• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Endless Ocean, official quiet long river thread (Amir0x approved)

Innotech

Banned
jgkspsx said:
1up gave it an 8 and a fairly glowing review.

I have to say, though it's quite enjoyable, that the lack of realism is kind of a turn-off. It's nice that they have information about critters, but penguins and polar bears in the same stretch of ocean is a little... much. I'd rather have seen a single, realistic stretch of ocean, I think.

But the life bar... :lol Crispin, if a big shark attacks you, your "health bar" doesn't decrease. You might lose an appendage or you might die. If you're lucky you might just have scars the rest of your life. But the hospital simulator part of the game would have been no fun at all.
the deep sea part also isnt very realistic since it would crush a normal diver under the pressure, but if they left that part out I wouldnt like it as much. Im glad they bent the reality just enough to make the game enjoyable on several levels without going completely overboard.

So EGM doesn't want to review Endless Ocean since it's a "non-game" apparently but Shane is happy to blab about Flow on PSN for hours on 1up Yours when it came out.

Scrubking said:
And these are so-called professionals. I've lost all respect for EGM/1up and the people who like them.

Edit: The game DOES have an air guage that runs out and forces you to come up.

This is one of the reasons I let my subscription lapse: Electronic Gaming Monthly has taken the focus off of anything they don’t consider a core game…which, more often than not, turns out to be a Wii game. Just look at their Sales Chart for Nov./Dec. Out of 20 games, 8 are for the Wii and, out of those 8, 5 weren’t even reviewed by EGM (there are six without reviews, the missing one being a PS2 title).

I’ve been gaming since the NES and this generation I own every current system (from consoles to handhelds). Grand Theft Auto IV is my most wanted game this year, but the only game I KNOW I’m picking up between now and then is Endless Ocean. Core gamers still enjoy the casual experience, too, EGM!

P.S. Haven't been able to find it yet, but I'm hoping to get EO sometime this weekend. It's starting to feel like nobody even bothered to stock it. :(

Vexidus

Generation ABXY said:
P.S. Haven't been able to find it yet, but I'm hoping to get EO sometime this weekend. It's starting to feel like nobody even bothered to stock it. :(

I had to go to the counter and ask for it at EB, the game wasn't on shelves at all. When I asked if they had it, the guy checked the computer and then said yes, and found a sealed bundle of them, opened it, and rang one up for me..

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
finally got it today. the guy at the store acted kind-of surprised, mentioning he had it too and was curious to know if i was buying it for myself (i'm in my 30's - i guess closer to the 'hardcore' stereotype) - hearing i was, he proceeded to ask me if i knew what it was 'about' - i assured him i was a well informed, conscious buyer. it felt a bit as if i were an underage trying to snatch a mature title : ) anyhow, i know he was just being curious, likely because the stores are not used up to seeing people of my demo showing interest in such titles.

my very first impressions - darn impressive underwater world! and i have a clue how difficult it is actually to get that right in a video game.

ok, enough babel, i'm off to leave my friendcode in the dedicated thread now, as i have some lain-back exploration to do! ; )

Vexidus

I added everyone in that thread and left my code there too, I hope to check out the online stuff sometime! If you open up your boat's "gate" and leave it open while you play, does that mean anybody mutually friended with you can join? That would be awesome!

Right now I'm having lots of fun selecting creatures for my aquarium! :D Oarfish ftw!

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
DevelopmentArrested said:
So EGM doesn't want to review Endless Ocean since it's a "non-game" apparently but Shane is happy to blab about Flow on PSN for hours on 1up Yours when it came out.

And you just know when Afrika comes out they'll magically have a change of heart about non-game reviews.

Once again, the word for disappointment is Wal-Mart. They're my only local choice and as per usual they got a shipment of every other game that was released, to my knowledge, on that date (even No More Heroes, which I didn't expect them to carry--it's sold out already, by the way). Anybody else's Wal-Mart give them the Endless Ocean shaft (which sounds slightly dirty)? And skirting off-topic, they are selling Zack and Wiki for $29.99 now for anyone interested.

