• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Engadget: Xbox is poised to dominate the next console generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

demigod

Got nothing to do with ME champ. Not sure where that came from but...

...then when you try to tell people that gamers are off about how gaming works from the inside, they tell you, you're wrong. Lol. Laughable.

I can GUARANTEE developers and those who work on the inside of the gaming industry laugh at about 99% of the posts they read on forums - simply because arm chair devs, marketing PR's and Cloud techs have no clue what the hell they're talking about. I dont work in the gaming bizz but I'm "pretty close" - my industry is more like a first cousin. And I can tell you, most of you are just......off.

But have it. Great reading this stuff none-the-less.

You were proven wrong many times, but go ahead and tell us what we don't know MisterMedia X.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Dirty secret, but they also laugh at 99% of "positive journalism" on the web.

Oh SNAP! It's Fafalada! Is this the same dude that used to school us on console tech and explain how devs thought when they makes games back over on B3D Forums like 10-15 years ago?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The bolded is just so wrong that I almost spit up my water lol. MS did not change that narrative. Active users and subscriptions matter, yes. But acting as if console sales numbers don't matter, is Microsoft's PR excuse to not release numbers. They are "trying" to change the narrative, but smart people will understand how dumb that really is and not listen to that noise.

More hardware sales, lead to more active users and subscriptions. It goes hand and hand. No reason to act like 50 million console unit sales per console generation is a great thing.

Let's say not officially then. It's not next gen yet so there's time left for anything to happen. I mean you can disagree and I'm not saying I'm absolutely right, but I can't see it going the other way. There is a paradigm shift coming. It's being lightly forced on us by the media and Microsoft right now. It started this generation with Microsoft refusing to post numbers about it's console sales. Most say it was because they were losing, badly, but you'd be a fool to think that's the whole story. They are actively trying to change the narrative not only on this, but on other aspects of gaming as well. Crossplay is a prime example of this. Remember when Nintendo backed out of the console wars. People initially said it was because they can't compete on the level of Sony or Microsoft. Fast forward to today and nobody is comparing them to Sony or Microsoft. You may get a few who talk about Wii sales of that generation, or Switch numbers today, but that really it. Nintendo was able to essentially place themselves slightly outside of the main battle. Sony and Microsoft fanboys don't dig on Nintendo much like they don't dig on PC. That wasn't always the case. The console wars used to be a 3 way battle in the Gamecube days. Microsoft is pulling something similar. They've already said their true competition is Google, not Sony. They have already stopped giving console console sales numbers. Next gen, I'm telling you bro...the narrative will change to active users, subscribers. Screenshot this post. Don't say I never tried to teach you something.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Let's say not officially then. It's not next gen yet so there's time left for anything to happen. I mean you can disagree and I'm not saying I'm absolutely right, but I can't see it going the other way. There is a paradigm shift coming. It's being lightly forced on us by the media and Microsoft right now. It started this generation with Microsoft refusing to post numbers about it's console sales. Most say it was because they were losing, badly, but you'd be a fool to think that's the whole story. They are actively trying to change the narrative not only on this, but on other aspects of gaming as well. Crossplay is a prime example of this. Remember when Nintendo backed out of the console wars. People initially said it was because they can't compete on the level of Sony or Microsoft. Fast forward to today and nobody is comparing them to Sony or Microsoft. You may get a few who talk about Wii sales of that generation, or Switch numbers today, but that really it. Nintendo was able to essentially place themselves slightly outside of the main battle. Sony and Microsoft fanboys don't dig on Nintendo much like they don't dig on PC. That wasn't always the case. The console wars used to be a 3 way battle in the Gamecube days. Microsoft is pulling something similar. They've already said their true competition is Google, not Sony. They have already stopped giving console console sales numbers. Next gen, I'm telling you bro...the narrative will change to active users, subscribers. Screenshot this post. Don't say I never tried to teach you something.

Of course you try to disrupt (the most apt word on this actually, much like Nintendo did on a product level with the Wii) an existing negative narrative that does not suit you and you may cry you are not competing with this or that but it has zero relevance on anything much. Nintendo started singing that song a lot earlier than the launch of Switch... did not do the Wii U much good if anything. Of course their fans will pick this up and repeat it and if you have friendly media they will repeat it too (does not mean it is necessarily true either).

Xbox LIVE thanks to its multiple format status may keep on gaining subscribers and that helps, but first their competition is also gaining users by selling a lot of HW and making their offering available on other systems (see PSNow), but people will want to see the ARPU brought by those users which can also be a surprise (see revenue generated by the iOS App Store and Google Play on mobile).

