• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enlightened Season 2 |OT| Even agents of change get cancelled sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
anaron said:
"Too depressing for a half hour, uncomfortable and awkward to watch, who is this show for?"

All were repeating sentences in the more negative responses to the show.

That right there is depressing. :/

Do people find Amy unlikable? I thought she was portrayed rather sympathetically, which actually surprised me, as, going off the premise alone, I thought the show was going to mock her (depressingly) unrealistic sense of optimism, while it actually played it all rather straight.

Yeah, one of the major complaints that people had with the show was that Amy was too unlikable and grating. I also found her to be a very sympathetic character and I can't quite understand why so many people find her to be so unlikable.

Not unless all the other critics are doing it too.

Exactly. Television criticism, especially of the online variety, really doesn't have all that much diversity of opinion.

Seeing this show get raked over the coals in its first season was annoying. Watching other crap on HBO like Girls and Game of Thrones get massively overpraised just makes it that much more aggravating.

EktorPR

I wouldn't call Game of Thrones and GIRLS "crap", but I get ya': Enlightened has to be HBO's most daring, thought-provoking show on the air right now.

anaron

ocgZH.jpg

fKCDq.jpg

I know it's bound to change as more reviews are added...but don't you just wish it wouldn't? :p

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I know it's bound to change as more reviews are added...but don't you just wish it wouldn't? :p

I wouldn't be surprised if the rating didn't change that much because out of the very small amount of critics who even bother to watch Enlightened, most if not all, seem to really love the show.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I wouldn't be surprised if the rating didn't change that much because out of the very small amount of critics who even bother to watch Enlightened, most if not all, seem to really love the show.
Agreed. I look at culture blogs every now and then, but I hadn't heard about Enlightened before I saw this thread. The Metacritic score makes me happy that the second season is still up to snuff, and hopefully people who draw on the site for recommendations will give the series a try.

anaron

Ken Tucker/Entertainment Weekly: 'Enlightened' season premiere review: Watch this Laura Dern show tonight, please

There’s a lot on TV tonight — the Golden Globes, new episodes of The Good Wife and Downton Abbey, the season premiere of Girls — but let me urge you to try and catch the second-season premiere of HBO’s Enlightened. This half-hour co-created by co-stars Laura Dern and Mike White is extraordinarily good: funny and moving and constantly surprising.

Last season, Dern’s Amy Jellicoe was a fragile figure, recently returned from a post-breakdown retreat during which she latched onto the idea that she, like every other human, had the opportunity to “make a difference,” to do meaningful work in the world. But her spiritual quest was constantly challenged by the soul-crushing nature of her job at the gigantic corporation Abaddonn, for which she worked inputting data in a grim basement office.

I can understand why Enlightened didn’t become a big, instant hit. To many viewers, the show was a downer, and one was left confused in many scenes as to whether one was supposed to laugh at Amy, feel sorry for her, or be moved by her plight. I, along with the rest of the show’s cult following, laughed and was moved, and never felt sorry for her for a moment. Dern fleshed out Amy so that she became a plucky fighter, even when she was fighting against her own best interests.

If you gave up on Enlightened because of its tone, by all means give it another try, because this season, Amy has a new, invigorating mission that permits her to step outside of her hemmed-in self-absorption. She wants to do nothing less than bring down the Abeddonn corporation. A Norma Rae with crinkly hair and a stork’s gait, Amy enlists her office ally Tyler (White) in hacking the company system and contacting a Los Angeles Times reporter played by Dermot Mulroney to try and help use the information to create a blockbuster expose.

The Nation: Everybody Should Be Watching HBO's Enlightened
...This can make the show something of an acquired taste. A couple of friends I’ve recommended it to come back confused. Are they supposed to “like” Amy? Sometimes she has tantrums; sometimes her social skills are off. She doesn’t really obey the conventions of melodrama, in seeming neither tragic nor heroic in her crusades. And in that she is actually more like a real human being, really trying to Do The Right Thing by her family, by her friends, and by the world, and finding that in fact the path to doing just that is not as clear as it seems.

Oddly, that suddenly makes the show much like Girls, doesn’t it? But Hannah Horvath and Amy are very different people. “The Right Thing” is not of any concern to Girls. The world outside Hannah and her friends barely exists for them, and while Girls does poke fun at that, it also doesn’t present any alternative viewpoint. Enlightened’s Amy was once, it seems, more like this, more wrapped up in her own life, and less prone to consider people outside her immediate vicinity. The show is about her process of opening herself up, one which runs in a less-than-ruler-straight line.

