.

No wonder Creative Assembly wasn't to eager to dive into the Napoleonic Era. I have bought a boxset with all Total War games (because I love Medieval and Shogun) and with it came some discs with special stuff, like interviews. Employees of CA really want to make a Fantasy: Total War game, but I guess Sega won't let them (yet).

Also I'm Allied with France and their protectorate declares war on me

:lol

Don't take me wrong, it could be a nice game, I haven't played it myself still, but I'm not eager too either. I'm just sad about this confirmation about the possible assassination of Total War. Aren't there any TW freaks on GAF who could explain a little more? People who play the series since Shogun?

Doytch

I dunno, first impressions thread on twcenter.net seems generally positive.

And I'm pretty sure the guy talking about unique units is wrong:

Unit Rosters

BRITAIN

Light Infantry
Rangers
Green Jackets
Black Watch Infantry
Guards
Coldstream Guards
Ferguson Riflemen
Grenadiers

Lifeguards
Hussars
Dragoons
Heavy Cavalry
Light Dragoons

Austria

Jaegers
Grenadiers
Grenzers
Line Infantry
Windbusche Jaegers
Guards

Carabineers
Hungarian Hussars
Light Dragoons
Uhlans
Curiassiers
Household Cavarly

France

Chasseurs a Pied
Coureurs de Bois
Tirailleurs
Grenadiers
Line Infantry
Infanterie Vieux
Royal Ecossais
Maison du Roi

Chassuers a Cheval
Carabineers
Chevauz-legers
Curiassiers
Garde du Corps

Spain

Frontiersmen
Cazadores
Grenadiers
Line Infantry
Guards

Carabineers
Light Dragoons
Regiment of Horse
Curiassiers
Household Cavalry

Russia

Light Infantry
Siberian Hunters
Riflemen
Cossack Infantry
Hand Mortar Company
Line Infantry
Guards

Dragoons
Hussars
Regiment of Horse
Light Dragoons
Cossacks
Cossack Ataman Cavalry
Household Cavalry

All of the above rosters also contain 4-6 pieces of artillery, a militia unit and the generals bodyguard.

Probably more, dude on twcenter did a quick post. (Line Infantry is avail to all factions)

e: Here's a link to the aforementioned First Impressions thread on twcenter.net

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Steeven said:
Employees of CA really want to make a Fantasy: Total War game, but I guess Sega won't let them (yet).
This would be just about awesome and would totally alleviate my constant cry for Three Kingdoms: Total War.

Wanted to go pick up the game earlier this afternoon but was busy with other matters... going to pick it up tomorrow and I'll put in my 2cents on how diplomacy and the such works in this game since that is one of my more favoured aspects of the series.

Forsete

Gold Member
Steeven said:
Sounds like boring micro-management to me. What about diplomatics? Is it fixed? Does an ally attack you even if you have an alliance?

No more micro-management than moving your generals around drafting cannon fodder.

Forsete said:
No more micro-management than moving your generals around drafting cannon fodder.

This is still in the game? I thought that recruitment and reinforcement had moved to the field in this release, preventing the sort of troop ferrying that was required.

Either way I shouldn't have to spend turn after turn microing ten or fifteen or what not gentlemen around so they can go to school. There should be an 'auto-educate' automation button that I can use on them and then a interface panel I can use to "awaken" them when I need one. This kind of micromanagement - the moving around of 20 or so units every turn while managing the build and taxation of 30+ regions - is what turned M2TW into hell after the halfway point (well that combined with the retard battle AI that you could only lose to if you brought a terribly composed army).

Note again I have no qualms with micromanagement in general, provided that it is one of the tool to carry out meaningful decisions and not a delivery mechanism for needless tedium.

Doytch

Fragamemnon said:
This is still in the game? I thought that recruitment and reinforcement had moved to the field in this release, preventing the sort of troop ferrying that was required.

Either way I shouldn't have to spend turn after turn microing ten or fifteen or what not gentlemen around so they can go to school. There should be an 'auto-educate' automation button that I can use on them and then a interface panel I can use to "awaken" them when I need one. This kind of micromanagement - the moving around of 20 or so units every turn while managing the build and taxation of 30+ regions - is what turned M2TW into hell after the halfway point (well that combined with the retard battle AI that you could only lose to if you brought a terribly composed army).

