• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Endless Ocean, official quiet long river thread (Amir0x approved)

Tab0203

180: One "violent" flick in any direction. Works anytime.

Barrel roll: Hold B, then touch (with the cursor, no force required) each side of your screen in under 0.5 seconds or so... You have to be quick. Left to right or right to left.

stewacide

Not being able to post pictures is so frustrating! This could be a game you play and play and play if that was included :(

What is Nintendo protecting us from?!?!?!!!!!!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Tab0203 said:
Barrel roll: Hold B, then touch (with the cursor, no force required) each side of your screen in under 0.5 seconds or so... You have to be quick. Left to right or right to left.
or you could just twist your wrist

Tab0203

A few more Orca pics:

vec3lx.jpg

2jahk7t.jpg

2dc5t8o.jpg

34opt8x.jpg

xdunpe.jpg

idrup2.jpg

i just found the best dive soundtrack ever, Kid A!

i'm not even that much of a radiohead fan, and especially that album, but the whole dive was just amazing. i was down for the entire album. when the song In Limbo crept up on me, it was one of those perfect blissful moments.
"i'm lost at sea... don't bother me"

Innotech

Banned
once again, Im gonna ask.

Did anyone unlock the white beluga whale and if so what did you do, because Ive satisfied the requirements I think but the email doesnt ever show up.

Tab0203

Innotech said:
once again, Im gonna ask.

Did anyone unlock the white beluga whale and if so what did you do, because Ive satisfied the requirements I think but the email doesnt ever show up.
:lol

I thought you found him already. He's in the 3rd and 4th pic above.

1. Find the Old Bracelet west of Rock Land (F-4), 2. Marige Atoll (H-7)

A few more:

*spoiler*

ibapte.jpg

6i8wp5.jpg

124y7oz.jpg

11i39et.jpg

25zo4eh.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
This game is so relaxing to play before bed, molesting fish and whatnot.

My FC is: 2345-6475-5993

I guess co-op swimming is just dull though, no?

Banned
I just watched the 1up show segment about EO today, and it was pretty positive:)lol at the irony) so I'm willing to give the game a shot unlike before. Just wondering what the general outlook on the game is, and is it worth buying immediately or whatever.

Scrubking

ksamedi said:
So is this (the wifi) region locked?

Is the Wii made by Nintendo?

Anyway, I was wondering if you can switch out your diving partners after you fill up all three slots or do you have to stay with the first three you befriend?

AKS

I just picked this game up this weekend. It's a nice change of pace. If you can play with friends, how would you go about that without mics? Seems that would detract from the experience quite a bit given that it doesn't seem to be all that linear. How do you know what the other person wants to do?

Innotech

Banned
Tab0203 said:
:lol

I thought you found him already. He's in the 3rd and 4th pic above.

1. Find the Old Bracelet west of Rock Land (F-4), 2. Marige Atoll (H-7)

A few more:

*spoiler*

ibapte.jpg

6i8wp5.jpg

124y7oz.jpg

11i39et.jpg

25zo4eh.jpg

the problem is that the bracelet isnt there.
At all.
I searched the whole area, and I didnt even get the email describing the beluga. I explored all rooms of the caves, explored the abyss, got all the nephrite. I got an email saying that they were translating the tablets. should I wait and see from there? I never got another email after that one regarding the tablets (about 4 days past ingame).

Innotech

Banned
Scrubking said:
Is the Wii made by Nintendo?

Anyway, I was wondering if you can switch out your diving partners after you fill up all three slots or do you have to stay with the first three you befriend?
yes you can. I switched out a common dolphin for the Orca. RIght now I have a bottlenose, the orca, and a rissos dolphin. You can easily switch out different dolphins by familiarizing with another type, and you can always go back and befriend one you let go again and it will follow you back again.

Tab0203

Innotech said:
the problem is that the bracelet isnt there.
At all.
I searched the whole area, and I didnt even get the email describing the beluga. I explored all rooms of the caves, explored the abyss, got all the nephrite. I got an email saying that they were translating the tablets. should I wait and see from there? I never got another email after that one regarding the tablets (about 4 days past ingame).
I think you missed a stone tablet. There are 6 iirc. I got the 'White dolphin' email right after I found all the tablets.

Guys,

Here's my FC 1633 3577 2200 9134

I may loose my net connection in a Few days as am changing ISP, and it will take up to 3 weeks before i have internet at home, but i'd love to add you guys before i loose my internet connect so please add me :)

I had no interest in this game at all until I read through this thread some... thanks guys, it sounds awesome. I'll get it ASAP.

Innotech

Banned
hamzik said:
Did you edit that video or did they perform several tricks in a row? If so, how the hell?

And 100 hours! Holy crap man. You really like this game. I am at around 18 hours.
Im about 32 hours in. I really cant stop playing it. I love it so much.
AND I WILL FIND THAT FUCKING BELUGA.

Scrubking

Innotech said:
yes you can. I switched out a common dolphin for the Orca. RIght now I have a bottlenose, the orca, and a rissos dolphin. You can easily switch out different dolphins by familiarizing with another type, and you can always go back and befriend one you let go again and it will follow you back again.
Great news. Thanks.

Tab0203

hamzik said:
Did you edit that video or did they perform several tricks in a row? If so, how the hell?

And 100 hours! Holy crap man. You really like this game. I am at around 18 hours.
Several in a row. Keep on poking him before you give him the "go" sign.

jgkspsx

Got to the credits. About 20-22 hours of playtime. Beautiful.

Question about
the pirate ship, though. It showed up, I tried to get in it, I couldn't. I tried again a few days later, same hole and all, and it took me to Ship's Rest. I don't recall finding any special treasures in between or anything. Was it just a weird bug, or what?

