• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

End of Eternity News thread (Sega x tri-Ace, 360/PS3)

jeremy1456

Aeana said:
Someday, you will all realize that random battles are superior.

I would agree with you, but that's not always true...

Have you ever played a little game called Cosmic Fantasy 2? Now I love random encounters just as much as the next guy, but fuck...

Aeana

jeremy1456 said:
I would agree with you, but that's not always true...

Have you ever played a little game called Cosmic Fantasy 2? Now I love random encounters just as much as the next guy, but fuck...
Cosmic Fantasy 2 is just a crappy game.

Lightning

Banned
I was really interested in this game until I read "Random encounters"....

I hate random encounters. I guess I will wait and see and hope for the best in regards to quality.

Starfire

Love the art style, very old-school PS1 era Square (yeah, I know that isn't really old-school).

Seems to have all the right elements to pique my interest. Now let's just hope Tri-Ace do an okay job with it (the last Tri-Ace game I've played was SO3, so I have no idea how IU and SO4 went.)

Personally, I miss having a big open-field map to explore ala PS1 FFs, so this kinda hits the FF7-8 nostalgia buttons a little, and as long as they aern't too tedious semi-realtime random battles don't sound too bad.

Color me interested.

Hype meter:

- New RPG +20
- PS3/360 +10
- machinery world setting +30
- Mature characters: Zaphyr (17 yr old), partner: Vashyron (26 yr old) +20
- Machinery gun battle seems to be the theme of the game? +10
- semi-real time battle system +20
- Sega/Tri-Ace -5
- random encounters -15

score: 90
description: awesome

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
People are just pussies. Thats right, pussies!

Random encounters wont make or break this game

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
HK-47 said:
People are just pussies. Thats right, pussies!

Random encounters wont make or break this game
Especially random encounters that only happen on the world map.

I mean hey, sometimes they can even be really cool like the random world map encounters in Fallout 1 & 2 and Arcanum.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Random encounters are weak. It's such bullshit and it's just pisspoor effort from the programmers. It's only fine when it's remake of old games AKA the DQDS titles.

Nirolak said:
Especially random encounters that only happen on the world map.

I mean hey, sometimes they can even be really cool like the random world map encounters in Fallout 1 & 2 and Arcanum.
Baldur's gate had some as well. They work as long as they don't dominate the game.

klee123

M°°nblade said:
Hype meter:

- New RPG +20
- PS3/360 +10
- machinery world setting +30
- Mature characters: Zaphyr (17 yr old), partner: Vashyron (26 yr old) +20
- Machinery gun battle seems to be the theme of the game? +10
- semi-real time battle system +20
- Sega/Tri-Ace -5
- random encounters -15

score: 90
description: awesome

How is Sega/Tri-ace a bad thing?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
forcing Tri-Ace to put all their JRPG exclusively on Xbox 360 cost SE a good Developer .

Nice fishing for SEGA , and with Platinum games and others , SEGA is on the right way :D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I think Tri Ace are hacks but then I saw the setting and got excited.

Then I saw Random Battles. Fucking lame. Do not want.

Yet another Tri Ace game I shall skip.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I hate random encounters but it seems like tri-Ace are trying to leverage something between the two. I'm fine if its purely on the world map.

Agalloch

JEKKI said:
oh man... Sega making the comeback hard!!

Shiren the Wanderer, Crush, Mad World, Valkyria, Yakuza 2, Bleach DS, Phantasy Star PSP...

and that's jus what's on shelves now!!

9.9.09 confirmed!!!

too bad NiGHTS on Wii sucked :(

And a lot of SONIC games !!
C'mon...SONIC!!!
Ah..Sega, don't reduce your mascotte in your shame,
this gen hate Sonic

Ananaz

Setting and art direction looks quite nice, screens reminded me a bit of Shadow Hearts on the first glance. Still, any tri-Ace game that isn't Valkyrie Profile only warrants cautious interest from me. :i

Totobeni said:
forcing Tri-Ace to put all their JRPG exclusively on Xbox 360 cost SE a good Developer .
You mean all.. two of them? Now where's the jump-to-conclusions mat when you need it?

Dina

Random encounters is just lazy programming. It doesn't break the game, but I don't see why anyone is defending this.

firex

jman2050 said:
If this succeeds you know what's next. Phantasy Star V baby!

:(
oh god, don't let tri-Ace fuck up Phantasy Star. it's bad enough that some part of Sonic Team already turned it into a shitty online Diablo clone.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Sounds good, and this mix of random/"real time" battles should be very fun as I like both.

Anyway, saving myself from getting too hyped until an EU release is 1000% confirmed, after ToV (I FUCKING HATE YOU NAMCO BANDAI!!) I have lost all faith in jRPG localisations.
Paracelsus said:
As long as it's not a TPS with lvl and stats, count me in.
Hey, a TPS/traditional RPG hybrid would be awesome, well I would love it.

batbeg

Stop It said:
Sounds good, and this mix of random/"real time" battles should be very fun as I like both.

Anyway, saving myself from getting too hyped until an EU release is 1000% confirmed, after ToV (I FUCKING HATE YOU NAMCO BANDAI!!) I have lost all faith in jRPG localisations.

ToV is coming in June, with dual-audio no less.

Paracelsus

Stop It said:

._.

It's Sega, no doubt it'll get released over here. The only Sega game you should be afraid of never seeing released is Yakuza.

Hey, a TPS/traditional RPG hybrid would be awesome, well I would love it.

Don't get me wrong, I like TPSs, I just have a bad feeling remembering the last time a Jrpg dev made an action-TPS.

Hint: Dirge of Cerberus.

Representing tri-Ace's first project with any company other than Square Enix, End of Eternity looks to be a futuristic gun battle RPG in the vein of Parasite Eve. The game will take place entirely in a colossal machine-city called Burzel, whose millions of citizens subscribe to an (as yet unnamed) monotheistic religion. Director Takayuki Suguro points out that the player will never venture outside of Burzel in End of Eternity; what, if anything, exists beyond its borders is a mystery.

Gameplay appears to be somewhat untraditional for a JRPG: The field is built with hexes, recalling an old-school strategy game like Military Madness. Dungeons, however, play out in traditional third-person, and enemy encounters are seamless. In battle you'll control one of three maximum party members, participating in "semi-realtime" skirmishes with an emphasis on gunplay -- perhaps the feeling will be similar to Sega's own Valkyria Chronicles.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3173634

A quick search reveals that Suguro directed Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria. Before that he worked as a planner for Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story.

Hmm doesn't sound bad, doesn't look bad (well the camera pics do), and what the hell with Sega rocking so much. They just need to speed up their localizations a little and they would certainly have a great lineup.

I don't hate random battles, they just feel lazy and old. While it's a valid design choice, it's tough to justify when so few RPGs still use them. Something like Pokemon I couldn't imagine without random battles. From what I have skimmed of the thread, it seems the battles are only random on the overworld, which is about the only place I think this is still acceptable, again not because I hate random battles, but because fighting through empty dungeons is visually boring.

duckroll

Wow, this is really weird. So Suguro goes from planning on Matsuno games at S-E, to becoming a tri-Ace employee and directing VP2, and now directing a tri-Ace game that isn't even published by S-E? Weeeeeeird. But cool.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
batbeg said:
ToV is coming in June, with dual-audio no less.
I know, still, that's a year late, not good. (Still, better than most Tales releases, which never come here, ever.)

Paracelsus said:
._.

It's Sega, no doubt it'll get released over here. The only Sega game you should be afraid of never seeing released is Yakuza.

Don't get me wrong, I like TPSs, I just have a bad feeling remembering the last time a Jrpg dev made an action-TPS.

Hint: Dirge of Cerberus.
True, Sega publishing this does make me happy (although Square Enix haven't been too neglectful of the EU this gen) but I still wont be 100% happy until i see a firm EU date.

Anyway, if End of Eternity will be toying with TPS elements, I'm sure Tri-Ace can ask Sega for a few experts from across the waters to assist in that regard, hopefully.

Paracelsus

Still...65% complete? That's a lot. Considering it's a new title, and it's multiplatform, it sure took some time. When did they start working on it, at the time when they were looking for PS3 devs (around May 2008 IIRC)? Moreover, who was working on it? IU team was still busy with IU, idem for SO4 team. Are we sure they still are just 150 employees?

duckroll

Paracelsus said:
Still...65% complete? That's a lot. Considering it's a new title, and it's multiplatform, it sure took some time. When did they start working on it, at the time when they were looking for PS3 devs (around May 2008 IIRC)? Moreover, who was working on it? IU team was still busy with IU, idem for SO4 team. Are we sure they still are just 150 employees?

Considering the director, it looks like the VP2 team is working on this.

Kum0

I also forgot to mention this better not be like Yakuza and be a Japanese region specific title :lol

Top Bottom