• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Endless Space |Intel Thread| 4X Space Strategy by ex-Ubi/EA devs

Can you take over systems just by your other systems influence? Sort of like you can do in Civ? Or is force the only way possible?

Also, is there any reason to exploit an asteroid belt? It doesn't seem like any of the bonuses apply to them.

8. Pirates will spawn on any unoccupied system, they're annoying. They can't travel through wormholes. They can be turned off when setting up a game.

Just like Civ, I'll take my scout units and plant them around my solar system, to lift the fog of war and keep them from spawning.

MasLegio

Banned
i have bought the game and am playing for the first time but the text looks shit in 1366x768. Anyway to make the text (fonts) a bit bigger and softer?

what difficult level should i begin with?
newbie?

chiablo

Can you take over systems just by your other systems influence? Sort of like you can do in Civ? Or is force the only way possible?

Also, is there any reason to exploit an asteroid belt? It doesn't seem like any of the bonuses apply to them.

I believe influence determines where planets can be colonized. If your sphere of influence overlaps a star system, you are the only one who can colonize that system.

I think...

maybe...

Darklord

Banned
2 things.

How do I build new ship classes? In the tech tree I have destroyers and cruiser yet can only build the first 3 basic ships?

How do I get to stars with that wavier line to them? An upgrade?

chiablo

2 things.

How do I build new ship classes? In the tech tree I have destroyers and cruiser yet can only build the first 3 basic ships?

How do I get to stars with that wavier line to them? An upgrade?

There's an icon along the top left for fleet management. Go in there and click the Add button to create a new ship type. The ship classes are listed in the upper right.

There's an upgrade about half-way through the colonization tree that gives you access to wormholes. You need that.

Darklord

Banned
There's an icon along the top left for fleet management. Go in there and click the Add button to create a new ship type. The ship classes are listed in the upper right.

It's still just the 3 I can modify though. And adding one just lets be fully mod one of the stock 3. I unlocked another one too and still can't see any of them. I'm kinda fucked now too because pirates keep showing up that are 4 and 5 times stronger than my ships. I need those new ones and I can't built them. :x

Indeed, look for "Applied Casimir Effect" and you'll be good to go.

Ah, that one! Thanks.

It's still just the 3 I can modify though. And adding one just lets be fully mod one of the stock 3. I unlocked another one too and still can't see any of them. I'm kinda fucked now too because pirates keep showing up that are 4 and 5 times stronger than my ships. I need those new ones and I can't built them. :x

Hmm...if you've researched new ship types, they really should appear as a choice once you click the ADD button in the military/fleet menu. Not sure what's going on.

Atomski

I know nothing about this game other than it looks cool.

If I am a big fan of Civ games would this be up my alley?

Ah, that one! Thanks.
You may be missing the appropriate strategic resource for new ship hulls.

A couple of guys on another forum have been playing this and have lots of praise for it. Will probably pick it up some time this week. However I've only got access to my laptop at the moment so not entirely sure if it will run fine.

I know nothing about this game other than it looks cool.

If I am a big fan of Civ games would this be up my alley?

I've never played Masters of Orion, but I've always been a fan of Civ. I bought Endless Space on Friday night, and I've played 12 hours since then... so yeah, I think if you like Civ you'll like this.

calder

Looks good, just downloading it now. May hit up some faqs while I wait to play, looks deliciously complicated.

Flambe

Having lots of fun but it's hard locking my computer up bad, to the point it won't read my OS hard drive after reboot until I'm assuming it cools down o.o

Haven't had a problem playing anything on this rig until now lol. When I get home I need to make sure vsync is on after reading their forums.

Oppo

Ok I'm going to go play this game now. if its not good I'm going to come back here and kill everyone. Wish us luck!

Taruranto

Dammit, i'm a huge sci-fi fan, but i really suck at this kind of games, i just don't have the patience, ahah.

Still, this one seemed really interesting, and i gave it a shoot.

Anyway, questions time: Is it normal my ship disappear once i try to colonize a new planet in a new system?

Dammit, i'm a huge sci-fi fan, but i really suck at this kind of games, i just don't have the patience, ahah.

Still, this one seemed really interesting, and i gave it a shoot.

Anyway, questions time: Is it normal my ship disappear once i try to colonize a new planet in a new system?

If it's a Colony ship, or the alien equivalent, then yes.

I see, thanks.

Anyway, i just had the pleasure to meet the pirates, and they completely kicked the shit out of me. Time to restart i guess. (and to read these damn tutorials. again.)

