• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Endless Ocean, official quiet long river thread (Amir0x approved)

nli10

Innotech said:
I think its testament to the fact of how despite this game being SD and lower res, it is in fact VERY immersive and believable. Going out into the vast expanse made you feel VERY vulnerable even though you knew it was just a game, and nothing in it would harm you. But honestly I felt more anxiety in this game discovering large creatures and new areas than I ever felt in RE4 or Condemned. Its a whole different, more realistic feeling. And it is AWESOME.

Tonight I played it on a 90" (ish) projection screen. In a pitch black room it's quite frankly awesome.

2nd only to the under-the-sea IMAX movies, but more interactive.

Aras

OMG!!!! I heard of this game in the presentations of E3 but never happened to focus on it, now I want it, after seeing Blue Whale in action =O BW FTW ><

btw, the visuals are certainly the best of the Wii *-* Loveable <333333333333

Innotech

Banned
Bidermaier said:
This game is becoming a sleeper hit. Isn't it?
it does seem that way.
Its not for everyone, but if you can accept a deliberately slow paced exploratory game with amazing atmosphere, this game delivers.

Well I bought the game after reading through this thread a few times, and I also picked up an SD card and reader because I was looking forward to exploring, etc. while listening to the music I want...

But there's no playlist function or way to play all of the MP3s on the SD card?? I can't find any way to just play all of my music, and instead I can only play 1 song per dive.

Someone tell me this isn't true and I just haven't found it...

Insaniac

whatdidyousay said:
Well I bought the game after reading through this thread a few times, and I also picked up an SD card and reader because I was looking forward to exploring, etc. while listening to the music I want...

But there's no playlist function or way to play all of the MP3s on the SD card?? I can't find any way to just play all of my music, and instead I can only play 1 song per dive.

Someone tell me this isn't true and I just haven't found it...

nope, sorry. best option? edit all your songs and remix them into one big track :p

Tab0203

Aquarium:

nvt7rn.jpg

2q8ymth.jpg

348hfts.jpg

2m698d0.jpg

w9gxmu.jpg

mmvhjs.jpg

aufgj6.jpg

k30j80.jpg

vyrvdh.jpg

BitchTits

Can't find this game any where in the UK? Has it been withdrawn or something? It's not in physical stores and nowhere online (Amazon/Play/Game).

After skimming the thread and checking out a couple of videos you guys have completely sold me on this game.

It'll be my next purchase without a doubt.

Does anyone know how to find the
giant squid? I found him once, but I didnt get to pet him/ or w/e, so hes still missing from my book. Ive checked his cave several times in the abyss, but still no luck.
Ive tried going there both day and night and I cant seem to find him again, any help?

Innotech

Banned
Lavpa Jasai said:
Does anyone know how to find the
giant squid? I found him once, but I didnt get to pet him/ or w/e, so hes still missing from my book. Ive checked his cave several times in the abyss, but still no luck.
Ive tried going there both day and night and I cant seem to find him again, any help?
your best bet is going at night, and checking the walls about even height with the fiends cave, around the center of the abyssal area. Sometimes I cant find him when I go down there either.

AND I STILL CANT GET THE GODDAMNED FUCKING BELUGA OMG.

After a couple of hours, the game's officially won me over. I thought it was a somewhat-fun distraction at first and I enjoyed just swimming around and cataloguing the different types of fish. Kept going and going and was starting to wonder if it was a one-note experience, and then two things happened:

I saw my first whale. HOLY. CRAP. Seriously, for a game that isn't in HD and doesn't have the best graphics, I was completely blown away when I saw my first whale. I ended up swimming with it for several minutes, completely lost in the experience.

I discovered a network of underwater caves. MOTHER. FU*CKER. It's hard to explain the experience--I was filled with dread and apprehension, but at the same, I was so excited and anxious to push further and further into the caves. It was an odd experience where I felt afraid of what lay ahead but was oddly comforted by how beautiful the entire thing felt. Weird.

Oh, and I gotta say, if you play the game, definitely play along to your own soundtrack. I suppose the music I chose had a lot to do with how I felt when I was playing, but the songs definitely enhanced the experience.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Yeah, the
whale shark
got to me. Even though it's not the biggest thing in the game (but it IS the largest fish alive today, fact fans!) it has to be one of my favourite creatures to swim with.

Amir0x

Banned
SovanJedi said:
Yeah, the
whale shark
got to me. Even though it's not the biggest thing in the game (but it IS the largest fish alive today, fact fans!) it has to be one of my favourite creatures to swim with.

Last night I also re-visited the Abyss and that Benedictus song was on, and I forgot there's that one moment of brief relative quiet in the chorus and then all of a sudden it goes BOOM and the chorus starts this beautiful, haunting uproar.

Man that made me jump out of my seat!

You jinxed me asshole :p

kizmah

Where the hell is the white dolphin? It´s supposed to be west of Rock Land (according to the email) but I can´t find it.

Wow, I'm really quite enjoying this. It's very, very unique, especially as I never played any of the similar PS2 games. I feel so happy when a dolphin decides to flip when I pet it <3

Innotech

Banned
Tab0203 said:
Are you sure?

well, I found all
all 6 nephrite pieces, explored the white cave thoroughly, and discovered all caves, and the hidden cave in the abyss
. Still no email. what more is there?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
This game relaxes my worn out soul. I'm having a blast with this game, especially since I can play it with my girlfriend around and she'll want to watch. :D Good times.