This frustrates me, but not as much as EGM does. That is absolutely pre-fucking-posterous. Endless Ocean is a part of a new movement in gaming. It's a movement, it's an addition, it's an evolution. It's not a replacement. It's not a threat. What a way to bullishly embrace complete stagnation, EGM. I could have a free subscription to that rag up to the year 2068, but I'd rather not waste my time.

Tab0203

Charlatanized said:
... This frustrates me, but not as much as EGM does. That is absolutely pre-fucking-posterous. Endless Ocean is a part of a new movement in gaming. It's a movement, it's an addition, it's an evolution. It's not a replacement. It's not a threat. What a way to bullishly embrace complete stagnation, EGM. I could have a free subscription to that rag up to the year 2068, but I'd rather not waste my time.

Jirotrom

you guys know that 1up reviewed it right. The thing is I believe EGM thinks their audience doesn't want to know anything about endless ocean, and quite honestly EGM misses alot of game reviews.

Mason

Jirotrom said:
you guys know that 1up reviewed it right. The thing is I believe EGM thinks their audience doesn't want to know anything about endless ocean, and quite honestly EGM misses alot of game reviews.

This is why the only people who subscribe to EGM anymore get it from free subscriptions online.

I'm really liking Endless Ocean, although for the first day or two I played it, I was a little frustrated. Before I started unlocking a lot of the equipment and uncovering new areas, I was thinking "THIS IS IT?! FUCKED OVER BY GAF AGAIN" but as I continued playing, it got a lot better. One of the things that frustrated me at first was the game's slow pace. I kept getting angry that the diver wouldn't swim faster, for example. Eventually, though, I kind of got into the slower rhythm and began to enjoy it more.

I'm actually having a TON of fun now that I got the camera because I'll sit there for 5 minutes following a fish trying to get the perfect shot and I love when a picture turns out great. Has anyone figured out a way for us to share our photos yet? I've got a few really good ones.

Innotech

Banned
Mason said:
This is why the only people who subscribe to EGM anymore get it from free subscriptions online.

I'm really liking Endless Ocean, although for the first day or two I played it, I was a little frustrated. Before I started unlocking a lot of the equipment and uncovering new areas, I was thinking "THIS IS IT?! FUCKED OVER BY GAF AGAIN" but as I continued playing, it got a lot better. One of the things that frustrated me at first was the game's slow pace. I kept getting angry that the diver wouldn't swim faster, for example. Eventually, though, I kind of got into the slower rhythm and began to enjoy it more.

I'm actually having a TON of fun now that I got the camera because I'll sit there for 5 minutes following a fish trying to get the perfect shot and I love when a picture turns out great. Has anyone figured out a way for us to share our photos yet? I've got a few really good ones.

You havent even begun your journey.
The game actuaslly has a TON of objectives and things to do, things to see, items to collect, some which may or may not unlock creatures or events or new gear. Ive almost unlocked everything now and made some huge discoveries today, including...well Im not going to spoil it so highlight if you wish to know. but it is a BIG SPoiler :D

Ok, I discovered
the Ancient Mother
. It is absolutely huge and majestic and well worth the work it takes to find it. Even though the game doesnt really "end" It felt like the absolute culmination of everything I hadf done and worked to discover. It basically sealed this game as one of my pleasant surprises of 2008 and Im honestly going to say my personal game of the year. I love it that much. And even NOW Im still discovering new creatures I missed the first time around. Diving in different months with different conditions really affects the kinds of creatures youll see and where. I just discovered todaY:
the Ancient Mother
blue whale
coelacanth
octopus
ocean sunfish
, and
Goblin shark
. I STILL have yet to see
the mythical giant great white shark
, the
Beluga whale
, or even the
Orca whale
. My journey is not yet over and Ill be playing this game for a long long long long long time.

If anyone knows how I can find the 3 I have yet to find, please tell me.

Deku

Banned
FYI I added people who posted on the EO thread in the on-line matchup forum. Go there if you havent posted your friend code yet.