You can hit reinforce on your army, and they'll auto-reinforce, but your army has to stay stationary. So they took out the old way of doing it.

Any truth to the reports that the Steam version doesn't have a manual in it or via right-click? If true, what a total joke.

Doytch

I've heard the manual in the box is garbage, anyway. That's disappointing. I like the big manuals in vast strategy games, and this one just covered the basics.

Doytch said:
I've heard the manual in the box is garbage, anyway. That's disappointing. I like the big manuals in vast strategy games, and this one just covered the basics.

Even then there should be a decent PDF manual with everything all laid out in better detail in it. Unless they are content to completely not document their product at all (y halo thar sins of a solar empire: entrenchment).

VALIS

Fragamemnon said:
Any truth to the reports that the Steam version doesn't have a manual in it or via right-click? If true, what a total joke.

No, it doesn't. I'd stop buying games from Steam if I wasn't such a lazy convenience whore. I've been really down on them lately.

VALIS said:
No, it doesn't. I'd stop buying games from Steam if I wasn't such a lazy convenience whore. I've been really down on them lately.

I've soured to Steam something fierce over the last few months myself. It's one saving grace for me right now is X3 Terran Conflict, nerd game of the forever.

~Kinggi~

Banned
So what happens with my copy if steam activation isnt working, or if steam went away? Total bullshit this whole online activation system. IO got a damn copy i should be able to install it.

This is keeping me from buying the game.

The only games ive bought off steam are half life related to support valve. But screw this other stuff.

Any cracks available?

Fragamemnon said:

Yeah, there's no manual (at the moment) on steam but is not a problem because the manual is really useless (and this is the real shame!). You can learn all you need via advisor and the Road to Liberty campaign.

BTW, this is my seventh days with E:TW. The game is awesome except some problem you already know (pathfinding on naval side and some strange behavior with the IA in ground battles). I also have some problem with my videocard (system tell me"video card out of memory" but my 9800Gx2 1gb have a lot of memory, much then me!) but only after a couple of hours of gameplay.

But this is not important, not like the game itself, and E:TW really impressed me especially the new campaign map and how the game menage region and city.

I started with united provinces and my first moves was explore the territory around my two colony, this put me against a lot of pirates vessels. Now I'm in war with spain, trying to estabilish a good relationship with France because soon or later I have to ask back new york from the hands of my english friends.

Thankyou CA!

Steeven

Doytch said:
I dunno, first impressions thread on twcenter.net seems generally positive.

And I'm pretty sure the guy talking about unique units is wrong:

Probably more, dude on twcenter did a quick post. (Line Infantry is avail to all factions)

e: Here's a link to the aforementioned First Impressions thread on twcenter.net

Sure, the units have lots of names, but basically they're all more of the same. Can't blame CA though, it's just the period.

Also, I wouldn't rely too much on twcenter.net. Back in the days when Rome was announced it was a great forum with a lot of die hard Total War-fans, but over the years these people disappeared and fanboys came marching in. There are hardly people left over there who are skeptical about the genre. Most people there even can't stand some fair criticism against CA or one of their games.

I think you can just do the activation once and banish steam forever to offline mode and it doesn't check again. I wouldn't worry too much about them going away-even if they do and collapse in such a way that they can't release a client patch to allow people to play their games, haxxors will find a way around it.

Man I hate the TW advisors and the Road to Independence campaign sounds sorta icky-part of the draw of the game for me is to smash America's awful democratic experiment before it even starts.

In Empire it's not about the amout of different units on fields but how you advance in tech tree and gain access at different weapons and new formations and strategies.

speedpop said:
This would be just about awesome and would totally alleviate my constant cry for Three Kingdoms: Total War.

NOTHING could alleviate my constant cry for that. Essentially, every strategy game that's out there, I want a 3 Kingdoms Version. I actually started on design docs for a Civ IV 3 Kingdoms Mod, but ended up scrapping it.

Kind of constantly hoping for one for Mount and Blade too...

Forsete

Gold Member
Meh the AI is pissing me off big time. Smells like civilisation AI to me. Everyone is totally unreliable, the negotiation process is very unrealistic.

You have to pay out of your ass to get anything. The AI switches back and forth, on every issue it seems.

