• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Mother 3 Patch Thread! It's go time!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Found my guide book waiting for me when I got back to work.. I got an "Uncontrollable Sphere", which was a purple blob with lots of LOL's in the background... says "The Uncontrollable Sphere started laughing!". Very awesome book, excellent presentation. I beat the game a while ago, but it's still nice to have for the collection, and certainly much better than what BradyGames would've probably done.

eXistor

My book came in today! It's glorious!

p0xa8.jpg

5o81t3.jpg

Aeana

I finished my replay of Mother 3 using the Handbook yesterday, and I really can't say enough positive things about the book. It's definitely one of the best strategy guides I've ever seen.

And man, I appreciate Mother 3 more every time I play it (this was play #4, second time in English). This play had a bonus side effect of getting my fiance interested as I was playing, so he's playing it now (on chapter 4), having a blast with his first RPG ever.
Step 1 toward turning him into a Dragon Quest super fan.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Hey, I know the Mother games were my gateway games that got me into Dragon Quest!

You should get him to play EarthBound so he can appreciate all of the references that Mother 3 makes to it.

Also, the Mother 3 Handbook is quite possibly the greatest strategy guide ever made. Stunning how it's fan-made.

Amir0x

Banned
Is the Mother handbook really that good? I didn't even think much of it but if it's that good maybe I should purchase it...

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Amir0x said:
Is the Mother handbook really that good? I didn't even think much of it but if it's that good maybe I should purchase it...

Yeah, my friend from work actually saw the guide on my desk today (along with the Franklin Badge medal), started peering through it, and was really impressed with it. I gave him a quick history of Mother 3's fan translation and how a group of committed fans made the book by themselves and he was even more impressed. It's definitely worth the $20, especially for you, who is a much bigger Mother fan than me.

Yes it is worth it. It's incredible, so detailed. The physical quality if it is impressive too. Nothing about it seems amateurish. You should've preordered it to get the sweet Courage Badge.

Just a heads-up for international orders: my Mother3 book finally arrived here. If it can get here this fast, it'll probably be delivered to you rather soon.

To echo the sentiments in the thread, I can't believe how well made the book is and the Franklin/Courage badge is something you'd pay 15$ for and think it was a good deal.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Got the handbook in the mail today as well. It's clearly a labour of love, because there's no way they're breaking even with this thing priced at 20 bucks.

I'm planning on getting that Flint and Chrono trigger shirt to support their efforts. Coupon helps too.

stalker

Apologies for using this thread for a silly question, but I can't access gamefaqs on my mobile...
I'm stuck at chapter 7, at the part where you start on the beach... All I find seem to be dead-ends, once I get to the zone with several holes together...

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
BorkBork said:
She has step by step instructions on making Midna figurines too.

2534236238_96ee7eaa22.jpg

It's ridiculously awesome.
Jebus. Does she sell that ? I'd buy it. I noticed she got a lot of comments in that regards but she never responded :( What does she need an army of Midna for ? Sell them for profit, I say !

mr_nexus

Banned
Just got my handbook the other day. Wow, I'm amazed at the quality of this thing. It puts Bradygames to shame. I'm already using the keychain. I used to have an awesome Monty Python Spamalot keychain but the top broke off.

stalker

PBalfredo said:
All of those holes are indeed dead-ends. Just pass them and keep heading south.

Thanks, I do not know what I was thinking; I had not found the area map when I posted here and for some reason did not realize that I had to head south but slightly west after those holes to keep going further...

---

I did beat the game thursday last week. As someone with not previous exposure to Mother/Earthbound, I will just say that I found this game to be extraordinary. I only was very slightly bored at some points in Chapter 7 and I also did not completely like the route the story took at that point, but overall I enjoyed the whole thing immensely (took me 35 hours up to the last frog, which I imagine is really high as I am a really slow player in general and completely unskilled in RPGs). The music was simply mindblowing.