I am not saying that MS is not positioning itself better and is not spending money well to correct mistakes and improve its image, they are. What I do see is that ultimately, it looks like everything they do is always part of this Uber master plan which only the most hopeful Xbox fans actually can see happening (and maybe not condescendingly try to “teach” others about).

There is a lot of effort on many topics to keep hitting on the same exact drums / taking points over and over and over and sure even controversy keeps topics titles in sight (helps people who only skim news to be influenced) and the more something is repeated the more it is believed generally... it is not a worthless tactic sure...

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Is it possible that you'll be correct? Yes, but I'd be surprised. Nintendo and Sony are openly posting numbers. The Japanese numbers come in every week and hardcore gamers like that stuff. And so do investors. The one big reason why MAUs can't be the "go to" number to use next-gen is that anybody can be a user. MS can count people that game "ONLY" on PC as a monthly active user as long as they have an Xbox Live account.

If Sony couples PS VUE to PS+ in the future, they could count all PS VUE users as subscribers too. It's too loose of a number to pinpoint and understand what it all really means. And the MAUs numbers go up and down too much for us gamers to make sense of it all.

They can try to change the narrative from HW sales to MAUs, but I'm willing to bet it won't work. But your post has been saved for future conversations lol.

nowhat

It started this generation with Microsoft refusing to post numbers about it's console sales.
The thing is, initially they did post the numbers. They only stopped when they weren't as favourable. Had they been competitive with the sales numbers, do you think they would still have stopped posting them?

thelastword

Banned
What? I didn't say you wanted Sony to have a monopoly, though reading parts of your past posts, I wouldn't be surprised if you do want that. I said you spout Sony-leaning vitriol, which you do, 100% percent of the time. That's called being a fanboy. I know and admit where Microsoft's shortcomings are. I also know where Sony's are and am not afraid to take either one to task for bullshit they pull. What I pointed out in my post wasn't necessarily about you...I just happened to mention your name as a point of reference, a comparison if you will. You're so quick to jump the gun that you find it necessary to defend yourself by actually proving my point. You don't have one good thing to say about Microsoft, not one bad thing to say about Sony. All in all, I shouldn't even be responding to this post because you bring nothing to the table in terms of an honest debate. I prefer not to have conversations like this with fanboys, on EITHER side, mainly because their point of views are unreasonable, unintelligent and lacking any type of substance. It's all propaganda and the mark of someone who lacks the brain power to think independently. I don't have time for that shit.
That post was so full of emotion, you're not fooling anyone without an X on their cape.......

Please don't try to pass yourself as non-biased, because from your rumblings you're clearly not. I don't need to hurl insults at you or feel the need to because, the whole point of this discussion is based on false information and wishful thinking. How comes MS, MS PR or even journalists don't do better than to intentionally fuel such debates based on coconut husk points. No one could have written such an article in good faith.....

When MS do rather than say, then they will have gamers attention, till then, it will only be the ever recurring decimal for as far as results are concerned.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Once they recognised from preorders and then actual sales how much behind they were and someone internally ran realistic projections of how it would turn out if they did not course correct they reacted and strongly (while I prefer a company starting out well instead of being forced by the market to behave well, hence why I respect MS for the introduction of the 360, albeit how they rushed it to market had some HW repercussions, and why I give props to Sony this gen for how they started and setup their generation ahead of time in the right way).

This is why I like how both MS and Sony rushes to save their generation and respect them for doing that, but I need to give props to their competitors who started the generation better and did not need to make as many amends.

Before this users were paying to browse the web or to use Netflix or MMO’s / F2P (all requires Xbox LIVE Gold, now only MMO’s and F2P games do), crossplay became an issue only (if you want to see it this way) when it could be a thorn in Sony’s side (it was ridiculous to see companies like Bethesda kind of imply Fallout 76 was going to be crossplay unless Sony changed their tune for this to completely change once Sony announced their change of intentions and plans).

The narrative around MS changed for sure (and Xbox owners should be happy that the company did not pull a Nintendo with the Wii U and abandoned the console albeit introducing the Xbox One X to change the narrative does not do much for the people who bought an OG Xbox One or an Xbox One S which was their first meaningful HW fix/speed bump but they did improve services and introduced enhanced BC support) , but part of it is the usual underdog perspective where the market leader that got there doing the work early and needed not to catchup to their competition is seeing in a much less favourable light than the competitor who is kind of beaten by the market into submission/changing their policies. Some of the media that is seeing Xbox Next as dominating next generation was saying the same before despite Sony being the most costumer friendly of the two (supporting cross play, supporting free online multiplayer and video streaming, etc... BC started as super top notch being compatible with PS1 and PS2 titles, but customers determined that they preferred them to focus on new games and lowering the cost of the console and they voted with their wallet... consumers seemingly gave up on BC and did so quite happily) and outselling their competition on a month by month basis for years which allowed to catch up... not a surprise it mostly happens in U.K. and U.S. media which are the areas where Xbox mindshare and popularity is the strongest. In some cases it kind of smells like they wish Sony would just go away ;).