I'd recommend, at least for the first few games before you get a handle on the early game, turning the pirates off in the advanced game options. They can really wreck house and are often hideously unbalanced thorns in your side.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh. I just played my first game where I ended up getting the crap kicked out of me. Playing a multiplayer match with a friend on a huge twin elliptical map as the Empire. There were 10 systems in my starting area between two wormholes. Counting my homeworld, there were 4 terran planets, 2 oceans, a decent amount of arid/tundra and a buttload of arctic, lava, barren and gas giants. To make things worse there were a large number of extreme negative anomalies that made trying to settle on any of these planets a huge pain for my happiness rating.

My home system was medium terran, large gas methane, small lava. Oh and the lava world was toxic.

I ended up screwing myself over by not making a beeline for casimir effect and trying to wipe out the cravers south-west of me when I had the chance. His planets couldn't possible have been any worse than mine and for awhile I had him beaten by 3-1 in military strength, but couldn't get to him.

My only saving grace was my missile boats that made any enemy fleet pay dearly when they came after me. I could exploit suicide missile boats for cheap, but my economy wasn't strong enough to be able to take the fight to the enemy.

I've found pirates to be a distraction and a nuisance but I kind of like having them around. I'll often fall into a habit of having a wall of ships near my greatest threat but having pirates about kept me on my toes with a more equal distribution of firepower through my empire.

I've only played one long game so far, though, so maybe I'll get tired of them. They did inspire me to create a fast picket ship class, which was a battleship with engine upgrades designed to quickly respond to pirate attacks. I had a couple of small fleets of those and they were fun shifting around to threats.

Edit:
My only saving grace was my missile boats that made any enemy fleet pay dearly when they came after me. I could exploit suicide missile boats for cheap, but my economy wasn't strong enough to be able to take the fight to the enemy.

One of the enemies in my game had a sudden shift to using missiles from kinetics halfway through a war, the result was that two of my main fleets were near wiped out even after winning battles. The thing about missiles, though, is that a) they're comically easy to counter with flak and b) suck in a weapons mix since kinetics/beams will destroy targets before the missiles get there.

Totakeke

Anyone tried the multiplayer? I've learned not to pin any hopes on multiplayer for 4x games but is this any different?

Normal seems a bit easy after understanding the game mechanics much better, and the races didn't seem to have much actual personality in the game. Maybe I need to dial the difficulty up.

But as usual, 4x games including this one usually are poor in informing the player the cost of their choices. The tax rate being one of them that would really destroy your economy by overbuilding improvements if you didn't know how it works.

Also, need more hotkeys and information screens. Where do you see your victory scores?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I'm hosting a public multiplayer game right now if anyone is down! I'm hoping this one makes it all the way through before everyone disconnects.

So how does the multiplayer work? Multi-session or is the time scale compressed? Seems like games would run a long, long time.

Note: I've never done 4x online so I don't know anything about it.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
So how does the multiplayer work? Multi-session or is the time scale compressed? Seems like games would run a long, long time.

Note: I've never done 4x online so I don't know anything about it.

It can run forever if not restricted correctly. A Fast game with a turn timer keeps it reasonable.

I've found pirates to be a distraction and a nuisance but I kind of like having them around.

I feel the same way, as with Civilization and barbs too. I mean, Barb/Pirates suck, and you could easily turn them off, but they bring a sort of balance to the game, forcing you to keep your defenses up and staying mindful.

Darklord

Banned
I found the unlocked hulls. They weren't showing before then just showed up. How do I make a bigger fleet? Can I even? I can only have 2 battleships and a destroyer, which can't hold up against a 2100 power enrmy fleet.

Ugh. I just played my first game where I ended up getting the crap kicked out of me. Playing a multiplayer match with a friend on a huge twin elliptical map as the Empire. There were 10 systems in my starting area between two wormholes. Counting my homeworld, there were 4 terran planets, 2 oceans, a decent amount of arid/tundra and a buttload of arctic, lava, barren and gas giants. To make things worse there were a large number of extreme negative anomalies that made trying to settle on any of these planets a huge pain for my happiness rating.

My home system was medium terran, large gas methane, small lava. Oh and the lava world was toxic.

I ended up screwing myself over by not making a beeline for casimir effect and trying to wipe out the cravers south-west of me when I had the chance. His planets couldn't possible have been any worse than mine and for awhile I had him beaten by 3-1 in military strength, but couldn't get to him.

Game sounds damn good. If only I knew what the hell I was doing :\

I found the unlocked hulls. They weren't showing before then just showed up. How do I make a bigger fleet? Can I even? I can only have 2 battleships and a destroyer, which can't hold up against a 2100 power enrmy fleet.

try to research upgrades that increase the command point cap.
It essentailly boils down to fleets having a size of 5 command points at the beginning with larger ships costing more points, but that might vary between races

also be aware of the fact that you can just open up exusting ship designs and auto-upgrade them with the latest researched tech pretty much as a version upgrade. you can then retrofit existing ships with the new tech for money to get higher power levels

Came back to this last night after a brief one/two week break. Hadn't played since the Beta finished, so sinking some time in post-full release was great.