Thanks to all involved in the fan translation, which was excellent also (I did find a couple bugs, I will see how to report them on starmen.net in case they ever release a new patch).

I think this is like the fifth non-mario RPG I have ever completed and now I really really want to play Earthbound someday.

Hobbun

I was wondering if someone could help me.

I would like to play Mother 3 now that the translation is done for it. But I really do not want to play it on my computer. I would like to do so on my DSLite (through GBA port). I know you need the actual Mother 3 game and need to use something called a "flash card", but I'm not really sure exactly what it is and where to get one.

Also, once I download the translation patch, how do I get that over to my game?

As you can see, I'm pretty unknowledgable about this and would really appreciate any kind of help. The more detailed you can give, the better. And links would be wonderful for where I can get a flash card.

Thank you.

Aeana

I don't know much about this subject, but they did have a thread on the Starmen.net forum about which flash carts work with the game: here.

MNC

If you want to play Mother 3 on a flashcart, you need a slot-2 cart (cart that goes in the gba slot) and that's all I know :lol normal flashcarts can't play gba games.

Hobbun

MNC said:
If you want to play Mother 3 on a flashcart, you need a slot-2 cart (cart that goes in the gba slot) and that's all I know :lol normal flashcarts can't play gba games.

Ok. I just want to get whatever is required to play it on my DSLite. I don't want to play it over my computer.

What I really need is an FAQ that starting with just a DSLite, what steps need to be taken and what's all that's required hardware-wise for me to play the game. I just bought Mother 3.

Aeana, thanks for the link, but still need a lot more help and info. :lol

NetMapel

Has anybody ordered the book in Canada ? I ordered it and it shipped about 2 weeks ago but I still don't have it :( I wonder why it takes so long for it to travel to Canada... I'd think two weeks would be enough ?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
NetMapel said:
Has anybody ordered the book in Canada ? I ordered it and it shipped about 2 weeks ago but I still don't have it :( I wonder why it takes so long for it to travel to Canada... I'd think two weeks would be enough ?

In Toronto here, we received it earlier in April. :/

BorkBork

NetMapel said:

It does take a bit longer. I think I got mine probably about 2 weeks later as well.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
eXistor said:
My book came in today! It's glorious!
is the medallion for pre-orderers?

Those shark punks are quality. I can only imagine how awesome Skate punks, Hula punks, Pogo punks, and Yes Man Jr.'s would be. :D

Oh, and I got a Worthless Protoplasm to accompany my Courage Badge keychain with my one of my handbooks. The other handbook/keychain got a Die wearing a suit and top hat. I can't remember the enemy's name for the life of me.

NetMapel

By the way, my handbook has arrived recently finally ! My unique drawing is the ghost enemy from M3 :D

Masked Man

I said wow
So I was walking across campus (Oberlin) on Saturday, and I just so happened to pass by a fellow student with a book in his hand--a very familiar book.

The MOTHER 3 Handbook.

:O :O :O :O :O

I was SO excited! I accosted him about it, gushed briefly about how wonderful the game is, and went on my merry way. Needless to say, I was thrilled for the rest of the day. My love for this game will never die. :D

BorkBork

Damn didn't win the Shark Punk Lotto.... I'm afraid of what the upper ceiling for the blind auction will be. :lol

NetMapel

Masked Man said:
So I was walking across campus (Oberlin) on Saturday, and I just so happened to pass by a fellow student with a book in his hand--a very familiar book.

The MOTHER 3 Handbook.

:O :O :O :O :O

I was SO excited! I accosted him about it, gushed briefly about how wonderful the game is, and went on my merry way. Needless to say, I was thrilled for the rest of the day. My love for this game will never die. :D
Oh man that's nice. I keep my handbook at home because it's got a really nice new-book smell I didn't want it to go away, haha...

This game is pretty awesome right now but I'm having a little bit of music rhythm problem. I've even use the ability to hear the beat to assist me, but I still have problem chaining attacks :( I guess VBA-M is a bit slow for that even though the game seems to run smoothly on it.

