• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danj

Been playing the fantranslated Steins;Gate VN lately. Soooooo good. Played it without a walkthrough first time around, ended up with the Suzuha ending which was unexpectedly dark in places. Now going through it with a walkthrough to get the other endings (I've done Feyris' ending and am currently in the middle of doing Ruka's). Kurisu's ending looks like it'll take a while to do so I'll probably save that for my day off this Friday.

Don't sweat it, it's really hard to win the baseball game during your first playthrough (the same goes for the fighting game). After each playthrough, the character atributes go up (especially Rin's) making it much easier to complete the minigames.

The common route is really fun, full of random moments and giggles
(except that one moment with Kengo)
, but character routes pack a reasonable amount of feels. Be prepared.

Esp.
Refrain.

Been playing the fantranslated Steins;Gate VN lately. Soooooo good. Played it without a walkthrough first time around, ended up with the Suzuha ending which was unexpectedly dark in places. Now going through it with a walkthrough to get the other endings (I've done Feyris' ending and am currently in the middle of doing Ruka's). Kurisu's ending looks like it'll take a while to do so I'll probably save that for my day off this Friday.
Steins;Gate made me interested in visual novels. Great story and characters, and I still can't get the main theme out of my head :)
Really enjoyed the True Ending route (
and "fake" credits were kind of unexpected
)

Metrotab

Banned
Little Busters! Took a while, but I finally got to make a decision in Kud's route. And I decided to
let her go.
Based on Futaki's advice and the general dramatic development, I hope this is the right choice (of possible more to come). I really don't want no bad end. Only way to know is to march through...

Metrotab

Banned
ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

That was some motherfucking tense development. Heartbreaking CG. I'm so fucking happy with the happy end. On the last millimeter of my seat, all the way through, goddamn.

Spierek

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

That was some motherfucking tense development. Heartbreaking CG. I'm so fucking happy with the happy end. On the last millimeter of my seat, all the way through, goddamn.

:3

Her last CG with the
hand reaching towards you
is gorgeous. One of my favorites in the entire game.
Also, you should try to get every Bad End, just for the sake of comparison. I prefer doing Bad's before Good/True Ends, because that increases my desire of seeing the proper ending.

When does Ever 17 stop being boring? This is really a chore to go through.
It's been days, the world must know!

So Ever 17 is REALLY repetitive at times while trying to get the four endings. You can sometimes set it to "skip" go make a full dinner, eat it, and come back and it's still skipping.

To some extent though (and it's probably coincidence), it does a really good job of making you confident in thinking you know what's going on, especially after it seems like they've given sufficiently satisfying twists for every possible ending.

But then you get the true ending and the last 20 hours are just one long and necessary prelude to your exploding brain.

Can anyone recommend a great VN with Time Travel as a main focus?
Hey hey! Perfect time to check out the recent fan translation of Steins;Gate. It's pretty wonderful, and I haven't seen the anime but supposedly the VN is tons better.

There's.... some...... other, semi-recent VNs, mentioned at various points in this very thread, that are REALLY good, but I don't want to say their name because the time travel aspect is a huge spoiler. You may know some of the ones I'm talking about, I'm strongly guessing, but I can spoiler tag some names if not.

Spierek

Can anyone recommend a great VN with Time Travel as a main focus?

Steins;Gate is probably the safest way to go. Also, Time Hollow if you own a NDS/3DS.

If you're looking for science-oriented novels (not about time travel, but about other phenomena and stuff), practically every VN written by Uchikoshi is also a good bet (Ever17, 999, Virtue's Last Reward).

i really love time hollow.

First i find the opening them pretty cool ..and second i like the mecanics.
Third once you reach the ending you trully feel like you've completed something
Fourth , once you're in a problem it's really a "problem".

A shame so few people have tried this game.

Hey hey! Perfect time to check out the recent fan translation of Steins;Gate. It's pretty wonderful, and I haven't seen the anime but supposedly the VN is tons better.

There's.... some...... other, semi-recent VNs, mentioned at various points in this very thread, that are REALLY good, but I don't want to say their name because the time travel aspect is a huge spoiler. You may know some of the ones I'm talking about, I'm strongly guessing, but I can spoiler tag some names if not.

Steins;Gate is probably the safest way to go. Also, Time Hollow if you own a NDS/3DS.

If you're looking for science-oriented novels (not about time travel, but about other phenomena and stuff), practically every VN written by Uchikoshi is also a good bet (Ever17, 999, Virtue's Last Reward).

Thanks, guys! Yes, I have played and love 999 and VLR. Other than that, I'm looking for something new, so I'll give Steins;Gate a go!

I know this isn't so much a VN, but I recently played Shadow of Destiny (Memories) on PS2 recently, and that's one of my favorite games including time travel. Check it out if you've never played it. :)

Spierek

Fun fact: Apparently the same guy who wrote Shadows of Destiny later created the plot for Time Hollow, so it might be right up your alley. It's shorter than S;G, too (which might be a perk for some people).

Yirba

I've never played Time Hollow, but I've heard a lot of good things about it. It's kinda out-of-print by now, but I'll see if I can track down a copy. :)

999 and Virtue's Last Reward are both great games. It's kind of a shame that copies of Ever17 are practically impossible to find anymore, since it's something I would very much like to own.