I also think that there is this perception that they only mimic others and never innovate (see comment about GamePass and game downloads on PSNow... btw, PSNow allows you to play games in MP without paying for PS+ and has done so for a good long while while GamePass is on top of Xbox LIVE gold) and I do not think it is completely fair.

Some would argue that Sony didn't set up the generation right at the beginning. I would need to find an article about this, but I have heard that Sony planned on doing some of the same things what Microsoft was doing. They planned on including the camera with the system, because they how great the Kinect was selling. They cut it in the 11th hour to save costs which was a smart move and ultimately gave Sony a huge boost at the beginning of the generation. Microsoft bet on the wrong horse. However, I don't think it's fair to discredit Sony's business acumen simply because they had a kneejerk reaction to the backlash Don Mattrick was receiving. Could you imagine if both systems forced their camera on launch? It would've been a sad day in gaming. So I give Sony props for making that decision, be it reactionary or not.

I don't think that it was so much that Sony did the work early. I mean it took a couple of years before there were any worthy exclusive games on the system. Microsoft did indeed beat them to that punch this gen. It didn't matter though. they were slow to remove the Kinect and the price difference was a hurdle too high to jump, especially when the PS4 was more powerful. You can't have people paying more for a system that less powerful and includes something they don't even know if they want. Huge mistake on Microsoft's part.

Now when the X came out the power narrative changed, but the price didn't. What did change though was the value. The X is far and beyond more powerful than the PS4 Pro. Granted it came out a year later, I still don't think it was worth it for many people. It was worth it for me and I bought it on day 1. In my mind as a consumer, if I was going to do an upgrade, I wanted the best upgrade, regarding hardware. The difference between $400 and $500 didn't matter so much. The reason why is because, the narrative had indeed changed. It was somewhat the X vs the Pro....but the real comparison was that the X had in many ways, caught up with the PC. They launch with Forza 7 and the comparison to PC made it worth the value. A year later, I built my own PC. It can't do 4k 60fps in anything. The X can. Hell my PC's monitors aren't even capable of HDR. I already had a TV that could do that, which I bought a year before the X came out. So to be clear, I know my situation isn't the norm. At the time, a lot of folks were still on 1080p screens, still figuring out what HDR was and why it mattered and the question across several mainstream media and youtube channels was "Who is the X made for?". It just made sense to me. I spent $1500 on my PC and squeaked out a 1070ti with an i5 8400. That's 3 times as much as what I spent on the X. I was paying for framerate and functionality, as I stream 3 times or more a week so again, worth it for me, specifically. I'm rambling though. Back to your points.

You're absolutely right about about the narrative regarding the underdog story Microsoft has had. Sometimes "up and coming" is more exciting than "King of the Hill". It's fun to watch your team blow out the competition, but isn't it much more exciting to watch a nailbiter? The media's stories are doing exactly what they are designed to do. Build hype. It's boring to think that Sony will dominate next gen without any hope of Microsoft having a shot. Nobody wants to read that. I also think Sony knows that. So Sony is creating their own hype, which honestly, is genius. They are pulling a Goku moment. They are already a badass, but now they are going into the hyperbolic time chamber and dukin' it out with Gohan and will emerge in 2019 as Super Saiyan 2 Sony.

Sony was indeed the first to offer crossplay and I still have my BC PS3. I didn't buy it at $600 though and they were smart to release new SKU's. I think the timing of that change and the environment the change happened in is what allowed them to catch up. There was just one system, and Sony took care of the main issue, the price. They made the change early enough to allow them to catch up. They had a library of games people were dying to play but couldn't justify the cost. So when they eliminated the barrier, the flood gates opened. Again. Genius.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
That post was so full of emotion, you're not fooling anyone without an X on their cape.......

Please don't try to pass yourself as non-biased, because from your rumblings you're clearly not. I don't need to hurl insults at you or feel the need to because, the whole point of this discussion is based on false information and wishful thinking. How comes MS, MS PR or even journalists don't do better than to intentionally fuel such debates based on coconut husk points. No one could have written such an article in good faith.....

When MS do rather than say, then they will have gamers attention, till then, it will only be the ever recurring decimal for as far as results are concerned.

Read my last post. Full of Sony praise. Just for you baby.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I don't think that it was so much that Sony did the work early. I mean it took a couple of years before there were any worthy exclusive games on the system. Microsoft did indeed beat them to that punch this gen.

That is very subjective and debatable... two years? Mmm o_O... quite disagree with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom