• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

End of Steam Holiday Sale - The Bucket list of $2 & $5 games

Picked up Fortix 2 and Hamilton with my last $5. Hopefully they are good!

I can also vouch for Faerie Solitaire - great casual fun when you want to just kill some time between longer play sessions.

Having just bought this myself yesterday, my suggestion for this thread would have to be:
Nexus - The Jupiter Incident $2.49.

gKzC7.jpg

It is a tactical space combat sim that still looks good today and I thought looked quite interesting at $2.49. Maybe someone else here will appreciate knowing about it as well. 1080p youtube playthrough here.

BTW, thank you for taking the time to make this thread, MRORANGE!

this seems pretty cool actually .... mmm

EDIT : bought

Okay, I'm looking at the Racing games on Steam, anyone have any impressions (since mostly all I have is Burnout: Paradise)?

-GRID (still a daily)?
-Need For Speed games (which ones to get/avoid?)?
-FUEL?
-Flatout: Carnage?
I loved Flatout Ultimate Carnage when it was released. Turns you into a maniacal road rager as it's so satisfying to just nail people. Especially that tiny car. Don't know if you've seen Mr. Bean, but it's like that. If you like that sort of thing, or things like Destruction Derby with dynamic physics and crazy AI, you should probably give it a go. Just replace the soundtrack as it is so, so bad.

FUEL sounded great on paper, was grating in practice. I could deal with the production values being a bit scrappy but I didn't fancy the physics a whole lot, and if you don't care for the handling in a racing game then that's kind of that. But I know there are others here who'd vouch for this game, so clearly that's a subjective thing.

Keikaku

this seems pretty cool actually .... mmm
This is one of the best tactical space combat sims I have ever played. Get it.

Anyone kind enough to recommend some Action RPGs a la Diablo or Titan Quest?
Torchlight is current $7.50 and it's really awesome. It's not as dark and brooding as Diablo but it's light-hearted nature puts it miles beyond Titan Quest. Quite a bit of replay value too.

goober

This is one of the best tactical space combat sims I have ever played. Get it.

Torchlight is current $7.50 and it's really awesome. It's not as dark and brooding as Diablo but it's light-hearted nature puts it miles beyond Titan Quest. Quite a bit of replay value too.

I have Torchlight, thanks! Any other recommendations?

iammeiam

Syberia games, should I just get the first one or is the second one good as well?

They're really just one larger game, split in the middle, so if you want any resolution to any of the storyline you need to get both. It's not a King's Quest-esque situation where each game is a separate entity.

Wow, Dark Void for $3 is craziness. I know that game doesn't have the best reputation, but if you've ever thought you might be interested in a game about a dude with a rocketpack it's the best one out there. I think the controls in that game are just about perfect for that type of gameplay; you go from regular third person shooting to hovering to flying so smoothly and a lot of the combat scenarios are set up so that any of them are viable (I remember having great sniping fights with other rocketpack-clad enemies), and it has that neat vertical combat thing that Uncharted 3 stole. The gunplay and the feel of the weapons and the story and the graphics are nothing special, but I really enjoyed just playing that game.

Are any of these GENUINLY worth the time?
Ignoring that they are cheap for a second, pretend they're 50 bucks or whatever would be normal value.
I don't want more shit to clog up my steam library, but with so many games listed in one thread I figured it's worth asking.

I heard good things about sanctum (weird cos at release everyone said it was a shallow game with no content and lame gunplay...) , is it worth getting? what about the dlc?

Ignoring that they are cheap for a second, pretend they're 50 bucks or whatever would be normal value.
I don't want more shit to clog up my steam library, but with so many games listed in one thread I figured it's worth asking.

I heard good things about sanctum (weird cos at release everyone said it was a shallow game with no content and lame gunplay...) , is it worth getting? what about the dlc?

DIsciples II gold is a very nice game if you like the type.
JAmestown is actually pretty neat.

plus the usual famous indie.

and I agree with you :

quality >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> price

with steam there is always a gazillion titles under 5€. but my time is very limited so I just want to play the best.

Zimbardo

Wow, Dark Void for $3 is craziness. I know that game doesn't have the best reputation, but if you've ever thought you might be interested in a game about a dude with a rocketpack it's the best one out there. I think the controls in that game are just about perfect for that type of gameplay; you go from regular third person shooting to hovering to flying so smoothly and a lot of the combat scenarios are set up so that any of them are viable (I remember having great sniping fights with other rocketpack-clad enemies), and it has that neat vertical combat thing that Uncharted 3 stole. The gunplay and the feel of the weapons and the story and the graphics are nothing special, but I really enjoyed just playing that game.

Dark Void @ that cheap price is very good, imo. i paid $9.99 and didn't feel ripped off ...had a good time with it.

it also has hardware PhysX for the Nvidia users out there. some decent effects when using that.

Pirabear

Banned
So I'll probably try and snag DMC4. Does it have any major problems? The only two I hear about are Nero and backtracking, both of which don't bother me.

Is the original Fable worth it at this point? I played it for about 3 hours back in the day and enjoyed it, but I'm not sure if it'll still be fun today.

cicero

Avadon: The Black Fortress - $4.99
rICtD.jpg

The is the latest Jeff Vogel/Spiderweb Software old school 90s era text heavy indie RPG in the vein of Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape: Torment. The presentation is dated, but as usual with Jeff Vogel RPGs the world and plot are deep, mature, and top level. There is a good 20-30 hours of game here. I bought it at $10 and thought it was a great deal.

RPS writeup here.

-----

Geneforge Saga - $9.99
O7UfF.jpg

26EJZ.jpg

Older Jeff Vogel/Spiderweb Software Saga comprised of five separate titles. The presentation in these huge games is even more dated than Avadon, unfortunately. The world and experience are quite unique though, the open storyline is fantastic, and all of these are actually a bit more complex than Avadon is. Vogel streamlined Avadon and made it more of an entry level RPG, these are much more non-linear, many more character abilities/stats/skills per class, etc. I bought this at $15 and thought it was an incredible deal. It wasn't but 2-3 years ago that you had to buy these direct from Vogel and he charged $25-$28 PER game, with the first trilogy going for $55.

RPS writeup here.

chixdiggit

Dungeons of Dredmor $2.49
ss_ac9e3ef1374408e544686e05e3f95b65450cc75e.600x338.jpg

Long ago, the Dark Lord Dredmor was bound in the darkest dungeons beneath the earth by great and mighty heroes. Centuries later, the magical bonds that hold him in place are loosening and his power grows ever stronger. The land cries out for a new hero, a powerful warrior or a mystic wizard like those spoken of in the prophecies of yore.

Space Pirates and Zombies $4.99
ss_99848d684a54e3782fbd3496766baa641b1ee7df.600x338.jpg

At its core, Space Pirates and Zombies is an action based, skill oriented, top down space combat game. It’s similar to the ones we knew and loved in years past, but now using full physics simulation and modern graphics for those oh so pretty explosions.

Two games that need more attention

Bebpo

Banned

hamiltons-great-adventure-20110223002136336_640w.jpg

mrhammy.jpg

Hamilton's Great Adventure is.

I'm like you where time >>>> money. Games need to be judged by if they're worth the time they require to finish them. Hamilton's Great Adventure is. I just finished it last week after clocking about 6 hours in total and every new stage was great and compelling and the game doesn't have like 100+ stages just to pad it. It has 4 worlds with about 10-12 stages each, and each one adds a new twist until the end. Excellent, excellent game.

It plays like a puzzle game but with the controls and atmsophere of an indiana jones platformer.

Bebpo

Banned
And if you want to know just how highly I think of the game after finishing it, I think the developers Fatshark have a good chance to be the next Rocksteady (Batman AA/AC). They've made two extremely polished games so far in the $15 downloadable game pricepoint and I have a hunch that when a publisher decides to give them the budget to do a full price AAA title, that they're going to produce something that's going to get everyone's attention assuming the publisher doesn't just tell them to make a generic FPS. They need room to be creative like with Hamilton.

Top Bottom