Fun fact: Apparently the same guy who wrote Shadows of Destiny later created the plot for Time Hollow, so it might be right up your alley. It's shorter than S;G, too (which might be a perk for some people).
Oh really ?
It was a great game (shadows of destiny)
Its not a Vn but the time travel mecanics were very intresting

It's kind of a shame that copies of Ever17 are practically impossible to find anymore, since it's something I would very much like to own.
It IS a complete and utter shame, since after 999 and VLR I think people would be much more likely to accept another Uchikoshi game.

And as much as I love the Zero Escape games, I think by the end of the true ending, Ever 17 still stands as my favorite game he's written.

I don't know what the legal and social rules are regarding abandonware, but it would be an absolutely terrible shame if there was truly no way for a company to take that commercially released version and toss it on steam for a pittance. There's always hope they'll keep releasing versions on later consoles, and maybe someone like XSeed will be up to the challenge.

Tizoc

Higurashi is available at Desura.com, will get it in the next few months.
Any other visual novels on Desura worth getting?

"Analog: A Hate Story" is bar none, one of the best games I've ever played, but might not fit into what you'd tonally expect from a visual novel, beyond the raw mechanics.

It's also available on steam though, if that's your platform of choice.

I don't think there is anything tonally unique about Analog: A Hate Story, though there aren't many VNs focused on feminism. It's decent if you don't mind how low budget it is even by VN standards. There's very little art or sound, and the whole thing is told through reading emails. It can be a bit heavy handed at times as well.

Yirba

I don't know what the legal and social rules are regarding abandonware, but it would be an absolutely terrible shame if there was truly no way for a company to take that commercially released version and toss it on steam for a pittance. There's always hope they'll keep releasing versions on later consoles, and maybe someone like XSeed will be up to the challenge.

I'm hoping that maybe JAST USA will make a deal with Hirameki (or whoever owns the rights now) to re-release the game or something. After all, JAST USA seem to be distributing some of Hirameki's games that are still available.

There's EVE burst error, which is quite an old murder mystery game, but also quite a classic.

And also Go! Go! Nippon! ~My First Trip to Japan~, which is the first visual novel from a Japanese company (Overdrive, creators of Edelweiss, Kira Kira, Deardrops and Dengeki Stryker) aimed specifically at the overseas market. It's kinda like a travel guide to different parts of Japan, but also a lot of fun.

Spierek

It IS a complete and utter shame, since after 999 and VLR I think people would be much more likely to accept another Uchikoshi game.

And as much as I love the Zero Escape games, I think by the end of the true ending, Ever 17 still stands as my favorite game he's written.

From what I've read, the rights to the game (and the series) are split up between several parties and it's hard to determine who can do what with them, so I wouldn't be getting my hopes up for a re-release.
; _;

Yirba

I've been meaning to buy a copy of Rewrite, but never got round to it. I should probably try to get one soon.

I've heard a lot of great things about it. Three brilliant writers (Romeo Tanaka, Yuuto Tonokawa and Ryukishi07) contributed to the story, so I'm very much looking forward to playing it.

Rewrite has an average user rating of 8.73 on VNDB. For reference, Little Busters! and Planetarian (both also from Key) got 8.81 and 8.18 respectively.

It also got an average user rating of 77% on EroGameScape, which is a very good score on that site.

Metrotab

Banned
Got started on Mai's route in Kanon today. It's fun to go back and compare different visual novels. Kanon is a lot more atmospheric, the whole game practically breathes winter.

Just finished shion route in "otoboku".

My goodness why why did the anime didn't adapt this novel properly ?
3/6 routes done , the game is pretty much awesome.. minus the hentai that is laughable... but the writting is awesome.

The localisation was pretty good , with an awesome translation and a lot of lenght. i wish mangagamer could annonce the 2nd otoboku game right now.

PewPewK

Has anyone played Utawarerumono? I just recently watched the anime, and was interested in playing the VN, especially since it's apparently getting a sequel, but having problems getting it to run unfortunately. :( Is it worth the time to troubleshoot?

Has anyone played Utawarerumono? I just recently watched the anime, and was interested in playing the VN, especially since it's apparently getting a sequel, but having problems getting it to run unfortunately. :( Is it worth the time to troubleshoot?

I have played the pc and the ps2 version.
Pc version is the one translated ..you can patch that version to add the voice from the ps2 version into the pc game.

Utawarerumono is a good game.but let me tell you if you've watched the anime Tv serie and the oavs/specials , you have already seen all the events that the game will provide you. ( aside from 2 things )

The game itself is not that great but still quite good. i trully think the anime team has done the best job they could with the plot of this game.

On a gameplay side ( tactical stratégy ) , it's ok but tears to tiara is better . However some devious parts from the anime have trully some devious levels in the game so even on normal difficulty you can expect a somewhat decent challenge. the EXTRA HARD difficulty is legendary hard however.
On a story side it's still ok. I think it's a great game.

PewPewK

I have played the pc and the ps2 version.
Pc version is the one translated ..you can patch that version to add the voice from the ps2 version into the pc game.

