• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Mother 3 Patch Thread! It's go time!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I thinking of playing through it again.. maybe Earthbound first though. Although I have beaten Earthbound again this year already. :lol

I'm waiting for A&C Games to get another copy in, then I'm buying it for sure.

eXistor

After waiting so long for the perfect time to finally play Mother 3 I finally did so last week during my 2 weeks vacation. Now, Earthbound is probably my all-time favorite game and to say I had high expectations is somewhat of an understatement. However, I did have realistic expectations. I didn't really expect the game to be as good as Earthbound, just a good follow up (in case the game wasn't that great I wouldn't be too disappointed see). What I got in Mother 3 was something I did not expect: it's just as good as Earthbound. In fact: had Mother 3 been Mother 2 and vice versa, Mother 3 would probably be my favorite game ever now. As it stands I still think of Earthbound a bit more fondly, but that might well change in the coming years.

I honestly believe that Mother 3 is a game that defies any sort of rating (reviews and such). When the game clicks it does so in a mayor way and trivial things such as control issues, glitches or whatever (none of which the game has mind you) suddenly cease to be important. I really don't think that anyone who would score the game an 8 or somewhere around that really liked the game. Sure they'll see a decent game, but the game doesn't click with them as it should and I think they're just afraid to give it a lower score because of the internet backlash they might receive. When the game clicks I don't see any other option than to give the game a perfect rating (if you must score it all). You may think that this applies to every game, but I really feel Mother 2 and 3 are just so much more special than other games. It's still an opinion and all, but they are the only games where I feel this way and I know I'm not alone in thinking this.

I've only just finished it, but my god, what an experience. I've taken my sweet time with it too, because every time someone asks how long the game is, the standard answer seems to be 15-20 hours. This is another thing I don't get. My gameclock says roughly 35 hours on it and I've never been stuck in the game or anything. I've never really grinded (except for maybe half an hour to get a bunch of Hotspring eggs). It's obvious that the game can indeed be finished in such a short time, but then you're really not playing it right. After almost every event, the people in Tazmily and other places move about and have different things to say. I scoured every inch of every place multiple times to see what had changed and more often than not I was handsomely rewarded. There is almost no wasted time is those 35 hours and I loved every second of it.

If there's just one thing that perhaps fell somewhat short of my expectations it's the music. Now Mother 3 has probably one of the best soundtracks of recent years so this is something almost not worth mentioning in that regard. Earthbound however had a much better soundtrack, the music was just so much more memorable and catchy. There are some real classics in there. Not so much in Mother 3. I was very impressed with the diversity of the music however, there are just so many remixes and such and even some music pieces that occur only once in the entire game (I love that kind of stuff, it really makes the game even more unique) that it's hardly worth complaining about.

All in all, this is just a fantastic achievement. The translation was absolutely top-notch, so huge props to tomato and the rest of the folks that worked so hard on it. I'm just so glad I was able to play this game properly (well almost: thanks to lag in emulators, the rhythm battles didn't quite work, but no biggie).

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Just hit Chapter 2 in this game, decided to get it another shot. Hopefully I like it more this time around. It has such a great charm, and the writing is so so well done.

Jasoco

Banned
Even though I've beaten it, I'm sad that none of my OS X GBA emulators will play my ROM anymore. :( (And no I don't have a cart to put it on a GBA/DS though I wish I did)

VBA-M crashes at load no matter what, and BoycottAdvance glitches when loading the ROM and then crashes.

I'm on Snow Leopard though so I'm hoping these are bugs that will be fixed by the end of September. I never know when I'll get a craving to play through Mother 3 again. I'd like to have the choice in the matter when that does happen though.

Damn emulators.

A few questions..

1) This is a translation, does that mean it's a ROM, with English dialogues/text, or a translation and do I still need to own the game?

2) So do I still need to buy the GBA game, after paying $30 to Starmen? (might have already been answered previously)

3) I have Mother 1+2, but cannot play it, due to my lack of knowledge in Japanese. Is there a paper (printable/PDF etc) form translation of this too?

wrowa

the thoroughbred said:
A few questions..

1) This is a translation, does that mean it's a ROM, with English dialogues/text, or a translation and do I still need to own the game?

2) So do I still need to buy the GBA game, after paying $30 to Starmen? (might have already been answered previously)

3) I have Mother 1+2, but cannot play it, due to my lack of knowledge in Japanese. Is there a paper (printable/PDF etc) form translation of this too?

You don't have to pay anything for the translation. You only have to pay 30$ if you want to buy the awesome Mother 3 handbook they've made, but the translation patch is completely free. And yeah, it's a patch: You have to download a Mother 3 ROM (search for it) and apply the patch to the ROM. If you want to play it legally you still have to own the original cardrige, though (which doesn't change the fact that you have to download a ROM to play the translated version).

the thoroughbred said:
Answer to part a): It is just a patch. You need to find the ROM and/or emulator yourself.
Answer to part b): You do not have to own the game, although any support for the Mother/Earthbound community by buying the game(s) is welcome.

the thoroughbred said:
Already answered.

the thoroughbred said:
GameFAQs is your friend.

EDIT: Did I really take two minutes to write this? Damn. Beaten to the punch AGAIN.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Actually, if you own the hardware to play the ROM (say, on a DS), and own the Japanese cart, you can dump the ROM yourself. No need to download it.

I dumped my entire GBA and DS libraries in such a fashion.

FSLink

Banned
Jasoco said:
Even though I've beaten it, I'm sad that none of my OS X GBA emulators will play my ROM anymore. :( (And no I don't have a cart to put it on a GBA/DS though I wish I did)

VBA-M crashes at load no matter what, and BoycottAdvance glitches when loading the ROM and then crashes.

I'm on Snow Leopard though so I'm hoping these are bugs that will be fixed by the end of September. I never know when I'll get a craving to play through Mother 3 again. I'd like to have the choice in the matter when that does happen though.

Damn emulators.
Have a Wii? The homebrew emulator for the Wii works GREAT with Mother 3, plus the music battle system is actually in sync.

Jasoco

Banned
FSLink said:
Have a Wii? The homebrew emulator for the Wii works GREAT with Mother 3, plus the music battle system is actually in sync.
Elaborate. I haven't hacked a console since my PSP 3 years ago. Do I need to do anything silly? And CAN I DO IT IF I HAVE A MAC? (Seems a lot of the time this stuff requires Windows only utilities which is bullshit.) I would love to play it on a TV actually.

celebi23

Jasoco said:
Elaborate. I haven't hacked a console since my PSP 3 years ago. Do I need to do anything silly? And CAN I DO IT IF I HAVE A MAC? (Seems a lot of the time this stuff requires Windows only utilities which is bullshit.) I would love to play it on a TV actually.

I've got a Mac & I've got a gba emulator running on the Wii. All you need is an SD Card (about 1GB or more should do the trick, for the various homebrew apps out there). I'd suggest looking at this guide

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Setting_up_your_Wii_for_Homebrew

& maybe this one as well for more in depth tutorials

http://gwht.wikidot.com/

It's a lot easier now than when I got into Wii homebrew (back at the beginning. 2007/2008 :lol ). Should be up & running in about 15/20 minutes tops. Feel free to PM me if you're having any problems.

Oh & the 1.1 translation patch is out now :D

http://earthboundcentral.com/2009/07/mother-3-translation-11-released

http://mother3.fobby.net/

Nessus

Haven't been interested in JRPGs in quite a while, and EarthBound is one of my all time favorite games, so I'm biased, but Mother 3 was probably the most emotional video game I've ever played.

Certainly it's strange and weird and doesn't always take itself seriously, but it uses humor to endear you to the characters, I think.

I feel a lot of Itoi's nuance is preserved with Tomato's translation, and at times it reads more like a novel than the standard cliche JRPG plot.

Not to put Itoi on too high of a pedastol, but with Mother 3 he explores themes and concepts that aren't merely a dumbed down version of ideas already covered in other media, but ideas that would be novel and interesting regardless of the media, which is something I wish more video games would aspire to.

Simultaneously there are aspects that just wouldn't work in any other medium. He creates something that is genuinely compelling, not just compelling for the lowered expectations of a video game, but he also aware of and plays to the strengths of the format.

Video games don't have to ape movies. They don't have to rehash movie plots. They don't have to be excuses to relive scenes from movies.

Jugendstil said:
Got my Mother 3 handbook and this poster today:

poster_preview_medium.jpg

I'm really in awe of the quality of both. The handbook puts 99% of all US video game strategy guides to shame and the poster is a really beautiful print, on high quality paper too. Mother/Earthbound is the only series that I wouldn't be embarassed to have a poster of hanging on the wall in my home. Huge props to Starmen.net and everyone involved in the translation and handbook, it's a terrific accomplishment.
just ordered both and one of these:

IMG_5093_large.jpg

i've only played 15 minutes of mother 3 because i refuse to go any further with it on my psp. also ordered an ezflash4 to power through this gem on my gb micro! : D

Everdred

Charred Greyface said:
Is Earthbound worth going back to replay? I heard it doesn't age well, especially if you've already started Mother 3...
I've replayed through 7 or 8 times now, always good.

FSLink said:
Right I am going to do this. Don't worry I'll still pay my respects and purchase the orignal version. pun intended

I wish my emulator worked properly, can't finish the game because of framedrops making battles impossible. Still in the end of chapter 7

notsol337

marked forever
Charred Greyface said:
Is Earthbound worth going back to replay? I heard it doesn't age well, especially if you've already started Mother 3...

Earthbound is my favorite game ever. If you're interested in Mother 3, it's totally worth replaying first. I am about to replay it so I can start Mother 3 myself.

epmode

Charred Greyface said:
Aight, change of plans then although I'm sure this is the right place for unbiased answers :lol
As Mother fans go, I'm nowhere near the crazy I've seen in this thread.

But it's true, Mother 3 has tons of little throwbacks to Earthbound, not to mention a few plot points.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Charred Greyface said:
Aight, change of plans then although I'm sure this is the right place for unbiased answers :lol
Having played Mother 3 pretty much right before doing 3, I think 3 is the better game (as in, the stuff you play) but 2 is the overall superior package.

Twig

Banned
Earthbound is the better game.

Mother 3 is the better experience.

But Mother 3 has plenty of nods back to Earthbound, so if you have any desire to play both play Earthbound first.

FSLink

Banned
Jasoco said:
celebi23 pretty much covered everything I was gonna explain, plus it's nice that the saves are compatible, so just drop your old save into SD/vbagx/saves and continue playing.

Jasoco

Banned
I'm a little weary of hacking my Wii. I'd hate to fuck it up and be stuck with a dead bricked Wii. I might try it one day when I'm bored.

So I'm on chapter 7, I just finished eating the
mushrooms
and I'm at the boss battle immediately following. I'm getting my shit completely wrecked. My whole party is around level 43-ish. I keep debuffing the boss, as well as raising my parties offense. I start off by having Lucas cast psi shield on every member of the party, but I STILL get rocked.

Is there any way to quickly defeat the boss when he goes into that stance? I can't cast lightning delta on him because it doesn't work. It claims it's the stance that is stopping me. Any advice?

Twig

Banned
TheSonicRetard said:
mushrooms
and I'm at the boss battle immediately following. I'm getting my shit completely wrecked. My whole party is around level 43-ish. I keep debuffing the boss, as well as raising my parties offense. I start off by having Lucas cast psi shield on every member of the party, but I STILL get rocked.

Is there any way to quickly defeat the boss when he goes into that stance? I can't cast lightning delta on him because it doesn't work. It claims it's the stance that is stopping me. Any advice?
IIRC,
every time he goes into a stance he has a different weakness. Use... Boney, is it? to sniff it out.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So I just ordered the Mother3 handbook.
Not only did I get my address wrong (entered in my street address instead of a P.O. box)
I also got my fucking email wrong! (forgot a character)

I just sent them an email, but holy shit that is so stupid on my part.

upandaway

TheSonicRetard said:
mushrooms

It's that trio right?

You can use Boney to sniff him out and reveal his weakness. Aside from that, you need to use the PSI shield or you have pretty much no chance of winning. Also have all the healing items on Boney since he has nothing to do other than sniffing, and he gets first in every turn.

I don't remember when you get the PSI shield though. If you don't have it already, grind off the tornados on the back. They give tons and tons of EXP. I think I finished grinding in only a couple minutes.

upandaway

Send in the Clowns said:
I beat that boss without using the PSI Shield.

In fact I beat the entire game without using the PSI Shield once...
I never really used the shield except for that boss, but really, how did you do it? Did you use tons of healing items? Overleveled? I know I couldn't do it.

upandaway said:
I never really used the shield except for that boss, but really, how did you do it? Did you use tons of healing items? Overleveled? I know I couldn't do it.

It's been a while but I'm pretty sure I had no healing items, just used either Lucas or the girl to attack with the right PSI move and healed whenever necessary.

I remember being wiped out a few times before I realized that you need to use Boney to find out which move was going to do damage but once I worked that out I did it first go. I must of been leveled up pretty high or something...

ltse1

Just picked up Mother 3 again after stopping at Chapter 7. I'm at
the 3rd Needle, Lydia's on Snowcap Mtn. and I just lost against Mechagorilla.
I'll try again after some King's Bounty.

Yazan

What happened to the Mother 1+2 project? Are they still planning to translate it?

I never had an opportunity to play Earthbound (living in Europe).

PBalfredo

Keikoku said:
Careful, spoilers :

http://i43.tinypic.com/xc50fl.jpg

That's an interesting theory (sorry if old)
lol. Interesting interpretation, but I wouldn't go so far to say that Lucas
summons Satan, lol.
However it's interesting that what Lucas does accomplish by
awakening the dragon is destroying the world to remake it as something better. How many times have villains in other games and movies and comics have tried to accomplish the exact same thing? Of course Lucas miraculously does so without killing anyone while the villains of many a story are willing to give nuclear holocaust a try. Still, it's interesting that significant, but singular, stipulation makes it okay for our hero to have a MO usually reserved for the worst of villains.

Kind of late, but does anyone know how to get saves properly working on the Wii?

I started playing this morning. Game was patched with translation 1.1 and I'm using VBA GX 1.0.6. Saved using SRAM.

Came back later today. I try to load my saves, and all they do is reset the game. I patched the game with the save fix on the Mother 3 Project site. Loading the saves still just resets the game.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
HALP!

Chapter 2, almost a the beginning.

I was told that I should go talk to the gravekeeper
but when I went there I just saw him for a blink, all that I can do now is fight again and again with the cemetery creatures and can't go where I'm supposed to (looking at circle in the map), since the bridge isn't lowered down or whatever.

upandaway

Dash Kappei said:
HALP!

Chapter 2, almost a the beginning.

I was told that I should go talk to the gravekeeper
but when I went there I just saw him for a blink, all that I can do now is fight again and again with the cemetery creatures and can't go where I'm supposed to (looking at circle in the map), since the bridge isn't lowered down or whatever.
I'm really stressing my memory here, but I think you're supposed to look for an underground tunnel.

Yeah.. I'm almost sure. The entrance should be somewhere in the cemetry.

Top Bottom