I went to Gamestop this morning and traded in Medal of Honor: Heroes to save a bit of money. I said, "Hi, do you have Endless Ocean in stock?"

The creepy, quasi-gothy shrimp of a sales clerk replied, "Isn't that a fishing game? Why would you pay money for a fishing game?"

I replied honestly, " My girlfriend saw it online and asked me to pick it up and I heard that it's a good game."

Sheepishly he said, " Well No More Heroes is a good game, you should look that up."

This little vapid, fucking shit was passing judgment on me even though he probably hasn't seen a vagina since his mother's birth canal.

Anyways, is there any way to get the MP3s in this game to cycle through? Do I have to go back up to the boat each I want to change a song? If so, that kind of sucks.

kizmah

Tab0203 said:
Several in a row. Keep on poking him before you give him the "go" sign.

Thanks. I played the game for over 18 hours and I never once though of that. Will try it out as soon as I get home from work.

kizmah

reggieandTFE said:
Do I have to go back up to the boat each I want to change a song? If so, that kind of sucks.

Just paste several tracks together into one long mp3 and you're good to go. There are some great mixes in this thread.

edit: sorry for doublepost

Scrubking

Latest EGM said:
Certainly, and when that glorious day comes, the editors of Electronic Teaching Monthly will no doubt fall all over themselves talking about how great such games are. In the meantime, we're relegating fish petting sims to our new "Electronic Nongaming Monthly" section
Response to reader mail.

gimz

just received this game from my friend along with Mario Strikers

loving it so far
is it the thread to post FC? or is there another thread for posting FC for this game?
i want to try WFC with someone

Scrubking said:
Response to reader mail.

I'm sure they'll win plenty of appreciative comments from certain quarters for that, but I think their position stinks, frankly. EO isn't DS Literature Collection and EGM can sneer at it all they like, but it's just as deserving of space in the magazine as any other release.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Cosmonaut X said:
I'm sure they'll win plenty of appreciative comments from certain quarters for that, but I think their position stinks, frankly. EO isn't DS Literature Collection and EGM can sneer at it all they like, but it's just as deserving of space in the magazine as any other release.

didn't you know your dick grows bigger when you scoff at "non-games"?

Amir0x

Banned
I was enjoying this game a lot before, but it really "captured" me with the whole White Caves segment... I don't know, there's just something so alluring about this game and it can't just be easily conveyed. It's not like I'm an aspiring marine biologist... but there's a genuine explorer spirit captured in the peaceful ocean abyss, which transforms this from what could have been just a fish collectathon to something really fun. It's supremely well designed.

I've railed against edutainment in the past, as it's not something that anyone should buy a console over - so seeing hardcore gamers attempt to awkwardly embrace it with shit like Brain Age is a disappointment.

THIS is how you do edutainment. It transcends it to become just another (extremely unique) game, thanks to some very clever gameplay incentives, and it's not a bore to learn new shit about these fishes. If you buy a Wii for this, it wouldn't be so bad. Just know what to expect.

Unlike many, I've played the developer's past diving titles... they were clearly trying to be something they weren't, and they just became a sloppy mess of misguided development decisions. Here they embrace the concept at its core, and don't pollute it with trivialities.

I genuinely, honestly, recommend this game, with the caveat that you should make sure you really, really know what you're getting into. It's slow, it's deliberately paced and it's not going to appease any testosterone addict. But it may be brilliant.

9/10.

(edit: waggling to gain information from the fish is really stupid though, shoulda had a better solution. Thankfully you can feed them too, but it doesn't always work)

Amir0x

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
Damn you Amir0x. I hate how your praise means something. Now I'm £30 or so down.

Honestly i was interested in this game for a while, but i didn't expect it to have a major impact on me. I thought maybe it'd be a good weekend diversion. But now I can tell I will be playing for a while.

But, and this is an experience spoiler so you may not want to read it, when I was
swimming through the caverns of the White Caves, viewing the many different cave patterns and suddenly it opens up and I twist around a giant sea manatee is floating gracefully above me, my jaw actually dropped.
I was in awe of something in a game... to break my cynicism like that shocked even me. And since then, there have been multiple little experiences that have done this.

The game's been ordered now, so I'll wait and see how I feel about it. I was interested in it after that 1Up Show segment, it just seems like such a unique, intriguing little game. And clearly it's winning over some people.

kizmah

Amir0x said:
I was in awe of something in a game

This game does that to you. My first dive down in the blackness of the Abyss was jawdropping and truly the moment when I realised what an amazing experience this game provides. The great part is, it's got plenty more up it's sleeve before you are done.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I heard this game was like Animal Crossing, and I liked Animal Crossing. But Amir0x likes this game, but he hates Animal Crossing. .... I'm confused

Innotech

Banned
hamzik said:
This game does that to you. My first dive down in the blackness of the Abyss was jawdropping and truly the moment when I realised what an amazing experience this game provides. The great part is, it's got plenty more up it's sleeve before you are done.
benedictus ingame music + abyss = holyfuckingshitIsaidwow

Nintaiyo

I really want to pick up this game since it's only 30 bucks, but I'd feel guilty since I haven't bought Metroid Prime 3, Super Paper Mario, or No More Heroes yet.

Innotech

Banned
Nintaiyo said:
I really want to pick up this game since it's only 30 bucks, but I'd feel guilty since I haven't bought Metroid Prime 3, Super Paper Mario, or No More Heroes yet.
do like me and buy all 4.
WEll ok so thats the expensive option.
Just pick up NMH alongside it and you are redeemed.

NotWii

Banned
My Fish Molesting game just arrived today :D
Strangely No More Heroes arrived yesterday, despite being shipped 3 days after Endless Ocean...

Top Bottom