Utawarerumono is a good game.but let me tell you if you've watched the anime Tv serie and the oavs/specials , you have already seen all the events that the game will provide you. ( aside from 2 things )

The game itself is not that great but still quite good. i trully think the anime team has done the best job they could with the plot of this game.

On a gameplay side ( tactical stratégy ) , it's ok but tears to tiara is better . However some devious parts from the anime have trully some devious levels in the game so even on normal difficulty you can expect a somewhat decent challenge. the EXTRA HARD difficulty is legendary hard however.
On a story side it's still ok. I think it's a great game.

So essentially watching the anime covered everything I would need to know going into Utawarerumono 2 with the exception of 2 events? If that's the case, I'll probably just look up videos of those, because I don't have time to play through the exact same story again (It'd be worth it if I could at least get a decent amount of new story elements).

So essentially watching the anime covered everything I would need to know going into Utawarerumono 2 with the exception of 2 events? If that's the case, I'll probably just look up videos of those, because I don't have time to play through the exact same story again (It'd be worth it if I could at least get a decent amount of new story elements).

2 events is too much lol . by watching the tv anime + the oavs ( i insist on the oavs ) you got everything.
The anime trully adapted everything except the case of the baby with Urtori that got covered in the oavs.
And plenty of the rest of the funny and comic events were covered in the specials or the rest of the oavs.
By not playing the pc version you'll miss the hentai scenes and some light scenes in the epilogue

Game is good..but you've seen everything in the anime ( from a plot perspective ).

Yirba

Any other possibly free VN like Katawa Shoujo that you folks can recommend?
Narcissu
It's in the first post of this thread. ( yes it's free and yes it's legal )
and you can guess why it was recommanded.
Narcissu is a very good game. One thing I should note is that the link in the first post is outdated. Instead, download from Neechin.net, which includes the sequel (or prequel, depending on your definition), as well as improved/additional translations.

So if I wanted to play the Steins;Gate fan translation how would I go about doing that?
First, you purchase the Japanese version of the PC game, then you download the translation patch and apply it to the game.

r3z0n

Neo Member
So I've been played Sengoku Rance extensively for the past few weeks, completed 2 of the IF routes too (Monkey Kill and Isoroku). Any other Rance fans here?

So I've been played Sengoku Rance extensively for the past few weeks, completed 2 of the IF routes too (Monkey Kill and Isoroku). Any other Rance fans here?

Rance player here ... currently messing with the rance 3 game.
waiting for rance 6 and rance quest translations to be completed.

man i wish i had plot armor and a hyper weapon IRL

Dantis

So this topic is pretty huge (I feel like I may have even posted in it before?) so I'll just ask my question and hope people don't beat me up or whatever.

I'm looking to play the Infinity series and Steins;Gate, because they're both apparently amazotron. Is there any way for me to legally obtain them and them patch them into English or something? Or are there just English versions available? Or am I completely out of luck?

I have no idea how these things are distributed! :/

Sandfox

So this topic is pretty huge (I feel like I may have even posted in it before?) so I'll just ask my question and hope people don't beat me up or whatever.

I'm looking to play the Infinity series and Steins;Gate, because they're both apparently amazotron. Is there any way for me to legally obtain them and them patch them into English or something? Or are there just English versions available? Or am I completely out of luck?

I have no idea how these things are distributed! :/

You can buy the Japanese versions online and patch them. Ever 17(the best game in the Infinity series IMO) was released in english but its been out of print for a long time and its too expensive to even think about buying.

Dantis

Any recommendations of where I can find the Japanese versions?

I guess I should just have a root through this topic, really. I'm sure somebody else has asked these questions.

Marche90

The Rewrite complete patch has been released.

Awesome! Will download the patch later!.

Also, never expected to see you here, Dantis. Yeah, you can buy the jap version of S;G and patch it to english. Also, this will be fun: I'm fully expecting you to hate Faris. Anyway, yeah, the story is amazing, and it is my favorite VN, if that helps.

Ever17, however... good luck getting that.

cj_iwakura

Awesome! Will download the patch later!.

Also, never expected to see you here, Dantis. Yeah, you can buy the jap version of S;G and patch it to english. Also, this will be fun: I'm fully expecting you to hate Faris. Anyway, yeah, the story is amazing, and it is my favorite VN, if that helps.

Ever17, however... good luck getting that.

Fair warning: S;G takes like two chapters to get going. But oh, once it does.

Necrovex

First, you purchase the Japanese version of the PC game, then you download the translation patch and apply it to the game.

EVER17 ? good luck to find a legit copy ...

as for stein gate ... j-list has copies but you might find copies elsewhere too. Be carefull to get pc version and not the others ( ps3/360 versions )

You two are simply dashing. I am getting $50 back in the next week, so I will use that fund to buy Steins;Gate and finally play this glorious game. I saw the anime a while back, fell in love with it, so I am really excited to play the actual game.

I might go down this route if someone can confirm this is completely legit. I would rather buy it digitally than go through the hassle of importing.

Plus it is about $20 cheaper. And I enjoy cheaper products!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom