• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Endless Ocean, official quiet long river thread (Amir0x approved)

VideoMan said:
NMH-EO.jpg

Picked EO up at Circuit City for $29.99. The weekend circular price was a misprint. FYI
What an awesome pic! :D

Mason

VideoMan said:
NMH-EO.jpg

Picked EO up at Circuit City for $29.99. The weekend circular price was a misprint. FYI

I wish that was the scene on my desk. I had $20 in EB money and EO was $29.99.... so a $10 game was too hard to resist. NMH will have to come some other time. I'm sorry Suda :(

This game is really sticking with me. I like how it eases players into the experience gradually. And despite what IGN's review says I actually appreciate the simplified controls, both on deck and underwater. I just wish I could create a streaming playlist with my mp3s.

Amir0x

Banned
Mason said:
I wish that was the scene on my desk. I had $20 in EB money and EO was $29.99.... so a $10 game was too hard to resist. NMH will have to come some other time. I'm sorry Suda :(

you made the right choice. NMH is for junkers.

Vexidus

Scrubking said:
So how do I get the Wii/game to read my 16m SD card?

All you have to do it put it in, and it should be able to be read, but only 16 Mb?? You would only be able to fit like a couple high bitrate songs on that.. I'm using a micro SD card in a regular SD adapter, and that works ok!

Scrubking

Vexidus said:
All you have to do it put it in, and it should be able to be read, but only 16 Mb?? You would only be able to fit like a couple high bitrate songs on that.. I'm using a micro SD card in a regular SD adapter, and that works ok!

Thanks. I tried another card and it worked. I guess my Wii didn't like the 16m one. Is there a way I can format it or something to get it to work?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Scrubking said:
Thanks. I tried another card and it worked. I guess my Wii didn't like the 16m one. Is there a way I can format it or something to get it to work?
if you have any sort of sd reader then mount it to a desktop and check the filesystem - it should be either FAT16 or FAT32. if not - format to either of those. FAT32 does not really bring you anything since the card is only 16MB, but it would not hurt either. if it happens to already be one of the above, then re-initialize and re-format just in case ; )

Bebpo

Banned
Amir0x said:

Hey Amir0x, explain why I should buy Endless Ocean. I'm not really into non-games but I like worlds that I can explore at my own pace and take in the scenery like SoTC.

Still not sure if this will be worth the money for my personal tastes.

Bebpo said:
Hey Amir0x, explain why I should buy Endless Ocean. I'm not really into non-games but I like worlds that I can explore at my own pace and take in the scenery like SoTC.

Actually, it's funny you mention SotC. That was precisely what came to mind as I played EO. The only difference is no awesome colossus fight.

Innotech

Banned
Well I did alot more exploring, and yes unlocked night dives and well...the game opened up in a BIG BIG way. My God this game is fucking amazing. And I mean awe inspiring, jaw dropping amazing. The next time someone says the Wii cant do realism, I want you to punch them in the fucking mouth, and then show them this game.

Johnas

Does this game look good on an HDTV?

I recently acquired a 42" Kuro, and Mario Galaxy looks great on it, but Metroid Prime 3 has very noticeable smearing in the backgrounds, I guess that "vaseline" look I've seen people mention before.

I'd love to play this on that large of a screen if it still looks good.

Arthas

Banned
Johnas said:
Does this game look good on an HDTV?

I recently acquired a 42" Kuro, and Mario Galaxy looks great on it, but Metroid Prime 3 has very noticeable smearing in the backgrounds, I guess that "vaseline" look I've seen people mention before.

I'd love to play this on that large of a screen if it still looks good.

Depends on your tv's scaler but so far underwater jaggies are almost non-existent. It really looks sweet.

On deck it's a different story. Real amateur attempt with the graphics above water. But you will spend 98% of your time underwater so all is good.

Innotech

Banned
well Ive finally seen just about everything, but one major creature I have not seen is the
blue whale
. where exactly is it?

Also, the
abyss
is absolutely SPECTACULAR.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Innotech said:
Also, the
abyss
is absolutely SPECTACULAR.
except the
tiger shark, anglerfish and pointy thing dont want to be my friends. :( at least i can recognize two of them without the game telling me. :)

Innotech

Banned
Dice said:
except the
tiger shark, anglerfish and pointy thing dont want to be my friends. :( at least i can recognize two of them without the game telling me. :)
same. I cant seem to "identify" those although I know what everything is in that area.
Whoever said the
oarfish
wasnt that great is wrong. It is MAGNIFICENT.

Flynn

I got inspired by the game to create some mixed 10-20 minute-long mp3s.

Endless Ocean Mini-Mixes.jpg

I've got zShare files of all ten tracks posted on my blog.

EDIT: I'm killing the .zip I hosted on my site. My bandwidth is getting murdered! Thanks for all the interest!

I think my one major screw up was in giving the file names generic names. The stupid mp3 player in the game won't show the name in the tags, just the file name. I'm too tired to change everything.

On the music. I started out trying to grab relaxing music, but my brain just wouldn't let me. So the music is kinda weird -- still ambient, but a little twisted. I kinda find undersea life a little alien, so the music sorta suits that impression. Maybe you'll like it. Anyway, I'd love to see some other folks share their themed mixes too.

Here's a tracklisting:

1.Asea
Neu! - “Im Glück” from Neu! 1
Tortoise - “Along The Banks of Rivers” from Millions Now Living Will Never Die
Booka Shade - “ Lost High” from Movements
Eluvium - “Under the Water it Glowed” from Indecipherable Text

2.Shimmering
Kraftwerk - “Heimatklange” from Ralf & Florian
Growing - “Cumulusless” from Color Wheel
The Orb - “Falkenbrück” from Okie Dokie It's The Orb On Kompakt
David Bowie - “Subterraneans” from Low

3.Submerged
Symbiosis - “Umbra” from Clandestine Electronic Subculture
Massive Attack & Mad Professor - “Moving Dub (Better Things)” from No Protection
Fila Brazillia - “Weasel Out Of The Muck” from Luck Be a Weirdo Tonight
Mr. Scruff - “Fish” from Keep It Unreal

4.Other
Brian Eno and David Byrne - “Mountain of Needles” from My Life in the Bush of Ghosts
Ghost - “Daggma” from Snuffbox Immanence
Animal Collective - “Throwin the Round Ball” from Danse Manatee
Hu Vibrational - “Friends and Gardens (Corker / Conboy Mix)” from Microsolutions #1

5.Surge
Steve Reich - “Section 7” from Music For 18 Musicians
Andrew Thomas - “Untitled” from Fearsome Jewel
Apparat - “Not a Number” from Walls
Hu Vibrational - “We Walk” from Beautiful: Boonghee Music 2
The Art of Noise - “Moments in Love” from The Best of The Art of Noise

6.Sonar
Cornelius - “Wataridori” from Sensuous
Sam Prekop - “Faces and People” from Sam Prekop
Tortoise - “Dear Grandma and Grandpa” from Millions Now Living Will Never Die
Can - “Sing Swan Song” from Ege Bamyasi

7.Siren
Uli Teichmann - “Piano Tec” from Pop Ambient 2006
Tim Buckley - “Song to the Siren” from Starsailor
Radiohead - “All I Need” from In Rainbows
Labradford - “and Jonathan Morken. Photo provided by ” from E Luxo So

8.Topside Tracks 1
Manu Chao - “Me Llaman Calle” from La Radiolina
Joe Strummer - “Filibustero” from Walker Original Soundtrack
Peter King - “Mr. Lonely Wolf” from Shango

9.Topside Tracks 2
The Beach Boys - “Don't Go Near the Water” from Surf's Up
Gal Costa - “Que Pena (ele já não gosta mais de mim)” from Gal Costa
Grupo Oba-Ilu - “Shango” from Santeria: Songs for the Orishas

10.Topside Tracks 3
The Maytals - “Pressure Drop” from The Harder They Come Original Soundtrack
Sound Dimension - “Solas” from Jamaica Soul Shake Vol.1
Prince Jammy - “Fist of Fury” from Trojan Dub Box Set Vol. 2

Amir0x

Banned
Bebpo said:

Endless Ocean, to a gamer, is a bit peculiar at first. There are definable goals and such, but they're so thin that it never really seems like a major thing on your mind. What that eventually does is create this sense where you're mostly diving to enjoy the relaxing atmosphere and see different creatures, but at any time if you want to feel like you're doing something noteworthy that's an option too. Essentially, it's skirting the line of non-game without ever actually being one... which is for my money so much more satisfying.

The game is meant to be played in moderate bursts, because if you fill up too fast it'll get boring and you'll lose your motivation to continue though.

Amir0x said:

Ouch! I bought both games and both are amazingly enjoyable, albit for different reasons but still.

I noticed that when playing online with someone, it doesnt uncover any of the map on your single player game. Also it seems like things are marked as prominent on your map when in single player but yet that doesnt occur in new areas on co-op.

Also anyone else kinda dissapointed that all co-op really works out as is a virtual exploration and find new fish? I wish you could do the actually missions together.

But this is all really just nit picking either way. Game is amazing on so many levels.

Flynn said:
I got inspired by the game to create some mixed 10-20 minute-long mp3s.

Endless Ocean Mini-Mixes.jpg

I've got zShare files of all ten tracks posted on my blog.

Or you can grab the .zip file here.

I think my one major screw up was in giving the file names generic names. The stupid mp3 player in the game won't show the name in the tags, just the file name. I'm too tired to change everything.

On the music. I started out trying to grab relaxing music, but my brain just wouldn't let me. So the music is kinda weird -- still ambient, but a little twisted. I kinda find undersea life a little alien, so the music sorta suits that impression. Maybe you'll like it. Anyway, I'd love to see some other folks share their themed mixes too.

Here's a tracklisting:

1.Asea
Neu! - “Im Glück” from Neu! 1
Tortoise - “Along The Banks of Rivers” from Millions Now Living Will Never Die
Booka Shade - “ Lost High” from Movements
Eluvium - “Under the Water it Glowed” from Indecipherable Text

2.Shimmering
Kraftwerk - “Heimatklange” from Ralf & Florian
Growing - “Cumulusless” from Color Wheel
The Orb - “Falkenbrück” from Okie Dokie It's The Orb On Kompakt
David Bowie - “Subterraneans” from Low

3.Submerged
Symbiosis - “Umbra” from Clandestine Electronic Subculture
Massive Attack & Mad Professor - “Moving Dub (Better Things)” from No Protection
Fila Brazillia - “Weasel Out Of The Muck” from Luck Be a Weirdo Tonight
Mr. Scruff - “Fish” from Keep It Unreal

4.Other
Brian Eno and David Byrne - “Mountain of Needles” from My Life in the Bush of Ghosts
Ghost - “Daggma” from Snuffbox Immanence
Animal Collective - “Throwin the Round Ball” from Danse Manatee
Hu Vibrational - “Friends and Gardens (Corker / Conboy Mix)” from Microsolutions #1

5.Surge
Steve Reich - “Section 7” from Music For 18 Musicians
Andrew Thomas - “Untitled” from Fearsome Jewel
Apparat - “Not a Number” from Walls
Hu Vibrational - “We Walk” from Beautiful: Boonghee Music 2
The Art of Noise - “Moments in Love” from The Best of The Art of Noise

6.Sonar
Cornelius - “Wataridori” from Sensuous
Sam Prekop - “Faces and People” from Sam Prekop
Tortoise - “Dear Grandma and Grandpa” from Millions Now Living Will Never Die
Can - “Sing Swan Song” from Ege Bamyasi

7.Siren
Uli Teichmann - “Piano Tec” from Pop Ambient 2006
Tim Buckley - “Song to the Siren” from Starsailor
Radiohead - “All I Need” from In Rainbows
Labradford - “and Jonathan Morken. Photo provided by ” from E Luxo So

8.Topside Tracks 1
Manu Chao - “Me Llaman Calle” from La Radiolina
Joe Strummer - “Filibustero” from Walker Original Soundtrack
Peter King - “Mr. Lonely Wolf” from Shango

9.Topside Tracks 2
The Beach Boys - “Don't Go Near the Water” from Surf's Up
Gal Costa - “Que Pena (ele já não gosta mais de mim)” from Gal Costa
Grupo Oba-Ilu - “Shango” from Santeria: Songs for the Orishas

10.Topside Tracks 3
The Maytals - “Pressure Drop” from The Harder They Come Original Soundtrack
Sound Dimension - “Solas” from Jamaica Soul Shake Vol.1
Prince Jammy - “Fist of Fury” from Trojan Dub Box Set Vol. 2

HOLY FUCKING SHIT THANKS. not only did you go the extra mile and put this together for everyone, but your musical tastes seem to be a mirror image of my own. Scuba Diving to Mr. Scruff - Fish FTMFW.

thank you! :D

StranGER

started playing last night and in 30 minutes the music and water had me so relaxed i started falling asleep.

a neat concept so far. not sure how far i'll ever get into it though.

Flynn

jgkspsx said:
Those fookin' rock, man. NEU!

straydog1980 said:
HOLY FUCKING SHIT THANKS. not only did you go the extra mile and put this together for everyone, but your musical tastes seem to be a mirror image of my own. Scuba Diving to Mr. Scruff - Fish FTMFW.

thank you! :D

Thanks, guys.

stewacide

Not being able to transfer your developed photos to the 'net is by far the worst thing about the game. How on earth could they leave this out?!?!?! Absolutely dumbfounding.

Perhaps someone could figure out how to extract them from the save file?

Kuran

Banned
Err. I just heard on the CAGcast that EGM chose not to review Endless Ocean because they don't consider it a game/because there's not enough substance.

