• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Mother 3 Patch Thread! It's go time!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Tiktaalik said:
In case anyone has some spare time here's the famous 11,816 word long essay about Earthbound.

http://www.largeprimenumbers.com/article.php?sid=mother2

It's long and rambly of course, but there is actually some real research done and there are a few interesting anecdotes about Earthbound, how it was designed, the authors' theories of what it's about and about Earthbound's designer, Shigesato Itoi. It is possibly worth skimming.

His MOTHER 3 review is more relevant (and without spoilers): http://www.actionbutton.net/?p=422#more-422

I agree with sp0rsk when he says this is the best JRPG ever. If not, it at least is the most streamlined and polished JRPG up to date. There's absolutely nothing I think I could remove (or add) to make this game better. It is that good.

My favourite JRPG and third favourite game of all time. You MOTHER 3 virgins are in for a treat.

emilio

Can't wait. It's even more impressive if you think that the game itself was pretty difficult to hack, but they managed to do it regardless, translating and fixing every single little thing, even the intro/disclaimer screen. A top-notch, highly polished work.

Masked Man

I said wow
Tiktaalik said:
In case anyone has some spare time here's the famous 11,816 word long essay about Earthbound.

http://www.largeprimenumbers.com/article.php?sid=mother2

It's long and rambly of course, but there is actually some real research done and there are a few interesting anecdotes about Earthbound, how it was designed, the authors' theories of what it's about and about Earthbound's designer, Shigesato Itoi. It is possibly worth skimming.

Never read that before, but I feel so enlightened. I've forgotten much of EB, so I really need to go back and play it again, because this makes the game sound even better than I can remember.

(Now if only NoA would FINALLY release EB on the VC...)

XxenobladerxX said:
No. I mean Earth bound is a great rpg, but I feel that this is the best rpg:

5089.jpg

You're retarded.

Twig

Banned
flintstryker said:
This is a gba game so...
gba is just a pocket snes rite??

In six months I'll be in Japan, speaking broken Japanese. I don't know if it's worth waiting for that or just playing this fan translation now. I just don't know.

Masked Man

I said wow
TheOneGuy said:

In six months I'll be in Japan, speaking broken Japanese. I don't know if it's worth waiting for that or just playing this fan translation now. I just don't know.

Play it now. I imported the Japanese game not too long ago, and I still plan on playing this translation immediately.

TheOneGuy said:

Good luck finding Mother 3 in Japan these days. It's become quite the rarity.

TheOneGuy said:

It's out of print now. I was looking for it in some import shops when when I went to Baltimore, and was wished the best of luck, but told my best bet was Ebay.

MoogPaul

It's out of print and sold out because there was a glorious time where play asia was selling it for like 10 bucks. It was magical.

Twig

Banned
XxenobladerxX said:
Why because I like another game? Grow the fuck up.
Because you think Final Fantasy X, of all JRPGs, is better than Earthbound.

FINAL FANTASY.

X.

C'mon. You're either trolling or dumb for not expecting hostile responses after posting that in a thread about Mother 3. Earthbound has some of the most insane fans ever.

Seriously.

Masked Man

I said wow
crowphoenix said:
It's out of print now. I was looking for it in some import shops when when I went to Baltimore, and was wished the best of luck, but told my best bet was Ebay.

Yeah, eBay is the way to go. I got my copy for roughly $50 total or so (cost including shipping), and it arrived in mere days--even though it shipped from Japan. I almost caved and bought the Game Boy Micro package (FRANKLIN BADGE OMNOMNOM), but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. ;_;

kyle (in stereo) said:
You're retarded.
I know. People having different opinions than you is a completely retarded concept.

Anyways, I actually had a dream that I was playing Mother 3. Kinda weird for me considering how I'm not a big fan of the Mother series, and I've only played a few minutes of Earthbound. It must be from me reading this thread.

By the way: Final Fantasy X may just be my favorite RPG as well.

inner-G

Banned
Earthbound is My favorite RPG.
FFX is my 3rd favorite.

Both are great games.

I can't wait to finally play this. T_T I've been waiting since I was a kid.

Jme

Can anyone please recommend me a known, credible place to purchase the EZ Flash 3-in-1?

I found several websites selling it, including:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2967

But I just don't know if they are a trusted seller. Anyone have positive, first hand, experiences with them (or others?)

Point is, I really want to play this on real hardware, not an emulator.

DarknessTear said:
Wow. Only a few minutes? That would be your problem, then.
I'm not really a fan of the gameplay in Earthbound. I do love the humor, which would be my reason to play the game, but the battlesystem is so basic and boring. I find it odd and ironic that a lot of Earthbound fans bash SMRPG. But, whatever. I'm not going to be an asshole and laugh at you guys for having a different opinion than me because the concept of others having different view points than me isn't the hardest concept to understand like many GAFers may have you believe.

On the other hand, Mother 3 has me interested. It seems that the battlesystem was reworked to keep me from falling asleep. As I read in that review someone posted, the battles seem to require more skill to understand the rythme rather than endless hours of grinding.

inner-G

Banned
handofg0d said:
Can anyone please recommend me a known, credible place to purchase the EZ Flash 3-in-1?

I found several websites selling it, including:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2967

But I just don't know if they are a trusted seller. Anyone have positive, first hand, experiences with them (or others?)

Point is, I really want to play this on real hardware, not an emulator.
I'm in the same boat, I'm going to try it first on a SuperCard Lite.

I haven't had the best luck with GBA homebrew stuff running off of it, but.. it's homebrew stuff.

I would really prefer to play it on my DS than on a PC though..

The Hermit

Get the fuck out of this thread if you want to compare RPGs!

This thread is about a game that we shouldn't be playing but we will... it has nothing to do with the best jRPG or whatever the hell you want.

inner-G said:
SMRPG is a lot different.

