• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

End of Steam Holiday Sale - The Bucket list of $2 & $5 games

dream

And you know, the gameplay itself is fine if it serves a purpose. But the only purpose of Dinner Date, as far as I can tell, is to fleece money from pretentious suckers like me who like artsy things and desperately look for narrative techniques like, I dunno, in medias res where there so clearly is none.

Aselith

And you know, the gameplay itself is fine if it serves a purpose. But the only purpose of Dinner Date, as far as I can tell, is to fleece money from pretentious suckers like me who like artsy things and desperately look for narrative techniques like, I dunno, in medias res where there so clearly is none.

It's the game of the generation. You just don't understand it!

Kolgar

Thanks! In for Trauma, Post Mortem, and Trials 2 (with 360 gamepad support, whoo)!

Edit: Also just scored Duke Nukem Forever from Amazon for $0.99 after the $5 voucher I got for buying Deus Ex for $9.99. Activates on Steam!

naib

Caved and got a few last minute games. Faerie Solitaire, Delve deeper and Dwarfs!?

Dwarfs is a surprisingly fun little score chaser. Haven't tried Delve yet. Got Faerie after buying it for my gf and watching her play it. Lol

Have to recommend Dungeons of Dredmor again. I've logged almost 24 hours since it was the daily deal. Granted some of it is idling. But it's that kind of game.

gabbo

Has anyone mentioned Space Rangers 2? My friend has spoken very highly of it and the reviews are pretty good as well.

I haven't played it on Steam, but it is quite good, rather humorous too.
It's a lot of different genres of game stuffed into one package, so you're bound to find something to like (the rts sections are a bit rough around the edges).

hylje

Such horrible, horrible thread. Made me buy Patricians and Merchants, Port Royale 2, Fable The Lost Chapters and Disciples II: Rise of the Elves.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I bought it. :(

Artofwar420

I think Puzzle Dimension is a good candidate for this list which needs a bit of quality control. http://store.steampowered.com/app/57200 for ONLY TWO FIDDY! ($2.50)

ss_e14a013b7227c4631f50d664f8a1100fba289f34.1920x1080.jpg

Brashnir

Well, I got Hamilton to run, finally - though my fix/workaround is... special.

From what I was reading, the hangups seem to be related to ATI cards and the PhysX implementation in the game. Various people have found fixes by using various versions of PhysX. They recommend using the version packed in with the game, but that didn't work for me, nor does the most recent version on Nvidia's website.

In an odd twist, Simply running Batman:Arkham City and exiting the game seems to do something that causes Hamilton to run on my PC. If I reboot, I have to re-launch Batman and exit before Hamilton will work.

How odd. Must be something in Batman that flips a PhysX switch that Hamilton likes.

I like Dwarfs a lot. It's not the "Dwarf Fortress with graphics" that people expect, but rather a score-based arcade game. You only have a few actions you can perform: guiding your miners, blocking off areas with walls and dynamite, and training/deploying warriors, but you'll often need to do all these things at essentially the same time. Your home base continually produces miners that wander off autonomously and get into trouble by digging into lava, water, or enemy camps, and you have to keep your home base from falling due to their carelessness. And even though you can't handle it, you'll build more camps and set them to creating even more miners because that's the only way you'll beat your friend's score before time runs out.

1-D_FTW

Does it work with a 360 controller?

It supports 360 pads, but was designed as a digital controlled game. So it doesn't benefit at all by using a controller and is infamously difficult (probably in no small part because of this). If you've played the 360 versions (which have analog controls), it's a large step backwards.

Still worth 2.50, just accept if you're like most people, you'll hit a wall and erase from your hard drive to save your sanity. The difficulty is the type you tell stories about.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
maybe try a let's play

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF_3xcviCNI

don't even watch it, just skip through it at 1 minute intervals and you will see what people mean

If you have any desire to play the game, you have to go in cold. Watching a let's play would ruin the experience.

It's a really interesting experience too. It's not much of a game, but as an experiment I thought it worked. I was really pulled in by it and enjoyed getting to know the character through his internal monologue.

I dunno, it's just one of those experience games. Inside a Star Filled Sky is the same way. It's probably more fun, but in the end it's an experience game that communicates the idea of infinity in a subtle and creative way.