This thread is too messy to find the codes.

blu

it's 0200 here and just finished my first play session. i have one thing to say about this game:

WHERE THE FUCK HAVE YOU BEEN ALL THIS TIME, ENDLESS OCEAN?

this is my ultimate adventure game combined with my ultimate sandbox game.

i don't fucking care if the over-world had nes-level graphics. it could have been ascii art just as well and it would not change the AWESOMENESS of this game one fucking bit.

in one sitting this game has already amazed me, thrilled me, and made me pet fish like i was a convicted fish petter. and all that without the slightest hint of 'health', 'lives', 'energy bars', 'sudden death' or any other 'enforcing' element. and i just love the way the game offers you its unobtrusive story without the slightest hint that it's the most important thing in the universe. it's like the proverbial sex with no strings attached, only that this girl does not even ask you to call her by her name.

the game achieves its magic by simply submerging you (literally) in the perfect atmosphere. if i had to classify it, endless ocean is a sandbox with atmosphere rivaling that of the best adventures.

i needed that eons ago!

jgwhiteus

I picked this up at the same time I got No More Heroes (I guess along with a lot of other GAFfers). I haven't had much time to get into it yet, but the little I played was relaxing and enjoyable, and it inspired me to finally buy an SD card to hold music.

It's interesting reading about all these unlockables and the sheer amount of things to discover. In a way it reminds me of Animal Crossing and even Nintendogs - seemingly shallow gameplay on the surface concealing craploads of content and unlockables underneath. It keeps you involved and interested, wanting to discover what else the game has in store, even though you could sum up the main gameplay as just swimming around and petting/feeding fish. I guess it's a design philosophy of Nintendo's for certain types of games, but it seems to work.

So maybe this alarm about Endless Ocean being a new type of game/end of gaming is a bit overblown, and also a little late to the party (that EGM review was pretty idiotic - you could apply the exact same criticisms to Animal Crossing - no penalties, health, set objectives, etc. - and who said those had to define what a "game" is in the first place?). Nintendo's already pulled off this type of game at least twice before, and quite well at that.

Innotech

Banned
EGM is full of shit. but Im guessing that EGM also didnt take the time to notice the actual GAME in this including a story, objectives, puzzles, and some detective work. you know, like a HARDCORE GAMERS SORT OF GAMEPLAY. They are too far up the ass of western devs to realize the innovative ideas and uniqueness of this game, not to mention the very qualities it possesses that would make them cream their pants in the first place.

And if gaming does indeed swing in the direction of Endless Ocean, Ill be first in line to buy into it.

Jirotrom

I probably need to get this... my gf would love it as she and her family love scuba diving. She has some picks of her with some baby sharks:D

EDIT: Do you all know approximately how many species there are in the game?

Innotech

Banned
ok...I found the big ass great white shark god, but I still cant locate the orca or the beluga. I know I need two items to find these creatures but I cant find the items where they are supposed to be

Innotech said:
EGM is full of shit. but Im guessing that EGM also didnt take the time to notice the actual GAME in this including a story, objectives, puzzles, and some detective work. you know, like a HARDCORE GAMERS SORT OF GAMEPLAY. They are too far up the ass of western devs to realize the innovative ideas and uniqueness of this game, not to mention the very qualities it possesses that would make them cream their pants in the first place

Seriously, I'm wondering if the tosser at EGM who did that pathetic write-up even bothered to play it at all, or simply glanced at the back of the box. What's more amusing is that EGM reviewed Everblue for PS2, and this is essentially the sequel with a new name.

Comic

Man, I was uninterested in this game until I started reading first impressions... now I may have to buy it.

I feel a little lame because my second thought was that I'd probably enjoy a sequel to Pokemon Snap like this.

I'm absolutely in love with this game. And I really enjoy the original soundtrack. Sure, it's fun to pop in some DK tunes here and there but I really feel the EO tunes match the setting a little better.

So, how is online diving? Any major differences from the single player game?

Scrubking

I just had 9
penguins
on my boat. There were two baby ones and the adults were feeding the babies and stuff. Awesome.

So, I got the game yesterday around this time and now I've already found...well, you-know-what (I'm not sure how to censor it like you guys do :lol ). Game was a little shorter than I expected - and the Endless Ocean not so very endless...or even ocean...ess as I thought either.

I've yet to try out the online portion, and I still have plenty of creatures to catalog (speaking of which, I can't identify some, no matter how much I pet them...) though, so I'm sure I'll be playing for a long time, though perhaps not as fanatically. Still, great game, one well worth a mere $30.

farnham

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
because Flow captures the Soul of Playstation while Endless Ocean is an evil scheme of Nintendo to ruin the hardcores..