Earthbound's battle system is Dragon Quest.
I know, but I've read a lot of posts of Earthbound fans bashing SMRPG's battlesystem for being basic and too much like Final Fantasy when Earthbound is bland and boring like DQ's.

Tiktaalik

I have no issues with DQ's battle system because I like the simplicity of it. I understand though that if you hate hate hate the DQ battle system then yeah you could have a problem with Earthbound's. Earthbound's system is slightly more exciting than DQ's however since the hitpoints roll down in real time, so if you act fast enough you can save someone who has been mortally wounded. As well the running commentary in Earthbound is funnier, and the baddies frequently do bizarre things like "size up the situation" and "inch forward."

I know Mother 3's system is different, that it includes some sort of rhythm based aspect to get more hits in, but I'm not sure as to the specifics.

MoogPaul

inner-G said:
SMRPG is a lot different.

Earthbound's battle system is Dragon Quest.

eh, i really don't think it has anything to do with me being a Mother fan, but SMRPG always came off as Playskool's Baby's First RPG to me...

inner-G

Banned
Tiktaalik said:
I know Mother 3's system is different, that it includes some sort of rhythm based aspect to get more hits in, but I'm not sure as to the specifics.
You had to hit the button, A i think, in time with a visual indicator when you attack.

I couldn't really figure it out in the import version :/

MoogPaul

inner-G said:
You had to hit the button, A i think, in time with a visual indicator when you attack.

I couldn't really figure it out in the import version :/

you go with the rhythm of the music, no visual indicators

Twig

Banned
KeeSomething said:
I know, but I've read a lot of posts of Earthbound fans bashing SMRPG's battlesystem for being basic and too much like Final Fantasy when Earthbound is bland and boring like DQ's.
Hello rolling HP.

Hello automatically winning battles against lesser enemies.

Thank you, come again. Or don't. Might be better that way.

As a fan of both DQ and EB, they're similar but also different. Largely because of the aforementioned rolling HP.

I'm looking to get an eLink 1Gbit based off the features/prices i've seen.

I see one off Dealextreme for $25.90 and that seems like an awesome admission price to play translated Mother 3 on my GBMicro. I've ordered from them before so I'm not worried about that.

Anyone have any objections? Should I be aware of anything with the eLink? I really enjoyed that once a game is selected on it, it will directly boot into that game like a real cartridge.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Been looking forward to this one for a while! What's the PC emulator of choice to play GBA nowadays?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
RuneFactoryFanboy said:

I see one off Dealextreme for $25.90 and that seems like an awesome admission price to play translated Mother 3 on my GBMicro. I've ordered from them before so I'm not worried about that.

Anyone have any objections? Should I be aware of anything with the eLink? I really enjoyed that once a game is selected on it, it will directly boot into that game like a real cartridge.

This is exactly what I ordered last night. Hopefully it turns out OK.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I'm excited :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Watch this show up on Friday

"So yeah, guys, we've actually been keeping this secret, but Nintendo contacted us and organized this fan-translation project. That's right, Nintendo helped the fans create the official translation for Mother 3!"

(yeah... right) :p

Yazan

BorkBork said:
This is exactly what I ordered last night. Hopefully it turns out OK.

Just ordered one as well, I really hope it works. I'll play it on PSP otherwise, but I really want to play it on my micro.

Jme

RuneFactoryFanboy said:

According to Tomato's post here:
http://mother3.fobby.net/2008/10/14/testing-finishes-patch-this-week/#more-842

The eLink works for testers. I may just get this instead of the EZ Link 3 in 1

Tiktaalik

The Starmen.net forums thread to watch for GBA Flash cart compatibility stuff etc is:

http://forum.starmen.net/forum/Mother/3_Blog/47933/page/1/

They have a short list here

FLASH CARTS THAT WILL PLAY MOTHER3:

Slot 2 (GBA) carts:

EZ-Flash IV (note: the “Compact” version will not work)
EZ-Flash 3-in-1 (requires a slot-1 cart)
eLink 1Gbit
G6 Lite
M3 SD
EFA Linker
Flash2Advance Ultra

Slot 1 (DS) carts:
(These all require a GBA expansion, such as the EZ-Flash 3-in-1, to play GBA games.)

M3 DS Real <--Works but apparently with some saving issues? (read thread)
CycloDS
EZ-Flash V
R4 DS

Looks like my old EZFA Realtime isn't going to work, so maybe I'll have to get this eLink 1Gbit.

Masked Man

I said wow
Anyone find a successful... *ahem* means of playing and saving the game on a Mac? I have VBA 1.7.4, but I can only create save states and such, not actually save in-game. Is that still okay? I'm using the Menu Patch, which works just fine even without being able to use the Save Frogs.

Also, I only recently found out that Shigesato Itoi was the voice of the father in Tonari no Totoro. TOTOROTON.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
TheOneGuy said:
Because you think Final Fantasy X, of all JRPGs, is better than Earthbound.

FINAL FANTASY.

X.

C'mon. You're either trolling or dumb for not expecting hostile responses after posting that in a thread about Mother 3. Earthbound has some of the most insane fans ever.

Seriously.

I wonder who is the retarded one...

Jme

Masked Man said:
Anyone find a successful... *ahem* means of playing and saving the game on a Mac? I have VBA 1.7.4, but I can only create save states and such, not actually save in-game. Is that still okay? I'm using the Menu Patch, which works just fine even without being able to use the Save Frogs.

Also, I only recently found out that Shigesato Itoi was the voice of the father in Tonari no Totoro. TOTOROTON.

Downgrade to VBA 1.7.2 (Sourceforge has this)

Other than that, I'm not sure because I can't read to figure out HOW to save :/

Top Bottom