Amir0x

Banned
Is there any other location in the Manoa Lai sea like the Abyss? This is BY FAR my favorite place in the game, I wish there were other places like this in the game

Tab0203

Innotech said:
well, I found all
all 6 nephrite pieces, explored the white cave thoroughly, and discovered all caves, and the hidden cave in the abyss
. Still no email. what more is there?
Hmm, since there is no way to miss anything in the caves or abyss, I'd say you "missed" (forgot to press A (and/or +) one of the 6 stone tablets. That's what happened to me. Write down all the coordinates and go back to the ruins/marige atoll.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
TheGreatDave said:
Wow, I'm really quite enjoying this. It's very, very unique, especially as I never played any of the similar PS2 games. I feel so happy when a dolphin decides to flip when I pet it <3

in case you have a DC (or a good emu), a game that approaches this amount of underwater mystery and atmosphere is ecco the dolphin: defender of the future, but man, did that game give me a phobia of drowning. even now in EO when i take a dolphin with me on a dive i can't stop being concerned about them drowning, even though i'm well aware EO does not feature such stuff.

I'm sure its already been mentioned, but has anyone come up any really music to play off an SD card int he game? I heard you can't change tracks while diving, but obviously you could just combine a bunch of tracks into one.

I suppose Enya would fit the bill :lol

Innotech

Banned
civilstrife said:
Should I rent this or No more Heroes? Which is the more essential experience?
I couldnt decide, so I just bought both of them.

DO NOT RENT ENDLESS OCEAN. BUY IT.

Sorry, but you cannot possibly experience EO well enough in a rental. Youll feel cheated trust me.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Valkyr Junkie said:
I'm sure its already been mentioned, but has anyone come up any really music to play off an SD card int he game? I heard you can't change tracks while diving, but obviously you could just combine a bunch of tracks into one.

Wait, so you really can only listen to one track at a time while underwater? I had dumped a bunch of mp3s onto my SD card hoping it could shuffle them or something while I was on dives, but noticed that it just repeated whatever I picked on the radio on the boat over and over. Is the only way really to combine them all into one huge file? If so, what's the easiest program to do this?

Christine

DarthWoo said:
Wait, so you really can only listen to one track at a time while underwater? I had dumped a bunch of mp3s onto my SD card hoping it could shuffle them or something while I was on dives, but noticed that it just repeated whatever I picked on the radio on the boat over and over. Is the only way really to combine them all into one huge file? If so, what's the easiest program to do this?

Try the concatenate function of "copy". Start a command prompt and:

copy /b "file name 1.mp3"+"file name 2.mp3" "combined.mp3"

You'll get a semi-valid mp3 file - some players will only play the first track, some will play the whole thing. You'd have to test a file created with this method on Endless Ocean to know for sure, and I don't have the game.

Vinci

Danish
Innotech said:
I couldnt decide, so I just bought both of them.

DO NOT RENT ENDLESS OCEAN. BUY IT.

Sorry, but you cannot possibly experience EO well enough in a rental. Youll feel cheated trust me.

Damn you, and this thread, to hell. I really didn't need to buy another game for the Wii.

Valkyr Junkie said:

Put in Protection by Massive Attack. Fits nicely.

dgud

Neo Member
Can't find this game any where in the UK? Has it been withdrawn or something? It's not in physical stores and nowhere online (Amazon/Play/Game).

Not in Sweden either on the bigger (the ones I looked at) websites, out of print in Europe?

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Amir0x said:
Last night I also re-visited the Abyss and that Benedictus song was on, and I forgot there's that one moment of brief relative quiet in the chorus and then all of a sudden it goes BOOM and the chorus starts this beautiful, haunting uproar.

Man that made me jump out of my seat!

You jinxed me asshole :p

:lol

I'm much better in that area now! I suppose even with a game like this, you realize that the largest things in the game still can't hurt you or are particularly frightening, and then the big expansive mystery behind the voids cease to be as terrifying as my own head makes them out to be.

Sometimes when swimming along and you're not aware something big is floating around it can surprise you...

CTLance

DarthWoo said:
Is the only way really to combine them all into one huge file? If so, what's the easiest program to do this?
1) Yes.
2) Audacity.

You could look through the collections posted already in this thread. Some nice mixes.

blu

SovanJedi said:
:lol

I'm much better in that area now! I suppose even with a game like this, you realize that the largest things in the game still can't hurt you or are particularly frightening..

good. now that your phobia of the abyss is all behind go poke the shark swimming at the bottom there.

Philia

I rented this and enjoyed this game immensely. However, after finding the major fish (ya know... magu) and whales, I couldn't really be bothered to go find all of the treasures which is at random or complete the fish book when some fish don't appear for certain seasons.

Its truly an enjoyable game though. I only got all that I wanted out of possibly 30 hours with this game. I really love the fish interaction, but everblue 2 has it best with all of the treasure collecting. ;)

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
blu said:
good. now that your phobia of the abyss is all behind go poke the shark swimming at the bottom there.

Oh gee mister, I wonder what will happen if I did th OFCOURSEI'VE poked that shark! That's not scary at all. The goblin shark that's there at nighttime is scarier.

blu

SovanJedi said:
Oh gee mister, I wonder what will happen if I did th OFCOURSEI'VE poked that shark! That's not scary at all. The goblin shark that's there at nighttime is scarier.

ok ok, i just had to try ; )

btw, has it occured to anybody that the developer might have put in a single special creature in there that would respond differently to harassment?..

Top Bottom