I feel like I get something unique and different out of these types of games that I appreciate. I understand why a lot of people wouldn't like them, but both rewarded me in ways other games haven't attempted.

edit: btw, Dwarfs!? has been my go-to arcade game for months. I don't get tired of it. Once you get the mechanics down it is addictive as hell.

AndyD

aka andydumi
My wife is playing Broken Sword series as we speak. I got her several point and click games, she loves those and had not played anything in a while, not since Syberia series. Any other suggestions for her?

I also picked up Bastion and Magicka pack for me. And Flock, the demo on the PS3 was great, but I never did buy it for some reason.

eh i tried the demo for Puzzle Dimension, it's not bad but it's kinda similar in mechanics to Hamilton's great Adventure with the breaking puzzle tiles and once only passes on certain tiles etc. and for the same price i will suggest that over P. Dimension! more atmosphere and charm

Kabouter

My wife is playing Broken Sword series as we speak. I got her several point and click games, she loves those and had not played anything in a while, not since Syberia series. Any other suggestions for her?

I also picked up Bastion and Magicka pack for me. And Flock, the demo on the PS3 was great, but I never did buy it for some reason.

Still Life (1 at least, haven't played 2) is a great game.

iammeiam

Jolly Rover is pretty harmless and fun; the Ben There, Dan That/Time Gentlemen, Please! double-pack is also a good cheap one if you don't mind the low-budget aspect.

Mr_Zombie

"Ben There, Dan That!" and "Time Gentleman, Please" if she likes LucasArts-esque crazy type of humor.
Puzzle Agent 1 and 2 if she likes... well, puzzles.
Still-Life and Post Mortem if she likes thrillers.

Thanks! In for Trauma, Post Mortem, and Trials 2 (with 360 gamepad support, whoo)!

I have Trauma (I got it from a one of the Humble Bundles) and it's a really strange game, if you even call it a game; I have no idea what's going on - you just click on things/make moves with the cursor, some things moves and some not, and the girl is narrating in the background. You can get few conclusions to each of "chapter"/"level" but I have no idea how; through clicking on random things and doing random movements I somehow finished one chapter.

The idea seems interesting but the game doesn't bother telling you what's happening and how you should play/experience it.

Kolgar

Still Life (1 at least, haven't played 2) is a great game.

I concur. Enjoyed Still Life and have been working my way through part 2 slowly.

I have Trauma (I got it from a one of the Humble Bundles) and it's a really strange game, if you even call it a game; I have no idea what's going on - you just click on things/make moves with the cursor, some things moves and some not, and the girl is narrating in the background. You can get few conclusions to each of "chapter"/"level" but I have no idea how; through clicking on random things and doing random movements I somehow finished one chapter.

The idea seems interesting but the game doesn't bother telling you what's happening and how you should play/experience it.

But it looks purrrty!

It supports 360 pads, but was designed as a digital controlled game. So it doesn't benefit at all by using a controller and is infamously difficult (probably in no small part because of this). If you've played the 360 versions (which have analog controls), it's a large step backwards.

Still worth 2.50, just accept if you're like most people, you'll hit a wall and erase from your hard drive to save your sanity. The difficulty is the type you tell stories about.

This is pretty disappointing. I mean, the original game is available on 360, right? So 360 controller support should be easy? You're right, the digital control here is much more difficult than what I remember playing in the 360Trials HD. Nigh unplayable with the 360 pad.

BurningNad

Picked up Serious Sam: BFE! Was kicking myself for missing it during the first daily deal. Now to find time to play it between SWTOR and Saint's Row 3...

Escaped with only $22 damage thanks largely to this thread, with the Wishlist now sitting at 11 and primed to grow from there until the next mega sales.

Is the Hamilton Retro Fever DLC worth it? I know it's only 0.24 but I'll just skip it if they aren't fun. I just played the demo and while it looks good I still don't really get the point of some stuff like the purple orbs, etc... still going to pick it up.

Mr_Zombie

Is Broken Sword 2 on Steam still not the remastered version? What a mess that's been :(

What's the difference between the remastered version and the original one besides new faces during dialouges? In BS1 they at least added a new chapter with Nico, but I haven't heard about anything new in BS2.

Double D

What's the best Magicka DLC? I bought the standalone game before I saw the pack, but I'd like to grab a few of the best packs

Same and max + the wallace and gromite ones.

Top Bottom