Even though I've only heard about the game and the fan project in this very thread, I just ordered the guide and a few pins. It's such a labour of love that I couldn't resist.

Let's see if I can acquire a copy of the actual game.

Damn you gaf, Please tell me I wasn't stupid :lol

NetMapel

By the way, I have just beaten the game today and I was very impressed with the end fight.
I mean, I knew Claus was the Masked Man because of all of our previous encounters, but damn it's just so good. The moment I read that he cast the thunder spell at the end, I was like CRAP he's so dead. I have not really played any games where a character is so tragically killed. I was thoroughly disturbed by the entire end fight and almost shed a tear, which is a rather unusual experience while playing video game.

As for whether Claus was dead at the end of Chapter 1 or not, I am not sure. I just think of him as Darth Vader, though we never really saw any mechanical body part on him (unlike the other Chimera enemies). All I can say is, though, for some person whom we hardly really know, he certainly did his job giving us an emotion rollar-coaster ride. All we know about Claus is that he's the twin brother of Lucas who became a badass sword-whielding Porky-lover. Clearly, it's the spectacular story narrative that fleshed out his demise that made it really connect with us. Now that I have completed the game, I find it hard to get pass the beginning naming part of the game seeing Claus running around with Lucas.

It is hard for me to say whether I like Earthbound more or Mother 3 more. I must admit, though, that I never managed to finish Earthbound but I was pretty close to the end (I think I was going for the 7th or 8th melody).
Now that I've finished Mother 3, it seems like Earthbound's ending is kind of spoiled for me because of the whole Pokey thing ! Oh, and the memory lane boat ride in his tower is very cool.
So, ultimately, perhaps Mother 3 gets the edge simply because I managed to finish it :p It is a shorter game compared to Earthbound though, so who knows... I feel Earthbound and Mother 3 have a Zelda:OoT/MM relationship. Earthbound is grand and adventurous where you travel many lands and places. It's rather epic in that sense because you literally go through every kind of Earthly terrain you can think of and have so many cities to explore. That was really cool in my mind and it has the same kind of epic-ness feeling Zelda:OoT has. Now, Mother 3 seems to do everything in a smaller but finer scale.
You get to know Tazmily and its surroundings very well, as it is the focal point of the whole Mother 3 story (maybe it's the only surviving island after the apocalypses ?) The attention to details in Mother 3 seems very much akin to Zelda:MM's approach to the Clock Tower town. The Mother 3 story is also significantly darker and almost too real in terms of the emotion it tries to convey. Again, that seems to be something Zelda:MM is good at as well.
Ultimately, I have to say Mother 3 is an excellent game that is definitely a worthy follow up of Earthbound. However, I do miss the humanoid enemies that are often present in Earthbound. I want more Happy Happy Cult and New Age Hippies :p

BorkBork

NetMapel said:
By the way, I have just beaten the game today and I was very impressed with the end fight.
I mean, I knew Claus was the Masked Man because of all of our previous encounters, but damn it's just so good. The moment I read that he cast the thunder spell at the end, I was like CRAP he's so dead. I have not really played any games where a character is so tragically killed. I was thoroughly disturbed by the entire end fight and almost shed a tear, which is a rather unusual experience while playing video game.

As for whether Claus was dead at the end of Chapter 1 or not, I am not sure. I just think of him as Darth Vader, though we never really saw any mechanical body part on him (unlike the other Chimera enemies). All I can say is, though, for some person whom we hardly really know, he certainly did his job giving us an emotion rollar-coaster ride. All we know about Claus is that he's the twin brother of Lucas who became a badass sword-whielding Porky-lover. Clearly, it's the spectacular story narrative that fleshed out his demise that made it really connect with us. Now that I have completed the game, I find it hard to get pass the beginning naming part of the game seeing Claus running around with Lucas.

It is hard for me to say whether I like Earthbound more or Mother 3 more. I must admit, though, that I never managed to finish Earthbound but I was pretty close to the end (I think I was going for the 7th or 8th melody).
Now that I've finished Mother 3, it seems like Earthbound's ending is kind of spoiled for me because of the whole Pokey thing ! Oh, and the memory lane boat ride in his tower is very cool.
So, ultimately, perhaps Mother 3 gets the edge simply because I managed to finish it :p It is a shorter game compared to Earthbound though, so who knows... I feel Earthbound and Mother 3 have a Zelda:OoT/MM relationship. Earthbound is grand and adventurous where you travel many lands and places. It's rather epic in that sense because you literally go through every kind of Earthly terrain you can think of and have so many cities to explore. That was really cool in my mind and it has the same kind of epic-ness feeling Zelda:OoT has. Now, Mother 3 seems to do everything in a smaller but finer scale.
You get to know Tazmily and its surroundings very well, as it is the focal point of the whole Mother 3 story (maybe it's the only surviving island after the apocalypses ?) The attention to details in Mother 3 seems very much akin to Zelda:MM's approach to the Clock Tower town. The Mother 3 story is also significantly darker and almost too real in terms of the emotion it tries to convey. Again, that seems to be something Zelda:MM is good at as well.
Ultimately, I have to say Mother 3 is an excellent game that is definitely a worthy follow up of Earthbound. However, I do miss the humanoid enemies that are often present in Earthbound. I want more Happy Happy Cult and New Age Hippies :p

As someone said earlier in the thread, the whole game is one long destruction of the family unit. :lol It's sad and tragic, but true.

I don't think you can judge Earthbound as a whole without finishing the game. The last portion is the best and most memorable, and the ending is THE most satisfying conclusion I have ever experienced in a videogame.

I really like your analogy to OOT/Majora. It really fits. Earthbound is the nostalgic globetrotting affair, and Mother 3 is a quiet, more intimate tale of family and love.

Davey Cakes

You never finished Earthbound?

Dude. You really have to get on that. Like BorkBork said, Earthbound finishes in a satisfying and memorable way. Its ending is actually much different from Mother 3's, though there's a lot to it that would make some enjoy it more.

In terms of which game of the Mother series I enjoy the most, I'll still put Earthbound at the top. Though, Mother 3 does give Earthbound a run for its money in the soundtrack department. Also, Mother 3's battle system is superior without a doubt.

I guess there's just something about the way the narrative was pulled off in Earthbound that makes me gravitate towards it.

As for the original Mother, I find it hard to believe that anyone could put it at the top. It's not a bad game, and tells a pretty great story for something out of the NES era. I think it's the overly-large overworld and the random encounters that really bring it down, however. Where Earthbound feels timeless, Mother surely does show its age.

NetMapel

Ok, I hear your saying, so I'm going to restart Earthbound now in an attempt to finish the game. Too bad I don't have the swanky Handbook to look at while playing the game :( Mother 3 was an awesome experience with the Handbook because of its funny commentaries.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
My cousin just called Mother 3 a piece of crap, why is those people allowed to live? :p

Got my Mother 3 handbook and this poster today:

poster_preview_medium.jpg

I'm really in awe of the quality of both. The handbook puts 99% of all US video game strategy guides to shame and the poster is a really beautiful print, on high quality paper too. Mother/Earthbound is the only series that I wouldn't be embarassed to have a poster of hanging on the wall in my home. Huge props to Starmen.net and everyone involved in the translation and handbook, it's a terrific accomplishment.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Beat it today. Incredible game. I won't try to compare it, or rate it. It was just simply incredible.

Game is incredibly sad.. maybe more so than any other game I've ever played. Even the mouse waiting for 'Locria' brings a tear to the eye. And the ending is fantastic.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I really need to finish this up, just don't want it to end. Games like these really don't come around that often anymore.

NetMapel

Teetris said:
I really need to finish this up, just don't want it to end. Games like these really don't come around that often anymore.
Finish the game ! The end is like the best part of the game.

Top Bottom