• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enslaved NEW screens

Personally, I do think HS looks better than what we have seen here...the lighting at least is more striking and it just has a far more coherent art style...Still seeing it motion could definitely change my opinion.

Just a bit disappointed because although it looks nice enough, when HS was released it was easily one of the best looking console games...this doesn't seem to be the case here though

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Well, this certainly looks... like an UE3-game. Def a step backwards from HS graphically, both art- and tech-wise. Hell, Batman: Arkham Asylum managed to not entirely look like a UE3-engine-game and that was by nobodies RockSteady, a studio noone heard of prior to Arkham.

Gameplay could be interesting, but I'm not holding my breath.

Lebron

WickedLaharl said:
the only thing HS had going for it graphically were the amazing cutscenes.
Basically. This looks pretty on par with what HS looked like during actual gameplay.

Anyway, looks like it could be interesting. I enjoyed HS for the most part, despite it's flaws. Though that was mostly due to the cutscenes/story. If this doesn't have that, then well yeah, probably won't give a damn.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
HS looked nice enough, but good lord, the framerate was atrocious. If they can at least keep a consistent framerate this time, it will look better in the end.

Rollo Larson said:
just going by the screens in this thread, i disagree.

HS is represented poorly in screens though...UE3 games usually look at least as good in screens as in game. textures in HS were pretty damn good as well, and geometry wise it was probably more impressive than any UE3 game Ive played. I am reserving judgement until I see it in motion, but as of now I am not particularly impressed with the visuals

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
so why they droped HS engine ? is it because Sony funded Heavenly Sword ( and cambridge helped NT with the engine ) or because they went 360 and HS engine may run like crap on other platform ( well Itagaki didn't use Sigma engine for NG2 and even Kojima will not use MGS4 engine for MGS Rising too ) ?

Sho_Nuff82 said:
From those screens you can immediately tell that Enslaved has better texture fidelity, AA, and significantly higher poly counts on character models.

What parts look better than HS other than pushing more characters on screen (from what we've seen anyway)?
HS had 4xMSAA, the 360 and PS3 versions of Enslaved wont be any better. Also, I've never ever seen a UE3 console game with 4xMSAA, I always see selective 2xAA (and sometimes no AA) and some hazy blur filter that further reduces jaggies.

Turk

I don't get the Unreal hate. The engine has grown a lot in recent years.

If you hate how it looks, compared to HS, blame the artists that decided to saturate everything with a green tint and not put in any bloom. The post apocolyptic world is a style choice not an Unreal choice.

nelsonroyale said:
HS is represented poorly in screens though...UE3 games usually look at least as good in screens as in game. textures in HS were pretty damn good as well, and geometry wise it was probably more impressive than any UE3 game Ive played. I am reserving judgement until I see it in motion, but as of now I am not particularly impressed with the visuals

i dont understand this talk of textures and geometry. i am familiar with UE3 though and can almost identify it by sight now in some games. my argument is that is doesnt matter. there's a huge list of games somewhere that will back up my point, even as recent as batman arkham asylum.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Turk said:
I don't get the Unreal hate. The engine has grown a lot in recent years.

it's also very good on PS3 now ( see Batman AA + 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand they are identical to 360 versions )

If you hate how it looks, compared to HS, blame the artists that decided to saturate everything with a green tint and not put in any bloom. The post apocolyptic world is a style choice not an Unreal choice.

pretty much , Mirror's Edge , The Agency , APB , Borderlands , Mass Effect , Shadow Complex , The Last Remnant are all UE3 games but they look very different than they typical UE3's muddy "look " so if someone want to blame , blame the artists not the engine.

There are a bunch of UE3 console games with 2xAA (Batman AA, Mirror's Edge, Mass Effect,, but I'm having trouble thinking of any with 4xAA. I think Splinter Cell Double Agent is one.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Rollo Larson said:
just going by the screens in this thread, i disagree.
You do realise that the ground in those screens looks like its composed of a flat plane made up of about two triangles, right?

Its so ugly I can't stand it. The environment detail is ridiculously bad.

HS is unquestionably better looking.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
-viper- said:
looks kinda crappy. then again, they're using UE3. the most ugly engine in the world.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

BobsRevenge said:
You do realise that the ground in those screens looks like its composed of a flat plane made up of about two triangles, right?

Its so ugly I can't stand it. The environment detail is ridiculously bad.

HS is unquestionably better looking.

looks like grass and dirt to me

OK so if they dont want to confuse people into thinking thats Nariko then why the fuck does it look 100% like Nariko. Will the character say shes descended from an ancient clan of warriors or something?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
pseudocaesar said:
OK so if they dont want to confuse people into thinking thats Nariko then why the fuck does it look 100% like Nariko. Will the character say shes descended from an ancient clan of warriors or something?

Clearly a lot of inbreeding in that clan...

nelsonroyale said:

HS is represented even more poorly in motion

Ramenman

nelsonroyale said:
Just a bit disappointed because although it looks nice enough, when HS was released it was easily one of the best looking console games...this doesn't seem to be the case here though

*KEYWORD ALERT*

deepbrown

Ramenman said:
*KEYWORD ALERT*
Uh, still one of the best looking engines on consoles.

Name me another console engine that does all the following. 4xAA, 8xAF, HDR, 720p.

In fact name any console game with 8xAF

Kittonwy

Banned
pseudocaesar said:

Probably the same character artist with a preference for red heads (who doesn't?).

deepbrown said:
Uh, still one of the best looking engines on consoles.

Name me another console engine that does all the following. 4xAA, 8xAF, HDR, 720p.

In fact name any console game with 8xAF

they should've toned all that shit down and focused on a solid 30fps and v-sync :lol

deepbrown

WickedLaharl said:
they should've toned all that shit down and focused on a solid 30fps and v-sync :lol
Yawn - they had problems sure, but they were basically forced to push it out of the door. Their tech is still seen in quite a few games today - and you'll see it in Brink for example.

cornerman

From what I read in GameInformer, I think the game has potential...much like Heavenly Sword IP does. I expect the characters and story presentations to be great...I think the key will be capitalizing on the gameplay potential.

I've played and own Heavenly Sword, and its a game that I enjoyed (seeing as I still own it), but I do recognize its flaws, and can understand why some people might be adverse to it. An iteration might be all they need to iron it all out.

As far as UE3, I haven't been too fond of the majority of developers' use of the engine. I haven't used it, so I don't know the full extent of the tech. Outside of development costs, I figure its the mindset behind 'purchasing an engine' as opposed to 'creating one'.

But whatever, I look forward to seeing more on this game.

charsace

Some of you are looking at HS through rose tinted glasses. This game easily has better character models and textures than HS.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
charsace said:
Some of you are looking at HS through rose tinted glasses. This game easily has better character models and textures than HS.
Not necessarily the textures. I can't stress enough how much worse the environment is. Look at how ugly and low-poly everything is back there. Look at how horrible the textures are.

It makes me want to vomit my eyes out.

edit: Look at the dude's hair.

Family-Guy-Puke-A-Thon-family-guy-2772560-513-386.gif

element

deepbrown said:
Their tech is still seen in quite a few games today - and you'll see it in Brink for example.
what? because deano is working on brink it uses tech from heavenly sword? that is a stretch, and somewhat illegal.
Brink is based on ID Tech 4 with mega textures and then a whole bunch of additions after the fact.

Top Bottom