WrikaWrek said:
Really? Holy shit, lolol i didn't even knew the Wii could do that.

:D

Heard about the Launch game.. EXCITTEEEE TRUCK!

Innotech

Banned
Ok I finally got the Orca (you have to basically visit 100% of the map including the shallows and near the dropoffs) but I collected all the nephrite pieces and after 3 days STILL no email regarding the beluga (white whale) anyone know what Im missing?

Tab0203

Jirotrom said:
... EDIT: Do you all know approximately how many species there are in the game?
214 in the book. (the website says: Interact with and learn about more than 230 different animal species.)

*spoiler*

15 different kinds of sharks
6-8 dolphins, whales, penguins, stingrays, seals, slugs, birds
2-4 octopus, squids, jellyfish, sea lions, sea dragons, sea horses, sea stars, barracudas, eels, shrimps
a polar bear, manatee, turtle, snailfish, sea cucumber, sea gooseberry, sea spider, crab, lobster and many more.

Frilled shark:

2iui5d.jpg

4t348g.jpg

i4n82h.jpg

Soule

Just bought this game and played like 20 minutes, after seeing those shots of the shark and sunken ship i can't wait to get in deeper.

Innotech

Banned
Soule said:
Just bought this game and played like 20 minutes, after seeing those shots of the shark and sunken ship i can't wait to get in deeper.
IT WILL OWN YOUR SOUL.
Its a great experience, seriously.

kizmah

I made a 10 min track out of some tunes from the Donnie Darko OST. It fits pefectly to the atmosphere of the game.

Btw, nice to see this game getting some serious love from US-gaffers. Us euros have been enjoying the game for quite some time now and in my case still do.

Ike

PissBOX, PeeS2, or Toiletcube
I'm still on the fence on getting this game. On one hand, it looks to have a great aesthetic quality to it and it's only $30, but one the other hand I don't know if I can see myself spending money on a diving sim.

Ike

PissBOX, PeeS2, or Toiletcube
Ike said:
I'm still on the fence on getting this game. On one hand, it looks to have a great aesthetic quality to it and it's only $30, but one the other hand I don't know if I can see myself spending money on a diving sim.
I believe I was hinting for someone to convince me to buy it. :lol

you guys are making this game sound interesting to me....heres another music suggestion:
Yo La Tengo has a album out from a recording they did live to go along with an underwater documentary. It's called "The Sounds of The Sounds of Science".
yolatengo.jpg

Bildi

I finally got this one weekend - it's definitely a great way to burn time. Yesterday I sat down to play it here and there and by the end of the day I surprised to find I'd put in three hours of diving time. I'm only still near the start (did my first photo assignment), but damn, this game has a hell of a lot of stuff to do. Way more than I expected.

I've burned about 5 hours pretty much just around the Coral Forest area - I can't wait to see all these other locations.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Bought this first day because I wanted to do a review on it.

It's a great game, actually, and this genre is definitely underappreciated. I now have some interest in other games like this, such as Afrika for PS3.

jgkspsx

Hey, I've got a few mixes to share of my own. I put them up on Zshare like Flynn did, but some of their banner ads are NSFW, so be warned. They're encoded at 128 and there's crossfades. I have to admit I haven't dived with these yet, but I'm about to!

Sex and Violence
Unreleased instrumental Pink Floyd soundtrack material from Zabriskie Point (1969). The first track will be familiar to even the casual Floyd listener. Very quiet and drifty. 34min

The Violent Sequence
Love Scene #2
Fingal's Cave
Rain in the Country Take 1
Love Scene #3
Love Scene #4

Off the Rails
Radiohead songs that sound better underwater. Anyone remember the Pyramid Song video? I'd like to play that game. 27min

Pyramid Song
Everything in Its Right Place
Weird Fishes/Arpeggi (live @ FuseLeeds, played by orchestra of sorts)
Treefingers
Fog
Nude

blu

Ike said:
I believe I was hinting for someone to convince me to buy it. :lol

one day your grandkids will be sitting on you knees, with that inquisitive look in their eyes, nudging you:

'grandpa, you had that little white console with that game that started it all, tell us how it all began!'

you'll be staring back blankly.

Top Bottom