• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Q&A transcript of Nintendo's 76th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders

tr1p1ex

"We are simultaneously creating the NX version of this game (new Zelda) and are working hard to offer the same experience."

To me, this suggests that the NX is barely the power of the Wii U and is going to be inexpensive like an AppleTV or similar device.

"We are simultaneously creating the NX version of this game (new Zelda) and are working hard to offer the same experience."

To me, this suggests that the NX is barely the power of the Wii U and is going to be inexpensive like an AppleTV or similar device.

Unless what he's really saying is they're trying not to make the NX game so nuts that it can't be played on Wii U.

Culex

Banned
The question about the 2 months delay after Iwata's passing seems harsh as hell...

No it's not. Any huge company is required to have a succession plan in case the CEO resigns or dies. This is mandated in most shareholder minutes.

Unless what he's really saying is they're trying not to make the NX game so nuts that it can't be played on Wii U.

Or it might be a statement translated from Japanese and looking at specific wording to try and gleam details about an unreleased product that they are purposely being cagey on is crazy.

jblank83

The whole answer is pretty bad and it seems like he wasn't expecting to get the question. It comes off incredibly rambling.

We hire only the best! All of our directors are Japanese men, except this one guy, he's white, probably. We're not going to force anyone to retire, though. We're always looking for good women, that's why we have women employees. We'll think about doing it later.

I read it as "many of these people were chosen long ago and we don't have mandatory retirement, however we have many female employees and will be looking at increasing their voice in the company's executive structure."

messiaen

I read it as them saying they felt they did not have female candidates that fit the ability or qualifications to be a director at this time. The wording was peculiar and not the least bit flattering though.
Keep in mind this is a translation. Going from Japanese to English can yield a number of different phrasings.

Wait, what...? President K doesn't have a background in game development....? Ummm....

Hearing that President K doesn't have any experience in game development is pretty...uhhh.... disheartening.....

Indeed. Iwata was a rare combination: business acumen, astonishing proficiency as a craftsman, and humility - to name a few. People in his position are generally "suits": Kaz Hirai, Andrew House, Shawn Layden, Jack Tretton, Hiroshi Yamauchi, Reggie Fils-Aimé, etc.

While unfortunate, it's not a cause for concern. Yamauchi ruled Nintendo throughout the 80s and 90s, and creative output was not diminished in any way.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It has netflix, hulu, prime, and crunchyroll so it's already sufficient for a reasonable portion of the population.

Streaming all most people need nowadays hell I haven't bought a DVD or Blu-ray in years thanks to digital and streaming.

Netflix, Youtube, and GAF pumped straight to my living room TV. What else do you need?

Genuinely writing this comment on my WiiU now.

Playing your local files for example? And why not blu ray? Something that would make me use it instead of using my phone who can do everything you listed above and does it better?
And if we talk about streaming, what music services does it support? Spotify? Google Music? How about Google Movies?

Edit: also good luck using Hulu in Europe. Netflix AT is not the brightest either.

Or it might be a statement translated from Japanese and looking at specific wording to try and gleam details about an unreleased product that they are purposely being cagey on is crazy.

Of course.

But this is NeoGAF.

except it's already playable on the Wii U. And probably already finished for the Wii U.

It's playable on Wii U with some performance issues.

That's really unusual for a title developed by EAD/EPD.

Sounds like they upped the ambition at about the time they committed to making it for NX, judging by language used at around the time of the original delay and the night and day difference between the content then and the content now. They'd have to be very thoughtful about scope to achieve something that's ambitious and impressive on NX, while still more or less the same experience on Wii U.

That's not something Nintendo's really attempted before.

m.i.s.

Banned
Indeed. Iwata was a rare combination: business acumen, astonishing proficiency as a craftsman, and humility - to name a few. People in his position are generally "suits": Kaz Hirai, Andrew House, Shawn Layden, Jack Tretton, Hiroshi Yamauchi, Reggie Fils-Aimé, etc.

While unfortunate, it's not a cause for concern. Yamauchi ruled Nintendo throughout the 80s and 90s, and creative output was not diminished in any way.

Iwata had many positive attributes but business acumen was not one of them.

Eg 3DS price / regional locking in a portable device right at the time when others were taking a more integrated global approach. ie Yamauchi's decision upto then to have region free portable hardware was far ahead of it's time.

And then there was the monumental strategic, contractual and negotiation failing that was the Wii U in the way the hardware would not allow for price depreciation over time. This is just unheard of for a Nintendo platform.

Top Bottom