Is this true? And have we already discussed that in this thread..? I'm really upset about it, actually.

Dice

Innotech said:
same. I cant seem to "identify" those although I know what everything is in that area.
Whoever said the
oarfish
wasnt that great is wrong. It is MAGNIFICENT.
Hmmm, well my blue planet dvd's just told me I was wrong about the first one and told me what the other was. I also understand what is going on with that whole scene a lot better now. I highly recommend accompanying this game with blue planet dvds!

Koomaster

Kuran said:
Err. I just heard on the CAGcast that EGM chose not to review Endless Ocean because they don't consider it a game/because there's not enough substance.

Is this true? And have we already discussed that in this thread..? I'm really upset about it, actually.
Sounds like it, they pretty much dissed it in this month's issue in the 'Reviews Wrap-Up' section. :(

They said they are using it to kick off 'Electronic Nongaming Monthly'

Bottom Line: If I were to rate Endless Ocean on a scale between "biology class" and a "night dive in the actual ocean," I'd give it a "trip to Wal-Mart's aquarium aisle."

:( :( :(

Such a shame since I'm absolutely in love with the game. Got No More Heroes on the same day and Endless Ocean takes up just as much if not a bit more of my gaming time! I'm totally hooked on taking photos. Is there any way to transfer them to your PC at all? Seems like a major feature that's missing and is really my only complaint.

In anycase, I hope Nintendo create a sequel for this, I'd grab it in a heartbeat!

Dice

:lol @ pretentious nerds

sorry your narrow interests are being attacked, but some of us quite enjoy the new places nintendo is taking digital interactive entertainment :p

Bildi

Kuran said:

Since gaming started decades ago, there have always been bitter people complaining that gaming isn't moving in the direction they want. And after 25 years or whatever of bitter complaining, somehow we're all enjoying games that we want, whether it be Gears of War or Endless Ocean. In another 25 years, the same diversity will probably still exist.

I wouldn't pay attention to EGM, we're all getting what we want and they can't change that. Tough for them.

Innotech

Banned
Dice said:
Hmmm, well my blue planet dvd's just told me I was wrong about the first one and told me what the other was. I also understand what is going on with that whole scene a lot better now. I highly recommend accompanying this game with blue planet dvds!
Oh trust me Ive had the Blue Panet DVD set for a good while now. I pretty much picked it up the moment it was available. When I first saw that tiny little snippet of footage of Endless Ocean in the intial Wii games reel at E3 I was ECSTATIC. The game very much lived up to my lofty expectations and then some.

However, I still want to know, where can I find the
BLue Whale
jellyfishes
octopus
, and
glass squid
?

P.S. Fuck EGM and fuck their dog.

Innotech

Banned
Dice said:
except the
by the way, the "pointy thing" is a
gulper eel

Deku

Banned
Dice said:
:lol @ pretentious nerds

sorry your narrow interests are being attacked, but some of us quite enjoy the new places nintendo is taking digital interactive entertainment :p

I'm not even sure they are real nerds. More like recently displaced console fanboys.

It's a very nerdy concept to want to explore things and there were several great PC games built back in the day on the concept of doing nothing but exploring a hypothetical galaxy.

Star Control being the most massively successful of them all.

Grampasso

Dice said:
except the
Trying doing something different beside patting and touching them.
Using the pen could be good. Remember they live in a dark environment

kizmah

Kuran said:

If this is true they are nothing but a bunch of nerdy idiots.

Got my first whale cutscene! I had 'Roslin and Adama' from the Battlestar Galactica S2 OST on and the sperm whale appeared just when the song hit the crescendo. It was fucking epic.

I'm totally going to laugh my ass off if EO sells more than a million WW.

Scrubking

Kuran said:

EGM Morons said:
Why isn't it a game?
Endless Ocean gives you a sailboat and a stretch of the South Pacific to explore at 10 fathoms. What it doesn't give you is danger, conflict, enemies, a story, obstacles a health bar, bosses... you know, game stuff. You don't even have to worry about your air supply. Ever tried diving without an air guage? Diving's a supersafe sport, but if you don't follow a few simple rules, you could rupture your lungs or catch agonizing decompression sickness or just drift into a happy warm funk until you run out of air. I'm not saying EO needs to give players the bends, but it'd be nice if the occasional fish at least tried to eat you.

Wait, you mean the fish don't bite?
Nope, not even when you chum the water and then reach out to pet them with your Wii remote. EO's fauna - both the fish below and hte birds above the water - exist solely to satisfy your critter-molestation desires. It's be like Mario going to the Mushroom Kingdom just to grope all the Goombas and the Koopas. At least the manta ray in Super Mario Galaxy will kill ya if you ride him wrong, for cryin' out loud. Your goal here ultimately is to catalog as many fish as you can get in petting distance, stopping along the way to give dive tours to tourists who want in on the hot fin-petting action. And if that sounds more like work than a game, then bingo - That's why EO kicks off our inaugural installment of Electronic Nongaming Monthly. - Crispin Boyer

And these are so-called professionals. I've lost all respect for EGM/1up and the people who like them.

Edit: The game DOES have an air guage that runs out and forces you to come up.

EGM are so hardcore. I heard one of them lets his hair grow longer than the average hair length of his demographic. They're gamerz (I tried writing with a s, but it kept turning into a Z due to their high gamer-cred).

What's funny is that EGM is the definition of mainstream gaming journalism aimed at the most casual of gamers.

Tab0203

Crispin Boyer said:
Why isn't it a game?
Endless Ocean gives you a sailboat and a stretch of the South Pacific to explore at 10 fathoms. What it doesn't give you is danger, conflict, enemies, a story, obstacles a health bar, bosses... you know, game stuff. You don't even have to worry about your air supply. Ever tried diving without an air guage? Diving's a supersafe sport, but if you don't follow a few simple rules, you could rupture your lungs or catch agonizing decompression sickness or just drift into a happy warm funk until you run out of air. I'm not saying EO needs to give players the bends, but it'd be nice if the occasional fish at least tried to eat you.

Wait, you mean the fish don't bite?
Nope, not even when you chum the water and then reach out to pet them with your Wii remote. EO's fauna - both the fish below and hte birds above the water - exist solely to satisfy your critter-molestation desires. It's be like Mario going to the Mushroom Kingdom just to grope all the Goombas and the Koopas. At least the manta ray in Super Mario Galaxy will kill ya if you ride him wrong, for cryin' out loud. Your goal here ultimately is to catalog as many fish as you can get in petting distance, stopping along the way to give dive tours to tourists who want in on the hot fin-petting action. And if that sounds more like work than a game, then bingo - That's why EO kicks off our inaugural installment of Electronic Nongaming Monthly. - Crispin Boyer
:lol It must suck to review games for a living. Imagine playing through this game in a few hours/days... What an idiot.

Edit:
Scrubking said:
Don't forget goals/assignments/missions with winning conditions (find treasures to unlock stuff, new areas to explore, animals, diving gear to stay underwater longer,night diving lamp, suits, gloves, fins etc.; Guides and pictures for magazines get rated A-D iirc. Cover story/medium/small article/rejected)
and the girl's story.

Youtube comment: "thats gay how you cant die and the fish are so friendly."

Gagaman

I had a feeling the reviews for this game would completely miss the point of it, but bloody hell, they're really showing themselves up. Not that I've ever really liked 1up's reviews anyway. Just curious, did they ever do the same thing with Nintendogs?

(Oh, and the game does have a story once you get further into it..)

So far this is probably one of my favorite games on the Wii to date, a real breath of fresh air. I've so far pumped about 6 or 7 hours into it.

Koomaster

Scrubking said:
Yep, it takes a while for it to run out tho as I found out the other day when I spent I think 90 minutes exploring one awesome area. ^______^

Which is another thing, if you get sucked into the game, time passes by pretty quickly. Most of the time I will be down for at least an hour and not even realize it till I come back up and view my dive time. I'll usually go; "56 minutes?! No way! That felt like no time!" :)

Koomaster said:
Most of the time I will be down for at least an hour and not even realize it till I come back up and view my dive time. I'll usually go; "56 minutes?! No way! That felt like no time!" :)

Same here. You start diving and think maybe 30 mins have passed but its been over an hour. I've had a few friends sit down and just become completely absorbed in this game.

Innotech

Banned
The little graphical tricks employed in this game are really something. Like how the depth of view in the water is extremely realistically portrayed. Even in areas devoid of much sea life Im still amazed by the sheer spectacle of the ocean floor and coral reef designs not to mention
THOSE UNDERWATER CAVES

and yeah I found out the limited air supply thing quite quickly :lol

jgkspsx

1up gave it an 8 and a fairly glowing review.

I have to say, though it's quite enjoyable, that the lack of realism is kind of a turn-off. It's nice that they have information about critters, but penguins and polar bears in the same stretch of ocean is a little... much. I'd rather have seen a single, realistic stretch of ocean, I think.

But the life bar... :lol Crispin, if a big shark attacks you, your "health bar" doesn't decrease. You might lose an appendage or you might die. If you're lucky you might just have scars the rest of your life. But the hospital simulator part of the game would have been no fun at all.

Top Bottom