Even better than I remember it. 4 hours later I was totally hooked again. This game is crack.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I assume I get more solar system upgrades by developing my tech tree? Are those in a specific branch of the tech tree? Player for 30 rounds, now I cant build anything anymore.

A few more questions:
1. Is it advisable to conquer every solar system in the long run or should I leave some out? What makes one solar system preferable over another?
2. Same issue for the planets. Are planetes below a certain population size useless? Should I always go for monopolies if possible? Should I colonize every planet in a solar system that I already colonized in?
3. Is there a certain start tech combination that people use most of the time?
4. How to deal with overpopulation? Make new colony ships?
5. I had a 90 DMG defender fighting and losing against a 30DMG scout. I had no clue what to do in that manual fight. Help.
6. Does food do anything else other than population growth? I can put it back as far as I can so as not to get into any trouble with overpopulation, as soon as they have the max population (and I don't want to build any colony ships there?)
7. How is it being determined which planet loses population when I create a colony ship in a solar system?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Yes, I don't remember which tree but I want to say the right side mainly. You should be able to hover your mouse over them and they will say 'system upgrade' or something to that effect.

Not sure if you could use the search to find them.

EDIT: Here you go, check here.

Thanks! I added some more questions to that post if you happen to have an answer to those too :)

Kalnos

Banned
I will try to help tomorrow morning if no one else has responded back Toma, I tried to answer a few.

1. Is it advisable to conquer every solar system in the long run or should I leave some out? What makes one solar system preferable over another?

Pretty rough question. I wouldn't over-expand. Luxury/Strategic resources are one big draw to colonizing systems early on and you can tell if they're there after certain tech is researched. Defending wormhole exits (swirly lines) seems to be important so expanding at the exits to wormholes is also important.

So basically consider the attributes on planets, the resources, their location in the grand scheme of things, etc.

There are system improvements that increase approval, certain heroes have special abilities that help with system governing when you attach them to a system, colony ships if you want to temporarily decrease the population by 1.

6. Does food do anything else other than population growth? I can put it back as far as I can so as not to get into any trouble with overpopulation, as soon as they have the max population (and I don't want to build any colony ships there?)

Hover over the food icon and it should tell you.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
I assume I get more solar system upgrades by developing my tech tree? Are those in a specific branch of the tech tree? Player for 30 rounds, now I cant build anything anymore.

A few more questions:
2. Same issue for the planets. Are planetes below a certain population size useless? Should I always go for monopolies if possible? Should I colonize every planet in a solar system that I already colonized in?
3. Is there a certain start tech combination that people use most of the time?
5. I had a 90 DMG defender fighting and losing against a 30DMG scout. I had no clue what to do in that manual fight. Help.
7. How is it being determined which planet loses population when I create a colony ship in a solar system?

Solar system upgrades are split between all 4 tech trees.

Top: System Defense and Ship Production (More XP/health on construction)
Left: Food, Dust and Happiness
Right: Science and Production
Bottom: Special (Extra people slots, bonus to all resources)

2. Don't colonize everything in a system right away. Most planet types have penalties to happiness which will limit how quickly you expand within a system. Expand when you can afford the happiness hit and don't have any space left on already colonized planets.
3. I typically play Empire so I start with the first industry tech. That +10 industry is really helpful getting systems started off. After that I either grab arid/tundra based on what I find nearby followed with the first food exploitation tech to help my systems grow faster. Where I go from there varies.
5. That can happen depending on how you and the enemy have configured your ships. Having a higher attack doesn't guarantee victory. The enemy might have better defences, or possibly just the right defences in order to block the damage you are doing. Additionally it may have picked the right cards during the fight to counter your strengths.
7. The game will try to automatically shuffle your population between planets to maintain optimal production levels. It'll take away a population unit from the least productive planet.

DTKT

Yeah, I definitively made the mistake of colonizing everything. Barren, arid and lava planets are not nice plane to live! Killed my empire happiness and forced me to spec heroes in +happy perks. :|

I might as well restart the game.

Zaptruder

Banned
Yeah, I definitively made the mistake of colonizing everything. Barren, arid and lava planets are not nice plane to live! Killed my empire happiness and forced me to spec heroes in +happy perks. :|

Alternatively, do expand into planets with luxuries on them. That will normally more than counteract the rest of unhappiness caused by expanding into the rest of the system.

kukouri

Neo Member

On the bright side, you have the happiest heros in the galaxy.

If you can, try and get Infinite Supermarkets early on in the game. This system development does wonders to negate unhappiness when settling on less-than-desirable planets. If you play UE especially and you've got the dust to spare in the early game, I suggest experimenting with outright buying Infinite Supermarkets and then starting with planetary exploits such as food.

Toma

Thanks for the answers!

Top Bottom