The AI also seems overly aggressive, with a huge ego. I was occupying ½ of Prussia, I had destroyed his fleet and his biggest army.. he has no allies and is at war with me and 3 others (not counting pirates etc) but as Denmark had declared war on me I wanted to sue for peace.. however the totally defeated AI of Prussia didn't want that. He even denied a White Peace! WTF.

Yeah it seems the grand campaign AI isn't as advanced as I hoped it would be.. far faaar away from Paradox games. Its more like a simple Civilisation AI with simple objectives not based on history at all.

So I am a bit let down by this. The combat is still awesome, even the sea combat rocks.

KR3W

Banned
Still at 2%.....I can't wait to play this.

It's pretty sad that this thread has little to no replies. goddam.

Damn I want that flask and compass. Won't be able to pick it up until Friday as it is, so stoked though. Post some pics ye happy imperialists!

Mkliner

KR3W said:
lolwut? I've been getting consistently good speeds while dowloading this game. goddam.

I came back from class and it was at 95% and then it randomly went to zero and now it's going at like 50 KB/s

gola

Anybody got some beginners tips? I just started a campaign as Sweden and there is just so much stuff to take in having not played the earlier games in the series. How long should I lay low and build forces before starting to declare war on my neighbors?!

Zachack

gola said:
Anybody got some beginners tips? I just started a campaign as Sweden and there is just so much stuff to take in having not played the earlier games in the series. How long should I lay low and build forces before starting to declare war on my neighbors?!
I don't think any of us know (because we're all at work after leaving it to DL last night) and a lot probably depends on whether or not CI actually is trying to mimic political behavior of that time or if they just screwed up diplomacy.

Forsete

Gold Member
gola said:

Make sure you have a stable economy (aka research and upgrade your iron mines, timber and fur cabins, expand docks and upgrade farms).. if that goes to hell everything does. Apparently they have not heard of loans in this parallel universe.

If your economy goes to shit you'll have to downsize the military, which will suck.
So make sure you go 1500-2000 plus even before thinking of going to war, just to have some head room.

I had my first war around 1715.
Oh and try to take care of Denmark first. Their navy is a pain in the ass and you wont have to worry about the entire western front (Norway, and Danish landing in Skåne).

Also you should try and have a nice fleet to protect your harbours and trade routes.

RayStorm

Waikis said:
:D :D
[boxes of awesome]

Okay, so I'm not that interested in the game itself (shame on me!) but that CE... I need it! Where can I get it?
All I can find is the Special Forced Edition, apparently without the wooden box and the other awesomeness included.

Edit: Am I right in imagining, that this is an Australian EBgames exclusive?

traveler

Not Wario
I must be doing something wrong. Game looks pretty bad and I'm running it on near all settings at highest. These are, quite possibly, the worst looking trees I've seen in a game in the past half decade and there's a weird effect going on at the edges of everything, even with AA at full. Anyone have any idea what might be causing these problems?

Edit: OK. I turned off distortion effects and ambient lighting and it looks quite a bit better now. All the foliage looks still looks rough though.

Ok so much for figuring it out without needing the manual :lol

I've got a fleet sitting in a trade port in the east indies, and I can't figure out how to move them. Other fleets move fine. This one has east indiamen ships in it, and they have a little "1" icon in the upper right. I thought maybe that was a counter for how long until they finished a trade mission or something, but several turns have come and gone and they are still unmoveable. I can't seem to do anything with them at all. Anyone know what's up with them?

Also, I have a gentleman and a missionary. I had a rake, but was too aggressive with him and now I don't. The missionary and the rake were easy to figure out, but the Gentleman, at this point, seems to serve no purpose. He has a button for dueling, but it's always gray (not that I particularly want to duel anyway).

Anyway, a bit confused. There's now a LINK to the manual on the steam store page (no right clicky link yet), but it won't open for me.

traveler

Not Wario
Just got into a nice battle in the campaign when the whole game crashed at the sight of 2000 soldiers on screen. Wow, this game totally destroys my comp. :lol

Did not expect this after I've played and enjoyed Crysis and the Relic RTSes on High - Ultra High and enjoyed them. (For reference, I've got a C2D 3.2 processor- forgot the model number- 4 GB of RAM, and a 8800 GTX. I'm guessing the processor is my problem?)

Guess I'll just turn it down and deal with the ugly textures. I didn't buy this for eye candy anyways, I suppose.

Top Bottom