It’s a tiresome trope to hold a television character up as a “role model” – Amy’s fictional, after all. But watching White dramatize this process, which he has occasionally suggested is related to his own (he has told interviewers he had a similar breakdown in 2004), does inspire, at least a little. All those movies about the corporate whistleblowers and activists and their heroics, they seem so righteous, so convinced from the start that what they are doing is right and good. I mean, what they are doing is right and good. But the path to doing something that matters to a world wider than your own, well, it should involve a lot of self-questioning. Particularly if, like Amy, your day job ends up being more sinister than the banal, sunny corporate-speak that you’d been brought up your whole life to believe in.

The premiere is tonight, on HBO, following Girls, wherever you are.

Tonight is the night!

Uzkq0.gif

Empty

fuck that was so good, straight from the bewitching opening voiceover (<3 englightened's soundtrack) i was loving it. i liked how it made me annoyed at amy with how she was treating poor tyler - "i started going to the gym", "how do you know i don't have any plans", leaving him in the car while she dolled up :( :( - along with how obviously she was running into massive dissapointment with her over-optimism at how the story would change america. it built up that irritation all episode nicely then killed those feelings in an instant in the scene where she breaks down and talks about not wanting to be small which was so beautiful and emotional.

the first half seemed funnier than usual too - i'm not sure what's more amusing, leaking corporate information at tgi fridays or pretending you're going there for a date.

zeeaykay

Great start to the season! I really hope Tyler stops getting played and gets let into Amy's circle. Was pretty upset when she left him in the car. But damn, did she "redeem" herself with that emotional monologue about being sick of dying and being no one. Can't wait to see where it goes from here!

Awesome episode.

It set up a pretty interesting plot for the season and I cracked up when Amy made Tyler wait in the car.

I love this show. I hope being paired with the god-awful Girls boosted its ratings, but I fear that it won't.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Solid premiere. If that (along with next week's episode) was supposed to be one of the weak episodes, then I can't wait to see the rest of the season. Man, I'm so glad to have this show back.

I was wondering though - how long has it been in Enlightened time since season 1 ended? Krista is still pregnant (though I don't recall whether or not she was showing in season 1) so it couldn't have been very long. It seems like it's only been a few days since Amy got the JULIE_BITCH password and started rooting through corporate emails.

And I'm curious to see what's going on with Levi. He went to Open Air, but if it's only been a few days since he left, are we going to see him going through rehab or will we find out that he didn't end up enrolling after all?

it built up that irritation all episode nicely then killed those feelings in an instant in the scene where she breaks down and talks about not wanting to be small which was so beautiful and emotional.

That was a wonderful scene. Enlightened excels at making beautiful, relatable, affecting scenes like that.

dead souls said:
I hope being paired with the god-awful Girls boosted its ratings, but I fear that it won't.

I think it will, somewhat. Season 1 aired on a Monday and averaged around 120,000-150,000 viewers (though it received 260,000 viewers for the season finale). Girls averaged 800,000-1,000,000 viewers, plus I feel like the awards and hype over the last year will bolster the ratings for Girls even more, so hopefully at least some of them will sample Enlightened. (though Girls was pulling those numbers with Game of Thrones and Veep as lead ins, so it's probable that the ratings in season 2 won't be as high as the first season's. Also, the Golden Globes aired tonight so that might interfere with things a bit.)

And I feel like by airing on Sundays it's bound to get a better audience by default since that's the day in which people are used to watching HBO shows, plus hopefully a lot of people watched it on HBO GO after Laura Dern won the Golden Globe. There's no way the show becomes a break out hit, but I can't see the ratings staying where they were or going lower. On average, I'm expecting season 2 to at least match the ratings of last season's finale; So around 260,000 per episode. Which still wouldn't be very high (it would still be the lowest rated show on HBO, I think) but...I guess I just don't really know what to expect from two half hour shows with no big drama lead in in January.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
That was a little weak, especially with the forced dialogue at the end. However, I was tense and focused when she made the call and agreed to meet the guy, and also while she played the waiting game. I'll certainly see what's up next if this was the weakest.

inm8num2

I like this show. It's quite easy for me to root for Amy. I can relate in ways.

It's frustrating how people on the show treat her. That's how it is in real life. People act like they want the best for you, but they laugh behind your back.

I hope Amy gives all those smug corporate pricks a huge comeuppance this season.

Loved the premiere. Amy's over earnestness is utterly endearing. Also found every scene where she was talking in a hushed voice, hiding from co workers etc. hilarious. I love how Dern plays those scenes (and every scene and moment and all of everything she is amazing you guys), she hits a right balance of endearing awkwardness with oddly understandable delusions of grandeur. We know what she has is potentially huge, but it's still hilarious to see her be so suspicious of everything.

That closing monologue was gorgeous as well, I don't think I'm gonna be able to look at skyscrapers the same way anymore.

I think it will, somewhat. Season 1 aired on a Monday and averaged around 120,000-150,000 viewers (though it received 260,000 viewers for the season finale). Girls averaged 800,000-1,000,000 viewers, plus I feel like the awards and hype over the last year will bolster the ratings for Girls even more, so hopefully at least some of them will sample Enlightened. (though Girls was pulling those numbers with Game of Thrones and Veep as lead ins, so it's probable that the ratings in season 2 won't be as high as the first season's. Also, the Golden Globes aired tonight so that might interfere with things a bit.)

And I feel like by airing on Sundays it's bound to get a better audience by default since that's the day in which people are used to watching HBO shows, plus hopefully a lot of people watched it on HBO GO after Laura Dern won the Golden Globe. There's no way the show becomes a break out hit, but I can't see the ratings staying where they were or going lower. On average, I'm expecting season 2 to at least match the ratings of last season's finale; So around 260,000 per episode. Which still wouldn't be very high (it would still be the lowest rated show on HBO, I think) but...I guess I just don't really know what to expect from two half hour shows with no big drama lead in in January.

Until I read this I had totally forgotten that season one aired on Mondays. So yeah, this season should definitely improve in the ratings, which makes me happy. I just hope it's enough to get a third season ordered.

anaron

Solid premiere and man, what a brilliantly unsettling contrast to the season one's finale. It's so good to have this show back.

Some especially gorgeous direction in Amy's monologues about corruption and such. And what a perfect callback/integration of the turtle. If anything, further confirming Amy's totally going to go through some major pain. I mean, I didn't really ever see her coming out of this unscathed, but they've created a great sense of looming dread.

Helen's "what the hell" and Amy's "I'm a perfectionist" + subsequent behavior around the workplace were hilarious.

Something I will be annoying about and nitpick though is: has there really been no time lapse? Amy and most of the characters have all had some pretty noticeable haircuts and Tyler and Amy seem much more comfortable with eachother than where they left off in the finale.

destrudo

I forgot how much of an emotional reaction this show manages to get out of me.

It makes me uncomfortable, happy, sad and optimistic all in the same episode.

ivysaur12

Banned
I forgot how much of an emotional reaction this show manages to get out of me.

It makes me uncomfortable, happy, sad and optimistic all in the same episode.

I have yet to make it through an episode of Enlightened without pausing for sheer second hand embarrassment. But this show is the master of expressing real, visceral emotions that real people feel. It's incredible.

Don't know what that is for one telecast, but it doesn't exactly matter. Girls got 1.6 million for three telecasts. So, not a bad start. That one telecast could be a series high.
Deadline:
Enlightened was also back for its second season Sunday but on a new night. The 9:30 airing pulled in 300,000 viewers last night. That’s a 43% rise from its season one Monday premiere last year.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Don't know what that is for one telecast, but it doesn't exactly matter. Girls got 1.6 million for three telecasts. So, not a bad start. That one telecast could be a series high.

600,000 across three telecasts...that doesn't sound too good when Girls got 1,000,000 more viewers across its three telecasts. I feel like it should have been higher. I guess we'll find out the exact numbers tomorrow, though hopefully the first telecast was a series high.

EDIT: Series high! Fuck yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

M66ib.gif

anaron

Encouraging ratings! Let's hope they keep rising as the season goes on. I noticed on twitter that more and more critics are jumping aboard this ship, so I doubt (aka, pray) we'll have to be as on edge about a renewal. :)

Clevinger

"The second season debut of Girls was the same night that the show’s creator and star Lena Dunham won a Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Comedy Series and the show won Best TV Comedy."

Christ. It must be nice to have the whole criticsphere both positively and negatively obsessed with you and your show.

"The second season debut of Girls was the same night that the show&#8217;s creator and star Lena Dunham won a Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Comedy Series and the show won Best TV Comedy."

Christ. It must be nice to have the whole criticsphere both positively and negatively obsessed with you and your show.

Yeah, never before has so much been digital ink been spilled over a show that is so slight.

I was just happy to see that Shameless absolutely fucking demolished it in the ratings.

ivysaur12

Banned
Yeah, never before has so much been digital ink been spilled over a show that is so slight.

I was just happy to see that Shameless absolutely fucking demolished it in the ratings.

To be fair, you had been a loud aspect of that conversation on GAF when the show premiered. That's not to say that Girls deserves the awards recognition its received (I'm of the mind that's it's a very, very good show with notable issues), but it's rare that a show with that sized audience has amassed this type of conversation. And vitriol.

Not liking a show is one thing and engaging in well-meaning discussion about a show's faults and successes is exactly what message boards are meant to do. But taking that another step further is something entire different, especially because negative criticism can often come with a condescending air that diffuses discussion. There's something so frustrating about every single mention of the show being qualified with a hyper-negative adjective, even in threads that have nothing to do with that particular show.

This thread/conversation isn't/shouldn't be about Girls.

Klocker

yea just caught up... really enjoyed it...

I hung in there last year and was moved many times and it grew on me but as was said is almost uncomfortable to watch her... reporter... what;s his name... giving her a real world ally is a nice change since she is all alone in her world usually

ivysaur12

Banned
I only brought it up because I thought Lena won those Globes and Dern didn't and I was a little pissed. I had no idea Dern won one for Enlightened last year.

Enlightened's second season was eligible for the Globes because of their midseason airing and that their awards season runs on a calendar year instead of a seasonal one due to their belief of doing film and television awards on the same night.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Maureen Ryan has finally come to her senses and has watched Enlightened! (she avoided it up till now for some lame ass reason or other) She even calls it the best show on HBO!

A Brilliant, Must-See Return For The HBO Gem (possible spoilers)

The show's must-see second season is one of the best stories I've experienced in a long time (HBO sent all eight Season 2 episodes for review). And -- appropriately for a show about a woman who wants to live a more vivid and connected life -- it is an experience.

anaron

THE ENLIGHTENING HAS COME, PRAISE ITS LIGHT

I've been re-watching season one on blu-ray (the commentaries are absolutely adorable) and noticed something that the season two premiere has seemingly retconned. Starting in episode six, Amy's car is finally repaired and she drives to (what I assume is?) the Los Angeles airport twice throughout the season. (Sandy, Levi)

Season two opens with her car back to being damaged and Amy unable to make it to LA in it. :/

inm8num2

Hopefully the show can get a boost from the Girls leftovers.

Enlightened really is a fantastic show. I don't know how to describe it to anyone, though.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
THE ENLIGHTENING HAS COME, PRAISE ITS LIGHT

I've been re-watching season one on blu-ray (the commentaries are absolutely adorable) and noticed something that the season two premiere has seemingly retconned. Starting in episode six, Amy's car is finally repaired and she drives to (what I assume is?) the Los Angeles airport twice throughout the season. (Sandy, Levi)

Season two opens with her car back to being damaged and Amy unable to make it to LA in it. :/

That's a pretty big mistake on their part. I'll forgive them just this once though.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE

That's a pretty big mistake on their part. I'll forgive them just this once though.
Are you sure it's the exact same car and she's not using a rental? Maybe Amy's mother let her borrow her car for this one instance. These are fairly bold accusations you're making.

Empty

this might not cover any new ground for the devoted enlightened fans here but i thought this article about mike white and the show was very nice. there's some well written bits that capture why the show is so good and while i knew broader stuff about the show being based on white's life experiences i wasn't aware of some of the more intimate details. he's an interesting guy and i hope the show takes off for his sake as well as meaning i get more episodes and more people get to enjoy it.

http://www.tnr.com/article/books-and-arts/111959/can-mike-white-change-television-tk#

anaron

Great episode. Things are already getting dark as fuck. Poor Omar. :( (I know Jason Mantzoukas is on the League so maybe he couldn't commit anymore?) I'm actually surprised the show is having Amy & Tyler's experience these kind of repercussions so early the season...I dread what else may happen. They better leave Connie out of this, I nearly panicked when the camera panned to her after Tyler's comment.

I've been most excited to see how Amy would deal with the aftermath of Krista and co. so it was incredibly comforting to see the show return to that aspect, regardless of the horrible circumstance. I know Amy was being ridiculous but man, fuck off Janice. Big yay to seeing Harper again, Riki Lindhome is awesome.

Oh and the fantasy charge and accompanying score tonight were brilliant,

inm8num2

Rafi/Omar was hilarious, but in a sad way.

I don't trust the journalist. I think he's playing Amy for his own scoop, possibly something he's been investigating himself before Amy contacted him, and he's going to stick her out to dry badly.

I freaking hate how Janice, Krista, and others treat Amy. Their hostility is so palpable, and yet Amy does her best to smile and be nice. I hate when people are like that. Jerks.

I freaking hate how Janice, Krista, and others treat Amy. Their hostility is so palpable, and yet Amy does her best to smile and be nice. I hate when people are like that. Jerks.

I don't get this reading of the show at all. Amy is a fascinating character precisely because of how deluded, narcissistic, and off-putting she is. She would not be a pleasant person to interact with on a day-to-day basis at all.

ivysaur12

Banned
I don't get this reading of the show at all. Amy is a fascinating character precisely because of how deluded, narcissistic, and off-putting she is. She would not be a pleasant person to interact with on a day-to-day basis at all.

But Krista and Janice and co. are just as nasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom